Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens

Cats & Kittens General information and discussions on taking care of your feline buddy

Old 02-17-2010, 02:54 AM
PetFinder Buddy

Amirahd is on a distinguished road
Default A good breeder.

Hi, Im here to give my opinion about what a good breeder should do before breeding their cats or selling their litters.I am not a breeder . BUT if im going to buy a new kitten, i will need all these from the seller:)

The cats.

1. A good breeder should only breed their cats, once a year, or twice, but with gap . a long gap.

2. A good breeder will make sure the cats are healty.

3. A good breeder will make sure the breeding place is clean and comfortable for the cats.

4. A good breed will make sure the cats are free from fleas, fungal , diarrhea or anything that is not good for the cat.

5.A good breeder should love the cats with all, not only just on breeding purpose, but to treat the cat as a pet too.

The litter.

1. Should be vaccine and deworm before hand to the new owner.

2. Should be clean from fleas, fungal , mites or anything alike.

3. Should only hand to the new owner when the litter complete stop drinking milk from the mother.

4. Should be feed by the right food, if its a kitten , feed it with kittens food and NOT adult food.

5. Should be love like own pet.

6. Seller should hand full document from vet , so no complication after that.

7. Should not sell sick kittens.

8. Should not lie about the kitten picture. Put other pictures, different kitten received. This is a big thing, can sue okay!

9. Should clean the kitten before hand to the new owner.

Buyers

1. Dont rush. If possible, go and see the kitten first before buying.

2. Bring the new kitten to vet 48hours after bringing the new kitten home.

3.Be fussy. Its okay to be fussy. You are giving a commitment to a living thing. You need to be fussy.

4.Make a deal, like, if the kitten is sick in the first week , you can get your money back/change the kitten/the seller need to pay for the vet.

5.Make sure you are ready for the new kid. Everything should be ready, food, litter trays&sand, cage, cat carries, food and water bowl, toys , shampoo, bed and anything you think will make the new kitten confortable.

Maybe you're not buying a license breeder . But you need to know what you are paying for. You need to ask around more. You need to be ready for whatever that is coming. You need to be prepare. Then , maybe you and your new kitten will be happy<3
Old 02-17-2010, 12:27 PM
Cat Slave

Fareen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A good breeder.

Hmmm all good points but my 2 cents worth.

I think the most important thing abt breeding is the INTENTION of breeding. Pet trading is unfortunately one of the oldest form of business and it is up to us to be wise on setting our own standards and have our own principles when it comes to owning our pets.

I am a believer tht breeding should first and foremost must come from having passion abt a particular breed or breeds. And therefore when breeding, aim to produce litters that meet the breed standards. Also aim to share and expose the breed to others. Breeding should NOT be abt money.

If the objectives are per the above, then the breeder would only breed from show quality or breed quality pedigree cats, show their cats in shows not only to obtain titles for their cats but learn abt the breed standards of a particular pedigree which will help breeders figure out how to rectify the flaws tht their litters may have. This is on top of ur other points like health, cleanliness etc.

This costs a lot of money. Really. Hence the price of a pedigree kitten is 4 figures unless the breeder is rehoming adult cats or retired breeding cats so sometimes they charge an adoption fee, depending on breeder.

So suffice to say, when buying cats, I mostly only buy pedigree due to my passion for certain breeds but most importantly because I understand their intention. It will be a lie if I were to say I am not swayed by the cuteness of kittens at Mudah, Adppost or even here at PF, but at the end of it when I calculate the amount if money these breeders make off these cats in top of their regular jobs, especially when they dun bother to vaccinate or deworm I
tak sanggup :( Their profit margin is more than 100%!!

Most of u will say, pedigree mahal, breeders are sometimes choosy who they sell cats to etc etc but based on an average pedigree kitten cost of RM1.8k (depending in quality), I would rather save or beg borrow and steal hahahaha to obtain a pedigree to ensure it's health, authenticity of the breed, breeding methods etc.

Most ppl don't care abt the authenticity or background of their kittens but health??? If we buy from Mudah, say rm500, we will never know if the kitten is bred from a very close bloodline tht sometimes causes genetic defects and health issues, we dunno if the kittens have luekimia or FELV because I'm sure dun bother to spend money testing their breeding cats for those diseases etc etc etc. So sometimes, our medical bila on these kittens alone are way more expensive than obtaining a pedigree. Not to mention, in the event if death....it's really painful...

Otherwise we can always adopt a stray or shelters like SPCA and Paws.

Think abt it....why would we allow ppl to make money off cats which they claim part of family la, treat like own children la etc. aim sure there are other ways to fund their studies, families etc...

I may have offended some 'breeders' here, but I do hope I haven't. at the end of the day, it's just my opinion :)

Proud mummy of Sophie / Dexter / Yuki / Heidi / Optimus

Feed your cats BARF!
www.catnutrition.org
Old 02-17-2010, 12:38 PM
Cat Slave

Btw, I am not a breeder and I doubt I ever will cos I x tahan jaga intact cats. Pee is very smelly, when on heat they're oily, sometimes shedding and sgt bising hahaha. And I x pandai jadi bidan and x pandai jaga small kittens hahahaha.

But I do a lot of reading, research and make friends with breeders. and oh, Ive also had experience being cheated by a Mudah seller. Maluuu!!! So lesson learnt hahaha.

Feed your cats BARF!
www.catnutrition.org
Old 02-17-2010, 01:12 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fareen View Post
Btw, I am not a breeder and I doubt I ever will cos I x tahan jaga intact cats. Pee is very smelly, when on heat they're oily, sometimes shedding and sgt bising hahaha. And I x pandai jadi bidan and x pandai jaga small kittens hahahaha.

But I do a lot of reading, research and make friends with breeders. and oh, Ive also had experience being cheated by a Mudah seller. Maluuu!!! So lesson learnt hahaha.
akak kena tipu macam mana kak ? nak tau jugak .hehe
Old 02-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amirahd View Post
akak kena tipu macam mana kak ? nak tau jugak .hehe
Hmmmm byk2 benda I ckp, part kena tipi yg awak minat? :P

Advertise gambar lain, deliver kucing lain.

Feed your cats BARF!
www.catnutrition.org
Old 02-17-2010, 06:06 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Quote:
Hmmmm byk2 benda I ckp, part kena tipi yg awak minat? :P

Advertise gambar lain, deliver kucing lain.
Heee.sorry lah kak , menarik perhatian. ramai orang sekarang mcm tu . letak gmbr lain, bagi kucing lain. yang lain lain akak cakap tu semua, mira sokong lah kak:D
Old 02-17-2010, 10:07 PM
PetFinder Guru

Suhaimy is on a distinguished road

Salam & hi.

The litter.
3. Should only hand to the new owner when the litter complete stop drinking milk from the mother.

Sy kurang setuju dgn yg ni. Kurang setuju kerana stgh2 kittens mmg ada yg stop menyusu pd usia 1 1/2 - 2 bln (mula mkn) tp masih perlukan ibu kucing tu utk belajar sikit sebyk pasal kekucingan ni. Kalau terus pisahkan pada usia 1 1/2 bln tu walau lps menyusu, kesian sgt la. Nanti ada la yg poo & pee merata pasal mmg tak ada siapa yg ajarkan. & yg lg teruk jd anti sosial. Duk sekor2 kat penjuru rumah @ bwh katil. Kdg2 ada ibu kucing yg refuse nak kasi susu pd usia kitten 1 1/2 - 2 bln tu. Jd pandai2 la kasi ruang kat ibu kucing tu sama. Kalau menetek 24/7, jgn kan kucing, manusia pun rimas. Jd kalau nak ckp complete stop drinking tu, kena letak time guideline sama. Contohnya 3 @ 4 bln ke. Utk for sale, sy prefer 4 bln. Kalau for adoption tu, boleh la kot 3 bln tu. Kalau 2 bln, no way la. Tp apa pun terima kasih Amirahd kerana sudi kongsi tips ni
Old 02-18-2010, 12:55 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default A good breeder.

Suhaimy,

akak setuju dgn point2 yg ko bagi.bagaimana pun akak pd pendapat akak,anak kucing adopt atau jual sepatutnya jgn dipisahkan dari ibu & siblings (if any) sehingga dia berusia 5 bln. pd usia 5 bln,kitten biasanya sudah mula belajar independent & dpt ilmu secukupnya yg patut dari induknya,dah blh dineuter.pd masa ini bila kita neuter kucing,klu org msh nak adopt,disini kita blh eliminate genuine cat lovers dari yg berniat tak baik samada nak breedkan kucing tu atau just nak suka2 je.

kuicng2 yg akak let go utk diadopt semuanya telah pun dineuter.so far akak blm dpt adopter yg penipu. Alhamdulilah.Less satu stress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhaimy View Post
Salam & hi.

The litter.

Sy kurang setuju dgn yg ni. Kurang setuju kerana stgh2 kittens mmg ada yg stop menyusu pd usia 1 1/2 - 2 bln (mula mkn) tp masih perlukan ibu kucing tu utk belajar sikit sebyk pasal kekucingan ni. Kalau terus pisahkan pada usia 1 1/2 bln tu walau lps menyusu, kesian sgt la. Nanti ada la yg poo & pee merata pasal mmg tak ada siapa yg ajarkan. & yg lg teruk jd anti sosial. Duk sekor2 kat penjuru rumah @ bwh katil. Kdg2 ada ibu kucing yg refuse nak kasi susu pd usia kitten 1 1/2 - 2 bln tu. Jd pandai2 la kasi ruang kat ibu kucing tu sama. Kalau menetek 24/7, jgn kan kucing, manusia pun rimas. Jd kalau nak ckp complete stop drinking tu, kena letak time guideline sama. Contohnya 3 @ 4 bln ke. Utk for sale, sy prefer 4 bln. Kalau for adoption tu, boleh la kot 3 bln tu. Kalau 2 bln, no way la. Tp apa pun terima kasih Amirahd kerana sudi kongsi tips ni
Old 02-18-2010, 10:36 PM
PetFinder Guru

Suhaimy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Suhaimy,

akak setuju dgn point2 yg ko bagi.bagaimana pun akak pd pendapat akak,anak kucing adopt atau jual sepatutnya jgn dipisahkan dari ibu & siblings (if any) sehingga dia berusia 5 bln. pd usia 5 bln,kitten biasanya sudah mula belajar independent & dpt ilmu secukupnya yg patut dari induknya,dah blh dineuter.pd masa ini bila kita neuter kucing,klu org msh nak adopt,disini kita blh eliminate genuine cat lovers dari yg berniat tak baik samada nak breedkan kucing tu atau just nak suka2 je.

kuicng2 yg akak let go utk diadopt semuanya telah pun dineuter.so far akak blm dpt adopter yg penipu. Alhamdulilah.Less satu stress.
Sy setuju gak yg bab2 spay/neuter ni. Cuma kdg2 tu kalau ekonomi tak mengizinkan, terpaksa la kasi adopt camtu je la & harap2 org yg adopt tu pandai2 la zass bila tiba masanya. Tp ada je yg buat alasan hilang @ terlepas. & yg buat alasan2 camtu la nanti yg menambahkan populasi strays kat dunia ni. Sy tak ada masalah langsung dgn mana2 breeder asalkan apa yg Amirahd ckp tu, diorg ikut semua. & kalau mampu, spay/neuter awal2 & kos tu biar buyer yg tanggung. Lg pun mesti dpt lg murah kalau spay/neuter byk2. Jd kos tak la byk sgt nanti. Pendapat sy je la. Pendapat org, ntah la
Old 02-18-2010, 10:48 PM
PetFinder Guru

Zarul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
yg ni hamba tak sanggup