Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Reviews, Notices & Stories > Vets & Docs Reviews

Vets & Docs Reviews Discuss, recommend, and review the people providing health care for your pets, ie, the animal docs.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:11 PM
Animal Lover

bavanie is on a distinguished road
Default Shame on Dr Gowri

My name is Bavanie. On the 13th of February, I sent my female dog, Kimi of 1 year and 4 months to K9 Veterinary Centre & Emergency Care for spaying (ovariohystorectomy). The vet, Dr Gowri a/p Gunasegaran said that the she needs to keep Kimi for two days after the operation. I agreed to everything, signed a document and gave a deposit of RM50. She told me it would cost RM150 to 180.

On the 15th of February, at 10am I called Dr Gowri to inquire on Kimi's situation and was told that she had eaten and she was fine. I told Dr Gowri that I would fetch Kimi before 7pm. When I went there, she quickly brought me to the reception, showed me the bill, explained to me that Kimi lost an amount of blood due to the enlargement of her fallopian tubes and ovaries but she managed to stop it by giving some medication. She then showed me the billed amount of RM300 which was far different from what she had promised at the begining. Without giving me the receipt, she brought me to see Kimi in the consultation room and I was shocked to see her in such a condition. Kimi's eyes were terribly red (like she never had sleep) and she was growling. When I touched her, Kimi bit me so hard that I bled a bit. She was also very wet and the assistant was wiping her. When I asked Dr Gowri, she said that they had to wipe her as she had blood stains on her. Dr Gowri insisted that I bring Kimi back and said that Kimi might be having behavariol problem because she missed home. However, I refused as I could see Kimi suffering. She sat quietly for a while then she jumped while growling and barking at her tail (or back). I was so shocked of that sight that I asked Dr Gowri to keep her for one more day and make sure she gets enough medication and care so that she's cured. I did not care about the money. All I wanted was my baby to be back home safely. Dr Gowri promised to visit Kimi in the night after she closed down at 8pm.

At 10.30 pm I called Dr Gowri and she told me that she was on the way. When I asked if I can come to visit, she asked me to wait until further notice. At 10.40pm she called me and said that Kimi was under fits and she 'is' trying to revive Kimi. Then she said “I'm sorry I tried my best”. That would mean that she was trying to save Kimi while talking to me on the phone. Is that safe? Kimi passed away after going through such a normal procedure. I was devasted and so was my family. We brought her to the Animal Medical Centre in Jalan Tun Razak immediately after that and was told by the doctor that they don't do post-mortem. I was told that even if I brought Kimi to UPM the next day for post-mortem it would be too late as she would have decomposed. Therefore, I brought her to my father's house and burried her on his land at about 1.30am.

The next day, my father in law went to take the bill from her and demanded for a medical report for Kimi's death. She told us that since her assistant was away, she could only give a medical report on the 17th. On the 17th I went there and consulted her over her negligence. She told me she did not perform any blood test prior to the anaesthetic which I was told was a normal procedure in the Animal Medical Centre in Jalan Tun Razak. Her explanation was different doctors follow different procedures. Don't you all have a standard procedure? I also asked her if she consulted any other vet as she told me that she was not sure why Kimi behaved that way and wat was the reason behind Kimi's death. She told me that she consulted a vet in Taman Segar (Tropic Vets if i'm not mistaken). When I asked her for her medical certificate, she told me that she only kept the expired one in the clinic and the renewed one was at home. I insisted that she bring it the next day along with the medical report for Kimi. She also doesn't have her license displayed in the clinic. I wonder what is Majlis Perbandaran Klang doing.

Today, on the 18th, I collected the report and saw her medical certificate which I'm not sure if it's real. The medical report stated that she did not carry out the surgery on the 13th because her clinic was busy and starved Kimi again overnight and did the surgery on the 14th. Until now, I don't know what was the reason for her death. All I know is my Kimi died over such a normal procedure. I sent in a perfectly healthy dog and I got back a carcass. Is this what I get when I put 100% trust on vets? Why is it that we have vets who are so money crazy and not bother about the animals they have under their care? I have forwarded this letter to certain departments in the hope that someone can give me an explanation for this or take action over this matter.

Previously I have also brought some golden retriever puppies to her clinic as they had skin problem. She shaved their hair and gave me cream to apply on them. The problem got worse and I had to send them to a different doctor who gave injection and after that they were fine. She told me that it's not safe to give injection. If that was the case why did the other doctor give? I dont understand why you have so many different procedures. I know that we only have one Veterinary Institute in Malaysia and that it is in UPM. Do they change your syllabus every year?

I once worked in a veterinary clinic and many of the doctors told me that veterinary was not their first option. They were forced to this course if they wanted to study in public universities. Even I tried applying for Diploma Kehutanan dan Kehaiwanan after my SPM (which I obtained 10A's in) but was unable to get through. Why don't we have other public institutions offering this course? Why don't we have private institutions offering this course? This way we would have vets who really care about animals. Our Malaysian Education System, in some way reflects “1 Malaysia” as it has only “1 Institut Perubatan Veterinar”.

Every day animals are dying because of veterinarian's negligence. In Malaysia, we, pet owners can't do anything about it as so little consideration is given to animals. But I am not going to leave this alone. Animals are also god's creation. They deserve much better than what they are getting now. I believe that those of you who have a heart will definitely do something about this post.

I wish to end my post with our nation's latest quote “1 Malaysia” extending it to “1 Species”.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:44 PM

gabriel is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Re: Beware of Dr Gowri

wow..wat a sad tragedy..hopefully that *^%$ DR will get some lessons..
Old 02-19-2010, 03:47 PM

gabriel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Shame on Dr Gowri

shame on you f$^%ing DR GOWRI!!
Old 02-19-2010, 08:21 PM
Animal Lover

today i went to see another vet and ask him for his opinion. according to him, she shouldn't have done the surgery on chinese new year as she didnt have any assistance. she was not at all concerned about kimi. when i was there, another customer came in bringing her dog from Dr Gowri's clinic. That dog had skin problem and Dr Gowri made it worse.

The vet that i spoke to told me that Dr Gowri practiced in Dubai and specialized in horses. She is not at all experienced with small dogs. Doesnt that mean that she should have another vet in her clinic who can help her? Most clinics have atleast 2 vets. Why doesnt she? Who is giving out this license? Why are they so negligent?
Old 02-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Animal Lover

I forgot to mention that at 7.30 pm, when I called Gowri she told me that Kimi bit the cage and lost 2 teeth. How could she leave Kimi after such an incident, I dont know. I called the animal medical centre in tun razak immediately to find out if I can bring Kimi there but they told me they cant do much until the next morning. That is why I decided to leave Kimi in Gowri's. Kimi is a shih tzu... A mini shih tzu who is very very very small. What happened till she bit the cage?
Old 02-20-2010, 12:15 AM
Animal Lover

Anne is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Beware of Dr Gowri

Sorry 4 for ur loss
& tq for the info & warning, will never send my pets there
Old 02-20-2010, 12:43 AM
Animal Lover

betta is on a distinguished road

i'm sorry to hear about kimi , a healthy dog that end up just bcoz of that unethical vet....that vet deserve a punishment before other pets become like kimi..
poor kimi....
Old 02-20-2010, 06:52 PM
PetFinder Guru

Sashy is on a distinguished road

I really feel for your loss. Its such a simple procedure. While every surgery has risks, I always thought that the risk is severe reaction to the anaethetic and the dog doesnt wake up ...
I dont understand the 'enlargement of the fallopian tubes and ovaries' I thought they were supposed to be removed?
I hope whatever it is, you get a good, clear explanation of what happened
Old 02-21-2010, 10:24 AM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default Beware of Dr Gowri

I think this happen because the dog was on heat when Bavanie sent Kimi to the vet. If I'm not mistaken, spaying dog/cat on heat has minimal risk.

I heard not so good story abt this vet too but since I don't have any experience with her so I can't say anything much. But enough to make me beware if situation arise where I don't have choice to send my cats to her clinic.

Bavanie, sorry for your loss. You are right. We need vet that true animal lovers. Not some vet that think abt $$$ all the time. This is what Malaysia lack of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashy View Post
I really feel for your loss. Its such a simple procedure. While every surgery has risks, I always thought that the risk is severe reaction to the anaethetic and the dog doesnt wake up ...
I dont understand the 'enlargement of the fallopian tubes and ovaries' I thought they were supposed to be removed?
I hope whatever it is, you get a good, clear explanation of what happened
Old 02-21-2010, 10:52 AM
PetFinder Guru

Sashy is on a distinguished road

Hi June,
Thx for your explanation about the tubes. Maybe thats what the Dr meant.

Though also, I've spoken to a vet before about spaying a dog on heat, and he said theres more bleeding because all the blood vessels are distended. I don't remember what he said about the risks though, but he has done it before on female dogs on heat
Old 02-21-2010, 11:05 AM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default Beware of Dr Gowri

Sashy,every surgery come with risk but neutering dog/cat supposed to be a simple procedure. It shouldn't cost our pet's life

One of our forumer friend here recently lost her cat due to an incompetence vet too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashy View Post
Hi June,
Thx for your explanation about the tubes. Maybe thats what the Dr meant.

Though also, I've spoken to a vet before about spaying a dog on heat, and he said theres more bleeding because all the blood vessels are distended. I don't remember what he said about the risks though, but he has done it before on female dogs on heat
Old 02-21-2010, 03:00 PM
PetFinder Guru

crool is on a distinguished road

Dear Bavanie,

sorry to hear that..please accept my condolence..i know it's really hurt, I lost my precious melody be4, I brought my melody to vet gasing 2 weeks ago and the doctor said she was okay and need a calcium since she couldn't walk properly.. the doctor also did x-ray to melody and the result still the same she's fine..huhu..,it just she can't walk properly... I trust the doctor and follow her instruction to give melody a pain killer and nerve ..... but after three days her condition still the same even worst than be4 , so i brought her to klana jaya vet clinic to meet Dr intan,Thanks to Dr Intan because she found out that melody actually have a big ulcer inside of her mouth that's why she couldn't eat and no energy to walk... but Dr Intan couldn't change melody medicine because she still under treatment by other Dr, she scare that it will harm melody if she change the medicine... So she just give an advice to give a chicken soup to melody since she can't eat and I know there's no hope for melody by looking on her condition but Dr Intan still motivate me that melody will be okay soon .. Thanks to Dr Intan for the support , she really care about my melody..
Old 02-22-2010, 12:00 AM
Animal Lover

i brought her for the surgery after 3 weeks... i consulted another vet b4 going to gowri actually... he was the one who told me that the surgery can be done immediately... but he was closing for cny so i had to go to her...

dear crool, i'm so sorry to hear about melody... i really hope she gets well soon... are u sure you dont want to go to a really good medical centre and check her out? there might be something else that can be done... just dont give up easily...
Old 02-22-2010, 07:53 PM
PetFinder Guru

crool is on a distinguished road

Quote:
PHP Code:
dear crooli'm so sorry to hear about melody... i really hope she gets well soon... are u sure you dont want to go to a really good medical centre and check her out? there might be something else that can be done... just dont give up easily... 
Dear Bavanie,

Huhu..melody died already , i miss her so much...tq for ur concern.....
Old 02-23-2010, 12:25 AM
Animal Lover

omg... i'm so sorry... i didnt read it properly... and i'm sorry for ur loss... aih~
Old 02-23-2010, 03:14 AM
Animal Lover

missfinn is on a distinguished road

I cried when I read it and can't imagine how painful it was to be in your place! My condolence to you and your family...
Old 08-19-2010, 04:42 PM
Animal Lover

farahkabun is on a distinguished road

I'm so sorry to hear that. Thank you for sharing. May all the forumers beware of this Clinic and the Doctor.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:32 AM
Animal Lover

machobaby is on a distinguished road

First of all, I would like to say sorry to hear about your dog, Kimi. The exact same thing happened to me today, and it was at the same clinic, the same doctor, Dr. Gowri. She told me my dog bit the cage too, and because of that he ate some bits of the metal and thats the cause to his death. The doctor even showed me the cage, but my dog, Macho, a maltese, is a very gentle dog. He doesn't chew on bones and he only plays with soft toys. So I didn't believe a single word she said. When my dog passed away, according to her, it was 11 plus this morning, she didn't call me right away. She only texted me at 1pm to tell me my dog is gone. When I confronted her and told her to provide me my dog's status report, she couldn't even show me one and told me she would only give it to me tomorrow, which I believe she wrote it later on. When I was there to collect my dog, I even saw a cane on her table, so i have all the reasons to believe she actually cane dogs who are there. While me and my family were all traumatized by the incident, she could still smile and asked to settle the bill. She also told me that this was the first case that a dog has died in her hands when it was obviously not the case as she, too, caused kimi's death. I strongly believe she is a very irresponsible and greedy doctor as she insisted that my dog, macho, has to stay for 2 days for monitoring when in the past with my other dogs there was never such procedure. The operation was on Sunday so Macho has to stay till Tuesday before we could take him home. This is the doctor knowing that the clinic does not operate on Mondays. So she obviously did not monitor macho on Monday though she insisted she did.

The reason why I am writing to you is to let u know that this is actually ongoing and happening to other victims, like myself. I am thinking of filing a law suit against such irresponsible and heartless doctor, and contacting all other victims to get together. I hope I have your support on this as we cannot let this rest until we get some answers. I want to at least know the real truth behind Macho's and also Kimi's death. Our dogs will not rest in peace if this is not resolved. Please contact me at vicye_ve@hotmail.com if you would like to discuss further on this. I look forward to your reply.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:07 AM
Animal Lover

lulubelle is on a distinguished road

This forum was brought to my attention just a few days ago because I had also lost my pet to Dr Gowri 2 years ago. My bulldog was just 8 months old when I sent her for what was supposed to be a simple spaying procedure. I was told that it was best to keep her overnight for observation and I could take her home the following day. It was on Friday, 13 June 2009, and I dropped her off at the clinic around 1pm on my way to work. At about 5pm I called Dr Gowri for an update and she told me that the op went well, although my dog bled a lot but everything was under control. I called again abt 2 hours later and her helper took my call, telling me that the doctor was out but my dog was resting. I was assured that my baby was fine. That night I stayed back in KL due to work and did not return to Klang, convinced that eveything was fine and I trusted the vet completely. I was supposed to pick my baby up at 2pm on Saturday after work but at 10am, I got a call from Dr Gowri telling me in exactly these words "I'm sorry. Your dog did not make it through the night". Words cannot describe the pain I went through and till today, I miss her everyday. I brought her home, her ashes in a ceramic jar ... it sits on the altar and there's always fresh flowers for her ... she was such an angel, my heartbeat at my feet. When I rushed to the clinic to see my baby, Dr Gowri kept saying she did not know what happened. I do not know what happened. I will never know. All I know is that nothing can bring my baby back. Of course I blamed myself for a long time. Why did I rush to get her spayed? There was no rush. Why didn't I go check on her that night? Did she suffer? Did she think that I abandoned her? What pains me more than anything is the fact that I was not by her side when she breathed her last. I do not think that Dr Gowri meant my dog harm. Perhaps she just needs to question her skills as a vet.

I have three beautiful dogs today whom I love with all my heart. I am a paranoid pet parent, my vet will vouch for that. My male bulldog has been neutered and my female bulldog has been spayed. They are alive and well.

"THEY ARE NOT DEAD WHO LIVE IN THE HEARTS THEY LEAVE BEHIND"
Old 04-21-2011, 12:59 AM
Animal Lover

eglonet is on a distinguished road

hello ms bavani ..really i pity you...i saw article in news paper ...she scold you and your dog....i really i cant take it
i give yu few suggestions
find out ...she finish her diploma in upm or not
according my fren she kick out frm upm...tru or not?
she said she got veterinary degree frm bagor university indone
find out this uni or college approve by veter. council?
if not approved ..how she obtain her annual practice? true or dupl?
finally call and find out bagor uni/colle ge...she finish her degree or not
according my fren..
she cheated the final year result...alter the certificate..to get final year result...anything can do this bagor college...money?
bagor univer.prof.. looking for her ,....bcoz her false certificate...
push malaysia veterinary council...to investigate....eveything
i dun want more animal die...please
if she not qualified dr...you can bring he to court...sue her ...ask for compensation...