Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > Lost & Found

Lost & Found Additional exposure for your Lost / Found pets, besides posting at our main PetFinder.my site. Please read our Lost & Found Guidelines first at http://PF.my/l26

Old 07-13-2010, 05:40 PM
Animal Lover

daniirwan is on a distinguished road
Default 8 months old DSH cat lost in Subang Jaya SS18..help!

His name is Junpei and he's about 8 months old. You can see his profile and picture here: http://www.petfinder.my/pets/10442/

Sadly, Junpei is now lost. A few days ago someone expressed an interest in adopting him, so I bathed and groomed Junpei and on Saturday 10th July 2010 I brought him to their house in SS18 Subang. Once there, due to mishandling, Junpei managed to escape from my pet carrier. He ran away though we tried hard to catch/find him, it was to no avail. He was so scared and kept running. I've left my pet carrier and Junpei's toys with the person in case he can smell them, so that he'll come back.

Sadly, to this day he still hasn't come back yet. The person's house is very far from Kajang, and I'm afraid Junpei has gone stray and is lost. The potential adopter isn't a cat person, so is her husband..only wanted to adopt Junpei for their daughter who really wants a cat. I should have found that out about them beforehand, but I was so excited that Junpei was going to be adopted that I forgot to properly interview them. I only got to know that they're like that only when I got to meet them. :(

I feel so very sad, he must be really scared all alone in a new place :( He trusted me and this is what I did to him :( :( :( I'm sorry Junpei, I did what I thought was best for you, but turns out it was for the worst...sob sob.

That being said, if anyone in the Subang SS18 area sees Junpei, please do let me know (email or call). I want to bring him back to Kajang if possible.

Yesterday (Monday July 12th) I went to SS18 again to find Junpei, I walked and drove around the neighbourhood for 2 hours with cat food but still couldn't find him anywhere. Lots of other cats but no Junpei.

Please help, if you're staying in SS18 area and you see a cat matching his description, do contact me ASAP! Reward will be given to anyone who manages to find and catch him.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:29 AM
Animal Lover

disheartened is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 8 months old DSH cat lost in Subang Jaya SS18..help!

I'm really sorry to hear about what you've been through! Having gone through something similar myself, I would advise you to bring a very smelly chicken/fish (something you cook at home that he is familiar with) everytime you go looking for him and just stay somewhere and wait for him to find you. He is probably very close to the area where he got lost and will come out of hiding after a while. Try to visit the area very very early in the morning when he will be less scared, but be sure to bring someone along for your own safety. Also leave dry food in the area where you last saw him, so he can find and eat it. I also heard somewhere that leaving something with your smell on it (like a sweaty t-shirt) in the area helps - you could check it everytime you go looking for him to see if he is near. All the best with finding your cat - do NOT give up, he is just lost and has not disappeared! :)
Old 07-14-2010, 09:30 AM
Animal Lover

mongrel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniirwan View Post
His name is Junpei and he's about 8 months old. You can see his profile and picture here: http://www.petfinder.my/pets/10442/

Sadly, Junpei is now lost. A few days ago someone expressed an interest in adopting him, so I bathed and groomed Junpei and on Saturday 10th July 2010 I brought him to their house in SS18 Subang. Once there, due to mishandling, Junpei managed to escape from my pet carrier. He ran away though we tried hard to catch/find him, it was to no avail. He was so scared and kept running. I've left my pet carrier and Junpei's toys with the person in case he can smell them, so that he'll come back.

Sadly, to this day he still hasn't come back yet. The person's house is very far from Kajang, and I'm afraid Junpei has gone stray and is lost. The potential adopter isn't a cat person, so is her husband..only wanted to adopt Junpei for their daughter who really wants a cat. I should have found that out about them beforehand, but I was so excited that Junpei was going to be adopted that I forgot to properly interview them. I only got to know that they're like that only when I got to meet them. :(

I feel so very sad, he must be really scared all alone in a new place :( He trusted me and this is what I did to him :( :( :( I'm sorry Junpei, I did what I thought was best for you, but turns out it was for the worst...sob sob.

That being said, if anyone in the Subang SS18 area sees Junpei, please do let me know (email or call). I want to bring him back to Kajang if possible.

Yesterday (Monday July 12th) I went to SS18 again to find Junpei, I walked and drove around the neighbourhood for 2 hours with cat food but still couldn't find him anywhere. Lots of other cats but no Junpei.

Please help, if you're staying in SS18 area and you see a cat matching his description, do contact me ASAP! Reward will be given to anyone who manages to find and catch him.
I feel sorry for the cat and for you too. But its really unfair on what you mentioned above.
I disagree with your statement. Noboby is a born animal person. You must learn to give some people a chance to be a cat lover. How much can you do by yourself?
Old 07-21-2010, 03:18 PM
Animal Lover

Disheartened: Thanks for the tip & advice. Unfortunately, due to the distance from Kajang to Subang and also due to my schedule, I am unable to go there everyday or very early in the morning/evening. I have went there twice last week to look for him, the 1st time didn't find him but the 2nd time I saw him going into someone's front yard! I quickly got out of my car and went to him with some cat food, but sadly Junpei wouldn't come to me. Maybe he has forgotten who I am :( I wanted to bring him back to Kajang to take better care of him. A kindly lady helped me to get a hold of Junpei but unfortunately, Junpei appeared to be really scared and managed to run away...again. I have distributed flyers/posters to most of the houses in that neighbourhood, saying I've lost Junpei and please would someone help. So far nothing yet.

If anyone who's living there sees him, please catch him and let me know. :(

mongrel: I understand that what I said might offend you, but I think I can somehow know a bit about someone and how they're like when I meet them, even if it's for the 1st time. Call it intuition or whatever you like. True, no one is born an animal person but...how shall I put this, certain people have a higher probability of opening their lives up to animals than others. Won't you say so?
Old 07-21-2010, 08:32 PM
Animal Lover

You're so lucky to have seen him! At least you know he is okay, for now. He has definitely not forgotten you, he is just listening to his instincts which tell him that in this new, strange environment, everything is a threat - even you! He will revert back to his normal behavior when he gets back home. Cats don't forget their loved ones easily.

Smelly, delicious fish is the best way to lure a cat that's scared of you. But it takes time, patience and lots and lots of delicious fish. If you ever change your mind and manage to take time off work, or if you go there on the weekends, this is what you should do. Also, if you ever do see him, act as normal as possible - or he may run away again. He needs to come to you on his own - it's not easy to catch a cat. Right now, he may not be that hungry, but in a few days he will be starving and will be more likely to come to you.

Please do read about lost cat behavior to see where he might be, there are many different cat personalities and they all react differently in a situation like this:
http://www.bestfriends.org/nomorehom...605lostcat.pdf
Old 07-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

daniirwan, you mention that you saw Junpei going into someone's place and that a kind lady helped you to catch Junpei but he escaped. With these facts, I think the best possible opportunity for you to get Junpei back would be to pass lots of cans of nice wet food and good kibbles to the kind lady asking her to place them in a clean bowl with some clean water at the same time and place every day. If Junpei finds the food, he will go there every day and stay around the place. Junpei will also slowly gain trust of the kind lady day by day as his feeder and later, you will be able to pick him up. It is the only way - through food everyday.

Otherwise, he will get more and more feral and scared of people as there will be many people who will shoo him away and with each passing day, make it harder for you to regain his confidence to catch him.
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 07-23-2010, 10:35 PM
Animal Lover

disheartened: Just want to tell you how much I appreciate you sharing that link with me..that guide to cat's personalities and lost cat behaviour is very useful! I think Junpei is the xenophobic type, judging from the way he struggles when people catch a hold of him and also by his slow warming-up to people, even with me when he first started coming over to my house. I think what you said is true, as he is right now in a new environment, so everything and everyone is a threat.
When I saw him last week (my 2nd trip to Subang to look for him), it's already been 7 days since he ran away, so I think he was already quite hungry. Don't really understand why he didn't come to me and my offered wet cat food.

Update: I went there again yesterday (22/7) late afternoon at about 3PM, to look for Junpei. This is the third time I went there. I kept everything that you & the guide said in mind, but sadly, this time there were no sign of Junpei..I didn't see him at all. Spent an hour plus before decided to call it off. Seems like the 100 lost cat flyers I distributed to all the houses there did little good. :( I will go there again next week, time permitting. Hopefully better luck then.

disheartened, would you mind sharing your story with me? You mentioned you went through a similar experience?

Furkids: that's a good idea, thank you. I have thought of it before but the only problem is that the kindly old lady also has several cats who goes outdoors..also they are lots of other cats (strays or otherwise) in the neighbourhood..they are bound to eat all the food up before Junpei gets there! Any other ideas?
Old 07-24-2010, 04:01 AM
Animal Lover

All the things I mentioned previously were based on my own experience. My cat got lost in an area unfamiliar to him, and he has been lost for almost 2 months now. I still have not given up hope. I've lost count of how many times I went there looking for him, sometimes even 3 times a day (and the place is about 30 mins drive away). The first thing my cat did was to hide in a drain, he didn't come out for hours. And then people tried to help but it only freaked him out. I learned the hard way that you should not get strangers to approach your cat - they will only scare him off further and further away. I appreciate all their help regardless. I'm just worried sick about my cat and I don't know if he ever managed to get out of the drain. There are so many things I wish I could take back.

I did learn a lot of things along the way about finding a cat:
1. You cannot run after your cat, he has to come to you on his own. Speak with a soft voice, get some smelly tuna out and encourage him to come out. Do not make sudden movements or he will run away. He has to walk to you and eat the tuna. Then he may trust you enough to let you take him home. Do NOT ever get a stranger to approach him. He will simply run away. He knows only you, and will trust only you.
2. When you walk around, keep opened canned tuna in your hand (the one sold in supermarkets for humans - they smell more) to let the smell draw cats in. Also listen often for his cries. If you hear any meowing, check the tree, check the drain, check under the cars - don't leave that place until you find the cat that meowed. It is possible that someone liked your kitty so much they decided to keep him. So the meow could be coming from a house, too.
3. Leave lots of dry food in the area everytime you visit. It's going to take him a while to adjust to being a feral cat, and he needs all the help he can get right now. Dry food doesn't go bad as fast as wet food does, it's cheaper, and more cats will be able to eat it. Feral cats normally have a 'feral feeding station' (like a kind old lady's house) that they eat from everyday. If you manage to find this 'station' check it often. Talk to the 'station's' owner if you can and ask if they've seen your cat. Take a picture along to show them, and leave your number with them.
4. You may see a lot of lookalikes. BEFORE you go searching, get your old pictures out and memorize the pattern - is his belly white, are his ears orange, is his nose pink, how thick is his tail. You will often only manage to catch a glimpse of a cat before it runs off so you have to be sure.
5. Keep cat food in your pocket at all times. I once caught glimpse of a cat and he was waiting for me to give food and because I didn't have it with me, I lost time, he saw a stranger and ran away never to be seen again. It might have been my cat, I'll never know.
6. Stay in the same place for 15 mins and call out for him loudly. Cats can move both ears in a different direction to determine where the sound is coming from. If you're not there by the time he finds you, it will all have been for nothing. Give him time to come to you.
7. The two stories that inspired me to keep looking were 1) a little boy went searching for his cat again after 10 days had passed, and when he failed he sat down on a bench in the park and started crying, and his cat came to him and jumped on his lap! 2) someone hired a pet detective and he found him after 1 month whilst it was eating at a feral 'feeding station' very close to the place where he got lost.
8. Try to think like a cat - I need shelter, I need food. Where would I need to stick close to? Check Google Maps to have an overall view of the place where he got lost. Cats like places like parking lots where there are few people around.

I am guessing that the reason why your kitty ran away from you was because you walked towards him and he felt the need to hide, and the food wasn't smelly enough to change his mind. Next time you see him - Act normal, speak softly if you speak at all, offer the smelly tuna in your hand to him, leave it on the ground and back away so he can come and eat it.

I know how devastating this situation must be for you. Sometimes I feel like crying before I even begin searching. Hence my username 'disheartened'. Thanks for allowing me to share my story. I have never seen my cat but you've already seen yours once - I have high hopes for you. And it's a very kind thing you're doing for this cat. I hope you find him, and I hope he's safe and well.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:25 PM
Animal Lover

Good news: Junpei is still alive & well. The 10th of July 2011 is the 1 year anniversary of him being lost (ran away) & becoming a stray. On the 11th of July (yesterday) I went back to Subang SS18/5G, the place where he was lost to remember him and also I guess to look for him, like I've done so many times before this.

Guess what? While I was driving around the neighborhood, out came a cat from under a car. I wasn't sure at first, so I got out of my car & went after the cat, calling Junpei's name to see if he would respond. He saw me coming and quickly ran away, dodging under another parked car. Before he snuck away, I saw a mark on his hind right leg, which confirms that yes..it is him! Miraculously, Junpei is still alive & relatively well after a year of living in the streets. I can hardly believe it, but apparently it's true. What's even more miraculous, I think, is for me to be able to see him again after so long. And on the same street & near to the same house where he was lost 1 year ago. Is it coincidence...or fate?

From what I can see, he looks a bit dirty & dusty, but is otherwise fine, although I did detect a slight limp when I saw him running away. Perhaps he suffered a leg injury some time ago. He also kept scratching his ears, so I guess he has a mild skin condition too.

I tried calling for him to come out from under the car he was hiding under, but he wouldn't come out. I heard again his strange, hoarse meowww, that I haven't heard for so long. I tried calling to him for a few minutes, but he just looked at me & then looked away again. He wouldn't come to me. So I went back to my car to check if I have any cat food in the boot (I usually have some, in case I see a stray cat in need). Unfortunately, this time there were none in my car. So I quickly hopped into the driver seat & drove away to the nearest 7-11 or vet to find some cat food to feed and lure Junpei with. Before I drove away, I spotted Junpei still under the same car, but this time he's sitting upright & appeared to be more alert. I said in my heart..."Please wait Junpei, I'll be back real soon with food".

The nearest vet that I found had cat food, I reached for a few cans but frustratingly enough, they didn't have change for the RM50 I handed to them. So I had to leave to find another shop. About 5 minutes later, I came out of a nearby 7-11 with cans & packets of wet food.

When I came back to the place where I last saw Junpei, he was nowhere to be seen. I walked around for half an hour, cursing myself all the while for not having food with me the 1st time around when I saw him. About 40 minutes later, after looking under a lot of cars and walking around a lot, I drove back home to Bangi, defeated.

I wonder what I should do now. I can't stop thinking about Junpei ever since yesterday. What happened is too miraculous, too good to be true. I mean, what are the odds of me seeing him again after so long. Is this all fate..is it supposed to mean something? Does God want me to do something? I don't know what it is. I asked myself, if Junpei did come to me when I saw him yesterday, would I have taken him back to the apartment in Kajang (where I used to lived), which is the place where he was born? If so, would that be better for him...or would leaving him be where he is now in Subang ultimately be better for him? Perhaps he is already somewhat familiar and comfortable where he is now, and capturing him & bringing him back to the Kajang apartment would only serve to disorient him, as he would have to adjust to a new place & new life..again. Perhaps it is better if I catch him and bring him to the vet to be treated for his skin condition, check his legs, deworm him, give medications and a good bath..then just release him back to the Subang neighborhood? Would that be the best for him?

I just don't know. I would appreciate your thoughts and advice. Has anyone been in the same situation before? Please advise me. Thank you in advance.

-Dani
Old 07-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Animal Lover

Anyone? Please help...
Old 07-14-2011, 01:11 PM
Animal Lover

I'm going to go & look for Junpei again today. I hope someone can give me some advice on what I should do for him..thanks.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:49 PM
Animal Lover

phatgurl is on a distinguished road

I lost my cat 2 months ago and willingly pay high sum of money if someone could return her. If I'm in your situation who had the chance to have my cat back to me again, I would try my best to catch Junpei, send him to the vet and bring him home. He became a street cat because he escaped from your carrier and he is so lucky that he is still surviving. Personally I'd say there is no better place like home no matter whether it's in Subang or Kajang or anywhere else but I think you should ask yourself whether you really love Junpei and willing to take care of him again. If you don't want to have him, just send him to the vet though and send him for adoption rather than leaving him on the street. He used to live in a home so he is given a second chance to be back at home... That's just my two-cents thought.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:27 PM
Animal Lover

I think you need to give yourself a break and have a sigh of relief.. Junpei is well and alive. And I'm so glad to hear the good news! I guess the stories other people tell are true.. cats don't go far when they get lost!

IF you leave him there, he will probably be ok. IF you don't, who knows, it could be for better or for worse. Don't bathe him though, if his smell goes away, he will have to do catfights all over again to protect his territory as the other cats will think he is someone new. The limping is most likely the result of a catfight.

I'm so happy for you, at least you know Junpei is still alive and kicking! Don't go away to buy food next time you see him, just sit there and wait for him to come to you. If you have food, that will lure him in but don't hate yourself for not having food 365 days after the day he got lost!

I know you wanted to bring him home, but I see this as a happy ending. I hope you will too :)
Old 07-15-2011, 01:55 AM
Animal Lover

PusaChomel is on a distinguished road

i lost my cat too. i had search everywhere and put some flyer around my neighborhood and 7-e nearby.
I've done the same thing drove almost every nite and pray to meet him. i really pity him because he is not a social cat and very afraid of strangers. he even ran away when i took out vacuum cleaner or hair dryer. hope he survive and pray to God I will found him someday.