Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens

Cats & Kittens General information and discussions on taking care of your feline buddy

Old 07-13-2010, 12:23 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Amirahd is on a distinguished road
Default Should I or Shouldnt I ?

Assalamualaikum & Hi

Currently , I have 3 kittens with me. Merlin, Pico & Bella. Im studying now. And ths three kittens are my friends. I love them to bits, but now, Im staying at home, so taking care of them is not a problem. Until.. I got an offer to futher my studies in UM, and I have to stay in hostel. My sister is willing to take care of Pico. and my mum would want to take bella. But merlin, my first kitten, no one want to take care of him. Not that they dont want, but they said that 2 is too much of responsibility. Im would want to put him for adoption, but, merlin and pico are bestfriend. My sister said, if she take both, she would let them stay outdoor. and both of them NEVER go out door. Knowing Merlin who wouldnt mind staying outdoor and Pico used to be an outdoor kitten, I dont think it would be a problem. but.. also scared to lose them. Nanti hilang ke, kurap ke. takut la. sayang.. what do you say ? bagi my sister both or.. pisah kan diaorang? hmm
Old 07-13-2010, 01:56 PM
PetFinder Guru

Felix The Cat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Should I or Shouldnt I ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amirahd View Post
Assalamualaikum & Hi

Currently , I have 3 kittens with me. Merlin, Pico & Bella. Im studying now. And ths three kittens are my friends. I love them to bits, but now, Im staying at home, so taking care of them is not a problem. Until.. I got an offer to futher my studies in UM, and I have to stay in hostel. My sister is willing to take care of Pico. and my mum would want to take bella. But merlin, my first kitten, no one want to take care of him. Not that they dont want, but they said that 2 is too much of responsibility. Im would want to put him for adoption, but, merlin and pico are bestfriend. My sister said, if she take both, she would let them stay outdoor. and both of them NEVER go out door. Knowing Merlin who wouldnt mind staying outdoor and Pico used to be an outdoor kitten, I dont think it would be a problem. but.. also scared to lose them. Nanti hilang ke, kurap ke. takut la. sayang.. what do you say ? bagi my sister both or.. pisah kan diaorang? hmm
Hi Amirahd......

It is a very hard decision and I pity you having to go through this. For me... I would not split Merlin and Pico since they are the best of friends. Why don't you find someone who can foster your cats while you are studying? I can recommend someone who can look after your cats for you all under one happy roof so that you wont have to split them up

Felix The Cat - Dee wonderful wonderful cat!
http://felixthecats.weebly.com
http://livinginmyworld-phyllis.blogspot.com/
Old 07-13-2010, 04:43 PM
PetFinder Buddy

i really hope that i dont have to split them. but its 4 years.. i wish i can just give someone to foster them , then take them back. but 4 years is so long and the one whos fostering sure will love them as much as I do :)
Old 07-14-2010, 02:57 AM
-

simple is on a distinguished road

Adik,

Are you going to stay in the hostel for the entire 4 yrs ?
Anyway, i wonder if the cats will still stay friends after 4 yrs of staying apart. (I'm curious).
Why don't you try to convince either of yr family member that it's not too difficult to handle and care for 2 cats ?
(go down on your knees and say "pliz pliz pliz .." and make your face look like Sylvester the cat :) )

Last edited by simple; 07-14-2010 at 03:03 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:53 AM
~feline attaché

nurkasih is on a distinguished road

i'd face this kind of problem way back also.. people giving me opinions that sadly, not helping until one day there's one person who got me right in the face by knocking me out to the reality of life.

But let me tell you.. you need you need to do reality check ...

From what I see.. you are going to UM pursue your first degree right? 4 years to be exact.. My opinion, of course, would be contrary. And I believe you are hoping to see some comforting words forumers here to get you to hold to your cat ... but, bare in mind, you need more than comforting words...Questions for you to ponder:

1. How sure are you , you can give your cat what it needs when you are also in the midst of adjusting yourself with the new environment?
2. if you are taking them with you.. are you going to lock them up in your room 24/7?
3. Or are you going to let them roam around? Which will be dangerous to them..
4. How sure are you , you will end up having pet-friendly roommates / house mates?
5. How sure are you that your future roomates/ housemates will not be of those allergic to cats that can harm their own health?
6. For your sis, how sure are you your sis is taking them because she loves them? or is it because you ask her to?
4. How sure are you your sis will take good care of them like you did? Will that (by being outdoors to your sis) will be much different of having new parents whom will love them very much, pat them and let them be indoors?
5. having them in hostel with so uncertainties than having them to be in a new home with new parents will be much better?
6. Are you sure you have enuff $$ and sure the $$$ will not limited?

My opinion..
I heard stories of those having pets at hostels and most of them do not end good.. "My cat ramped by a car"..'My hostel admin gives out warning letter as my roomates complain".."My roomates groaned at my cats most of the time"..

And make way for you to build fond memories in UM.. laughing away with friends..hangs out.. buries in piles of books at the library ( providing you aim to be the best in whatever you plan to take )..staying up at night drinking nescafes.. laughing and chatting all the way with friends.. has pillow talks with friends untill wee hours.. shopping and visiting places all around with friends.. fall in love during 3rd year ( make sure its in 3rd / 4th year..you need earlier time for friends).. dating and bla bla bla... Build your memories , enjoy your life..

Finally, the best decision is up to you.. Either you are making the decision for the sake for your own self or for the sake of well being for your furbabies.. It's all in your hands...
Old 07-14-2010, 05:53 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Alive,
yeah i guess. because i dont think my parents would allowed me to stay out because UM have provided hostel for the students. will try the face! haha

Nurkasih,

so much too think.. if im giving them to my sister, she wont be the one who take care of them. it would be my brother in law. they have a cat before this, but the cat somehow hilang, probably got bullied by the dog in that area and died. but never found the body, eventhough its an outdoor cat, it goes in and out from the house, meaning, they let the cat in the house also. they dont just lock them. im actually worried about them trying to fit in at the new place. i never bring them else where. except for the vet. Also,if im putting them fr adoption, how much should i put the adoptiong fee? i bought merlin for 650.but pico fr free.tapi if i were to put high fee like 300 for both, melampau ke? sbb i want them to be neuter. even if i bagi to my sister pun she must neuter both of them. how ni...
Old 07-14-2010, 06:04 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Alive,
yeah i guess. because i dont think my parents would allowed me to stay out because UM have provided hostel for the students. will try the face! haha

Nurkasih,

so much too think.. if im giving them to my sister, she wont be the one who take care of them. it would be my brother in law. they have a cat before this, but the cat somehow hilang, probably got bullied by the dog in that area and died. but never found the body, eventhough its an outdoor cat, it goes in and out from the house, meaning, they let the cat in the house also. they dont just lock them. im actually worried about them trying to fit in at the new place. i never bring them else where. except for the vet. Also,if im putting them fr adoption, how much should i put the adoptiong fee? i bought merlin for 650.but pico fr free.tapi if i were to put high fee like 300 for both, melampau ke? sbb i want them to be neuter. even if i bagi to my sister pun she must neuter both of them. how ni...
Better neuter before you give them up for adoption. New adopters will say they will neuter, do this, do that but when the time comes ... NOTHING will happen. Trust me. I have been through this before. They will promise the world to you before adopting tapi bila dah adopt ..hmph... Habuk pun tarak

Not cat proofing the house (meaning letting them in and out of the house unsupervised) is very dangerous. Like you said they can be attacked by dogs, ran over by cars or even catnapped!

A fee of RM300.00 would be considered nomimal for me if I really wanted to have the cat So I geuss the price would be fine.

But if I were you, better to let friends who you really know, and care and love cats to have your cats and not just wanting them because they are CUTE!

Interview potential adopters and make sure that your babies are in safe hands should you wish them to be adopted.

Its a big and tough decision but then you will need to face it. Why not pujuk your mother to keep all three.... mana boleh mak refuse anak dia kan?

So when you are back for holidays you can still see them and vice versa!

Old 07-14-2010, 07:50 PM
~feline attaché

Quote:
Alive,
hahahah hopefully.. you are yet to see the world.. I had the same thinking also.. But 'they' kicked me out from hostel in my 4th sem, having 2 weeks to find new house and in the midst of preparing for the exam. In 2 weeks, I stayed late, I surveyed houses and took out much $$$ to cover out that.. Kicked me and my other 2 friends out without clear reasons..as my other another friends were allowed to be in ( tho we we from the same batch, clinging together, doing same things. But I guess its the same to almost every hostel.. They just randomly pull out names when spaces are limited.. the guys were different at my place, they were pleaded to be back into hostels coz every guy signed out from the hostel.. hahahahah finally, all my friends and other another friends followed me suit to a 'real' home.. and I started to make best memories ever..hehehehe

As for the adoption.. you might wanna ask Fareen. She'd rehome few cats before.. she should know better...

Cheers..

p/s memang banyak pikir as things are nota as they appered to be

Last edited by nurkasih; 07-14-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:17 AM
Animal Lover

ryutaro is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix The Cat View Post
Better neuter before you give them up for adoption. New adopters will say they will neuter, do this, do that but when the time comes ... NOTHING will happen. Trust me. I have been through this before. They will promise the world to you before adopting tapi bila dah adopt ..hmph... Habuk pun tarak

Not cat proofing the house (meaning letting them in and out of the house unsupervised) is very dangerous. Like you said they can be attacked by dogs, ran over by cars or even catnapped!

A fee of RM300.00 would be considered nomimal for me if I really wanted to have the cat So I geuss the price would be fine.

But if I were you, better to let friends who you really know, and care and love cats to have your cats and not just wanting them because they are CUTE!

Interview potential adopters and make sure that your babies are in safe hands should you wish them to be adopted.

Its a big and tough decision but then you will need to face it. Why not pujuk your mother to keep all three.... mana boleh mak refuse anak dia kan?

So when you are back for holidays you can still see them and vice versa!
agree with felix the cat..
RM300.00 for both merlin & pico should be ok..
silap2, i'm the 1st yg nak when u put them for adoption..
post la gambar, let they comment & suggest..
for instant, klu u nak letak diorang for adoption, interview me 1st..

please review my profile: http://www.petfinder.my/members/ryutaro/
Old 07-23-2010, 01:07 PM
PetFinder Guru

izwanbest is on a distinguished road

Quote:
i really hope that i dont have to split them. but its 4 years.. i wish i can just give someone to foster them , then take them back. but 4 years is so long and the one whos fostering sure will love them as much as I do :)
small problem... do you have a BF.. ask him to sacrifice a bit for you to take care of your cat while you are away.. and ask him to bring your cat sometime when dating... or come over to his house on weekend for the cat... cincai ma
Old 07-23-2010, 01:09 PM
~feline attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by izwanbest View Post
small problem... do you have a BF.. ask him to sacrifice a bit for you to take care of your cat while you are away.. and ask him to bring your cat sometime when dating... or come over to his house on weekend for the cat... cincai ma
waa..providing the BF is still not working...
Old 07-23-2010, 01:34 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurkasih View Post
waa..providing the BF is still not working...
lol kalau tak boley kesian la.. kena ikthiar cara lain hehehehe
Old 07-23-2010, 01:40 PM
~feline attaché

Quote:
lol kalau tak boley kesian la.. kena ikthiar cara lain hehehehe
mungkin dia ada bf yang sggup jaga for 4 years... mana nak tahu kan.. BF i, 6 jam aja dia ada kat umah dia.. itu pun time dia tidur 12pm to 6 am nanti bagi kucing, kucing pun tak kenal tuan..

tapi it doesn't hurt to give suggestion kan.. maybe it works for her..
Old 07-23-2010, 07:29 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
mungkin dia ada bf yang sggup jaga for 4 years... mana nak tahu kan.. BF i, 6 jam aja dia ada kat umah dia.. itu pun time dia tidur 12pm to 6 am nanti bagi kucing, kucing pun tak kenal tuan..

tapi it doesn't hurt to give suggestion kan.. maybe it works for her..
kl boyfriend dia sayang kat dia mesti sanggup punya.. sebelum kahwin ni lah suruh dia berkorban sket... baru tahu dia ni boleh buat suami ke idak...
Old 07-23-2010, 07:43 PM
~feline attaché

Quote:
kl boyfriend dia sayang kat dia mesti sanggup punya.. sebelum kahwin ni lah suruh dia berkorban sket... baru tahu dia ni boleh buat suami ke idak...
yer lah..mungkinlah izwan.. you are my age, you should know better..hehehe
Old 07-23-2010, 08:54 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Quote:
yer lah..mungkinlah izwan.. you are my age, you should know better..hehehe

SORRY TAKREPLY FOR AWHILEE. been onlining with my bb, so nak on pf mmg susahh. sorry. hehe

ha? boyf? mmg ada, tapi stakat kawan je. nothing serious. stakat nak main main je. haha. takde nya dia nak jaga. dia tu anti sikit dgn bulu kucing. kalau bulu kucing dia lekat dkt baju hitam dia, mula la mengaruk. dia suka kucing , tapi bukan sampai tahap nak bela. sbb dia serik, masa dkt rumah dia zaman dia belajar2, mak dia bela belas belas kucing, lepastu, bila mati, dia kena tanam. dia taksuka. haha. my brother in law said biar dia jaga dua dua. sbb anak dia merayu rayu suruh ambik dua dua. tp risau jugak. mcm mana la diaorang nak mix dgn strays, gaduh ke tak, apa ke semua. takut jugak.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:39 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
SORRY TAKREPLY FOR AWHILEE. been onlining with my bb, so nak on pf mmg susahh. sorry. hehe

ha? boyf? mmg ada, tapi stakat kawan je. nothing serious. stakat nak main main je. haha. takde nya dia nak jaga. dia tu anti sikit dgn bulu kucing. kalau bulu kucing dia lekat dkt baju hitam dia, mula la mengaruk. dia suka kucing , tapi bukan sampai tahap nak bela. sbb dia serik, masa dkt rumah dia zaman dia belajar2, mak dia bela belas belas kucing, lepastu, bila mati, dia kena tanam. dia taksuka. haha. my brother in law said biar dia jaga dua dua. sbb anak dia merayu rayu suruh ambik dua dua. tp risau jugak. mcm mana la diaorang nak mix dgn strays, gaduh ke tak, apa ke semua. takut jugak.
Alhamdulilah kalo brother in law you sanggup jaga

Err... naper pula nak mix ngan strays? You mean to say that your brother in law ambil stray dan bela ke? Kalo new cats are introduced to a new household with cats memang mesti ada gaduh gaduh (hissing je) not to worry. After a while then everything will be fine. Insyaallah..... Pastikan kucing you dah VAKSIN dengan sepenuhnya to avoid unnecessary health problems. Kalo ngan your brother in law at least you can always call your sis to find out the cats condition and then visit them on a regular basis.

Kalo your brother in law lepas them freely in and out of the house dangerous as you cats can :-

1) get hit by a car
2) get catnapped by people
3) susceptible to dieases
4) get pregannt if not nuetered
5) impregnant other cats if not nuetered
6) many more.

Try to find a solution of keeping them indoors instead.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:56 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:

bahaya tu kalau nak jadi outdoor cat.. awak kena berani hadapi sebarang kemungkinan akan berlaku... macam kucing saya Mochi tak pernah lepas ... terlepas sekejap je... 2 ekor anjing serang sampai putus kepala dia... apa boleh buat menangis je la... dia tak pernah keluar dari rumah... tak pernah tak pakai loceng ... hari tu je sebab lepas mandikan dia.. sampai sekarang sy menyesal sebab saya lalai tak perhatikan dia masa kelam kabut bukak pintu belakang ambil baju time hujan... sy harap Mochi dpt maafkan saya... sekarang ni Yulia lah penawar rindu saya pada Mochi... RIP Mochi... harap kucing2 awak tak senasib macam Mochi... fikir dahulu.. jgn jadi macam saya... kalau dia dah tiada nanti menangis air mata darah sekalipun dia tak boleh hidup kembali...