Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies > Doggy TV & Photos

Doggy TV & Photos Post photos of your dogs or embed YouTube videos. Nice place to show off your puppies and doggy buddies.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:19 PM
User Account Terminated

Jeffrey Read is an unknown quantity at this point
Default URGENT: Oprah on Astro 30-Oct-08

Today is 30 October 2008.

Quickly check out Oprah on Astro immediately if you can catch the repeat. Its regarding your favourite pets, dogs in the pet trade. You will be amazed that this is happening in our own backyards [in Malaysia] too!

Jeff
Old 10-30-2008, 03:15 PM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road
Default Re: URGENT: Oprah on Astro 30-Oct-08

my mum just called me at work crying because she just saw the very episode that you are talking about..

i agree everyone should try to watch it. its about the overpopulation problem and how that forces shelters to euthanize perfectly healthy and adoptable animals. this is precisely why spaying and neutering are so important. preventing unwanted litters, also prevents unnecessary deaths.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:40 PM
User Account Terminated

lynielime,

Please watch the show and thereafter I will contact you soon. While your mum had seen the show but neither is your mum online, so it simply isn't the same.

Jeff
Old 10-30-2008, 06:12 PM
.:: Baby, I dig you! ::.

Location: Subang Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia, World of Animal Lurve...
BabyZee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BabyZee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Read View Post
Today is 30 October 2008.

Quickly check out Oprah on Astro immediately if you can catch the repeat. Its regarding your favourite pets, dogs in the pet trade. You will be amazed that this is happening in our own backyards [in Malaysia] too!

Jeff
yup, this happen and the term for this is backyard breeder (BYB)..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynielime View Post
my mum just called me at work crying because she just saw the very episode that you are talking about..

i agree everyone should try to watch it. its about the overpopulation problem and how that forces shelters to euthanize perfectly healthy and adoptable animals. this is precisely why spaying and neutering are so important. preventing unwanted litters, also prevents unnecessary deaths.
Quote:
lynielime,

Please watch the show and thereafter I will contact you soon. While your mum had seen the show but neither is your mum online, so it simply isn't the same.

Jeff
will just wait on any of our own forumers review ya..
and for now any outside review are welcome, better than no review at all..
Old 10-30-2008, 06:32 PM
User Account Terminated

BabyZee,

Nice of you to reply but I do have a request. When replying, please exclude using the "Quote" function as its duplication and it makes reading difficult for reading later on.

I hope you do not mind and try to see the benefits from another view point. Besides the recepient would know what you are referring, to in anyways so the quote is rather pointless.

Its basically only used with cross reference with something not mention in the specific thread.

Others
To those who are not able to view the show, you will be missing a great show and something more. If you are an animal rescuer or an animal lover, this is a must even if that means going to your neighbours for an hour!

Jeff

P/S: Founder and PetFinder.my Team
I would really appreciate if you guys can tune in into the show as this includes you guys.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:48 PM
.:: Baby, I dig you! ::.

Location: Subang Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia, World of Animal Lurve...
BabyZee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BabyZee

Quote:
BabyZee,

Nice of you to reply but I do have a request. When replying, please exclude using the "Quote" function as its duplication and it makes reading difficult for reading later on.

I hope you do not mind and try to see the benefits from another view point. Besides the recepient would know what you are referring, to in anyways so the quote is rather pointless.

Its basically only used with cross reference with something not mention in the specific thread.

Others
To those who are not able to view the show, you will be missing a great show and something more. If you are an animal rescuer or an animal lover, this is a must even if that means going to your neighbours for an hour!

Jeff

P/S: Founder and PetFinder.my Team
I would really appreciate if you guys can tune in into the show as this includes you guys.
well yes i do mind as this is my form of replying any posting if i need to refer to anything..
well maybe you could just make another thread about the use of quotes as many of us are using it and we want too see the 'pointless' in it..
sometimes people just rather to browse at the certain posting than to read it from the start well this is my humble opinion and i have nothing against our differences of opinion..
well i know the rules of quoting but i don't see any of it held in this forum so i'm breaking the rule of quoting and i'm using my style (so it's the same for other forumers here too)..
i won't ask you to follow my style and certainly vice versa..
well i respect your opinion and style so no hard feelings...

neway back to the topic, anyone might know any timing for this show to be repeated cause i know that astro sometimes repeat certain shows..
neway sadly for me i don't have any tv so indeed no astro too so depends on other forumers reviews..

Last edited by BabyZee; 10-30-2008 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:26 PM
User Account Terminated

BabyZee,

Excellent, guess the lines are drawn then. Surely I have no intention on starting a thread just for my tiny request; which is absolutely unnecessary.

You surely stand by your phrase at the bottom and all the best to you.

Jeff
Old 10-30-2008, 10:54 PM
User Account Terminated

Default Another dog competition on Astro

30 Oct 2008.

In 2300 hours, there will be another dog competition programme on Astro Animal Planet Channel 556. I will exclude the title of the show here, in view of sensitive animal activists!

Be sure not to miss this. The Greatest Dog Competition on earth!

Jeff

P/S: This reminds me of an article which appeared the STAR papers not too long ago about World's Intelligent Dog Breeds and World's Least Intelligent Dog Breeds or something similar. While the article turned out fine, what is surprising a writer, an animal activist wrote-in complaining about the author accusing dogs as being DUMB!

I swear never once did those articles mentioned the word DUMB as proclaimed by the animal activist writer. The animal activist is most foolish in his desperate attempt trying to look smarter than the editor! People should know their limit! Kinda reminds me of Malaysia 2nd Finance Minister or most Malaysia Ministers!

Last edited by Jeffrey Read; 10-30-2008 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:13 AM
PetFinder Guru

unfortunately, yesterday afternoon's episode of Oprah did not repeat later.. when i tuned in at 8pm, it was a new episode.. perhaps we can catch it on youtube. i am also given to understand that transcripts and recordings of previous Oprah episodes are available on the Oprah.com website. those who are interested in Oprah's take on euthanasia, the overpopulation problem, and the importance of spaying and neutering should try to look for it there.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:31 AM
User Account Terminated

lynielime,

I have not tried the methods you've mentioned before. Astro will usually do the re-runs on weekends. Infact every slot on the weekends are re-runs. Hopefully you will be able to catch that particular slot.

Will contact you directly thereafter. There is something I will like to bring to your attention or whoever else that watches it.

Jeff
Old 10-31-2008, 09:32 AM
Animal Lover

Ferreted is an unknown quantity at this point

THANK YOU... i gotta watch this one!
Old 10-31-2008, 02:13 PM
User Account Terminated

Hi Ferreted,

Nice to hear that you will be tuning in.

You can afford to miss the dog show on Channel 556 [sorry about the MIS-CUE]. Only realized when the show started! However, nobody can afford to miss the show from Oprah.

Jeff

P/S: Important : Take down notes on what you think are crucial and I will go through them with you soon.

Last edited by Jeffrey Read; 10-31-2008 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:37 AM
User Account Terminated

Hi Lynielime & Ferreted,

Did you guys managed to watch the Oprah show?
If yes, do let me know as I would like to go through something with you guys privately.

Cheers
Jeff
Old 11-04-2008, 02:01 PM
PetFinder Guru

hi jeff,
i didn't get a chance to catch oprah over the weekend. i'll have to catch it some other way.. will look for it on youtube now
Old 11-04-2008, 02:06 PM
PetFinder Guru

here's a short portion of that episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqGRPA-wUJs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km1_h7eGiKU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1jXo...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64QlA...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bx5j...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye5l9...eature=related

these are just a few of oprah's puppy mill clips. go to youtube, type in the keywords, oprah dogs or puppy mill or euthanasia.

Last edited by lynielime; 11-04-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road

Hi Jeff

I came across this thread and based on the info here, i went to oprah's website and read the transcript of their show - there were several and i read the one "investigating puppy mills" as well as others like "the truth about animal shelters and responsible breeders" (although this is a short article).

the following is the link to oprah's site with the search results on "backyard breeder"

http://www.oprah.com/search.jsp?quer...ge=1&x=27&y=12

is this the episode you were talking about?
Old 11-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Banned

Hi lynie

thanks for the links.

i watched about a few minutes i had to switched cos i don't want to break down and cried at work. reading the "typed" transcript of the show was heart-breaking enough but to watch it too..

i'm sure all of us are well-aware that these backyard breeders are plenty in malaysia - and they may be your friends, neighbours or even relatives.

question : what do we, as the animal lovers, that we claim ourselves to be, do about this?

while most backyard breeders operate in a less than humane condition, they are some who pride themselves as "Not" backyard breeders as they claim to "love" their "pets" and do not breed them for profit, they breed them because they "love" their pets and want to spread the love around a bit. they alleged their "pets" are kept in the house with the family instead of in cramped inhuman conditions (a distinction which they feel absolve them of the tag "backyard breeder"). nevertheless, when they start breeding their pets, whether for profit or out of misplaced priority, ego, misguided intention, whatever, etc, they are backyard breeders. they're creating lots and lots of animals that will certainly end up as homeless at one point or another, although these animals may not suffer at the hands of the breeders, when they become homeless, they are thrown into the cycle of suffering. and the cycle of overcrowded shelter, euthanasia and homeless strays continue.

do we stand silently and quietly go about our own business of "rescuing" stray cats/dogs as and when the need arises and stay silent on this continuous monstrous practice that churns out and contributes directly or indirectly to animal suffering and homeless animals, hiding under a misguided "humility" and pretense of "my our own business?
Old 11-04-2008, 08:07 PM
User Account Terminated

Hi lynielime,

I would have to check all the links provided to ensure that we are on the same page. However on the surface, it looks like the same except for the background music etc.

Hi ashleywong,

Your'e correct with most things however I would like to address further effectively & efficiently and that is only possible after seeing the Oprah's Show.

Hi Ferreted,

Have you managed to watch the Oprah's Show? TIP: Remember to take down notes on important stuff's! ;-)

Jeff

P/S: Is there a place which allows communition within a certain group like MSN Messenger, wherein invites can be send to desired members? Sending PM defeats the purpose and posting here has no desired effect, infact its a negative step.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:10 PM
User Account Terminated

Hi lynielime,

Yup, those are the links. Maybe its not 100% complete but it contains vital information. ;-) Ferreted, if you cannot view the Oprah show, try out lynielime links.

Hi ashleywong,

I remember asking the same question myself a long time ago. Since Oprah made a show out of it, it helps in many ways.

If you look at the papers, its the same with everything, don't you think so! Example the Eurocopter deal, first its on, then its off, then on again, then off again and it seems never ending! Sheer waste of newspaper space! I for 1 couldn't care if Malaysia got those choppers, cause it will simply crash them in time to come!

Its very similar to Roti Prata or Roti Canai mentality, flip once and flip again, then you flip again and just keeping on flipping until everything flops! Flip Flop Policy!

Back to your Q, yes there is something that can be done. So harden up your heart and focus on the task at hand, only then you will see things which is normally missed by many.

Jeff

P/S: I wonder why this did not appear on this forum! Perhaps I've missed the thread and I should say I am sorry. Otherwise, everyone should TUNE IN and make the best of the situation that had presented itself on the silver platter!

Bigger shelter for strays in Selayang
Halim Said and Dawn Chan

SELAYANG: A new and bigger shelter for all kinds of domestic animals will be built at the Rawang Integrated Industrial Park.

It will have 21 kennels and cages for dogs, cats, cows, goats and birds. It will be built by Selayang Municipal Council at a cost of RM250,000.

Council's environmental health assistant officer Zulkifli Ariffin said the shelter will be open by the end of this year.

He said the present dog pound -- the size of which is less than one eighth of a football field -- in Bandar Baru Selayang will continue operation until the end of the year.

"We are moving to the new shelter as the present one is built on Tenaga Nasional Berhad land and will soon be used for development by Selangor Development Corporation," he said.

Apart from giving temporary shelter, the pound will also have a pet re-homing programme.

It will also house a clinic called Klinik Kembiri offering neutering and spaying services for pets at a low cost.

"The clinic will be fully manned by the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Selangor (SPCA) but they will have to operate within the council bylaws," said Zulkifli.

He said until July this year, the council had caught about 2,600 stray dogs.

Sadly, Zulkifli said the dogs had to be put to sleep after seven days as no one had come forward to claim them.

Pet owners reclaiming their dogs have to pay a fine of RM100 each. So far, only 39 owners have come to reclaim their pets.

Zulkifli said the problem of stray dogs in the municipality was under control. He added that the council will act on complaints about strays from the public.

SPCA chairman Christine Chin commended the council for building a new kennel.

"We are surprised by the council's change of heart. We have been writing to the council to take the spay-and neuter-approach. We are excited that the council has finally agreed," she said.

Chin said the SPCA will begin drafting its model of the clinic based on humane factors.

She added that the SPCA will aid the council with advice on how to manage the shelter as well as hold public awareness programmes to prevent over-breeding of pets.

Last edited by Jeffrey Read; 11-05-2008 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:07 PM
Banned

Hi Jeffrey

thanks for sharing and updating here. I have missed out most of the printed and online news media lately due to my busy schedule.

On the Selayang Pound for "homeless" animals
This is cautious good news that selayang council is building a new shelter - let's hope that this heralds a change in "mentality" and "attitude" towards treatment of animals and homeless animals in particular

don't mean to sound "negative" but i wonder if the pound they build conforms to measurements and dimensions that will provide reasonable comfortable situation for the homeless animals they pick up.

On the oprah show :

i visited the you tube site (oprah's site required a download which i don't know how to do sorry). but again i only last less than 60 seconds before i started crying again. i had to switch off that screen - it's too heart-breaking and painful to see the innocent animals suffering - real mental suffering that can be in no away assuage or smoothed away - they don't know what they have done - all they have was continued hope and faith in their eyes until the last moment when a flicker of query " WHY?" mingled with their "fear".

i'm sorry i guess i'm not strong and hardened to stand seeing this - but i don't see it as my weak point - in fact i'm resolve to use this as my springboard to put my thoughts and emotions into actions to fight for the right of these animals to be free of cruelty and suffering - the right to have a decent life, same like all of us.

when i see a dog, a cat, a lizard, an ant, even the "scary" (to me that is) cockcroach - i don't see an animal or an insect - what i see is A LIFE - A SENTIENT BEING - A LIFE.

and it is wrong to impose any form of suffering (disguised in whatever form and format) unto another sentient being "JUST SO BECAUSE WE CAN AND WE DON"T CARE ABOUT IT".

IT IS JUST PLAIN WRONG and INHUMANE.

pls count me in on your group and i'll give you my support and help in any way i can.

look at my signature below - this sums up exactly how i feel on this subject.

i'll be adding another : LEAD ME, FOLLOW ME OR GET OUT OF MY WAY!