Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your cat's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 09-10-2012, 12:44 PM
PetFinder Guru

Meffy is on a distinguished road
Default Cat having diarrhea. How to treat?

My cat's been having diarrhea since yesterday. How should I treat it? She's still very active and looks quite normal. Any special diets? Or should I take her to the vet?

I suspect the manufacturer for her usual Fussie Cat changed their ingredients because the contents looked soggy and watery compared to before. I have stopped feeding her that for now. And I don't know what else to feed her
Old 09-10-2012, 02:51 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Kynthia is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cat having diarrhea. How to treat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meffy View Post
My cat's been having diarrhea since yesterday. How should I treat it? She's still very active and looks quite normal. Any special diets? Or should I take her to the vet?
The last time my cat had diarrhoea, I sent her to the vet -- that was because she was 2 month old and very sickly and suddenly had diarrhoea. The vet prescribed Bene Bac Plus gel (pre-biotics gel which comes in a syringe) and it took care of the diarrhoea after one dose. But the vet recommended that I finished the 2 weeks course.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:26 PM
PetFinder Guru

Felix The Cat is on a distinguished road

Usually for emergency cases, I will usually keep a bottle of Kaolin Pectin at home. When any of my cats have diarrhea I will usually give a dose. Kaolin Pectin will help to harden the stools. If it still persists I will send to the vet for further checkup. My Vet told me any cat having diarrhea for more than 3 days is considered chronic diarrhea and need immediate attention.

Not only food can cause diarrhea but also poor management of the cats such us feeding and drinking bowls not washed daily, tap water given to cats (must give boiled water). All these need to be looked into to avoid the cats from having tummy upset.

Felix The Cat - Dee wonderful wonderful cat!
http://felixthecats.weebly.com
http://livinginmyworld-phyllis.blogspot.com/
Old 09-10-2012, 10:01 PM
Animal Lover

zatt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix The Cat View Post
Usually for emergency cases, I will usually keep a bottle of Kaolin Pectin at home. When any of my cats have diarrhea I will usually give a dose. Kaolin Pectin will help to harden the stools. If it still persists I will send to the vet for further checkup. My Vet told me any cat having diarrhea for more than 3 days is considered chronic diarrhea and need immediate attention.

Not only food can cause diarrhea but also poor management of the cats such us feeding and drinking bowls not washed daily, tap water given to cats (must give boiled water). All these need to be looked into to avoid the cats from having tummy upset.
Hi Felix...

Do you sell that Kaolin Pectin on your site? would like to keep one, just in case my cat having diarrhea next time...

btw guys, just want to ask, i got 2 cats, one female DLH and another one is male mix breed of ASH+Bengal... both cats is 8 mts old.

Sometime I notice that my ASH+Bengal stool ended with soft texture... At the beginning his stool is hard, but when he want to finish it, at the end, his stool came out soft..

(usually i will be with my cats when they want to do their business as I just want to clean it right away.. )

any idea why? and he is very sensitive and most likely to get diarrhea.. when he having diarrhea, all the time my vet told me that he is eating to fast..

while my female DLH dont have this kind of prob at all...
Old 09-10-2012, 10:57 PM
PetFinder Guru

Thanks guys. She's still having the run as of now. I gave her something from the govt vet clinic earlier but it doesn't seem to work fast enough.

I'll send her to the vet tomorrow for my peace of mind.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:27 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zatt View Post
Hi Felix...

Do you sell that Kaolin Pectin on your site? would like to keep one, just in case my cat having diarrhea next time...

btw guys, just want to ask, i got 2 cats, one female DLH and another one is male mix breed of ASH+Bengal... both cats is 8 mts old.

Sometime I notice that my ASH+Bengal stool ended with soft texture... At the beginning his stool is hard, but when he want to finish it, at the end, his stool came out soft..

(usually i will be with my cats when they want to do their business as I just want to clean it right away.. )

any idea why? and he is very sensitive and most likely to get diarrhea.. when he having diarrhea, all the time my vet told me that he is eating to fast..

while my female DLH dont have this kind of prob at all...
Hi Meffy,

No I am not selling Kaolin Pectin my dear however you can purchase it from any Pharmacy. For adult cats you can give 2ml and for kittens 1 ml until the stools are nicely formed.

Another thing I read about your post you mentioned that your cat's stool is hard initially but towards the end it will be soft. For your information, soft stool does not mean your cat is having diarrhea. Different types of food produce different kinds of stools. Definition of diarrhea will be cats having loose and watery stools very frequent. That is diarrhea. If the stools are soft then its not diarrhea.

When you bring your cat to the vet please bring a sample of the cat's stool to the vet so that he can determine if your cat is having diarrhea or not.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:46 PM
PetFinder Guru

Ohh...so the Kaolin-Pectin is the same used for human consumption? Any particular brand?
Old 09-12-2012, 09:40 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Ohh...so the Kaolin-Pectin is the same used for human consumption? Any particular brand?
Yes, it is.
No particular brand.
I got to know about Kaolin Pectin from the Doctors in UPM.
When my cats had diarrhea they dispensed Kaolin Pectin.
Another one would be Scourban which contains antibiotic, Kaolin Pectin and electrolytes.
Scourban is specially formulated for animals so you can only get this from the vet.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:13 AM
PetFinder Guru

How long will this diarrhea take to clear? I have given her the pink liquid medicine from Klinik Veterinar and a single dosage pill from my vet. It's been one week and my cat's stools are still not solid. Sometimes I see her squeezing out a few drops only.

She's still active like normal but I try not to feed her the normal amount of food since she vomited 2 days ago.

Today I'm not sure if her poop will be back to normal. How long should I wait?
Old 09-14-2012, 10:43 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
How long will this diarrhea take to clear? I have given her the pink liquid medicine from Klinik Veterinar and a single dosage pill from my vet. It's been one week and my cat's stools are still not solid. Sometimes I see her squeezing out a few drops only.

She's still active like normal but I try not to feed her the normal amount of food since she vomited 2 days ago.

Today I'm not sure if her poop will be back to normal. How long should I wait?
With the right medication, the diarrhea can clear up within 3 to 4 days. But first of all you need to determine whether it is having diarrhea. Like I said its not necessary a cat having soft stools is having diarrhea. It could be the food that is making her poo soft. Like my cats when eating Blackwood kibbles their poo is nicely formed whilst when I feed them can food their poo will become soft and not formed at all. Sometimes overfeeding can also contribute to soft stools.

Bring her to the vet to check if she is having flu. The weather is not so good now and most cats are having flu. Better to get it checked.