Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies

Dogs & Puppies General information and discussions on taking care of your canine buddy

Old 09-04-2011, 01:45 PM
Animal Lover

glenn is on a distinguished road
Default GSD, husky or Golden R. for terrace hse???

hi, nice meeting u all, i been a dog lover for a few years now (when i was staying wif my parents).. so, now im having a terrace house n can't decide which dog should i get.. i have a small family, 2 kids age9 and age7 and a wife....

i need my dog to be gentle wif my family members but looking nasty for strangers!! good temper n good guard dog!! n i also now tt t dog resembles t owner!! n how t owner trained her.... i used to have normal dogs without breed, n now im prepared to have a breed dog for my kids to learn to be responsible n take care of her with my guidance....

i would really appreciate if u dog lovers would advise me on my choice.....thanks in advance!!
Old 09-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Animal Lover

cathy93 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: GSD, husky or Golden R. for terrace hse???

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn View Post
hi, nice meeting u all, i been a dog lover for a few years now (when i was staying wif my parents).. so, now im having a terrace house n can't decide which dog should i get.. i have a small family, 2 kids age9 and age7 and a wife....

i need my dog to be gentle wif my family members but looking nasty for strangers!! good temper n good guard dog!! n i also now tt t dog resembles t owner!! n how t owner trained her.... i used to have normal dogs without breed, n now im prepared to have a breed dog for my kids to learn to be responsible n take care of her with my guidance....

i would really appreciate if u dog lovers would advise me on my choice.....thanks in advance!!

Definately Golden =) love golden
Old 09-04-2011, 07:52 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy93 View Post
Definately Golden =) love golden

thanks cathy for t recommendation!! btw, im still on t look up for dogs on sale for t above breeds....... hope to get 1 by Christmas!!
Old 09-04-2011, 08:00 PM
PetFinder Guru

Rayquaza17 is on a distinguished road

Personally for me, I don't think Golden will do good as a guard dog. But it will definitely be a good family dog and is easily trained as they are patience with children and loves companionship. Husky will do a good guard dog as well as GSD but both require good exercise and good training. Husky and GSD will do better at guarding house.They will also be a good family member. Children must be teach to not to frustrate them too much. Training them will be a little hard and need lots of patience but it will definitely be Rewarding :) Good Luck. Some adoption dog will also definitely be a good guard dog if you gave them the corrected training and all :)
Old 09-04-2011, 10:01 PM
Animal Lover

lohcl is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I have 3 kids and also one wife . My kids are 9,7 and 6.

We recently got ourselves a GR and a GSD. What is said about the GR is absolutely true. Lousy guard dog but excellent family dog. He can tolerate a lot of the kiddie stuff and extremely forgiving and tolerant. My daughters even make pretend he is a doll at times. He is 4.5 months and although he play bites, his bite is very soft and gentle.

For my GSD, he is 11 weeks. Good family dog but the kids are more careful when they play with him. Probably when he play bites, his teeth is sharper and they are more careful. When he is in a playful mood, he is so active that sometimes he accidentally bites and it can hurt.

Nonetheless, my kids love both of them and they love the kids. They really enjoy the dogs. We are glad for them both.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:09 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohcl View Post
I have 3 kids and also one wife . My kids are 9,7 and 6.

We recently got ourselves a GR and a GSD. What is said about the GR is absolutely true. Lousy guard dog but excellent family dog. He can tolerate a lot of the kiddie stuff and extremely forgiving and tolerant. My daughters even make pretend he is a doll at times. He is 4.5 months and although he play bites, his bite is very soft and gentle.

For my GSD, he is 11 weeks. Good family dog but the kids are more careful when they play with him. Probably when he play bites, his teeth is sharper and they are more careful. When he is in a playful mood, he is so active that sometimes he accidentally bites and it can hurt.

Nonetheless, my kids love both of them and they love the kids. They really enjoy the dogs. We are glad for them both.

hehe..like t 1 wife part!!
tts t thing, i would go for GSD, coz my kids r kinda ruff n playful, tts y i need them to learn to take care n walk t dog!!! kids nowadays r juz too spoiled n sit at home suffing t net n games n ect!! (my fault too for spoiling them)

but buying a proper gsd makes me worry as i been online t whole day juz reading this forum alone bout breeders n puppy mills!! i have to think again whr do i get a healthy gsd at an affordable price...some r 1200 n some goes up to 4k!! wow..wat a big diff!! juz wondering wats t diff btw those 2 which both claim pure breed!! really need advise on tt too!!
Old 09-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayquaza17 View Post
Personally for me, I don't think Golden will do good as a guard dog. But it will definitely be a good family dog and is easily trained as they are patience with children and loves companionship. Husky will do a good guard dog as well as GSD but both require good exercise and good training. Husky and GSD will do better at guarding house.They will also be a good family member. Children must be teach to not to frustrate them too much. Training them will be a little hard and need lots of patience but it will definitely be Rewarding :) Good Luck. Some adoption dog will also definitely be a good guard dog if you gave them the corrected training and all :)

thanks ray!!

im going wif GSD.... read some info on husky n i dun think im experience enuf to look after them!! n i my family will be sad too if t husky is not happy!! so, GSD is t better choice.... but now looking for 1 is a headache now, as not all r responsible breeders!! money talks!! looks like i have to go wif my six sense to choose..
Old 09-05-2011, 12:41 AM
Animal Lover

Furrenz.com is on a distinguished road

Why don't you choose to adopt one? I personally would prefer taking in an adult dog so I do not have to deal with the puppy stage problems and I would already know the dog's character as it is already developed.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:06 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Why don't you choose to adopt one? I personally would prefer taking in an adult dog so I do not have to deal with the puppy stage problems and I would already know the dog's character as it is already developed.
I don't really agree on taking adult dogs too fast for my opinion. I know is good to adopt one but seeing the puppy stages can make you see what is the puppy behavior like. The adults one probably have traumatic experience or either history that was unknown and may react aggressively if treated wrongly. Although some warmed up quickly, there is still some does not. When we choose the adult dogs, you wouldn't know the behavior that's why.

I also preferably choose to adopt one. But Glenn. If you do not really trust the internet, you can check out the newspaper. Newspaper also isn't that safe but it is sometimes worth a shot.Can try to negotiate it with them and see the dogs personally and view the puppy slowly before making a decision. It is never wise to make a fast decision. Is better to slowly watch the puppy reaction towards the other litter mate. Never get a too overprotective or shy one. Choose the most even one out of the litter. Squeeze out lots of information from the breeder and by the t=way they talk and answer you, You can possibly know whether he is really taking good care of his puppy a not. Adopting is also a very good choice as there are many voiceless and helpless out there. So think twice. I am just suggesting so anyone who read this please don't think this is an offense. Good Luck.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:47 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
I don't really agree on taking adult dogs too fast for my opinion. I know is good to adopt one but seeing the puppy stages can make you see what is the puppy behavior like. The adults one probably have traumatic experience or either history that was unknown and may react aggressively if treated wrongly. Although some warmed up quickly, there is still some does not. When we choose the adult dogs, you wouldn't know the behavior that's why.

I also preferably choose to adopt one. But Glenn. If you do not really trust the internet, you can check out the newspaper. Newspaper also isn't that safe but it is sometimes worth a shot.Can try to negotiate it with them and see the dogs personally and view the puppy slowly before making a decision. It is never wise to make a fast decision. Is better to slowly watch the puppy reaction towards the other litter mate. Never get a too overprotective or shy one. Choose the most even one out of the litter. Squeeze out lots of information from the breeder and by the t=way they talk and answer you, You can possibly know whether he is really taking good care of his puppy a not. Adopting is also a very good choice as there are many voiceless and helpless out there. So think twice. I am just suggesting so anyone who read this please don't think this is an offense. Good Luck.

thanks guys!!

im going wif ray coz im kind of big dog lover!! no offence to small dogs!! (coz im big size!!) so a small dog will kinda look weird wif me... i was thinking bout adopting a pup, but then im worried tt t pub will turn out to be small.... i had an experience long time ago, adopted a GSD look a like from SPCA Malacca (my 1st dog) it turns out to be a wise choice n really smart bugger!! but had a heart attract after 7 years!! my only complain is he was too small for me... each time i go out wif my friend for a walk a dog, i end up walking her dog n she walks my dog(Doberman) coz easier to handle!!

about GSD, im in a plantation!! kinda hard for me to view t pups... im available only during weekends!! so anyone of u guys knows a good friend or breeder tts selling GSD pups pls contact me... im really keen to get one!! prefer malacca/johor/N9.... but im really jealous of Penang dog lovers!! i see tt most breeders r in Penang, i jus wonder wats t reason??
Old 09-05-2011, 01:47 PM
Animal Lover

lohcl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furrenz.com View Post
Adoption is also a good option. It was something my wife and I did consider. House training a puppy is tiring. Taking them out to pee every 2 hours initially. Cleaning up the place when they pee and poo indiscriminately. It is tiring and can be frustrating at times.

As mentioned, my children are small and I know they love the experience of growing up with a puppy till adulthood. When we look at the pictures of Max (our GR) when we first bought him, all of us exclaim how small and extremely playful he was then. And it brings a smile to our faces.

For a GSD, we wanted him to grow with the kids. We were afraid that we get an adult dog, the part of the puppyhood is gone and somehow my kids will be afraid of him.

Having said that, we will seriously consider adopting if we want another dog in the future.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:48 PM
PetFinder Guru

That's great if you have make the decision :) . Other than that, I have nothing else to say anymore currently. :P Puppy stages are a handful as what lohcl has said but it is rewarding if you train them good enough. I can't help you much for finding a GSD though. My first own train pup is an adopted one :) She is very sweet and loving although naughty at times. :) Anyway, wish you luck at finding your GSD of your choice ^^
Old 09-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Glenn, one thing to be very careful about if you're going to be looking at GSD or GR is the problem of hip dysplasia. It's an inherited problem, especially common in these two breeds. Unfortunately, there are way too many backyard breeders who are concerned with money, not with the welfare of their dogs and pups.

A responsible breeder will not breed any bitch or dog before 2 years of age. At 2 years, the animal can be x-rayed to screen for the early signs of hip dysplasia. Only if the animal is then cleared should he or she be used for breeding.

There are PF members who are now learning the truth of this as they are now dealing with large dogs who are slowly becoming crippled.

My advice: don't buy from any breeder unless you a) visit his facilities and b) see proof (vet certificates) that he's screened his breeding adults for hip dysplasia.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Animal Lover

freewilly85 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Glenn, one thing to be very careful about if you're going to be looking at GSD or GR is the problem of hip dysplasia. It's an inherited problem, especially common in these two breeds. Unfortunately, there are way too many backyard breeders who are concerned with money, not with the welfare of their dogs and pups
True as there were too much inbreeding for GSD, as you can see from one of the replies, their price can soar to RM40k each.

The difference between a RM1.2K dog and a RM40K dog? RM1.2K is for moderate family to guard their family. RM40K is for those tycons/ datuks to guard their estates/ mansions. RM40k is professionally trained, can do a lot of things besides sit & paw (ie, lock on your neck on a single command). I have seen even more expensive dogs.

I had a HD siberian husky before, due to over-caging. He was already in that stage when I adopted him, was bony as well. It couldn't be cured, but could be made better. Let him exercise more, run more, walk more. It may seemed "hurting" to you, but it is actually helping his hips to get stronger. Unfortunately, the husky died few months later but I don't think is the HD that took his life.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:45 AM
Animal Lover

Furrenz.com is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I would beg to differ on adopting adult dogs. I have personally adopted adult dogs with no issues. And I have rehomed many adult dogs with no issues also. I currently have near 20 dogs for adoption, pedigrees n mixed breeds. If there is anyone who is interested in adopting a dog, do come and view them and gauge for yourself whether they are well behaved/traumatised/aggressive or unpredictable.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:01 AM
Animal lover

kenny is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Maneki Neko
Glenn, one thing to be very careful about if you're going to be looking at GSD or GR is the problem of hip dysplasia. It's an inherited problem, especially common in these two breeds. Unfortunately, there are way too many backyard breeders who are concerned with money, not with the welfare of their dogs and pups

Definately agree and should be thankful for this advice. U save a lot of hassle, problems and money. Be buying or adopting a dog is a life time commitment. Think carefully, read up on the breeds info. There alot where u can just search in the internet. There's nothing such as a perfect breed. Human tends to be greedy where u want both ( guard dog n kids friendly ). Have u ever thought of the gsd grow up faster than ur kids? What will happen to the gsd if ever the gsd bite ur kids accidentally? Whack him? Give him up for adoption? To me.. no rushing. Be knowledgeable b4 u own 1 so that u won't regret later. Can always watch the dog whisperer on national geographic channel (astro). Get ur kids to play with dogs more b4 u buy 1. Just my 2 cents.. Good luck
Old 09-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furrenz.com View Post
I would beg to differ on adopting adult dogs. I have personally adopted adult dogs with no issues. And I have rehomed many adult dogs with no issues also. I currently have near 20 dogs for adoption, pedigrees n mixed breeds. If there is anyone who is interested in adopting a dog, do come and view them and gauge for yourself whether they are well behaved/traumatised/aggressive or unpredictable.

wow...20 dogs to be adopted?? even pedigrees dog also previous owners juz chuck it!! pity this dogs!!
Old 09-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny View Post
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko

Definately agree and should be thankful for this advice. U save a lot of hassle, problems and money. Be buying or adopting a dog is a life time commitment. Think carefully, read up on the breeds info. There alot where u can just search in the internet. There's nothing such as a perfect breed. Human tends to be greedy where u want both ( guard dog n kids friendly ). Have u ever thought of the gsd grow up faster than ur kids? What will happen to the gsd if ever the gsd bite ur kids accidentally? Whack him? Give him up for adoption? To me.. no rushing. Be knowledgeable b4 u own 1 so that u won't regret later. Can always watch the dog whisperer on national geographic channel (astro). Get ur kids to play with dogs more b4 u buy 1. Just my 2 cents.. Good luck

thanks kenny!! i seldom hear tt GSD bite their owner or their family members, but i know this doesn't mean it will never happened...tts t reason im thinking of getting 1 at puppy stage so tt she can know who lives wif them n grow up together...im more confident in tt way....
Old 09-06-2011, 11:37 AM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewilly85 View Post
True as there were too much inbreeding for GSD, as you can see from one of the replies, their price can soar to RM40k each.

The difference between a RM1.2K dog and a RM40K dog? RM1.2K is for moderate family to guard their family. RM40K is for those tycons/ datuks to guard their estates/ mansions. RM40k is professionally trained, can do a lot of things besides sit & paw (ie, lock on your neck on a single command). I have seen even more expensive dogs.

I had a HD siberian husky before, due to over-caging. He was already in that stage when I adopted him, was bony as well. It couldn't be cured, but could be made better. Let him exercise more, run more, walk more. It may seemed "hurting" to you, but it is actually helping his hips to get stronger. Unfortunately, the husky died few months later but I don't think is the HD that took his life.

thanks for t explanation freewilly!! but so much for a dog?? they must be eating steak at home!! but i do wonder this special train dogs how they know when they change owners( from seller to buyer) coz im sure thr must be some difference in time table n caring... i seriously need to learn more here!! sorry to hear bout yr husky, y u said tt u dun think tt t HD took his life?? coz of sickness or poison??
Old 09-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Animal Lover

freewilly85 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
thanks for t explanation freewilly!! but so much for a dog?? they must be eating steak at home!! but i do wonder this special train dogs how they know when they change owners( from seller to buyer) coz im sure thr must be some difference in time table n caring... i seriously need to learn more here!! sorry to hear bout yr husky, y u said tt u dun think tt t HD took his life?? coz of sickness or poison??
This is the secret between the trainer & the owner (which I also don't know). They have their unique command for every dog.

Guessing is sickness. Didn't/ couldn't really bring him to a vet because that time we were in Cherating, malay fishing village, no vet. Even if we managed to bring him to a vet, I bet everyone would think we abused the dog to that stage, cause no one would believe we would actually adopt a dog with such serious condition. :)