Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your cat's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 08-03-2009, 11:15 PM
Cayang Kucing

farahnm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to farahnm
Default Fancy Feast

Friends,

Penah dengar tak makanan kucing namanya Fancy Feast?
Ada sesapa yang penah kucing nya try tak?
Saya ada bawak balik sample sikit bagi Bo saya, seems he loves it so much. He love it more than the way he love RC Baby cat.
As this Fancy Feast is a product of PURINA,which also produces Friskies, I hv doubt sama ada Fancy Feast ni bagus atau tak..
The price kat Carrefour around RM12/ 400g, the price nampak this brand in the same line with RC,BW,SP and other premium product..

The link is here:

http://www.purina.com.my/Purina/PurinaOne/tmpl/Blank.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRNODEGUID={3A3B2D13-346A-420D-A800-0DAD0D72BDA1}&NRORIGINALURL=%2ffancyfeast%2f&NRCAC HEHINT=Guest#ProductsInfo

But not sure whether this brand is premium cat food or not.
Looking forward to hear your thought on this brand.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:20 PM
~feline attaché

nurkasih is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fancy Feast

Quote:
Originally Posted by farahnm View Post
Friends,

Penah dengar tak makanan kucing namanya Fancy Feast?
Ada sesapa yang penah kucing nya try tak?
Saya ada bawak balik sample sikit bagi Bo saya, seems he loves it so much. He love it more than the way he love RC Baby cat.
As this Fancy Feast is a product of PURINA,which also produces Friskies, I hv doubt sama ada Fancy Feast ni bagus atau tak..
The price kat Carrefour around RM12/ 400g, the price nampak this brand in the same line with RC,BW,SP and other premium product..

The link is here:

http://www.purina.com.my/Purina/PurinaOne/tmpl/Blank.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRNODEGUID={3A3B2D13-346A-420D-A800-0DAD0D72BDA1}&NRORIGINALURL=%2ffancyfeast%2f&NRCAC HEHINT=Guest#ProductsInfo

But not sure whether this brand is premium cat food or not.
Looking forward to hear your thought on this brand.
Fancy Feast is apart from Frieskies... I pun tak tahulah beza camna..kena baca dulu..

I cuma suka Fancy Feast yang canned food dia tueh..kecil tapi cukup untuk buat my cats kejar2 i... Jap ekk..nak baca jap..

Untuk dry food dia..ingredients dia :

Brewers rice, poultry by-product meal, corn gluten meal, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), ground yellow corn, soybean meal, animal liver flavor, fish, shrimp, phosphoric acid, calcium carbonate, natural and artificial flavors, potassium chloride, salt, brewers dried yeast, choline chloride, added color (Yellow 5, Red 40 and other color), natural filet mignon flavor, zinc sulfate, taurine, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

Kalau tanya I...I wont feed them with this.. I prefer going higher in protein the better.. I dun think it is premium food... Any other opinion?

Last edited by nurkasih; 08-03-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:33 PM
~feline attaché

Maybe u nak baca nieh jugak..

Tips for Choosing Cat Food
Part 1: The Basics About Cat Food Standards
By Franny Syufy, About.com

Cats' Basic Nutritional Needs

Protein from a meat, fish, or poultry source
Taurine, an essential amino acid
Certain other vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and fatty acids
Water

That's it, basically. Cats do not need carbohydrates, although corn, wheat, and/or rice are used as fillers for both canned and dry cat foods. Other ingredients, such as binders, flavoring, and coloring, are added by cat food manufacturers to satisfy the aesthetic wants of the consumer. Although preservatives are necessary, to keep foods fresh for our cats, canned food should not be allowed to remain out for any length of time, in any case.
Canned food or Kibble?

Many nutritionists agree that cats should get a variety of food, both dry and canned, for several reasons:

While dry food is convenient, and can be left out for "free feeding,"
Canned food contains water, and many cats do not drink water regularly
To ensure that your cat gets the right amount of nutrients. That "near-perfect" food you've selected might be adding too little (or too much) of certain minerals and/or vitamins.
Cats may actually become bored with the same food day in and day out, and simply quit eating. Face it, would you enjoy pizza morning, noon, and night, for years?
To head off possible allergies to certain ingredients. Cats (like humans) develop allergies over a period of time. Although the incidence of food allergies in cats is rare, cat owners might want to err on the side of caution, particularly if their cats have shown evidence of allergies in the past.
To prevent "food addictions." The Whole Cat Journal, in its October, 2001 issue, cites the case of a cat that was addicted to a particular flavor of a particular brand of cat food, right down to a specific factory and lot number! This kind of addiction can be difficult to deal with when that last can is gone, but can be easily avoided by feeding a variety of foods from the start.

This doesn't mean that Fred should get a different food every day, but a variety of high-quality canned foods, supplemented with dry food for cats left alone all day, will add spice to his diet and keep him from becoming "Finicky Fred."

Cheaper Brands are False Economy

Many first-time cat owners, in an attempt to hold down expenses, buy the cheapest foods they can find for their cats. This is false economy for a couple of reasons. First, studies have shown that cats eat as much as they need to get the nutrients they require. Therefore, they might eat twice as much of that generously-carbohydrate-filled store brand to get the nutrients they need in a normal feeding of premium food. Second, the continued feeding of substandard foods over a period of years will heavily contribute to, or even cause, serious medical conditions that will require expensive veterinary care.

For these reasons, the old maxim, "You get what you pay for," is particularly true where it comes to cat food.

What to look for on the label
Compliance with AAFCO's requirements for "Complete and Balanced," as evidenced by that wording on the label.
Named protein source - look for "chicken, lamb, or beef," rather than "meat."
On canned food particularly, the protein source should be the first listed ingredient
Check the expiration date for freshness

What to avoid
Words such as "By-products," "meat and/or bone meal," "animal digest," most other descriptions including "digest" or "meal," and added sugars.
Chemical preservatives, including BHA, BHT, ethoxyquin, and propyl gallate
Corn meal as a filler
Excess of carbohydrate "fillers" (Dry food can contain as much as 50 percent grain)
Cats are Obligate Carnivores, and cannot thrive on vegetarian diets, although most vegetables can be added to cats' diets, either by the manufacturer or the consumer.
Pet food manufacturers cannot print "complete and balanced" on their labels unless one of the following criteria is met:

The food must pass feeding tests for the life stage recommended on the label
The composition of the food must meet or exceed nutrient levels established by AAFCO
Preservatives, at the level included in commercial pet foods, have never been scientifically demonstrated to cause any problems in pets (or people) at less than 100 times the levels found in such foods. On the other hand, the current trend for many cat food manufacturers is toward using natural preservatives, such as vitamins C and E.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:39 PM
PetFinder Guru

Location: Seri Kembangan, Selangor (Yeah, we got free water!)
sillylupie is on a distinguished road

I occassionally feed my cats with Fancy Feast, they love it! :)
I don't know why but I do have a good feeling with Fancy Feast, it smells so good! :) (unlike whi$**rs that smells like chicken feed ... hehehe)

I know a place where you can still get one pack at RM12, with one free can of fancy feast wet food ....:) I usually go there to stock up.
Fancy feast in Carrefour is quite expensive.
One time, TESCO was selling at RM 8.99, but don't see the promo anymore.

sillylupie-shop
http://sillylupie-shop.blogspot.com
Old 08-04-2009, 03:55 PM
PetFinder Guru

thini is on a distinguished road

My cats also seem to like Fancy Feast, though they are currently with BW.. I do keep FF as a backup just in case i ran out of BW.. Btw, where's the place that you mention?
Old 08-04-2009, 05:41 PM
Cayang Kucing

Nurkasih,
Very informative info.. tima kasih!
Yea,saya pun memikirkan perkara yang sama jugak,kalo diberi hari2 maybe tak elok,ada coloring, sommore ada by product-meal.. sungguh suspicuos..
but talking about the protein, they claimed sekurang2 nya ada 30% of crude protein dalam sajian makanan derang ni..
Probably to feed them occasionally,like what Bina do, ok kot.. thinking of to feed my Bo sometimes as well as he likes it so much.. the sample that I got almost finish!

Bina,please share with us, where did u get with free wet canned food tu??
Nak jugak.. nak jugak... nak jugak..
Old 08-04-2009, 05:47 PM
~feline attaché

Quote:
Nurkasih,
Very informative info.. tima kasih!
Yea,saya pun memikirkan perkara yang sama jugak,kalo diberi hari2 maybe tak elok,ada coloring, sommore ada by product-meal.. sungguh suspicuos..
but talking about the protein, they claimed sekurang2 nya ada 30% of crude protein dalam sajian makanan derang ni..
Probably to feed them occasionally,like what Bina do, ok kot.. thinking of to feed my Bo sometimes as well as he likes it so much.. the sample that I got almost finish!

Bina,please share with us, where did u get with free wet canned food tu??
Nak jugak.. nak jugak... nak jugak..
Menda makan nieh...berbalik pada kita punyer budget jugak..Macam furkids... Dia bagi RC kesemuanya.. Seelok-eloknyer elak... And the cheapest and the best around sekarang..yang Blackwood tue lah..

Not very sure ingredients dia.. tapi better Bw dari FF kot..
Old 08-04-2009, 09:57 PM
PetFinder Guru

Zarul is on a distinguished road

i gave my furkids ff too

5 portions of RC, 3 portion of BW and a portion of FF
Old 08-05-2009, 11:52 AM
~feline attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarul View Post
i gave my furkids ff too

5 portions of RC, 3 portion of BW and a portion of FF
Ehhh..why so?..On what purpose of mixing 3 types of food?
Old 08-05-2009, 01:41 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurkasih View Post
saja........
Old 08-05-2009, 06:52 PM
~feline attaché

Quote:
saja........
owhh gitu pun leh ekk..
Old 08-05-2009, 10:26 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
owhh gitu pun leh ekk..
hehehehheheheheh
Old 08-06-2009, 07:48 AM
PetFinder Guru

kuntum is on a distinguished road

Kalau yang dalam tin tu, memang bagus...tak tahu la, depands on ur cats juga. Sebab kucing2 mama saya hari2 makan ni. Okay je..tak de bulu gugur, tak de cirit...so far tak de masaalah. Cuma mahal la daripada brand lain. (Nasib baik saya ada sekor je...boleh pamper si bulu ni sikit . Kalau banyak...kopak juga la )

Kalau dry food (kibble) pulak...pendapat saya, sama macam forumer lain la. Was2 nak bagi kat anak sendiri. Saya bagi kat kucing2 stray kat kawasan ni (kadang2 la...biasanya saya feed diorang F***k*** atau W***k** atau lain2) Tapi dia punya flavour best2. Ada salmon, cheese, turkey.. bila buka je..baunye sedapppp!! Tempted nak makan..kihkihkih..
Old 08-06-2009, 01:04 PM
PetFinder Guru

tapi kalau tengok harga 400g lebih kurang RM12. setanding blackwood, sp.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:14 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
in case suddently out of stok of RC at least my cats dont have problems with BW because diaorg dah biasa makan.....entah betul atau tidak tindakan ini....
Old 08-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Cayang Kucing

semalam saya mix RC Baby cat ngan Fancy feast yang masih berbaki sikit.. guess what..my kitten chose to eat FF and left RC..at last yang tinggal hanyalah RC,FF finished..
Old 08-06-2009, 03:31 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
semalam saya mix RC Baby cat ngan Fancy feast yang masih berbaki sikit.. guess what..my kitten chose to eat FF and left RC..at last yang tinggal hanyalah RC,FF finished..
Sebab baunye sodaaaap!!Kihkihkih...
Old 08-06-2009, 03:36 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
tapi kalau tengok harga 400g lebih kurang RM12. setanding blackwood, sp.
Betol tu...mungkin mind set kot...kalau jual kat supermarket, kurang menyakinkan...kalau jual kat Pet Shop, mungkin org yakin lagi...

P/S:Pasal apa tak de pack besar ah? Nak feed kucing2 sekali buka je...
Old 08-06-2009, 08:21 PM
~feline attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuntum View Post
Betol tu...mungkin mind set kot...kalau jual kat supermarket, kurang menyakinkan...kalau jual kat Pet Shop, mungkin org yakin lagi...

P/S:Pasal apa tak de pack besar ah? Nak feed kucing2 sekali buka je...
Bukan mind setlah sayang.. Belek ingredient... Selalunya ornag yang betul2 ngan kucing... dia akan nak vast variety... Tapi supermarket dia cater pada orang yang bela kucing cara bersahaja... G pun frieskies masuk TV... whiskes buat iklan besar besar..Asal makanan kucing jer..mesti Frieskies ngan Whiskers... Itu jer orang kenal..

Orang yang tahu and nak kucing dia hidup lama..tak compromise on food... Sini, I tgk.. the chinese will feed their dogs very high end premium food so that long live, sihat and minimize vet trip..

G pun supermarket tak jual premium food sbb premium food expensive... And we , yang betul2 main and minat and jaga kucing faham perbezaan... Kucing..memanglah dia akan makan yang mana dia suka... Dah u selalu bagi makan RC..jarang bagi FF wajib dia amik FF...

Kalau kucing i pun... selalu dok bagi RC..tetiba bagi Whiskers... Confirm dia bantal macam orang tak pernah makan becoz something different kan?.. Kita pun samalah..siang malam makan nasi..tetiba orang offer KFC.. mesti kita amik KFC dulu..

Nway, furkids pernah tulis panjang2 pasal makanan yang ada banyak filler..banyak grain or whatsoeverlah... Rajin2lah carik thead tue and baca...

p/s macam I kater, based on the budget..kalau nak mampu nak bagi lebih..bagi lebih..kalau tak carik yang seadanya...
Old 08-06-2009, 11:49 PM
Mama Kabu & ChiChi

anitayusof00 is on a distinguished road

Lepas Kapas pass away (diagnosed kidney stones sebab bagi makan friskies - masa tu aku mana reti pasal premium food ni), aku tak bagi dah Kabu sentuh makanan2 yg 'sewaktu' dgn friskies. Takut nanti dia pulak tinggalkan aku. Atas nasihat furkids, aku bagi Kabu RC. Lama2 Kabu mcm jemu. Dia makan sikit2 jer. Pastu aku tukar makanan dia. BF aku bagi dia Science Plan Chicken, lunch Science Plan tuna & dinner RC chicken. Memang dia suka...Tapi kadang2 bila emergency cth stok kehabisan, hari Ahad pulak tu ....petshop tpt aku selalu buat 'marketing' tutup, mahu tak mahu, aku buat la muka seposen, mintak kat jiran sebelah makanan kucen sikit setakat utk 2X meals Kabu (jiran sebelah bg kucen dia whiskas). Kabu memang layan.....macam korang2 cakap la....sebab benda baru. In my opinion, klu kucen suka makanan tu, tak semestinya ianya baik utk kucen. Kucen suka sebab dia pun nak tukar2 taste gak, mcm kita juga