Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your cat's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 04-09-2012, 10:53 PM
Animal Lover

DuchessNin is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Please, please help my cat...

... who is just this close to scratching her whole head off

The scratching has been going on for 4 months I am so tired of taking her to the vet because the both places I visit say the same thing... maybe she's allergic to the food? Have you tried another brand? FYI, yes, I have tried EVERY brand there is... none have put a stop to the itching...

SO... to stop my rants... I am making the educated guess that perhaps my beautiful darling doesn't agree with processed food so I may need to make my own cat food... which is where all you lovely people come in.. I am not a cook, I can barely feed myself with my own cooking so please please please I am begging anyone out there who has a simple but effective recipe for home made cat food that I can copy without burning my kitchen down...

The last and worst option would be to de-claw her because seeing how raw she's scratching herself is too hard to bear... but yes, I know this option is equally unsavory....

So, thank you in advance for any help you can provide, I very much appreciate it...
Old 04-09-2012, 11:30 PM
PetFinder Guru

Rayquaza17 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Please, please help my cat...

Is it Cat flea?
Old 04-10-2012, 09:52 AM
Animal Lover

I thought it was originally, but the vet said (when I took her oh so many months ago) it was a mixture of fungus and mites so for the last 2 months or so, we've been applying her anti-fungal and anti-mites medication, but last week, when we did a follow up visit, another vet said that it could be food allergies (back to square one again, ) because the scratching hasn't died down... so yeah... I have no idea what to think of this whole thing.... sigh...

And she is a 100% house cat, she doesn't go out at all, and the only other cat she interacts with is my second cat, who is worm free, flea free, and pretty much disease free...
Old 04-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Animal Lover

crazykat is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I too have the same problem with my cat.

There are 3 things to consider when a cat scratches non stop :
1. Flea/mites
2. food/pollen/household detergent allergy
3. STRESS

I've eliminated the first 2 conditions for my cat.
My cat has No3, obsessive,compulsive syndrome - stress because he's indoor. He's awaiting neuter as he recently recovered from kidney insufficiency.
In the mean time, I give him fish oil (omega 3 & 6) to help ease inflamation and is also good for the skin.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
In the mean time, I give him fish oil (omega 3 & 6) to help ease inflamation and is also good for the skin.
Hope this helps.
What brand do you use? Do you mix it with your own homemade food or with the commercial brands?
Old 04-10-2012, 04:46 PM
PetFinder Guru

You could use some medicated soap that is recommend by your vet or either, just check out for flea. You could try applying revoultion and see the effect?
Old 04-11-2012, 09:05 AM
Animal Lover

jamie76 is on a distinguished road

Food allergy will not go away immediately after you changed food. The body system will have a month or two to re-alligned itself to the new food. So, any food change shall be kept under monitoring for at least 2-4 months. If your other cats do not have the same condition as your current cat, i would assume the cause is from this cat's inner system. Why don't you also try to give it Vetri DMG to boost it's immune system and let it's own body get strong to fight off whatever that it's suffering from.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Animal Lover

Thanks for the revoultion advice (did I spell that right?) I am currently bathing her with medicated shampoo that targets mites, but I'll def look into this...

Jamie, where can I buy the Vetri DMG? I don't feel like going to my vet (both of them) because I don't feel they are very useful.... basically, I've gone to several within the PJ area and the experience hasn't been good, I feel their diagnosis, if I can call it that, is very superficial so that's why I'm turning to other cat owners instead and trying to pick the right steps from their own experience...

Right now, since I still don't know how to cook healthily for her, I've changed her diet to Royal Canin for Persians, and the Dick Patten's Natural Balance wet food range... she's crazy in love with it and laps it up like I've haven't fed her for weeks... she's a VERY lazy eater, so it warms the cockles of my heart to see her eat so ravenously

thanks very much uols for all the help I really hope she'll get better soon
Old 04-13-2012, 12:19 AM
PetFinder Guru

Sure. Please update :)
Old 04-13-2012, 09:18 AM
Animal Lover

I got my VetriDMG from Hands & Paws Vet Clinic in Aman Suria. FOr cats, it's more difficult to give tablets, i would suggest you go with the liquid form and get the smaller bottle as you don't want it to oxidate and loose it's effectiveness. Keep the bottle in the fridge (no heat no sunlight).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessNin View Post
Thanks for the revoultion advice (did I spell that right?) I am currently bathing her with medicated shampoo that targets mites, but I'll def look into this...

Jamie, where can I buy the Vetri DMG? I don't feel like going to my vet (both of them) because I don't feel they are very useful.... basically, I've gone to several within the PJ area and the experience hasn't been good, I feel their diagnosis, if I can call it that, is very superficial so that's why I'm turning to other cat owners instead and trying to pick the right steps from their own experience...

Right now, since I still don't know how to cook healthily for her, I've changed her diet to Royal Canin for Persians, and the Dick Patten's Natural Balance wet food range... she's crazy in love with it and laps it up like I've haven't fed her for weeks... she's a VERY lazy eater, so it warms the cockles of my heart to see her eat so ravenously

thanks very much uols for all the help I really hope she'll get better soon
Old 04-13-2012, 02:15 PM
Animal Lover

I got my VetriDMG from Hands & Paws Vet clinic in Aman Suria. Get the liquid one (small bottle) so that you can include that in her/his food. Giving a tablet to a cat is a nightmare, so the liquid mixes with the food is so much more easier. Keep the bottle in the fridge (away from heat and light) so that the content don't loose the potency that quickly.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Animal Lover

Hi all, thanks so much for all your help... my update is a sad one, my cat's fungus infection took a turn for the worst when it suddenly became raw and wet, spread to her head and all around her neck. She's been warded now and under recommendation, she'll be in the hospital for a month or so. The vets (at UPM) are so mystified by her condition, they think she may be a product of inbreeding by breeders who try and take the short cut way, so her immune systems a bit off and possible expression of recessive genes. It's hard, I miss her all the time, but if they can find out what's wrong with her once and for all and create a plan to keep her healthy, then that's something I can live with...

so again, thanks very much uols for ur concern
Old 04-16-2012, 06:05 PM
Animal Lover

Sorry to hear the condition got worse.... Pray that it'll recover soon. Do update us.