Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your cat's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 11-03-2008, 11:25 AM
PetFinder Guru

Location: Seri Kembangan, Selangor (Yeah, we got free water!)
sillylupie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: [Dagu Berkarat] Feline Acne, "Kitty Acne"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by abgraldo View Post
Yay.. me too. The old plastic one will do for my maggi mee..hahaha
Maggi Mee?????????? Pakcu nie ar... remember to use fork and spoon, nanti tumbuh kitty acne baru tau.

sillylupie-shop
http://sillylupie-shop.blogspot.com
Old 11-03-2008, 11:32 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynielime View Post
hmm... i've switched to metal bowls but ninja fatty's chin zits aren't going away. what should i do now?
Lynie, do you feed Ninja with wet food?
I noticed ONION's chin zits started appearing days after feeding them "once-a-day" wet food, mixed with kibbles and Vitamin Oil!!! I thought it will go away but it didn't!!

So, I am now taking off the Vitamin Oil and Wet Food, now monitoring to see if ONION gets better. Her 'zits' are quite bad. Rest of the furry kids are ok though.

sillylupie-shop
Old 11-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillylupie View Post
I noticed ONION's chin zits started appearing days after feeding them "once-a-day" wet food, mixed with kibbles and Vitamin Oil!!! I thought it will go away but it didn't!!

So, I am now taking off the Vitamin Oil and Wet Food, now monitoring to see if ONION gets better. Her 'zits' are quite bad. Rest of the furry kids are ok though.
I think you can still give her the wet food, but if she is a sloppish eater and a sloppish cleaner (some cats do not clean themselves well) then dia punya Mama/Papa kena follow-up with a moist towel several times la ... that's what slaves are for kan?
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 11-03-2008, 11:46 AM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road

Quote:

nope i don't usually feed him wet food.. only as a treat once in a while. he used to be ok with me picking out the zits.. he would just lie there and let me do it. but now he finds it annoying and he will squirm and run away..
Old 11-03-2008, 11:59 AM
PetFinder Guru

Lynie, I think it must be painful for Ninja. Bad cases of cat acne will bleed too.

ONION's case, fur surrounding her zits area are beginning to drop and it is reddish, plus its "zits" land area is growing bigger! Like an army taking over ONION's chin.

I am giving it one week, to see if she improves, if not, gotta send her to vet!

Or, could it be the cat kibbles being too oily? I notice RC is kind of oily too ...

sillylupie-shop
Old 11-03-2008, 12:19 PM
PetFinder Guru

yeah i think you're right.. its probably for painful for him and irritating too. i don't want someone grabbing my face and pinching and poking it either.

i suppose its possible the kibble is too oily. i usually feed him acana adult and its pretty oily. i think seeking advice from a vet is a good idea.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

Oh, poor ONION.

Maybe u can taste RC & see if it has an oily taste. I recently switched to Blackwood, and it's not oily, nor does it have any MSG (read snack) flavour.

Quote:
Lynie, I think it must be painful for Ninja. Bad cases of cat acne will bleed too.

ONION's case, fur surrounding her zits area are beginning to drop and it is reddish, plus its "zits" land area is growing bigger! Like an army taking over ONION's chin.

I am giving it one week, to see if she improves, if not, gotta send her to vet!

Or, could it be the cat kibbles being too oily? I notice RC is kind of oily too ...
Old 11-03-2008, 02:08 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurKids View Post
I think you can still give her the wet food, but if she is a sloppish eater and a sloppish cleaner (some cats do not clean themselves well) then dia punya Mama/Papa kena follow-up with a moist towel several times la ... that's what slaves are for kan?
Hehehe... FK, I like the way u put it ... "that's what slaves are for" ....
Problem now, she wouldn't let me touch her chin, I think it is painful.

sillylupie-shop
Old 11-03-2008, 02:14 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post
Oh, poor ONION.

Maybe u can taste RC & see if it has an oily taste. I recently switched to Blackwood, and it's not oily, nor does it have any MSG (read snack) flavour.
Are you getting your Blackwood from Felix? Blackie okay with it?

I noticed, the current batch of RC seems a little darker and oily, but smells good!! Taste it? Err....err.... I'll get my brother to do it! Hahahah

I am also considering Blackwood, I remember when Lulu had this diarrhea problem, I tried Blackwood, it improved but I end up with RC as Lulu seems to like it more.

sillylupie-shop
Old 11-03-2008, 03:10 PM
Petfinder Moderator

I got a small bag (500g) from Petsmore to let Blackie try first.....he's such a picky eater. He likes it, so I'm getting 4kg from Felix. Am sharing with Imann....she's looking for more members to share, too, as we're thinking of getting the 24kg. It's RM9.17 per kg if we go for the 24kg bag...Imann wants 12kg, me 4kg, so if you want, can still join laa......

hahahah....your brother eddybear?? poor, poor brother. But, really, Bina, it's ok to try our cat's food. Just one kibble will do. That way, you also know if it's too salty, or it's not fresh.

Maybe Lulu likes RC becos it has a bit of snack flavour? I remember u mentioned before that she likes SmartHeart but it gave her diarrhea. SmartHeart has a nice snack flavour.

Quote:

I noticed, the current batch of RC seems a little darker and oily, but smells good!! Taste it? Err....err.... I'll get my brother to do it! Hahahah

I am also considering Blackwood, I remember when Lulu had this diarrhea problem, I tried Blackwood, it improved but I end up with RC as Lulu seems to like it more.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:23 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Default RC Kibbles dark and oily ...

Quote:

All the packs I bought seems OK aje ...light brown and non-oily but then I always make sure every pack I buy tak ada yg sudah masuk angin (check out the very tiny holes caused by rough handling during transportation and delivery ... I have personally seen even the shop staff themselves carry then throw the packs on to the floor or on top of other packs "GEDEBOOOOOOMMMMM!"

The packs are actually vacuum packed, no air kat dalam. Along the way, kalau ada even small puncture, air enters. Also, they are transported from place to place in vans under hot weather. So the spoiling takes place from there right until the pack reaches your house. Also, you need to buy from fast moving shops. So it is very, very important that you choose your pack yourself. Do so very, very discreetly and quickly without the shop owner noticing you ... he/she won't like it.

From my long experience with RC (and my kids are still on it), the fresh kibble is always light brown and non oily looking. My kids' kibbles turn dark brown only on exposure (kalau tak habis makan overnight ... not that I overfeed but one or two drop to the floor when they are impatient and I find them when I do the sweep up later. Yes, kibble yang mula lemau is dark color sebab exposed to air and moisture. I think the same applies to other brands because chicken meat is light in color, unless they put coloring in the kibbles.

When exposed to heat, oil oozes out giving them an oily look. If the exposure is quite recent, the kibble will still smell nice like kropok goreng, but you will need to finish them FAST before they turn rancid and toxic quickly due to the high fat content of all cat food, unlike dog food.

My 2-sen experience.
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 11-03-2008, 04:32 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Furkid,

One quick question. U mention cat food has high fat content and can turn rancid fast. Can we put the kibbles into containers and keep them in freezer to prolong its freshness?
Old 11-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Default Appearance of fresh unspoiled kibbles ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post
Furkid,

One quick question. U mention cat food has high fat content and can turn rancid fast. Can we put the kibbles into containers and keep them in freezer to prolong its freshness?
No point, Blackie sebab the deterioration has already happened (already turn colour). Also, it is bad sebab every time you take the kibble from the fridge, condensation on the kibbles berlaku, making things worse. Have you seen your things surrounded by a mist of moisture bila bawa keluar from the fridge? Like your fruits, vegetables or you drinks? Basah kat luar kan?

Actually, a fresh pack once opened (I am talking about a pack that has not deteriorated ... fresh, light brown and non oily looking) has to be consumed within 2 months because once exposed to air, oxidation starts to take place, causing it to start spoiling.

So, kalau dah gelap warna and so on, would you know when the pack was first kena bocor? Tak tahu kan? How long was it sitting terbocor in the store/warehouse? And how long was it sitting in the shop before you take it home? Kalau dah sebulan setengah lebih in total baru you beli and take home, I think no use putting in fridge because by right, storing in a cool dark place for a fresh pack is sufficient.

I know some pembekal advises storing in fridge, tapi tak masuk akal sebab a cool dark storage place in my house is good enough and do you think the numerous bags of kibbles are stored in the fridge the whole shipping/transportation time and also do you think they store your kibbles in the fridge in the shop? Tidak, kan? Be careful, orang bisnes nie pandai cakap and berpusing ...

Unless the pembekal wants to shift the blame for the bad storage on the buyer and not themselves (before your purchase).

I certainly am not going to put 2 bags of 15 kg into my fridge la!!!! I have never had to store my RC kibbles in the fridge in the long time I have been a cat slave and my kids have always had their kibbles fresh and light brown, non-oily. Saya bukan pengiklan RC, but I am just talking common sense and I think it applies to all good kibbles.

Last edited by FurKids; 11-03-2008 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Thanks, Furkid, for answering my question.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:23 PM
PetFinder Guru

FK, I bought a 15kg pack, RAYA promo that came with 4kg FOC....

The colour is just slighty darker, oily and the donut hole is smaller, it smells fresh, so I don't think it has turned bad. Plus, I opened up the 4kg pack, same2 ... phew!

I think they must have changed their manufacturing machine!

sillylupie-shop
Old 11-03-2008, 10:25 PM
PetFinder Guru

Anyway, back to Kitty acne ...
All kittens are on RC kibbles only starting today .. will update on ONION's condition!

sillylupie-shop
Old 11-04-2008, 01:20 AM
.:: Baby, I dig you! ::.

Location: Subang Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia, World of Animal Lurve...
BabyZee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BabyZee

Quote:
Zee, I'll get you a stainless steel bowl for you birthday! hehehehe
if it's stainless steel than make sure it's in pink metallic color ya..

neway i think the main thing here is the cleanliness right..
make sure the bowls are clean regularly but somehow certain cats are easily prone to kitty acne guess it's their skin condition, i wonder to cats have their own clean&clear...
ok, i'm kidding...
Old 11-04-2008, 03:46 PM
PetFinder Guru

For Zee, anything ... even a metallic pink stainless steel bowl, not sure if they have that colour though!

~~~~

A blur pix of ONION's cat acne ... (see the widespread area!)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RIMG0167.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1645  

sillylupie-shop
Old 11-04-2008, 03:59 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Wow, ONION is very furry and beautiful, even with the acne. Ouch, the acne area looks painful...it looks pink and raw. Poor ONION.

Maybe u can wipe his chin with a warm, clean towel after each meal? Maybe that will help stop the acne from spreading. Too bad they don't have Oxy for Kitties.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:04 PM
PetFinder Guru

oh no! i wonder why onion's acne is so bad.. she's just a few months old isnt she? fat fat's acne looks like tiny black dots and the area is not as widespread.. they look like fleas.. and they're hard and dry when i take them out.. you know what, i'll take a photo and post here and you guys can analyse his acne and tell me what you think.