Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies

Dogs & Puppies General information and discussions on taking care of your canine buddy

Old 09-19-2010, 08:31 PM
Animal Lover

kwl1990 is on a distinguished road
Default hopefully u guys can giv me a hope...

hello every buddy... i m looking a puppy to adopt.. my gf wants a mini/toy poodle but i lack of money buy to her.. so, i hope i can found once in here that you guys can adopt because i want make a birthday present to her, if adopt fees require, i hope it will be less than RM200 because i am really lack of money.. thx..

my hometown at Bukit Mertajam, Penang.. so, may i looking u guys around penang area...

PM me if u have any question ..thx ya
email address>> wei_leons@hotmail.com

If u guys need to know either me noe to take care puppy o nt..>>

I have been live together with a german shepherd for 1 year and a toy poodle for 2 year during my college study..
but this 2 doggie is nt mine, it is my housemate..

-i have been sleep together with the poodle
-i feed them and bring them to a walk when my housemate busy..
-i nt washing and clean their body but i take them to the shop and having a good spa and sometime cutting the hair
Old 09-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation
Default Re: hopefully u guys can giv me a hope...

Hi kwl1990,

I think it is very nice of you to want to give your girlfriend what she wants. However, we are not talking about a handbag or clothes. We are talking about a live animal.

You mentioned that you don't have the money to buy a dog, and if an adoption fee is required, it should be less than RM200.

I wonder if you realise that keeping a pet is not cheap. It costs quite a bit of money. It will certainly cost you a lot more than the adoption fee.

As such, I would like to ask you to reconsider before adopting a dog for your girlfriend.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:01 AM
PetFinder Guru

MidnightMaiden is on a distinguished road

Hi Kwl,

I agree with Blackie. Dogs are not easy to care for. The first consideration on your 'buying a dog checklist' should of course be budget. Can you afford to take good care of it?

This doesn't only mean the monthly bags of dog food (which can be quite expensive) but also the vet's bills for full vaccinations, normal health check ups, as well as vet care when they get unexpectedly sick. (Just like humans, man's best friend will fall sick every now and then with flu, fever etc, and they are also prone to heart disease, liver failure,eczema, cataracts...just like humans) So you have to be prepared to foot the bill for these expected and unexpected expenses.

Aside from that, dogs will also need constant grooming, especially the type that u plan to get for ur gf. Sometimes it will be necessary to send it for professional grooming etc, and that can also be quite expensive.

Aside from that, do consider the time constraints as well. Do you have time to walk your puppy at least three times a week? Are you guys away from home often and if so, do you know someone trustworthy who can look after your dog? Or when you go for holidays, you might have to send it for boarding, which again, can be quite expensive.

Aside from that is the time constraint. Lliving with a housemate's pet and actually owning one yourself will be a very, very, very different experience. Full responsibility lies on u, and u don't get to give the pet back after u've finished playing with it.

So you see, buying a dog (or any pet) requires a lot of forethought and financial planning. So i hope you'll consider everything that's involved and make the best informed decision possible.

Ps: Ur gf might be just be as happy with a nice fancy dinner and a handbag and/or a cute piece of jewellery
Old 09-23-2010, 11:10 AM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default hopefully u guys can giv me a hope...

Couldn't agree more with MM and Blackie. Now take my cat, Peterpan for perfect example. (take note dog's medication is more expensive that cat)

He was admitted to the vet for gingivitis. Stay for 2 nites for scaling. Medication including blood test, GA for scaling, medicine for his gingivitis, special food (he can't eat kibbles). The bill comes up around RM500 (after some negotation with the vet). Another RM100 for follow up treatment. Then another RM500 for acupuncture session to stimulate his appetite and health.

Dogs is not a toy. To have a pet is a lifetime commitment. What happen if you girlfriend feel one day scooping dog's poo/pee, sending her pet back and forth to the vet is tiring?? Dog is like human too. They get old. That is the time when they need tip top medication. She need to spend a lot of $$$$ on medication bill,food etc. To put it in a simple word, to have cat or dog (pet) is like having your own kids. Tell her that and you will see if she is ready to have a kid with 4 legs

If she is not ready, then you can tell to spend her money on clothes, shoes,handbags,jewellery or go travelling.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:20 PM
PetFinder Guru

adrianng87 is on a distinguished road

hi kwl1990,
what blackie007, MidnightMaiden and June said about the responsibilities to take care of dogs is absolutely correct.

i have seen my friends and even my close cousins who have the same thoughts like you mentioned, the outcome of after-getting-the-dog, some cases i've seen are very dreadful, from what your girlfriend have in mind at first might be the reversed way of treating the dog.

to explain a little example of the situation, it was 3 years back, my college friend actually bought a shih tzu for his girlfriend's birthday, this birthday present was related back when his girlfriend had told him that she likes shih tzu very very much when they were visiting a pet shop. and the sad case is, after they both broke up and never get along together even as friends, his ex-girlfriend actually return the shih tzu back to my friend as she believes the dog also carries my friend's personalities and mistakes in relationship. and later that, my friend is the one who is taking care of the dog, knowing that he himself is not capable, he have to ask his mother to support half of it's expenses like vet visits and medication to take care of the shih tzu himself. this is the worst part of humans gettin' emotional over pets and mistreat them by throwing here and there when relationship goes ugly. pets are not just used as a mere gift, but you will have to consider to take care of them like humans also as they have precious lives to live too.

so kwl1990, i am not trying to object anything here, just here to give my thoughts and experience i see. if you are really serious in gettin' just any dog or any pets, consider again, consider twice... or how many times you need to think this will help your girlfriend and the pet. good luck!
Old 09-23-2010, 03:09 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

kwl1990

So, Dude, you really wanna give your girl a present?

Come, come, Abang FK give you some "abang-ly" advice:

Give her a house.

Good re-sale value.

If she leaves you, she will definitely want keep the present for herself even if it carries along bad memories of you.

But if she has the good taste to return it to you, you can always live in it, let it out or sell it off.

Nobody suffers, certainly not the house.

"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 09-23-2010, 04:57 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

"I am an excellent house-keeper.

When I divorce my husbands, I always keep the house!"

-Zsa Zsa Gabor

KWL1990, add me to the list of people who would discourage you from giving a dog as a gift. You said that you've had experience with dogs, so you already know how much work and expense is involved in caring for a dog well.

If your girlfriend is really sincere about taking on the responsibility and cost of keeping a dog, she should really be the one to choose the pup, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurKids View Post
kwl1990

So, Dude, you really wanna give your girl a present?

Come, come, Abang FK give you some "abang-ly" advice:

Give her a house.

Good re-sale value.

If she leaves you, she will definitely want keep the present for herself even if it carries along bad memories of you.

But if she has the good taste to return it to you, you can always live in it, let it out or sell it off.

Nobody suffers, certainly not the house.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:35 PM
PetFinder Guru

adrianng87 is on a distinguished road

well said Furkids!
Old 09-24-2010, 10:03 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
"I am an excellent house-keeper. When I divorce my husbands, I always keep the house!"

-Zsa Zsa Gabor
Hahahahhahaaaaaaa!!!! Real good one, Maneki!

Adrian (Kacang Papa), thanks, friend!
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies