Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > Animal Organizations & Societies > SPCA

SPCA All discussions and information related to the non-profit SPCA organization. SPCA is the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Animal Lover

shima138 is on a distinguished road
Default Kittens: Hand over to SPCA or rehome them myself?

I saved 3 stray kittens separately and now I'm trying to find them good homes. I can't keep them as living arrangements and conditions make it hard for me to care for them well.

I contacted SPCA Melaka vice president and she said she's willing to take all 3 in. Today a student texted me saying he/she's interested in adopting the kittens.

My first choice was to give the kittens into the care of SPCA seeing that the possible adopter is a secondary school student. I don't want them to end up back on the streets.

But then I start thinking about the chances of the kittens being adopted in SPCA. I was told by the v.p that currently there are 130 cats in their shelter. With that many cats would my kittens ever get adopted?

Please offer some advice :(
Old 08-30-2010, 08:51 AM
insan biasa

ms pasola is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ms pasola
Default Re: Kittens: Hand over to SPCA or rehome them myself?

shima,ape kate awak iklankan gambar2 kucing tu semua dalam PF ni..insyaAllah, akan ade la rezeki diorang tu nanti..pada pendapat saye, serahkan kpd SPCA tu biarlah jalan yang terakhir...macam yang awak sedia maklum, dekat sane pon mmg da banyak kucing2 yang tggu utk di adopt..jadi kite usaha la cara yang lain dlu utk cr tuan baru utk kucing2 tu..ape2pun, iklankan dlu gamba diorang dekat sini,ye?
Old 08-30-2010, 09:46 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shima138 View Post
I saved 3 stray kittens separately and now I'm trying to find them good homes. I can't keep them as living arrangements and conditions make it hard for me to care for them well.

I contacted SPCA Melaka vice president and she said she's willing to take all 3 in. Today a student texted me saying he/she's interested in adopting the kittens.

My first choice was to give the kittens into the care of SPCA seeing that the possible adopter is a secondary school student. I don't want them to end up back on the streets.

But then I start thinking about the chances of the kittens being adopted in SPCA. I was told by the v.p that currently there are 130 cats in their shelter. With that many cats would my kittens ever get adopted?
Please offer some advice :(
Okay la shima138, saya cakap apa yg orang segan/tak sampai hati utk bagi tahu secara berterus terang terhadap soalan cepumas shima138:

Kittens yg kecil/kurang sihat dan kucing dewasa kurang sihat dan juga rupa biasa (bulu tak cukup panjang) adalah first to go utk dibinasakan di atas alasan tak cukup tempat. Bila terlalu banyak serahan/buangan kucing/kittens, mereka simpan tak sampai seminggu pun. Kadang-kadang dua tiga hari dah dibunuh. Setiap bulan, beratus-ratus dibinasakan walaupun tidak sakit atau cacat.

Terdapat ramai yg cerita sambil mengalir air mata mereka menerima kata-kata bahawa mereka akan simpan seminggu dua bagi peluang adoption tetapi bila pergi balik dalam dua tiga hari sahaja, didapati kucing dah dibunuh di atas alasan tak cukup tempat tetapi mereka tidak berterus terang semasa pengambilan kucing.

Ramai yg menyesal. Sebab tu lah member kasi nasihat that SPCA should always be your last option. Tetapi utk mereka yg peka, it must NEVER be your option AT ALL. Who are we to play God?
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 08-30-2010, 11:50 AM
PetFinder Guru

MidnightMaiden is on a distinguished road

Thanks FK for this jarring no-beating around-the-bush response. We all need to be reminded of this brutal reality from time to time to give us a push to double up our efforts in trying to rescue & rehome these innocent furballs.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightMaiden View Post
Thanks FK for this jarring no-beating around-the-bush response. We all need to be reminded of this brutal reality from time to time to give us a push to double up our efforts in trying to rescue & rehome these innocent furballs.
Yes, friend ... and also the all-important decision to neuter our cats, especially all the strays that we feed outside to spare them the suffering all-round. Don't simply feed, but feed so that you can befriend them to catch and neuter. Give them that precious gift of a lifetime so that the stray animal from then on only needs to fend for itself and not be burdened by kittens as well. Dah lah utk sendiri pun dia tak ada tempat berlindung dan susah cari makanan, ini nak lindung dan cari makanan utk semua anak-anak kecik lagi. Poor, poor animals!
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 08-30-2010, 03:13 PM
Animal Lover

Unhappy Re: Kittens: Hand over to SPCA or rehome them myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms pasola View Post
shima,ape kate awak iklankan gambar2 kucing tu semua dalam PF ni..insyaAllah, akan ade la rezeki diorang tu nanti..pada pendapat saye, serahkan kpd SPCA tu biarlah jalan yang terakhir...macam yang awak sedia maklum, dekat sane pon mmg da banyak kucing2 yang tggu utk di adopt..jadi kite usaha la cara yang lain dlu utk cr tuan baru utk kucing2 tu..ape2pun, iklankan dlu gamba diorang dekat sini,ye?
Thank you for replying.

I've put all of them up on here for adoption (check my pet profiles). So far none has come forward to open their home to the kittens.

It's very difficult for me to go around or I would have gone to good neighbourhood areas asking if anyone would like to keep them day after day. So you see I'm running out of time and resources. None of my friends can keep them either, we're all students.

I live in a flat and no one there is willing to keep the kittens, or I wouldn't have found them in the first place. Someone would have taken them in.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:29 PM
PetFinder Guru

Nur_illiyana is on a distinguished road

shima, i nak sangat tolong u tp i pon tak mampu..
i ada satu lg cadangan, u cuba pergi mana2 vet mintak tolong diorang letak all your kitten kat klinik for adoption..
Old 08-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurKids View Post
Okay la shima138, saya cakap apa yg orang segan/tak sampai hati utk bagi tahu secara berterus terang terhadap soalan cepumas shima138:

Kittens yg kecil/kurang sihat dan kucing dewasa kurang sihat dan juga rupa biasa (bulu tak cukup panjang) adalah first to go utk dibinasakan di atas alasan tak cukup tempat. Bila terlalu banyak serahan/buangan kucing/kittens, mereka simpan tak sampai seminggu pun. Kadang-kadang dua tiga hari dah dibunuh. Setiap bulan, beratus-ratus dibinasakan walaupun tidak sakit atau cacat.

Terdapat ramai yg cerita sambil mengalir air mata mereka menerima kata-kata bahawa mereka akan simpan seminggu dua bagi peluang adoption tetapi bila pergi balik dalam dua tiga hari sahaja, didapati kucing dah dibunuh di atas alasan tak cukup tempat tetapi mereka tidak berterus terang semasa pengambilan kucing.

Ramai yg menyesal. Sebab tu lah member kasi nasihat that SPCA should always be your last option. Tetapi utk mereka yg peka, it must NEVER be your option AT ALL. Who are we to play God?

God that is beyond horrible. I never knew.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:37 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nur_illiyana View Post
i ada satu lg cadangan, u cuba pergi mana2 vet mintak tolong diorang letak all your kitten kat klinik for adoption..
Itu saya rasa kena bayar boarding juga, lagipun klinik banyak penyakit mcm hospital manusia banyak kuman penyakit sebab tu dipanggil "rumah sakit" dulu. Satu lagi kan, orang selalu buang kucing berkotak-kotak di merata-rata pintu depan klinik mereka pun banyak yg terpaksa membunuh gitu sahaja, cuma tak cerita ajer.

One of my vets cukup seram bila terserempak dengan kotak cardboard depan klinik. One day saya pickup satu kotak tebal di kaki lima dan bawa bersama letak diluar klinik sementara bawa kucing jumpa vet. Bila vet tu nampak kotak, terus dengan suara panik dan kuat, dia tanya staff kat luar, "Kotak apa tu? Bila dan siapa taroh di sana?"

Bulu badan beliau yg semua berdiri tegak hanya turun apabila dengan suara innocent saya menjawab, "Oh itu kotak saya kutip nak bawa balik alas sangkar anak bulus sebab nampak kuat dan tebal".

Vet tu kata setiap kali dia nampak kotak diluar klinik dia rimas.

Memang kesian la Shima, saya pun penuh sampai tak dapat bernafas. Tapi memang kesian .... dan saya doakan semoga Tuhan buka jalan utk Shima menolong kittens tersebut. Don't give up, ya?
Old 08-30-2010, 03:40 PM
PetFinder Guru

Bro FK,
apa lg yg kita mampu buat?
Old 08-30-2010, 04:19 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Thanks Illiyana (hehe macam iklan Sunsilk (Sunsilk eh?) "Illiyana? Dia memmmang cantik!")

Nanti saya pergi the nearest vet and tanya. Susah betul tak ada transport sendiri..and also income :P

But for the time being, I'm bent on taking the kittens home to Kelantan. Just another problem. Saya kena naik bas Transnasional from Melaka to KLIA.
Pak Cik Bas tu nak bagi ke saya bawak naik kucing?
Old 08-30-2010, 04:34 PM
PetFinder Guru

shima,
i ada PM u please check
Old 08-30-2010, 05:01 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
Bro FK,
apa lg yg kita mampu buat?
Yana, many, many times saya sendiri terserempak with the same question sebab mata saya pun tak tahan nengok kittens mati merata-rata dan mesti kutip.

Times like this, apabila menghadap semua jalan buntu, saya doakan supaya Tuhan perform a miracle dan buka jalan.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:09 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

A few members have posted this on the forum over the years, but I think it bears re-reading.

A Letter from a Shelter Manager:

I think our society needs a huge " Wake-up" call. As a shelter manager, I am going to share a little insight with you all. ..a view from the inside if you will.

First off, all of you breeders/sellers should be made to work in the "back" of an animal shelter for just one day.

Maybe if you saw the life drain from a few sad, lost, confused eyes, you would change your mind about breeding
and selling to people you don't even know. That puppy you just sold will most likely end up in my shelter when
it's not a cute little puppy anymore.

So how would you feel if you knew that there's about a > 90% chance that dog will never walk out of the shelter
it is going to be dumped at? Purebred or not! About 50% of all of the dogs that are "owner surrenders" or "strays"
that come into my shelter are purebred dogs.

The most common excuses I hear are;

"We are moving and we can't take our dog (or cat).
" Really? Where are you moving to that doesn't allow pets
and why did you choose that place instead of a pet friendly
home?

Or they say "The dog got bigger than we thought it would".
How big did you think a German Shepherd would get?

"We don't have time for her". Really? I work a 10- 12 hour
day and still have time for my 6 dogs!

"She' s tearing up our yard". How about making her a part
of your family?

They always tell me: "We just don't want to have to stress
about finding a place for her we know she'll get adopted, she's
a good dog."

Odds are your pet won't get adopted & how stressful do you think being in a shelter is? Well, let me tell you,
your pet has 72 hours to find a new family from the moment you drop it off. Sometimes a little longer if the shelter
isn't full and your dog manages to stay completely healthy. If it sniffles, it dies.

Your pet will be confined to a small run/kennel in a room with about 25 other barking or crying animals. It will have
to relieve itself where it eats and sleeps.

It will be depressed and it will cry constantly for the family that abandoned it.

If your pet is lucky, I will have enough volunteers in that day to take him/her for a walk. If I don't, your pet
won't get any attention besides having a bowl of food slid under the kennel door and the waste sprayed out of its
pen with a high-powered hose.

If your dog is big, black or any of the "Bully" breeds (pit bull, rottie, mastiff, etc) it was pretty much
dead when you walked it through the front door. Those dogs just don't get adopted.

It doesn't matter how 'sweet' or 'well behaved' they are. If your dog doesn't get adopted within its 72 hours and the shelter is full, it will be destroyed.

If the shelter isn't full and your dog is good enough, and of a desirable enough breed it may get a stay of
execution, but not for long.

Most dogs get very kennel protective after about a week and are destroyed for showing aggression. Even the
sweetest dogs will turn in this environment.

If your pet makes it over all of those hurdles chances are it will get kennel cough or an upper respiratory infection
and will be destroyed because shelters just don't have the funds to pay for even a $100 treatment.

Here's a little euthanasia 101 for those of you that have never witnessed a perfectly healthy, scared animal
being "put-down"....

First, your pet will be taken from its kennel on a leash. They always look like they think they are going for a walk -
happy, wagging their tails.

Until, they get to "The Room", every one of them freak out and put the brakes on when we get to the door. It
must smell like death or they can feel the sad souls that are left in there, it's strange, but it happens with
every one of them.

Your dog or cat will be restrained, held down by 1 or 2 vet techs depending on the size and how freaked out they are.

Then a euthanasia tech or a vet will start the process. They will find a vein in the front leg and inject a lethal
dose of the "pink stuff".

Hopefully your pet doesn't panic from being restrained and jerk. I've seen the needles tear out of a leg and
been covered with the resulting blood and been deafened by the yelps and screams.

They all don't just "go to sleep", sometimes they spasm for a while, gasp for air and defecate on themselves.

When it all ends, your pet's corpse will be stacked like firewood in a large freezer in the back with all of the
other animals that were killed waiting to be picked up like garbage.

What happens next? Cremated? Taken to the dump? Rendered into pet food? You'll never know and it probably
won't even cross your mind. It was just an animal and you can always buy another one, right?

I hope that those of you that have read this are bawling your eyes out and can't get the pictures out of your
head I deal with everyday on the way home from work.

I hate my job, I hate that it exists & I hate that it will always be there unless you people make some changes and
realize that the lives you are affecting go much further than the pets you dump at a shelter.

Between 9 and 11 MILLION animals die every year in shelters and only you can stop it. I do my best to save every life I can but rescues are always full, and there are more animals coming in everyday than there are homes.

My point to all of this: DON'T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!

Hate me if you want to. The truth hurts and reality is what it is.

I just hope I maybe changed one person's mind about breeding their dog, taking their loving pet to a shelter, or
buying a dog.

I hope that someone will walk into my shelter and say "I saw this and it made me want to adopt." THAT
WOULD MAKE IT WORTH IT!

PLEASE FORWARD, CROSS POST, CIRCULATE TO YOUR FRIENDS. FAMILY, & CONTACTS!!!!
Old 09-01-2010, 09:31 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
... Then a euthanasia tech or a vet will start the process. They will find a vein in the front leg and inject a lethal dose of the "pink stuff". ...
Got the stomach to know more horrorful truths?

Not all are injected the killer solution through the vein. Many are simply stabbed in the heart (the small ones (especially tiny kittens) whose limbs are small the veins are near impossible to locate, let alone insert a needle. Others are so dehydrated that the veins are collapsed and the needle cannot be inserted). So just plunge the needle hard into the heart through the chest.

Many too, are simply dunked into water and drowned - it is faster and more economical by far.

Others are simply flung into the dens of tigers and lions to be eaten dead or alive.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:08 AM
Animal Lover

syidajaafar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Got the stomach to know more horrorful truths?
Oh Furkids...do you really have to?

So, so, so sad now
Old 09-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
Originally Posted by syidajaafar View Post
Oh Furkids...do you really have to?

So, so, so sad now
Yes, I have to sebab kalau tidak, so many of us do not know and go away with a nice feeling that the cat/kitten is "put to sleep" nicely without suffering. Now that we know the horror, I hope that we will all go tell everybody that do not know (memang RAMAI tak tahu or ever can imagine how terrible the animals suffer hingga ke saat-saat akhir mereka!) so that people will not send to the kill-shelters but to do their utmost to kembiri the animals and not let them simply breed and later be caught by pihak berkuasa tempatan and destroyed.

Good, so now everyone knows the truth. So let us get out of our comfortable chair dan tolong dalam usaha mengembirikan mereka and reduce the suffering!
Old 09-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
So let us get out of our comfortable chair dan tolong dalam usaha mengembirikan mereka and reduce the suffering!
Yup! Will do that as soon as i get back to my kampung and culik my family's male cat and off we go for zasssssssss! (my parents are old fashioned, if you understand what i mean )

It's not much, but at least it is a start.

Please pray for me that my dad won't notice that the cat's balls are gone or i'll have to answer to him..huhu....(gila takut ngn my dad sebenarnya) Kalau kucing2 i sendiri memang dah zass dah pun, dia takleh nak kata apa laa, tp kalau kucing dia, memang dia tak bagi huhuhuhu
Old 09-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
Originally Posted by syidajaafar View Post
Yup! Will do that as soon as i get back to my kampung and culik my family's male cat and off we go for zasssssssss! (my parents are old fashioned, if you understand what i mean )

It's not much, but at least it is a start.

Please pray for me that my dad won't notice that the cat's balls are gone or i'll have to answer to him..huhu....(gila takut ngn my dad sebenarnya) Kalau kucing2 i sendiri memang dah zass dah pun, dia takleh nak kata apa laa, tp kalau kucing dia, memang dia tak bagi huhuhuhu
Kalau dia notice pun, ala ... buat duhhh ajer ... kalo marah, biar masuk telinga kanan keluar telinga kiri, kalau dia pukul sampai mati pon, you can rest in peace that you died for a good cause (hahahahha!!!), lagi pon, we die only once .... hahaaaa!!!

Your mom and dad will get over it, maybe one day dok cerita dengan cucu sambil ketawa that their mom curi-curi kembiri-ed the cat!

Be brave, be strong, cik adik. To do things that are right and good, we have to be strong people!

Pastu bila dah jadi cikgu, ajar kembiri dalam kelas .... hehehhehe!!! dapat gelaran Cikgu Zass pun tak per ......
Old 09-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Kalau dia notice pun, ala ... buat duhhh ajer ... kalo marah, biar masuk telinga kanan keluar telinga kiri, kalau dia pukul sampai mati pon, you can rest in peace that you died for a good cause (hahahahha!!!), lagi pon, we die only once .... hahaaaa!!!
Furkids, nanti kalau i mati, u amik ye anak2 i bela. I trust no one else.

Tapi i takut u pening kepala pulak, anak2 i kan complicated budak2nya hehehe

Quote:
Pastu bila dah jadi cikgu, ajar kembiri dalam kelas .... hehehhehe!!! dapat gelaran Cikgu Zass pun tak per ......
Memang i selalu highlight pun kat dalam kelas. "Do our part! Do our part!" sampai dorg pun dah naik boring Miss Syida ni takde benda lain nak ckp,duk cakap pasal kucing aje hehehe