Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Reviews, Notices & Stories > Hall of Shame

Hall of Shame There are lots of cruel and inconsiderate people out there. Expose their cruel deeds to the world and let them be shamed!

Old 02-13-2009, 08:13 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation
Default Re: DBKL Animal Cruelty

Catmother,
About require the cash donation from public, the organizations or society need have registered as public society with a letter. If no, might hard to get people donate cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatMother View Post
To ease everyone's burden, I'd gladly paste in here what you can do to support. This extracted from the webpage itself:

Dear Peeps,

my human friends are concerned about some of the young dogs and puppies at the DBKL pound and want to remove them from there. However, Auntie Dr Kavitha and Auntie Dr Gowri's place is jam packed. So we are in desperate need of fosterers who would take these dogs in for a period of three weeks to a month pending our gigantic adoption drive set to be held early March. If you can't foster these dogs, you could sponsor their board at veterinary clinics. Auntie Tracy has started the ball rolling by pledging RM300 to support two puppies. We are also in dire need of funds to spay, neuter, vaccinate and deworm these dogs pending adoption. Some of these dogs are also in need of medical care.

So, please kind people - plesae help me help my brothers and sisters.

Those who want to donate could do so by -

Cheques in favour of:

Animal Health Center @ Ara,
c/o No 48, Jalan Jeriji U8/75C, Bukit Jelutong, 40150, Shah Alam, Selangor.

Or bank into:

Animal Health Center @ Ara,
Maybank Account: 512352602980

If you have banked in your contribution please call 019-3576477.For further details please call 019-3576477 as well.

Whine, whine,

Sharmini Popiko Sasha (SPS)

Please note that you may contact SPS directly. God bless!

Oh by the way, happy Valentine's Day everyone! Muaxxx

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:23 AM
Banned

khengteik is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to khengteik

Yo Jeff.. i cant seem to notice but you do sound like a lawyer....

i do agree on what you have posted in this forum as in to get clips of the alleged inhuman acts....

the thing that i do not understand is y no one is doing that.... SPCA should be playing the main role to get all these evidence....but have they been doing that??? from what i gather, SPCA only sends out their investigators if there is a report.... my argument is why SPCA does not have the initiative to do all these work?? y wait for public to complain then only investigate?
Old 02-14-2009, 02:53 AM
Animal Lover

tanuki is on a distinguished road

khengteik: On the 360 program (shown on 11th Feb), Christine Chin (chairperson or something) stressed "WE HAVE NO POWER"(the gist of it). I agree they don't have the power. But even if SPCA doesn't have the power, I don't see them out there giving talks on how to take care of pets or build awareness. All i hear is their charity drives (like collecting stuff to be sold), their jumbo sales and always saying "please come and adopt a pet". My point is SPCA = want money. They are not a poor organization & they have tax-exemption status. They used have HSBC as a sponsor.
I don't see them being on our side at the DBKL Protest. Their office is right inside the pound, right where hundreds of dogs (possibly) were dragged or drowned or strangled or beaten to death. They were sitting in their nice air-conditioned room, in their nice comfortable chair doing who knows what while listening to the screams of cats and dogs being murdered.
Everyone thinks SPCA is doing a good job. Every time i heard HITZ fm saying call SPCA, I choke. What a joke. They are ruining the name.

dogismybuddy: I suggest a way is to keep a copy of the receipt and give a copy to both the vet and malaysiandogsdeservebetter? Or pay for a dog or pup's bill personally?
Old 02-14-2009, 08:26 AM
User Account Terminated

Jeffrey Read is an unknown quantity at this point

khengteik,
It is with deepest regret to inform that I am not a lawyer. What I have come to learn all these years of my life, if you really want to improve anything at all, you really have to understand the law and anything else is just for show.

You see, "Society thinks they work on the concept of morality but in fact it doesn't, it is based on the laws of the land at that point in time." That is how Great Britain & America developed itself until what it is today. A country can never advance even an inch without laws that are meant to different right from wrong, to protect and defend the weak.

Good question, why isn't there anyone doing anything? For that we have to learn, what is stated in the Act. I recall the producer of 360 saying that there is some Act for animals etc. I have not read the Act itself or know of its existence but my hunch is that it's going to be pretty lame.

Remember the bribery issues that was printed in the daillies sometime ago. "Action couldn't be taken against brothers, sisters, cousins, in-laws etc as it was not stated in the law or something like that.." Does that statement makes any sense? A crime has been committed but because its simply not indicated in the law; just be defination; so nothing could be done!

Which goon wrote that law and how such things gets passed in Parliament [presumed to be the brains of the nation] really makes me wonder! Or our powers to be too busy with opening ceremonies to bother about work or even have time to really work. I do not see other ministers in foreign land busy with launching or opening ceremonies. Perhaps it indicated in the job description!

Maybe once someone has managed to secure & understand the act in question, then we will understand the true story behind all these issues. Any guesses on morality or about SPCA like where has the money gone, now is pure ignorant rubbish. For example, would you think I am qualified to make a statement about yourself when I know absolutely nothing about yourself? Wouldn't it be my responsibility for me to find out "correctly" about yourself before at least before even coming to a conclusion?

There HAS to be accounts to be verified against! If there isn't, then SPCA in my personal opinion should cease to exist immediately irregardless whatever the circumstances maybe. It has nothing to do if its registered or otherwise, or if it has a letterhead. What matters is what is done with the funds collected and that should be indicated in its accounts & that is accountability. If the British chap I know, has accounts for the dead, at least there should be accounts for the living; otherwise we will be better off dead, wouldn't you agree?

Last edited by Jeffrey Read; 02-14-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Banned

khengteik is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to khengteik

tanuki
The reason which i'm so angry about SPCA is because like u said... they have not done anything to show that they are a society that prevents cruelty towards animals... yes i know they need the funding.... but they would not need so much of funding if they are doing more work on awareness instead of doing the work of PAWS and all those other animal rescue organization...

Jeff
You are absolutely correct on that.... Although i do not really know anything about laws... i do know that as long as you use logic to do a reasoning, nothing can go wrong... If we reason something using logic... it will always be at least 90% true....

So... Logically, the meaning of SPCA is it is a society that prevents animal cruelty... and in my humble opinion, there are alot of means and methods to do so:
1. awareness campaign..
2. awareness of neutering..
3. Investigate and get as much evidence as possible regarding the report (by using video, audio, statements from witness, etc etc..)
4. exposing all these culprits.... (by sending them to mass media etc)

too much has been said about SPCA not having power to do this and to do that.... but the fact is, its all full of dog poop... the thing is do they have the initiative to do it or not.

If we are talking in the case of Law, SPCA should be the one fighting for the law to be changed or whatever it is.... y do i say so? Logically.... its because they are SPCA... like you say, if they are not doing that, then its no difference if we have SPCA in Malaysia or not.... in my opinion, its better if we dont have SPCA... cos all the funding to SPCA could be channeled to other organizations...
Old 02-15-2009, 09:57 AM
User Account Terminated

khengteik,
Logical reasoning doesn't always work in this land, otherwise why are the people still suffering unnecessarily in these times when so many issues could have been easily overcomed!

Look at today's STAR 15 Feb 09 headlines, "Hillside projects to go on...." and try to figure out what is wrong. This sounds illogical but can we imply that the Works Minister is illogical based on what was reported? Or is there something else?

Until someone gets the SPCA accounts, its more relevant to discuss about SPCA then, otherwise its going to be fruitlessly futile. Beside awaiting for a reply from the authorities on 21 Feb 09, animal activists should also interview SPCA in a professional manner and try to find for more skeletons in the closet. At the moment, everything seems to be based on speculation at best.

Last edited by Jeffrey Read; 02-15-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:20 AM
Animal Rescuer

t.ruth is on a distinguished road

Hi Tanuki

let me tell u why spca is keeping a low profile. The person sitting in klinik kembiri had told me before that they dare not offend dbkl for fear that they may terminate klinik kembiri operation at their premises. anyway, this person will always defend the cruel bastards of dbkl. know what? he doesn't blame the boys but he blames the officers of dbkl. he told me 'cos i saw the cruel bastards dragging a poor dog on the tar road. i was cursing and swearing at them and the spca person asked me what can he do. he said that it's happening everyday.

anyway, he will always side dbkl (he's afraid he'll lose his job). when i called him on friday and asked him about the protest on saturday, u won't believe it when he told me that he had no idea abt it and when questioned about the clip, he said it was not dbkl, it was a clip on china but people thought it was dbkl because the clips were shown one after the other.

so, there u are. spca - a society supposed to speak for the animals turning a deaf ear to the cries of the suffering animals under its nose 'cos of fear. maybe it's not a bad idea closing down klinik kembiri and letting another animal welfare society open one elsewhere.

btw, u said that hsbc used to be a sponsor of spca. are they still one? plse let me know. thanks.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:49 AM
Fast & Furry

CatMother is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog is my buddy View Post
Catmother,
About require the cash donation from public, the organizations or society need have registered as public society with a letter. If no, might hard to get people donate cash.
yeah, i do agree with you too. the least we can do is to adopt some of the dogs. otherwise, like myself, all i can do is to spread the words around

::the 3d clanz::
Everything happens for a reason
Old 02-16-2009, 10:57 AM
User Account Terminated

t.ruth,
You wrote, "he doesn't blame the boys but ...". Who are the boys that he was referring to?

What are you planning to do, if HSBC or any other organization for that matter, continued to sponsor SPCA?

CatMother,
Everything has a saturation point and that includes animal rescuers. Let me tell you solemnly even though every household in this land becomes animal rescuer centre, it will never solve the problem with stray animals especially when the problem seems to grow exponentially.

The question that begs to be answered is are we really doing the correct thing in the long run for the benefit of pet ownership? While it feels good to champion the rights of animals by being an animal rescuer but to what end? After that, spread the word around and continue to spread & spread until it spreads no more?

There are too many organizations being setup but nothing has been done effectively and efficiently to really combat the issues at hand. Reminds me of the government when handling issues. Simply set-up task force and commission and if the problem persists setup another task force and commssion etc. Seems there is no end, huh! Yes, you can add that everything happens for a reason but in this case, what do you think is the reason?

Last edited by Jeffrey Read; 02-16-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:31 AM
Animal Rescuer

t.ruth is on a distinguished road

Jeffrey Read

'the boys' were the dog catchers. as to the other question, just curious 'cos of what tanuki said.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Animal Lover

t. ruth: I checked their website recently and they have a corporate sponsors section and the amount a corporate needs to donate in order to get a specific status. HSBC is not on it now. From a source, SPCA didn't know about the DBKL Protest nor did they know DBKL workers' abuse. And most of the board members doesn't work full time at SPCA.

I agree that we have too many organizations. The problem is uniting everyone under one umbrella. Easier said that done. It sounds like another political environment. For now, we must do what we can.

On other note, puppies are being rescued from the DBKL Pound today. For those who are interested to foster / adopt / donate, please call 012-653-6175.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:03 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation

Hi tanuki,
Would you or someone take those dogs picture attach at Petfinder.my Pets For Adoption section, it more expose to public attention for adoption. It might help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanuki View Post
t. ruth: I checked their website recently and they have a corporate sponsors section and the amount a corporate needs to donate in order to get a specific status. HSBC is not on it now. From a source, SPCA didn't know about the DBKL Protest nor did they know DBKL workers' abuse. And most of the board members doesn't work full time at SPCA.

I agree that we have too many organizations. The problem is uniting everyone under one umbrella. Easier said that done. It sounds like another political environment. For now, we must do what we can.

On other note, puppies are being rescued from the DBKL Pound today. For those who are interested to foster / adopt / donate, please call 012-653-6175.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:45 PM
PetFinder Guru

melmel is on a distinguished road

SPCA Meets with DBKL @ 12 Feb

Face -to-Face with DBKL In light of the recent controversy surrounding DBKL, the SPCA Chairperson called for a meeting to discuss serious allegations that DBKL are strangling stray dogs and drowning cats.

The meeting was attended by Dr Hamdan bin Ahmad( Head of Animal Welfare Dept, DVS), Christine Chin, Dr Lim, Dr Suhanna, Dr Goh, Mr Krishnan, Dr Zaidi (DBKL), and Mr Chandrakahn (DBKL Pound Manager).

SPCA highlighted that this is a new era of responsibility, accountability, reality, transparency and humanity. There is nowhere to hide for animal abusers. DBKL vehemently denied the allegations and are ameniable to compliance of the DVS Guidelines for stray animal control (May 2008).

SPCA has investigated the earlier allegation in Nov 08, and also alerted DVS who contacted DBKL to get their story - there was no hard evidence of strangulation or drowning. SPCA said SPCA Klinik Kembiri @ DBKL will close in protest if the allegations prove to be true.

Copies of the Guidelines were distributed to all present at the meeting. In compliance to the guidelines that prioritized animal welfare, DBKL has agreed to;
a. get a qualified Vet to do the euthanasia of the dogs and cats once a week
b. anaesthetize aggressive and nervous dogs before putting down so as to reduce the stress inflicted on the dogs. This will incur higher costs.
c. create humane conditions for euthanizing animals e.g. a separate room
d. Attempt to rehome dogs, after being spayed or neutered by SPCA KK.
e. mandatory microchipping
f. differential licensing for neutered and unneutered dogs

The root causes of strays are irresponsible owners who allow their un-neutered dogs to roam or abandon their un-neutered dogs, and they need to be addressed and penalized via effective and sensible legislation. We also highlighted an FBI fact that animal abusers are 5 times more likely to abuse children, women and be a menace to society - so cruelty to animals hardly ends there.

Hell Holes created by MPKlang, MPKajang and MPAmpang Jaya

Recent investigations into stray dog control measures by local municipals highlighted the hell holes that stray dogs impounded are thrown into. These Municipals do not even have pounds.

MPKlang operates an inhumane and detestable "pound". MPKlang has promised over the years that they will build a new pound and stop using wires to catch stray and owners' dogs. Through the years, SPCA's letters and calls to action to MP Klang have fallen on deaf ears. MPKlang keeps the stray dogs in a truck. To SPCA's knowledge there is no food and water provided. The wires cut into the throats and bodies of dogs and puppies causing immense pain and a slow and extremely painful death. This cruelty is against the law and directly violate Section 44 Animals Act 1953 (revised 2006) - yet no changes and charges are made.

MPKajang is also another Municipal that contributes directly to the cruelty of stray and owned dogs. Stray and owners' dogs are kept in this truck. Again, we are not aware that food and water are provided. The truck is kept hidden from public view and there is no way an owner can retrieve his dog.

MPAJ also has no pound and relies on their dog-catching contractor, Vet-Fine S/B, to catch and destroy stray and owners' dogs. The dogs are kept in vans, for days without food and water. Vet-Fine S/B are implicated in many atrocities involving the capture and inhumane killing of stray and owners' dogs. SPCA has reported Vet-Fine's alleged cruelty to DVS and VAM but no action has been taken. SPCA has been verbally abused and threatened by Vet-Fine dog catchers in this process of gathering information.

Next week we will highlight other pounds, as well as contact details for each pound that you can write e-mails and letters to and voice your concerns!

SPCA Assists DVS Labuan

SPCA KK team visited Labuan in Jan 09 upon request by DVS Labuan to assist in training the staff at DVS clinic in medication, treatment and clinical protocols. Dr Suhanna and Dr Goh complimented on the staff's interest and dedication to learning their scope of work better. The vets offered treatment and surgery for pets for one day, which was well received by Labuan residents! The KK vets also advised on better surgical procedures for spaying and neutering. We hope DVS Labuan will be able to extend a wider range of vet services to the Labuan residents in the near future.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Pet Epicurean

aliciahorsley is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Read View Post
[
The question that begs to be answered is are we really doing the correct thing in the long run for the benefit of pet ownership? While it feels good to champion the rights of animals by being an animal rescuer but to what end? After that, spread the word around and continue to spread & spread until it spreads no more?

There are too many organizations being setup but nothing has been done effectively and efficiently to really combat the issues at hand. Reminds me of the government when handling issues. Simply set-up task force and commission and if the problem persists setup another task force and commssion etc. Seems there is no end, huh! Yes, you can add that everything happens for a reason but in this case, what do you think is the reason?
here's my two step plan.
1. a very simple (but obviously not perfect) solution is to impose a rm500 per annum licensing fee for unneutered animals over 9 months of age. the number of strays will fall as most stray/homeless animals are actually feral pets and/or result from unneutered pets roaming and breeding with stray population.
2. also, remove the restriction on the number of pets a household can keep provided the pets are neutered. most people are willing to take on a couple more animals but fear council action. i know this as fact.

in five years, you will see a drastic fall in the number of strays and in twenty years, pet animals will be cherished and valued because they are scarce.

granted this approach can be difficult to implement and open to abuse/evasion, but it has to start somewhere. and hell, if we can put a (barely intelligent) human in space, we should be able to manage this.
Our pets eat PINK raw food
Old 02-16-2009, 05:21 PM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road

agree with alicia
Old 02-16-2009, 05:32 PM
User Account Terminated

I am surprised that every corner, there lurks even a bigger problem that's needs to be resolved. Lets just stick to DBKL and SPCA and make a case study out of it. If more local authorities are added, its very easy to lose focus. Not to mention, although I had clearly implied with all the relevant benefit of doubt provided, that there was no evidence found on 360 against DBKL even if 360 was produced in the court of law, this will be dismissed surely. So adding more parties into the foray, will not help at all.

melmel,
Are you with SPCA? Can you get SPCA accounts online for all to see? I truly respect your dexterity in digging up information. ;-)

aliciahorsly,
The suggestions placed forward does have merit on its own ground.

However, am sure hardcore animal rescuers will be hopping mad with that quantum. Imagine the average number of rescued animal an animal rescuer has & mutiply with RM500 under the existing economic crisis. I forsee, the immediate impact is more pets will be dumped into the streets and more strays will captured and culled. Perhaps everyone has to swallow a bitterpill.

By then most impounded animals can never be rescued from the pound or even online as the adoption fee will have risen to like RM700-800, right? With existing fees of approx RM200 not working, I cannot imagine what will happen with the additional RM500. By changing the quantum, we will be changing the effectiveness of handling the issue, I guess. There is always a trade off.

As for suggestion #2, that will involved the government at the federal level. However, I am a bit confused on how the government works here in this land. While the Federal government has some ideas, the government on the state level can decide to do something different. For example, the Works Minister approves hillslope developments and now the State Government is asking for surety?!@#. That leads me to my next question, what is the Federal Government for?

If this is applied to pet ownership, I cannot imagine how are things will turn out to be. But I think its still easier to work from the ACT that has already been established. BTW, does anyone have the ACT that was mentioned on 360?

However, I think you still would have to agree that existing animal rescue practices or non-practices are indeed aggravating the stray issue instead of limiting it depending on how 1 was to look at it.

Last edited by Jeffrey Read; 02-16-2009 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:39 PM
Pet Epicurean

aliciahorsley is on a distinguished road

Quote:
aliciahorsly,
The suggestions placed forward does have merit on its own ground.

However, am sure hardcore animal rescuers will be hopping mad with that quantum. Imagine the average number of rescued animal an animal rescuer has & mutiply with RM500 under the existing economic crisis. I forsee, the immediate impact is more pets will be dumped into the streets and more strays will captured and culled. Perhaps everyone has to swallow a bitterpill.

By then most impounded animals can never be rescued from the pound or even online as the adoption fee will have risen to like RM700-800, right? With existing fees of approx RM200 not working, I cannot imagine what will happen with the additional RM500. By changing the quantum, we will be changing the effectiveness of handling the issue, I guess. There is always a trade off.
how does it affect rescuers? the fee is for unneutered animals only. neutering (and low cost cpay clinic) here is only rm40 male cat, rm60 female cat, rm70 male doga dn rm90 female dog. furthermore, most rescuers are dedicated to and already practicing neutering before rehoming. in other words, the rm500 licensing fee WILL NOT IMPACT RESCUERS.

Quote:
As for suggestion #2, that will involved the government at the federal level. However, I am a bit confused on how the government works here in this land. While the Federal government has some ideas, the government on the state level can decide to do something different.
this is something handled by individual local councils. as such, rules and regulations vary according to where you live. if the federal government were to rule on this, i think that all councils would have to comply :)
Our pets eat PINK raw food
Old 02-16-2009, 07:43 PM
User Account Terminated

aliciahorsley,
Am I glad I was wrong. Thanks for highlighting it to me.

But the funny thing you see, I have been reading from various posts etc & everything seems to suggest otherwise ie animals are not neutered nor spayed even the so claimed "neutered" or "spayed" ones from animal welfare groups. So it was like caveat emptor at the moment.

Didn't I mentioned before, I wanted to enquire about a dog that was up for adoption by a hardcore animal rescuer here but was told that the animal is not neutered yet. Neutering will only be done before the animal is given away. So I can imply that neither all hardcore animal rescuers spay nor neuter their animals, right? That is of course totally different from what you have claimed. I guess there is always another side of the coin, huh.

You see, I do not mind if I have to incur the neutering or spaying fees but if things are done to mislead the adopter in anyway as I have come across, that to me is irresponsible not matter what. Even the animal rescuer can hold a datukship title or the best animal rescuer in this land but it will come across me as dishonest.

As for #2, I honestly doubt the federal will know handle this. The hillslope issue is already a good recent indicator to go by. With the recent landslides all around, even statements from various MB's be it from the ruling party or opposition, nothing mentioned was comfortable for me. In fact, many people including the government would have "looked" smarter if they kept their trap shut and let the professionals do the talking!

You know, I too am building my house on a hilly area and I am surprised to learn what type of retaining wall system that was proposed to me. So now, I am questioning the engineer to provide me better wall systems that is workable to my expectations.

It simply shows what is happening at ground level and all of us have to comply with some ridiculous rule that inclusive of local authorities! If you had built your own house, than you will really know what I mean!

If handling of the economy and so many issues had continously failed beyond my expectations, I am really not keen on whatever rule or regulation the federal wishes to come out with and that includes strays. Otherwise, there is no necessity for us to be talking about this, now do we?

Last edited by Jeffrey Read; 02-16-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:25 PM
User Account Terminated

off-topic based some calculations
The other day, I think I heard or read somewhere; stating 12,000 animals were picked up on a yearly basis!

For calculations, I've use the mean i.e. RM65 based on aliciahorsley post and for 12,000 animals, it will cost a staggering mind whopping RM780,000 on spaying & neutering fees alone per year!

And animal activists are asking for an allocation or budget for this?
Old 02-16-2009, 11:31 PM
Animal Lover

Please ignore my previous message, I was misinformed. Very sorry for the misunderstanding. Thanks.

Last edited by tanuki; 02-17-2009 at 02:42 PM. Reason: misinformation.