Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > Rescuers & Fosterers

Rescuers & Fosterers For rescuers and fosterers, the true heroes of PetFinder.my

Old 04-29-2009, 03:51 PM
PetFinder Guru

Location: Seri Kembangan, Selangor (Yeah, we got free water!)
sillylupie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Feeding strays/feral cats - FeralStat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurKids View Post
What is all the emo about? You are the one who started it by jumping on me and said, "I knew it will come to this discussion with FK around".

So I simply showed to you that I am not the only one voicing such concerns.

However, if you want to go ahead, do so ... but it will NOT be with any contribution on my side ... I have made that very clear.
I wonder who start with "You can get it locally.." then can't give me an address.

sillylupie-shop
http://sillylupie-shop.blogspot.com
Old 04-29-2009, 03:54 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillylupie View Post
Just a little question, "Did any of your cats asked to be neutered?" Every action there is a consequences, like when you neuter cats, you are taking part their emotions, feelings. Then again, it is for a greater good..
Even for greater good pun mesti lah terang benderang ada a good track record of proven results for the animals like ACC&D kata tu, Bina ...

Memang you did not ask to be sick and I sympathise that you are sick ... really, that is another reason why I do not want to possibly contribute to making a stray sick as their life is bad enough ... that is why many of us go to great length and trouble to give premium food which cost us a bomb to them so that they might have less health problems.

But we invest in a lot of time to befriend them in order to catch and neuter. And we also need to befriend them so that we can catch them and give them medical attention should any be ill.

Tapi, Bina, you do as you wish if you feel so strongly ... it is just that in the same vein, Abbymummy and I are simply stating our reservations and non-confidence in the product along the lines of ACC&D's concerns.

Peace be unto you ...
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 04-29-2009, 03:59 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
I wonder who start with "You can get it locally.." then can't give me an address.
Memang I have been offered before but I do not want to give out the contact because I do not want to help that person sell it or share out dia punya portion purchase so that dia dapat balik duit yg dia dah keluarkan. End of discussion.
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 04-29-2009, 04:13 PM
Call me Yuana or Yan ;)

euanna is on a distinguished road

Sounds too good to be true... but if it poses some kind of side effect / danger to cats.. I wouldn't give it to cats (stray of not).

Look at it this way, would you give your children medicine that has long term side effects? Esp life-threatening side effects? Would you give them something that is still under testing, that has some reasonable doubts? I won't.

My bf pointed it out to me.. might as well euthanize the cats than giving them this thing. Sounds harsh but it's the same end result.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:32 PM
PetFinder Guru

Euanna, I respect your concern.

Everyone has their views or ideas on issues, and I'd say no one is right or wrong.

However to compare euthanize and FeralStat, that's a bit harsh. Both serves different purposes.

Keep an open mind, do research, it helps.

sillylupie-shop
Old 04-29-2009, 04:41 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Memang I have been offered before but I do not want to give out the contact because I do not want to help that person sell it or share out dia punya portion purchase so that dia dapat balik duit yg dia dah keluarkan. End of discussion.
FYI, no money involved between me and FeralStat. It is not business to me. If someone is selling FeralStat without prescription, it is more of a reason to give the contact to forward to FeralStat. Then again, I really doubt you have it.
When I first spoke to FeralStat, they have never heard of Malaysia. I described Malaysia as a country full of cat lovers. :)

You and abbymummy has rights to your opinions. I respect that. Abbymummy has been great in giving me advices before.

sillylupie-shop
Old 04-29-2009, 04:43 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

Just off-topic for a sec.....

eunna, to address that question of yours which I highlighted.....yes, I would feed my children, or my mum or myself, medicine that has long term side effects, even those still under testing, even if there's a high risk, IF the person has such an illness that nothing can save him or her, or that person has such low quality life and there is a small chance the person might be saved or have a better quality life if he or she were to take this medicine.

but, we are not talking about this, right? so.....coming back to topic, about what bina raised here....I'm still reading up and doing my own research on next window.

Meanwhile, these are all opinions, there is no right or wrong to it, so let's not judge Bina, ok? She knows the consequences, and she may not even use it.

If there's anyone who is a responsible person, Bina is, so please, people, give her credit for using her brain and responsibility wisely. This is just a discussion, remember, so no judgements or harsh words or belittling of anyone here, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euanna View Post
Sounds too good to be true... but if it poses some kind of side effect / danger to cats.. I wouldn't give it to cats (stray of not).

Look at it this way, would you give your children medicine that has long term side effects? Esp life-threatening side effects? Would you give them something that is still under testing, that has some reasonable doubts? I won't.

My bf pointed it out to me.. might as well euthanize the cats than giving them this thing. Sounds harsh but it's the same end result.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:47 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
FYI, no money involved between me and FeralStat. It is not business to me. If someone is selling FeralStat without prescription, it is more of a reason to give the contact to forward to FeralStat. Then again, I really doubt you have it.
When I first spoke to FeralStat, they have never heard of Malaysia. I described Malaysia as a country full of cat lovers. :)

You and abbymummy has rights to your opinions. I respect that. Abbymummy has been great in giving me advices before.
Suker you la, Bina nak buat apa yg you ingat nak fikir atau buat. But the more I surf on FeralStat the more I read about how they hide information. Buat la apa you suker, Bina ... up to you la ...
Old 04-29-2009, 04:52 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Suker you la, Bina nak buat apa yg you ingat nak fikir atau buat. But the more I surf on FeralStat the more I read about how they hide information. Buat la apa you suker, Bina ... up to you la ...
Address? No address? You can PM me? I can forward to FeralStat and stop them from selling to that person who is obviously trying to make some bucks?

At this point of argument when someone says "suker you la.." very likely a distraction from the "address" request ... do you really have it?

sillylupie-shop
Old 04-29-2009, 05:02 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Bye, Bina ...
Old 04-29-2009, 05:21 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Bye, Bina ...
Bye FK - I guess there really is NO ADDRESS of that someone selling FeralStat here..

sillylupie-shop
Old 04-29-2009, 05:41 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Looks like FeralStat interacts with quite a few drugs, so make sure these drugs are not present in other drugs that are been fed to the cats.

(words in blue are mine)

Drug Interaction:
.: carbamazepine - a synthetic drug used for treating convulsions
.: corticosteroids (i.e., prednisone) - a synthetic drug used to treat brain tumor and skin diseases
.: dofetilide - a drug used to treat sinus
.: fosphenytoin - a drug used to treat epilepsy
.: medicines used to treat diabetes
.: indinavir
.: phenobarbital
.: phenytoin
.: primidone
.: rifampin
.: rifabutin
.: rifapentine
.: warfarin

Hmmm.....interesting. I wonder why they list down drugs that are used by humans and not cats? Why on earth would anyone feed these human drugs to cats, and so, stand a chance for FeralStat to interact with, perhaps undesirably???

Bina, did that doc tell you what are the components used in formulating FeralStat? You might want to ask him that, as they do have to declare what components are being used, and how much.....just like our human drugs that list down the components.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:58 PM
Call me Yuana or Yan ;)

euanna is on a distinguished road

My answer to you charlene.. *yawn*

*Ponders* ... meh.. too lazy to answer
Old 04-29-2009, 06:54 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post
Looks like FeralStat interacts with quite a few drugs, so make sure these drugs are not present in other drugs that are been fed to the cats.

(words in blue are mine)

Drug Interaction:
.: corticosteroids (i.e., prednisone) - a synthetic drug used to treat brain tumor and skin diseases

Hmmm.....interesting. I wonder why they list down drugs that are used by humans and not cats? Why on earth would anyone feed these human drugs to cats, and so, stand a chance for FeralStat to interact with, perhaps undesirably???

Bina, did that doc tell you what are the components used in formulating FeralStat? You might want to ask him that, as they do have to declare what components are being used, and how much.....just like our human drugs that list down the components.
The only drug I recognise is corticosteriod, prednisolone. It prescribed for use in cats with feline asthma. :)
Warfarin is used for, I think some thrombotic conditions in cats & dogs.
I believe many human meds are being used to treat animals too.

It is a "synthetic progestin" from what I understand. If he were to explain more I guess I will be lost.

No drug is without side-effects, that's for sure. I have in my brains the list of side effects of prednisolone, but still, it is a mighty saviour.

Blackie thanks for checking it out.

sillylupie-shop
Old 04-29-2009, 11:59 PM
Petfinder Moderator

progestin? that would be contraceptive pills for humans. hmm....so, basically, what FeralStat seems to be doing is to give the feral cats contraceptive pills that we humans are taking. there are side-effects, but without it, we humans will be multiplying like rabbits....

yeah, you should know first-hand the side-effects of prednisolone....

you're right all drugs have side-effects. even the common high blood pressure pills. besides the known kidney and liver failure, there is tinnitus, and the list goes on, if one bothers to ask the doctor what the long term side-effects of taking high blood pressure pills are. but, then, if you don't take, you might suffer from stroke.

so....which is the bigger evil? i'm seriously pondering this, as 2 of my relatives were diagnosed and died from prolonged intake of high blood pressure pills, and a few more are recently diagnosed with the same side effects, but, if you're to stop taking them, you might suffer a stroke, as my hubby nearly did, had a semi-stroke, but ok now, thanks to his great doctor.

anyway, sorry, i went off-topic again....my sincere apologies.

back to topic.....I didn't know corticosteriod is also used to treat feline asthma. hmmm....

Quote:
The only drug I recognise is corticosteriod, prednisolone. It prescribed for use in cats with feline asthma. :)
Warfarin is used for, I think some thrombotic conditions in cats & dogs.
I believe many human meds are being used to treat animals too.

It is a "synthetic progestin" from what I understand. If he were to explain more I guess I will be lost.

No drug is without side-effects, that's for sure. I have in my brains the list of side effects of prednisolone, but still, it is a mighty saviour.

Blackie thanks for checking it out.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:47 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Blackie, that list is indeed puzzling, especially when you're talking about a community of feral cats. As you pointed out, it's unlikely anyone will be giving, for example, sinus medication to these animals.

I can't imagine a stray cat consuming any of the listed drugs, with the possible exception of warfarin, the last drug on the list. Warfarin is rat poison. If a stray cat has consumed that, side-effects with FeralStat will be the least of its problems!

When we talk about potential side effects of FeralStat, shouldn't we also consider the potential hazards of life as a feral cat? Being flattened by cars, starved, afflicted by diseases and parasites, abused by unloving humans, etc.? Although I have not done my share of research on this product, it sounds like something worth investigating. I know this sounds terribly hard-hearted, but if it causes some side-effects in some feral cats but prevents them from giving birth to more litters who will suffer the same fate, isn't the end result still better than letting them breed unchecked?

These are excruciating questions, and I don't think there is one easy, universal answer. It sounds like Bina has been caring for a community of feral cats for some time, and she knows that she'll have terrible difficulty catching them for TNR. She obviously cares deeply and is doing her own research. Many other people would simply ignore or kill the cats. If Bina finally decides that the potential benefits of FeralStat outweigh the potential risks to her feral cats, I would have to give her my vote of support. Doing something, unless it's intentionally malicious, is better than doing nothing.

Quote:

Drug Interaction:
Old 04-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Wow! I didn't know that warfarin is rat poison, but yes, you're right; I did a quick check and confirmed that it was initially marketed as pesticide against rats and mice!!!!

You see, warfarin was prescribed for my hubby when he had a semi-stroke (numbed on one side of his body) after he stopped taking his hypertension pills as he didn't like the idea of having kidney and liver failure as a side-effect when he turns 60 or 70, like his father and my grandfather. (they had both taken hypertension medication for more than 30 years, and their liver and kidney had gradually failed as a result of it.)

warfarin is marketed today as anticoagulant, and it really worked in thinning my hubby's blood and helping him recover. but of course, warfarin was not the only drug the doc prescribed. he had like something like 8 different drugs to take 3 times a day.

but it's a drug that interacts with a lot of other drugs and some food, too, so if you're on warfarin, and is hospitalised for some reason, you have to make sure the doctor attending to you knows you're on warfarin.

anyway, coming back to topic, it's really puzzling, the list, I mean, and i shall be doing more research and study on it. hehe, my new project now....maybe i'll write a paper on it by the time i finish studying feralstat.

bina, if possible, try to get the list of chemicals used to formulate feralstat. if i don't understand it, i'll forward it to a friend in santa barbara, california. he's on the US oncologists team that is constantly studying what causes cancer and coming up with tests and cures for them. he might be able to help me shed some light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Blackie, that list is indeed puzzling, especially when you're talking about a community of feral cats. As you pointed out, it's unlikely anyone will be giving, for example, sinus medication to these animals.

I can't imagine a stray cat consuming any of the listed drugs, with the possible exception of warfarin, the last drug on the list. Warfarin is rat poison. If a stray cat has consumed that, side-effects with FeralStat will be the least of its problems!

When we talk about potential side effects of FeralStat, shouldn't we also consider the potential hazards of life as a feral cat? Being flattened by cars, starved, afflicted by diseases and parasites, abused by unloving humans, etc.? Although I have not done my share of research on this product, it sounds like something worth investigating. I know this sounds terribly hard-hearted, but if it causes some side-effects in some feral cats but prevents them from giving birth to more litters who will suffer the same fate, isn't the end result still better than letting them breed unchecked?

These are excruciating questions, and I don't think there is one easy, universal answer. It sounds like Bina has been caring for a community of feral cats for some time, and she knows that she'll have terrible difficulty catching them for TNR. She obviously cares deeply and is doing her own research. Many other people would simply ignore or kill the cats. If Bina finally decides that the potential benefits of FeralStat outweigh the potential risks to her feral cats, I would have to give her my vote of support. Doing something, unless it's intentionally malicious, is better than doing nothing.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:19 PM
Petfinder Moderator

hmmm.....the more I study this list of drug interaction, the more puzzled i am. it's almost like as if feralstat was initially meant to be marketed to humans, but later, the doc changed his mind. indinavir is another good example --- it's a drug used for treating HIV and AIDS.

aww, wish i'm back in college and could have a brain-storming session with friends. this is interesting to study.

(words in blue below are mine, in layman terms)

Drug Interaction:
Updated:
.: indinavir - a drug used for treating HIV and AIDS
.: phenobarbital - another drug for treating convulsions
.: phenytoin - another drug for treating epilepsy
.: primidone - another anticonvulsant drug
.: rifampin - this I do not know
.: rifabutin - antibiotic for treating TB
.: rifapentine - another antibiotic for treating TB
.: warfarin - anticoagulant for thinning blood, or, rat poison

hmmm.....let me go read up more.....wish I knew the chemicals that goes into feralstat.....easier to work that way instead of backwards like what I'm doing now....finding which drugs interact with those above, and eliminating them one by one.

I am sure I'm missing something important by maybe focusing on the wrong thing here......
Old 04-30-2009, 06:31 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Now it's my turn to say Wow! I had no idea that warfarin was used for medicinal purposes! I can tell you, it never improved the health of the rats in our barn when I was a kid. I'm glad it helped your husband, though -- I guess it proves conclusively that he's not a rat.

I don't think you're going down the wrong trail by examining all these potential drug interactions, but the question is whether Bina's feral cats are getting any other medications. If the key ingredient in FeralStat is progestin, and if the cats are on no other drugs, the question is the effect of the progestin on the cats. We know some women react poorly to it, but that's hardly any indicator of how it will affect cats.

P.S. I love Blackie's new portraits. He just keeps looking more suave all the time!

Quote:
Wow! I didn't know that warfarin is rat poison, but yes, you're right; I did a quick check and confirmed that it was initially marketed as pesticide against rats and mice!!!!

You see, warfarin was prescribed for my hubby when he had a semi-stroke (numbed on one side of his body) after he stopped taking his hypertension pills as he didn't like the idea of having kidney and liver failure as a side-effect when he turns 60 or 70, like his father and my grandfather. (they had both taken hypertension medication for more than 30 years, and their liver and kidney had gradually failed as a result of it.)

warfarin is marketed today as anticoagulant, and it really worked in thinning my hubby's blood and helping him recover. but of course, warfarin was not the only drug the doc prescribed. he had like something like 8 different drugs to take 3 times a day.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:55 PM
PetFinder Guru

Off topic a bit ...

I didn't know warfarin is a rat poison! My dad takes it too for heart, I think? Or is it blood pressure?

I know prednisolone is used to treat feline asthma as I, once upon a time, thinks that Parsley has it .. :) Now, I just thinks he is weird. Jumps around like a Banshee .. except that he is a he and less vocal.

Blackie, I am glad that your hubby has the right doctor to treat him. My mom suffered a major stroke after going through an angiogram recommended by the specialist, they sent her in eventhough her blood pressure was not stable. It cost my mom her "freedom" of speech and action. Mind you, this is not a public hospital, it is a private specialist center.

I too had my fair share of "horror" experiences with private practice that treats me like a "milking cow", they can't milk me now, I am unemployed! hahahaha!

Okay, okay, back to the topic.

Thanks to Maneki Neko for her kind words. She has written down on my feelings better that I could ever do myself!

When you look at how "bad" one thing is, don't forget to look for how "good" it can be, otherwise your opinions will always be skewed. I always try to find a balance. I know of many kind hearted souls out there who feeds strays, like my Indonesian neighbour, they don't believe in neutering, can I force them?

Why TNR itself will not work? (That's why I have always said, FeralStat is to complement! not replace!)

First, how many vets or NGOs that you know do TNR for free in Malaysia? It cost money, right? Not all kind-hearted souls out there has the resources, me for once, I can only try to capture one at a time and send them to the vet. How about the rest of the kitties? They continue to multiply. I have seen at least 2 female cats still nursing their youngs here and I can't just pick and send them for neutering!

Secondly, there are still people who don't believe in neutering! Don't even want to mention the "R" issue, it is extremely sensitive.

Lastly, I am not saying that this is the "best" solution. I am only asking those interest to do more research, readings or even contact FeralStat themselves and understand more.

Many would have seen the disagreement between me and FK. I was upset because he "broadcast" that FeralStat is available locally, and was not able to provide a contact when I requested it, giving reasons like "sins" to the cats if he gives it to me. I didn't even say I'll buy it, just interested to find this "somebody" who he claims is trying to make some bucks! If this it is really the case, he should have more reason to send the contact to me and let FeralStat investigate! It is only available by prescription and I have to talk to Dr. Catralbiano before he would even give it to me!

And of course, I haven't even touched on the "copy and paste" he did.

Well, everyone has a right to express himself, no one is right or wrong.

Thanks all for reading!

sillylupie-shop