Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your dog's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 12-03-2008, 12:28 AM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation
Exclamation Arthritis and Your Dog

If your dog could talk, being his best friend would be a lot easier. But he can't tell you that his knees stiffen up after he plays too long – or that his hips hurt when he goes up or down stairs. He’s counting on you to recognize signs of pain and decreased mobility and to have your veterinarian diagnose and treat the condition.

To provide the best care for your best friend, take a few minutes to learn the facts, the signs and how your dog can find relief from painful arthritis. If your dog could talk, he’d thank you for it.

Know the Facts About Arthritis

Arthritis is a painful, degenerative joint disease that affects one in five adult dogs in the United States (1). Arthritis is even more common among older dogs. Unfortunately, many of the cases go undiagnosed because owners attribute the subtle changes in their dogs to “old age” or “slowing down.” For more information on canine arthritis and treatment,

Understanding Canine Arthritis

Arthritis is a progressive, degenerative disease that involves the deterioration of joint cartilage. This condition can affect one or more joints and can lead to pain, stiffness, joint swelling, lameness and reduced mobility, all of which can result in a reduced quality of life.

As the disease progresses, there can be additional destruction of cartilage on the bone surface, and production of extra bone around the joint. If left undiagnosed and untreated, arthritis can cause irreversible damage and prevent dogs from fully participating in everyday activities such as walking, running and swimming.

That’s why it’s important for you to recognize the Signs and Symptoms of a dog’s arthritis pain, and notify your veterinarian so treatment can start early.

Know the Facts About Arthritis:

Arthritis is one of the most common sources of chronic pain that veterinarians treat (1). It is a painful, degenerative joint disease that often results from canine hip dysplasia.

Arthritis affects one in five adult dogs (2). And these are just the cases that have been diagnosed. The actual number of dogs suffering from arthritis is unknown, because many dog owners attribute the subtle changes in their pets to “old age” or “slowing down.”

While many cases of arthritis occur in older, overweight and larger breed dogs, the disease can affect dogs of all sizes, ages and breeds.

With the exception of joint replacement, there's no cure for degenerative joint disease and arthritis in dogs. But the pain associated with these conditions, and the stiffness and lameness they cause, can be managed.
There’s no reason for any dog to suffer from the pain of arthritis. Pain can have a tremendous impact on your dog’s quality of life. A dog that's in pain won't be as active, which can lead to weight gain, and additional stress on joints that are already sore. But when your dog feels less pain and is more comfortable, he or she will be more active, more fit, and more willing to participate in the family activities you love to do together.

(1) Proceedings of Symposium, “Predictable Pain Management,” TNAVC 1996, p. 24.
(2) Proprietary market research, 1996. Veterinary sample size: 200. Data on file, Pfizer Animal Health.

Canine Arthritis: The Signs and Symptoms

Unfortunately, dogs can’t tell their owners if and where they hurt. So it can be difficult to know when your dog is in pain. However, we do know that the physiological mechanism of pain perception is common to both humans and animals, so follow this simple guideline: if you think a health problem would cause you discomfort, you can assume it will do the same to your dog.

Dogs display a wide variety of responses to pain:

They may be violent and vocalize – or be quiet, withdrawn and inactive.

They may be aggressive when approached, as they try to protect themselves from further pain, or they may be subdued or withdrawn.

Their ears may lie flat against their head.

They may lick the affected area.
The key is to look for a change in your dog’s behavior. Because arthritis is a progressive condition that manifests itself over time, the signs of pain become more apparent as the condition becomes more severe.

It is important to observe dogs closely for the signs of arthritis, including:

Decreased activity

Reluctance to walk, run, climb stairs, jump or play

Stiffness

Limping

Difficulty rising from a resting position

Lagging behind on walks

Soreness when touched

Yelping or whimpering in pain

Acting aggressive or withdrawn

Exhibiting other personality changes
If you notice any of these changes, see your veterinarian. The sooner the condition is recognized, the sooner your pet will feel less pain and become active again.

Know the Signs of Arthritis Pain

Any dog can develop arthritis, and knowing the signs and symptoms of pain will help you determine when your dog may need veterinary attention.

Could your dog have arthritis? Ask yourself these simple questions:

Does your dog tire easily or lag behind during long walks?

Does your dog limp or appear stiff after activity?

Is your dog reluctant to climb steps or jump up?

Is your dog slow to rise from a resting position?
If you answered “yes” to even one of these questions, it’s possible that your dog is suffering from painful arthritis. We recommend that you ask your veterinarian to examine your dog for arthritis. The sooner your dog is properly diagnosed and treated, the sooner he or she can overcome the pain and become an active member of your family again.

article by At Pfizer Animal Health

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:37 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road
Talking Gemuk is out of fashion, thin is in ...

Thanks, DIMB! Good info because so many forumers keep insisting they like their pets fat and cuddly. Extremely bad for their health and well-being!

That is why I monitor the weight of all my greedy cats and feed them just enough even though they all give me the half-starved look (they had just eaten right in front of my very eyes) and keep licking their lips trying to burn my conscience (a real test of will!). Hahahaaaa!!!

I worry about the pressure of extra weight on their joints, not to mention other obesity related problems. And I believe prevention is better than cure, so I start even from kitten stage.

I have had to put a couple of the very greedy ones (they gobble everything on their own plate in a flash and rush on to eat someone else's ) on the very, very expensive RC Obesity Management formula for a couple of months to get them back in good shape.

Hey friend you know, dog is your buddy and cat is my buddy ... so I am @CIMB!
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 12-03-2008, 06:34 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation
Default Re: Gemuk is out of fashion, thin is in ...

Furkid,
Hey, dog is your buddy going have TM as trademark, sametime cat is my buddy with too. ahhahahha

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gemuk is out of fashion, thin is in ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog is my buddy View Post
Furkid,
Hey, dog is your buddy going have TM as trademark, sametime cat is my buddy with too. ahhahahha
How much you gonna charge for transfer to me? All $$ will go to animal welfare tabung ah?
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies