Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Reviews, Notices & Stories > Hall of Shame

Hall of Shame There are lots of cruel and inconsiderate people out there. Expose their cruel deeds to the world and let them be shamed!

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 09:28 AM
PetFinder Guru

melmel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pulau Ketam & MPK Klang Dump Dogs in Uninhabited Island

Star Thursday May 7, 2009

2 DOGS RESCUED by SPCA - Dogs run deeper into island on seeing rescuers

By EDWARD RAJENDRA

PORT KLANG: The dogs abandoned on an uninhabited island by Pulau Ketam residents were so frightened at the sight of a big group of people that they fled deeper into the island.

A five-member team from the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) and nine newsmen came to the island off Pulau Selat Kering yesterday on a mission to rescue the dogs.

“Only two dogs were captured. The others just ran off,” said SPCA spokesman Jacinta Johnson.

She said they brought food to coax the dogs towards the shoreline but due to the incoming tide, they refused to approach the relief team.

“However, our operation is still meaningful as it has given us a better idea of the island and the movement of the dogs there.

“We won’t bring the media along in our next relief effort,” she said.

The team placed dog food and drinking water on the island before leaving the place.

A month ago, Pulau Ketam residents trapped about 400 dogs and transported them to Pulau Tengah to ease the stray dog population on their island.

The dogs, which lived below the stilt houses, would come up to the wooden platform during high tide.

Kindly contact 016 9018727 for firther info
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ketam 5.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	5032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ketam 6.jpg
Views:	930
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	5033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ketam 7.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	5034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ketam 8.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	5035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ketam 9.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	5036  

Name:	Ketam 10.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	5037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ketam 11.jpg
Views:	795
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	5038  

Last edited by melmel; 05-07-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:35 AM
PetFinder Guru

Sashy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Urgent Rescue Mission In Action - The Rescue Mission Secretariat.

Saving the animals from uninhabitable island is indeed a good deed, and no matter what else is said and done, that remains so.

However, the bigger issue is of the source of the strays which are being dumped there. No matter how many strays you save and rehome, as long as they are still breeding in the Pulau Ketam, the problem will be never-ending. No matter how many you rehome, there will still be more.

People are calling out for SPCA to do something, indeed, merely band-aiding the problem of the abandoned strays does not get to the root of the issue. What must be stopped is the breeding. Perhaps this would be a very good time to educate the villages of Pulau Ketam about the benefits of spaying. Not all the dogs and puppies start off as strays. I'm sure some villagers keep dogs as pets and guards, which are unneutered and contributing to the stray population.

A few public forums, fliers, sponsored/partially sponsored neuterings will build a huge awareness of its benefits. Shipping the dogs off to an island is expensive-who is paying for it? The villagers. Making spaying compulsory, or very attractive and showing the benefits of it (less breeding once the existing strays are removed, once the strays are removed no new unwanted puppies will be dumped to repopulate the strays). Showing them that if they continue not spaying and dumping unwanted puppies in their area for them to be 'fed' will just repopulate the strays and cost them even more money to ship them off again will also be a strong reinforcement for the benefits of spaying.

In fact, being an island where strays are a problem, SPCA and animal welfare groups can carry out neuter-and-release programs as a study population. We can actually see if this program will work here, with the aid of the desperate villagers.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:41 AM
PetFinder Guru

This is the time where such programs need to be carried out. People are more receptive of ways to control the stray populations as it is a major topic now. In 2 months, deporting strays will either be

a) banned - resulting in shoot on sight dogcatchers
b) normal - resulting in a lot of animals suffering for human faults.

So to all animal welfare groups, SPCA and others, strike NOW! to educate the people while they are open to a solution.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

I don't if a little background on what Pulau Ketam is like and the residents' lifestyle will help SPCA and other bodies in approaching the education of the stray dogs' population.....but here's what I know.

A few years ago (this is after the millenium), out of "unexplored" terrains to inspect, my hubby and I went to Pulau Ketam on a day trip and explored it inch by inch. This is what we saw.

Pulau Ketam has only ONE primary school, and no secondary school. Needless to say, no kindergartens and nurseries. They have one big Maybank, one fire brigade and one clinic that serves the whole island. No vet clinic and certainly no pet shops.

They have no "piped-in" electricity. The richer ones have generators while the rest of the residents use candles. Their doors are never shut or locked. Any house you go to, the doors are wide open, even if there's no one sitting outside. If I remember, only 8 homes have Astro satellite dishes.

The villagers all know each other and we stood out like a sore thumb ---- everyone stared at us as we explored the island.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default Urgent Rescue Mission In Action - The Rescue Mission Secretariat.

Well said,Sashy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashy View Post
This is the time where such programs need to be carried out. People are more receptive of ways to control the stray populations as it is a major topic now. In 2 months, deporting strays will either be

a) banned - resulting in shoot on sight dogcatchers
b) normal - resulting in a lot of animals suffering for human faults.

So to all animal welfare groups, SPCA and others, strike NOW! to educate the people while they are open to a solution.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:43 AM
PetFinder Guru

mrsdolittle is on a distinguished road

Dear all,

These are for all of us to think and consider in making a wise decision.

We need to have more volunteers to go to the island and rescue the dogs...

Pray hard at the same time.... Please let me know if anyone is interested to be a volunteer in any ways at your own free will...

Name:	IMG_0013.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	5051 CLICK ON THE PHOTOS TO ENLARGE

Name:	IMG_0010.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	5052

Name:	IMG_0022.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	5053

Name:	IMG_0025.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	5054

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	5055

Name:	IMG_0009.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	5056

Name:	IMG_0012.jpg
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	5057

Name:	IMG_0017.jpg
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	5058

Name:	IMG_0021.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	5059

Name:	IMG_0027.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	5060

Be brave my dear friends...

Love

...THE DAY I KNOW THE MEANING OF TRUE LOVE, LOYALTY, TRUST AND FRIENDSHIP...
...TIGER IN MEMORY...

Last edited by mrsdolittle; 05-07-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:46 AM
PetFinder Guru

melmel is on a distinguished road

Sashy aka Ann Lim,
Ketam village head CHA KENG LEE , who initiated tis cruelty act, has no regret wen i cal him. he defended his act by claiming d dogs were dumped in a so - called paradise island !!!

Last edited by melmel; 05-07-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:49 AM
PetFinder Guru

I see what you are saying Blackie007, it does sound like a good place that SPCA can visit every 5 months to spay and neuter dogs. After 2-3 visits, most puppies born that were being conceived should be born, and quickly spayed under a sponsored program (now is a good time to stock up funds for the necessary visits to Pulau Ketam). Since most villagers know each other, they should also know whose dogshave not been spayed and with this type of program, can encourage each other to spay their dogs when the SPCA visits. Otherwise, this problem will simply keep recurring, which leads to a lot of inconvenience for the villagers themselves.

In the long run, as the children move out of this village they too will carry a responsible pet ownership mentality with them as they go (from being educated by SPCA, and watching their elders practice spaying and neutering), and slowly influence others to spread this mindset
Old 05-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road
Default A Sorry State ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog is my buddy View Post
I have a question, now have FFF ms.Sabrina and local SPCA going concern this animals, which one is right official claim this rescue work?
Betol la, DIMB, seems that now suddenly everyone wants a piece of the action for publicity and nama ... but the big group of non-relevant ppl brought in will scare and traumatise the poor dogs more, complicate the rescue work and make the rescue more difficult to carry out than it already is.

to reflect the extend of their immense suffering and trauma) will need a tough rehabilitation program to restore their confidence in humans in order to make them adoptable (if that is even possible at all noting the severe psychological (not to mention physical) damage done unto them.

----------------------------------------------------------
Anyway, this is from TV Smith at http://www.mycen.com.my/rescue/updates.html today:

Thu, 07/05/09:

A SORRY STATE

As the problem exploded in their faces, opportunistic politicians and NGOs are quick to call press conferences and media briefings. Where were these people previously? Not that they didn't know. They didn't bother.

Of course now, they are covering their sorry asses and hoping to cash in at the same time. A meeting is being called with all concerned government agencies on Monday next. You know what? After all the expected red tape and bureaucracy, more dogs will be dead.

The meeting involved some people who will speak out only for pedigree dogs. And another NGO which is quick to promote culling. What a sick joke! I get this feeling that these people will probably take the easy way and shoot all of the dogs quietly to eliminate the inconvenience it is causing them.

And NO, Yang Berhormat! We will not reschedule our rescue work to accommodate your 'busy' schedules. If you want to come see the plight of the dogs, you make and suit our time.

Me and my blogging friends worked hard to put some of these people into power during the last elections. We were hoping they will be different and more caring to the less fortunate. But instead, many turned out to be hideous "close-one-eye" types who try to evade reponsibility when the shit hit the fan.

I don't need to remind the voters who they should reconsider during the next elections. Karma will deal with them , that I am sure.

We have made it known that we need boats urgently and not one person in power lifted his or her finger to mobilise resources. At the same time, villagers are charging us even more when we are there to help solve the mess they themselves created. Tragic irony for the dogs.

All the state machinery and equipment belongs to us tax payers but yet are held back when they are needed most. I also can't believe that with a fancy yacht club and so many nice boats anchored in Port Klang, not one member offered to help. (Except, one kind officer from the club who helped us transport the cages).

We are not asking for free rides. We will pay for fuel, crew and reasonable rental. I just want a safer vessel for our volunteers. Currently, we have to make do with all kinds of flimsy boats, putting the lives of volunteers and rescued animals at great risk. Do I also need to mention not one single vet offered to help?

I am extremely disheartened but me and Sabrina will soldier on knowing that time is running out for the dogs.

Updates by TV Smith
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 05-07-2009, 11:56 AM
i'm da devil.....

jenn is on a distinguished road

i'm a person who did't contribute... but for all da ppl out there who r doing the saving/helping/rescuing i'm really impresive with what u guys r doing... just wanna wish u guys all da best and do take care while doing da rescue...
ADD OIL, GANBATEH!!
Old 05-07-2009, 11:58 AM
PetFinder Guru

Dear Melmel, we can understand their frustration with the strays as I have read a post by one of the villagers, the dogs can be quite a nuisance when they fight for terriroty and mess up peoples homes. But perhaps you could ask him nicely who paid for the animal catcher and the transport to the island? I believe the villagers did, and I also believe IT WAS NOT CHEAP

You might want to point out to him that a mass spaying program by SPCA (perhaps partially funded by villagers, partially by SPCA, partially by the public), could prevent this problem from recurring. As things stand, they may have deported 300 dogs, 1700 more remain. If even 10% are females, and breed 3 puppies, that is 170x3 = 510 puppies incoming in the next 6 months. So in 6 months the villagers have to pay even more to deport 500 dogs! Better to spay all pets, and as many strays as possible to prevent this problem once and for all :)

All the villagers want is to sleep at night, so right now they don't care about how cruel the act is, or how inhospitable the island is. Out of sight is out of mind, and they don't have to worry about their kids being bitten during high tide when the dogs come in. They don't want to kill the dogs, thats obvious, they would rather send them to a place they believe is good for them where they won't bother people and people won't bother them. This is why the villagers won't feel guilty about this issue. However, try to let him view things in a practical manner, it may help. This is why we need people to actually speak to him and show him figures, hopefully he can see that there is a more humane and permanent method to control the issue.

The village headman seems to be quite influental if he can convince a majority of villagers to chip in and pay for transport for these dogs, getting him on our side would be a huge boost to an education effort :)

P.S: Who's Ann Lim :P
Old 05-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Default Yahooo !!! She is saved !!!!!!

Deleted kerana repeat posting disebabkan masalah teknikal.
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies

Last edited by FurKids; 05-07-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:04 PM
i'm da devil.....

jenn is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Ketam village head [B]CHA KENG LEE [/B], who initiated tis cruelty act, has no regret wen i cal him. he defended his act by claiming d dogs were dumped in a so - called paradise island !!![/QUOTE

speachless
Old 05-07-2009, 12:05 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Thumbs up Hurray! She is saved !!!!!

Hurray !!!!! She is saved !!!!!! Well done, Sabrina & friends !!!!! Thank God !!!!

Thu, 07/05/09:

YOU SAVED HER!

http://www.mycen.com.my/rescue/updates.html

Remember that forlorn puppy on a tree I photographed on our first rescue trip? I took her picture and turned it into our mission poster. It quickly moved a nation and touched a million hearts worldwide. Her expression of hopelessness and despair made everyone with a conscience weep. It also made me and Sabrina all the more determined to try free all the dogs imprisoned there.

Her haunting image spread like wildfire across the Internet and donations started pouring in. It allowed us to intensify our rescue efforts.

We had a hard and hectic day at the islands yesterday but we are extremely pleased to tell u we rescued her! She is now at the animal hospital undergoing treatment before she joins the other rescued animals at Sabrina's Furry Friends Farm sanctuary. Big hugs for all volunteers who helped and also to those who made donations, showered us with multi-faith prayers and much-needed moral support.

Together with her, we also retrieved another male dog which is injured and requires immediate medical attention. Your donations allow us to provide the medical care needed. Please help to keep the funds flowing by continuing to distribute the poster. You saved her!

TV Smith
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	puppy_saved.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	5063   Click image for larger version

Name:	puppy_poster.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	5064  
Old 05-07-2009, 12:14 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation
Default Re: A Sorry State ...

Furkid,
for my point, public should donate to which one? It is unclear statement?what do you think about this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurKids View Post
Betol la, DIMB, seems that now suddenly everyone wants a piece of the action for publicity and nama ... but the big group of non-relevant ppl brought in will scare and traumatise the poor dogs more, complicate the rescue work and make the rescue more difficult to carry out than it already is.

to reflect the extend of their immense suffering and trauma) will need a tough rehabilitation program to restore their confidence in humans in order to make them adoptable (if that is even possible at all noting the severe psychological (not to mention physical) damage done unto them.

----------------------------------------------------------
Anyway, this is from TV Smith at http://www.mycen.com.my/rescue/updates.html today:

Thu, 07/05/09:

A SORRY STATE

As the problem exploded in their faces, opportunistic politicians and NGOs are quick to call press conferences and media briefings. Where were these people previously? Not that they didn't know. They didn't bother.

Of course now, they are covering their sorry asses and hoping to cash in at the same time. A meeting is being called with all concerned government agencies on Monday next. You know what? After all the expected red tape and bureaucracy, more dogs will be dead.

The meeting involved some people who will speak out only for pedigree dogs. And another NGO which is quick to promote culling. What a sick joke! I get this feeling that these people will probably take the easy way and shoot all of the dogs quietly to eliminate the inconvenience it is causing them.

And NO, Yang Berhormat! We will not reschedule our rescue work to accommodate your 'busy' schedules. If you want to come see the plight of the dogs, you make and suit our time.

Me and my blogging friends worked hard to put some of these people into power during the last elections. We were hoping they will be different and more caring to the less fortunate. But instead, many turned out to be hideous "close-one-eye" types who try to evade reponsibility when the shit hit the fan.

I don't need to remind the voters who they should reconsider during the next elections. Karma will deal with them , that I am sure.

We have made it known that we need boats urgently and not one person in power lifted his or her finger to mobilise resources. At the same time, villagers are charging us even more when we are there to help solve the mess they themselves created. Tragic irony for the dogs.

All the state machinery and equipment belongs to us tax payers but yet are held back when they are needed most. I also can't believe that with a fancy yacht club and so many nice boats anchored in Port Klang, not one member offered to help. (Except, one kind officer from the club who helped us transport the cages).

We are not asking for free rides. We will pay for fuel, crew and reasonable rental. I just want a safer vessel for our volunteers. Currently, we have to make do with all kinds of flimsy boats, putting the lives of volunteers and rescued animals at great risk. Do I also need to mention not one single vet offered to help?

I am extremely disheartened but me and Sabrina will soldier on knowing that time is running out for the dogs.

Updates by TV Smith

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:21 PM
PetFinder Guru

Furkid,

I agree, I do not know who is doing rescue and who is doing public awareness campaign, and who is doing PR campaign :P I personally would support a public awareness and education program over pouring all my funds into rescue.

Main reason being? Funds are limited, rescue is a bandage, and is reactive to a problem that already exists. Instead, I would prefer to go to the root of the problem and sort it out in order to prevent more animals having to suffer in the future. I do not think that rescue is a waste of funds, it keeps us humane by helping those in need, its a very commendable action, but while fixing and issue, we also need to look at the root of the problem. Instead of buying more buckets when it rains, I would rather fix the leaky roof during a sunny day :)
Old 05-07-2009, 12:26 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation

Sashy, your are right, this cannot end, if not settle the root cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashy View Post
Furkid,

I agree, I do not know who is doing rescue and who is doing public awareness campaign, and who is doing PR campaign :P I personally would support a public awareness and education program over pouring all my funds into rescue.

Main reason being? Funds are limited, rescue is a bandage, and is reactive to a problem that already exists. Instead, I would prefer to go to the root of the problem and sort it out in order to prevent more animals having to suffer in the future. I do not think that rescue is a waste of funds, it keeps us humane by helping those in need, its a very commendable action, but while fixing and issue, we also need to look at the root of the problem. Instead of buying more buckets when it rains, I would rather fix the leaky roof during a sunny day :)

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:26 PM
PetFinder Guru

mrsdolittle is on a distinguished road

Weekdays volunteers are needed too...

Name:	IMG_0026.jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	5067

Name:	IMG_0016.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	5068

Name:	IMG_0015.jpg
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	5069

Name:	IMG_0121.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	5070

Name:	IMG_0089.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	5071

Kindly contact me at 016 9018727... thanks

...THE DAY I KNOW THE MEANING OF TRUE LOVE, LOYALTY, TRUST AND FRIENDSHIP...
...TIGER IN MEMORY...
Old 05-07-2009, 12:35 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Default Re: A Sorry State ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog is my buddy View Post
Furkid,
for my point, public should donate to which one? It is unclear statement?what do you think about this?
DIMB, just do as your head and heart leads you to, friend ... I donate to whoever is the most effective and sincere in helping those poor dogs at this moment... because the most urgent need right now is to rescue as many of those dogs as possible ... their days are numbered (dying every day) ... masalah yang lain tu lain hari boleh kira ... the top priority is the poor dying dogs on that island right now ...

Root cause can be tackled as we go along (tapi kena la settle, jangan cakap-cakap lepas tu lupa mcm Highland Towers ...) and the root cause should have been addressed long time ago pun ...
Old 05-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmel View Post
Sashy aka Ann Lim, Ketam village head CHA KENG LEE , who initiated tis cruelty act, has no regret wen i cal him. he defended his act by claiming d dogs were dumped in a so - called paradise island !!!
Melmel, ask the shithead to go live there with his ai-ren .... wearing only sarong ....

Last edited by FurKids; 05-07-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Closed Thread