Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > General Discussion

General Discussion General information and discuss on animal rescue, adoption and advocacy

Old 11-03-2010, 12:27 PM
PetFinder Guru

maris_sa528 is on a distinguished road
Default Questions to ask yourself before adopting a pet

I found a great article from Oprah.com which listed out things that you should consider before you adopt any pet. It gave very useful tips especially for those who still wondering if they capable to keep pets.

The first and the most important question you should ask yourself:

WHY DO YOU WANT A PET?
If you're looking for a companion, you're in it for the right reasons.

SPACE CONSIDERATION

Outdoor Space: Do you have a yard? If your new dog needs to go out, where will you take it? Are there local dog parks or dog runs you can take advantage of? Also, if you live in a condo or apartment with a balcony, be sure to have safeguards in place to prevent a curious pet from getting hurt.

For Renters: Many landlords frown upon their tenants having pets. If you're lucky enough to be able to have one, find out if there is a special deposit or an extra fee per month. But apartment leases don't last forever—if you have to move, will you be able to take the pet with you?

For Homeowners: If you've got a fenced-in yard on a lot of land, you should be all set! But if you live in a condo or townhome, ask your association if there are certain restrictions on breeds, the number of pets you can have and the size of the pets you can have. Rules can vary greatly from place to place.

How Protective Are You?: What kind of things do you have in your house? Is your style comfy-cozy or do you prefer to have "museum rooms"—spaces that are off-limits to pretty much everyone? New puppies have been known to teethe on couch legs, and cute kittens may use your favorite chair as their own personal scratching posts. Think about whether there will be any space that will be off-limits to your pet and how you would be able to teach it boundaries you're both comfortable with.

LIFESTYLE CONSIDERATIONS

Work: Do you work part time or full time? Do you work a regular eight-hour day, or can a typical day easily stretch to 12 or 14 hours? Remember that you'll have someone at home who's counting on you. If you feel like your work life is too unpredictable, consider using a dog walker or pet daycare to help fill in the gaps you're gone during the day.

Allergies: Do you or someone else in your household just happen to sneeze whenever you're near a dog or a cat? Worried about whether you'll be able to breathe with a pet at home full time? Do some research and find allergy-friendly pets. If you're still concerned, consider consulting an allergist before making any decisions about expanding your family.

Physical Needs: Can you physically handle the pet you're considering? There's a big difference between handling small dog breeds and large dog breeds. Will the pet you're considering need to be lifted? Are you strong enough to hold it if it's anxious or trying to go after something? Remember, even the cutest, tiniest, most cuddly puppy can grow into an animal that's taller than you!

Children at Play: How kid-friendly does your pet need to be? Whether you have kids now, have nieces or nephews who frequently visit or are considering kids in the future, everyone will be more at ease if you know your pet is good with children.

Must Love Dogs...or Cats: Do you have other pets? You know your current pets pretty well by now. How are they around other animals? When thinking about bringing a new pet home, try to observe the new addition around other animals. If you're introducing a cat and a dog, for instance, do some research and get the best ways to have them become friends.

Moving Out?: How many years have you lived in your present home? Do you expect to move anytime soon? Just like humans, moving creates a lot of stress for animals. Are you in a profession that requires you to move frequently? Finding a place to live could prove more difficult with a furry friend in tow, so be fully aware of the long-term commitment you're making to your pet.

Help Wanted: Will you have any help? Do you live alone, have a roommate or a spouse? If you're running late, will you have someone else available to let out the dog or feed the cat?

The Age Question: Puppies and kittens sometimes need a little more attention and training. Are you experienced enough to handle it? Or would you rather help an older dog or cat looking for a home? Animals who are a few years old are sometimes less excitable and may already know the basic skills you'd have to teach a puppy, including the most important one—how to love their owners!

Breaking Up Is Hard to Do: How stable are your relationships? Are you living with someone or married? Keep in mind that breakups and divorces affect pets too. If things are a little rocky, think twice about adopting a new member of the family. If you were to separate, could you afford to keep the pet? Would you have to share custody? Do your best to avoid heartbreak all around.

Become a Foster Parent: Still not sure if you're ready for the responsibility of a pet? Consider fostering a dog or cat. Reach out to your local shelter to see how you can make it happen—it's a great guilt-free way to see how owning a pet fits into your lifestyle. Who knows? You may find out that you two are a great fit!

FINANCIAL CONSIDERATIONS

Run the Numbers: Do you know how much each year it costs to own a pet? It's important to realize the cost of owning a pet only begins with the adoption fee. When you bring your new pet home, you've got to get food, bowls, leashes, collars, microchips, sleeping crates, carrying cases and, of course, a new toy or two. But as your pet gets older, you'll have to shell out for regular vet visits, vaccinations, medications, food, water, possible daycare or boarding and other expenses that could be specific to your pet's breed and size. Do some research and try to estimate what you'll be spending per year. It can help you plan for the financial long run.

Health Care Costs: Pet insurance plans are available, but do they make financial sense for you? Would you rather put a set amount away per month and draw on your pet savings account for vet visits and vaccinations?

In Case of Emergency: Broken bones, serious genetic defects, emergency surgery...if your dog or cat needs urgent care, can you afford it? A pet is a member of your family, so you'll go to great lengths to ensure its health and safety. But start putting some money away now so your pet's health won't send you into debt. Start a saving plan so if the unexpected happens, you can focus on nursing your pet back to health and not how you'll pay for it.

Getting the Goods: What things will you need to buy for your pet on a weekly, monthly or yearly basis? Does it need to eat premium food? Will you actually make food yourself? What sort of toys or supplies does it regularly use? Be aware of what will be coming into your home—and how much you'll have to spend on all of it.

Grooming: Is your dog or cat particularly high maintenance? Can you handle the brushing, shaving and nail clipping yourself, or will you need to get some professional help? Grooming is an important part of your dog or cat's health. Don't neglect it to save a buck.

Work with a Vet You Can Trust: Your vet should give the best care possible to your pet, but also take care of you. Do you think you're being overcharged? Do you feel like some of the things your vet is recommending are over the top or just unnecessary? If you feel like you aren't being fairly treated, don't be afraid to ask questions about your bill.

Travel Plans: Whether it's a business trip or your dream cruise, consider what you'll do with your dog or cat when you're away. Will a family member dog or cat sit for free, or will you have to pay someone to come into your home? Can you afford to leave your pet at a boarding facility or long-term pet hotel? Get an estimate of a few options in your area, think about how much you'll be away and run the numbers.

If you love to read and hunger for tips that could improve your life with your 4 legs kids, I believe you will love this Oprah.com page. http://www.oprah.com/packages/loving-our-pets.html

Enjoy!
Old 11-03-2010, 04:30 PM
PetFinder Guru

adrianng87 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Questions to ask yourself before adopting a pet

hey marini,
a very good article about pet adoption. two thumbs up!
Old 11-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Animal Lover

CanuckinKL2 is on a distinguished road

Good overview.

But I would also add;

Are you prepared for a 8-10+ year commitment? Pets that are properly cared for easily live this long.

Are you prepared to take responsibility for your pet? i.e. spay/neuter; not allowing them to roam, etc.

I see so many so called "pet lovers" on PF that give up their animals when they get old or unhealthy expecting them to get adopted. Guess what? We all get old and infirm; to abandon a pet because of natural life changes after a lifetime of devotion is cruelty beyond comprehension in my mind. Or to those who have lost their dogs because they let them roam and they get caught by the dog catchers.

Enough of my rants. This checklist may be something to be considered for the FAQ section of PF; (i.e. what to consider before pet adoption).

Thanks for letting me vent!
Old 11-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

I agree with Adrian and CanuckinKL -- thank you for posting this , and also the link to the other pet-related articles on Oprah's site:

http://www.oprah.com/packages/loving-our-pets.html

There are some good ones there!

One of them addressed the myth that pregnant women should not keep cats. This is a topic that Alicia Ling Horsley addressed recently on her Pet Epicure blog: http://petepicure.com/2010/10/06/im-...l-keep-my-cat/

I hope all pregnant women who feel that they have to dispose of their cats will read these articles and reconsider.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:05 PM
PetFinder Guru

Adrian: Thanks for the thumbs.

CanuckinKL2 : Thanks to you too, you have good points there. Sometimes when adopting pets, the adopter missed to consider the responsibilities that come together with the pets, some could not restrain themselves from keep adopting more and more. Yeah, the pets might live up to 10 years plus, I can't see keeping too many pets for a person is good for both party, owner and the pets.

Maneki Neko: I love that article so much. http://www.oprah.com/relationships/C...ths-About-Cats
After read this article, then I knew that indoor furry friend actually harmless to pregnant ladies. The things that people might not know is, handling raw or uncooked meat in their kitchen is more dangerous to pregnant mama than handling an indoor cat. Great info.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:32 PM
PetFinder Guru

nur azua is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nur azua

nice article kak mar!
Old 11-04-2010, 06:32 PM
PetFinder Guru

adrianng87 is on a distinguished road

Good one, now I know that there will be no excuse for a pregnant lady to keep pets.

CanuckinKL2's idea of contributing this article for the new planned FAQ is superb! Marini, please do ask Andy if there's anything you can do so.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:14 PM
PetFinder Guru

kuntum is on a distinguished road

Such a relief to know that a pregnant woman is safe to have cats ... I'm really worried b4 this as we are planning to get pregnant this year...

Thanks soooo much! A very useful article!
Old 11-05-2010, 10:05 PM
PetFinder Guru

Wawa : TQ dear..

Adrian: Yeah I am agree with CanuckinKL2's idea too. Good if we could have this article in PF FAQ. But I am not sure with copyright thingy.. hurrrmm.. since it been written by someone not from PF and posted in OPRAH page, we might need to contact somebody to ask for permission, maybe? Not sure.

Kuntum: Yeah... saya pun rasa lega. Sebelum ni all I knew, Pregnant mama should get rid of cats. Semua itu rupanya mitos saja. Huhu. Glad to know that u like this article.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Animal Lover

azzu02 is on a distinguished road

I don't blame owner letting go of the pets because of pregnant wife, it has nothing to do with the wife mostly or any health issues regarding pregnancy.

Its just that the owner are more worried about having to restrict the pets when the child is born and years later worrying about their infant kids mishandling kittens and cats. my 2 year old nephew killed two kittens thinking that those are dolls by twisting their heads..

Maybe should add a question like " how are you going to teach your son/daughter to love pets and treat them well."

just my 2 cents.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:49 PM
PetFinder Guru

shahcats is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by maris_sa528 View Post
Wawa : TQ dear..

Adrian: Yeah I am agree with CanuckinKL2's idea too. Good if we could have this article in PF FAQ. But I am not sure with copyright thingy.. hurrrmm.. since it been written by someone not from PF and posted in OPRAH page, we might need to contact somebody to ask for permission, maybe? Not sure.

Kuntum: Yeah... saya pun rasa lega. Sebelum ni all I knew, Pregnant mama should get rid of cats. Semua itu rupanya mitos saja. Huhu. Glad to know that u like this article.
tq mar for sharing..:D
now im not ever worried to being pregnant and having pet around me..hehehe no jk..i have 2 cats and pregnant sis..dont see any problem now..even me grew up with cats!:D