Old 05-08-2010, 03:27 PM

Default Cat's teeth jittering. Kena kancing gigi?

Hey all.

I recently noticed that one of the stray cats that I have been feeding, jitters it's mouth/teeth when it's just sitting around.

This really reminds me of lockjaw (tetanus) or kancing gigi.

The area around his mouth used to be white but now it seems to be brownish and sticky-looking. So I'm assuming that he ate something sticky and maybe he felt his mouth is a bit uncomfortable.

He's a domestic medium long-hair cat with a very fluffy tail (for a stray) and his fur also seems to very unkempt these days so I'm also assuming that because of his mouth, he's not grooming himself.

Any ideas as what it could be or what could be causing it?

At the moment I can't bring him to the vet as I don't have transport..and I'm not exactly sure if it's a disease that is causing him to jitter his teeth - or is it just because the area around his mouth is dirty.

Note - The cat is not chattering, like how my own cat would stare outside and chatter like a bird. If you're not familiar with this you can further read it here: http://www.petplace.com/cats/why-do-...und/page1.aspx
Old 05-10-2010, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Cat's teeth jittering. Kena kancing gigi?

If you like, you could get a vet to go with you to take a look at the cat. My vet charges me RM60 to go with me to catch a stray cat for treatment. Check with your vet if they provide this service.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by a.lya View Post
Hey all.

I recently noticed that one of the stray cats that I have been feeding, jitters it's mouth/teeth when it's just sitting around.

This really reminds me of lockjaw (tetanus) or kancing gigi.

The area around his mouth used to be white but now it seems to be brownish and sticky-looking. So I'm assuming that he ate something sticky and maybe he felt his mouth is a bit uncomfortable.

He's a domestic medium long-hair cat with a very fluffy tail (for a stray) and his fur also seems to very unkempt these days so I'm also assuming that because of his mouth, he's not grooming himself.

Any ideas as what it could be or what could be causing it?

At the moment I can't bring him to the vet as I don't have transport..and I'm not exactly sure if it's a disease that is causing him to jitter his teeth - or is it just because the area around his mouth is dirty.

Note - The cat is not chattering, like how my own cat would stare outside and chatter like a bird. If you're not familiar with this you can further read it here: http://www.petplace.com/cats/why-do-...und/page1.aspx
Sian, a.lya, you mention his mouth area is dirty, is it wet or damp? Rasa the poor kitty is having sore gums/ulcers or ulcers in his mouth which is very painful (maybe that is why he is shaking his mouth). And it is wet because saliva is coming out of his mouth and he had difficulty swallowing it because his mouth hurts so much. And because of his painful mouth, he cannot groom himself well, and the excess saliva secreted on his fur when he does groom himself causes wet and and dirty patches (from his goey saliva) on his fur coat.

Tolong a.lya bawa dia to a good vet like Dr. Netto kat Klinik Haiwan kerajaan, PJ tu sebab setahu saya, dia memang pandai nengok benda-benda mcm tu, stengah vet tak pandai diagnose gingivitis dan cakap mcm-mcm, buka mulut pun pakai kuku hingga mulut kucing berdarah.

Ayoh, ya, sebab keadaan dia sungguh sakit dan takut nanti dia tak larat makan and will fall sick easily and die, kay?
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies

Last edited by FurKids; 05-10-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:45 AM

If you like, you could get a vet to go with you to take a look at the cat. My vet charges me RM60 to go with me to catch a stray cat for treatment. Check with your vet if they provide this service.
Hey. It's not necessary to catch the cat as he's always around my house and is approachable.

Thanks though.

Sian, a.lya, you mention his mouth area is dirty, is it wet or damp? Rasa the poor kitty is having sore gums/ulcers or ulcers in his mouth which is very painful (maybe that is why he is shaking his mouth). And it is wet because saliva is coming out of his mouth and he had difficulty swallowing it because his mouth hurts so much. And because of his painful mouth, he cannot groom himself well, and the excess saliva secreted on his fur when he does groom himself causes wet and and dirty patches (from his goey saliva) on his fur coat.

Tolong a.lya bawa dia to a good vet like Dr. Netto kat Klinik Haiwan kerajaan, PJ tu sebab setahu saya, dia memang pandai nengok benda-benda mcm tu, stengah vet tak pandai diagnose gingivitis dan cakap mcm-mcm, buka mulut pun pakai kuku hingga mulut kucing berdarah.

Ayoh, ya, sebab keadaan dia sungguh sakit dan takut nanti dia tak larat makan and will fall sick easily and die, kay?
I just cleaned the area around his mouth this morning. I didn't realize that he was drooling before this..

Where is the vet located exactly? I'll bring him asap.

Last edited by a.lya; 05-11-2010 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Typo