Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your cat's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 03-19-2010, 01:21 AM
PetFinder Guru

Nana is on a distinguished road
Unhappy cat with cancer: ada nasihat x??

Hellloo... after sekian lama menyepi.. terpanggil nak start thread ni.. dunnno if pernah dibincangkan or not.. but cari2 cm xde.. anyhow...

Kiki is a 1 year+ spayed female.

She has cancer. At first, she was chased by dogs (a group of dogs) and suffered a cut on the side of her tummy, but she survived through, luckily she's a fat cat =D.

After recovering from her wound, a lump appeared in her tummy area, which we were told to be cancer. to cut story short, she's gone through many visits to the vet, in and out. injections, taking the lump out, fixing the wound and all that sort, and of course she's traumatized with these visits.

Despite of this, her appetite and activity is all ok. Her current condition is that her wound got better, but the lumps are still there. at times her tummy would be wet, because the lumps kinda burst like pimples.

Now, the dilemma is should she keep going for operations? one after another, until the lump is all gone? which most definitely stressful for the girl.

and if not, then any advice?

ni wound yg 1st dgn anjing dl tu. that was nothing. now it's along bwh badan dia, sepanjang2 tu :(
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00039.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	9086   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00140.JPG
Views:	510
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	9087   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00188.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	9088  
Old 03-19-2010, 09:42 AM
PetFinder Guru

Felix The Cat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: cat with cancer: ada nasihat x??

Poor Kiki........
Kesian tengok apa yang dia lalui tu.
Hopefully all will go well with her Nana.
She is one strong cat

Felix The Cat - Dee wonderful wonderful cat!
http://felixthecats.weebly.com
http://livinginmyworld-phyllis.blogspot.com/
Old 03-19-2010, 10:47 AM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default cat with cancer: ada nasihat x??

Nan,ko bilang byk visit to the vet to remove the lump and yet the lump still there?? apa yg vet ckp?? What kind of cancer??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana View Post
Hellloo... after sekian lama menyepi.. terpanggil nak start thread ni.. dunnno if pernah dibincangkan or not.. but cari2 cm xde.. anyhow...

Kiki is a 1 year+ spayed female.

She has cancer. At first, she was chased by dogs (a group of dogs) and suffered a cut on the side of her tummy, but she survived through, luckily she's a fat cat =D.

After recovering from her wound, a lump appeared in her tummy area, which we were told to be cancer. to cut story short, she's gone through many visits to the vet, in and out. injections, taking the lump out, fixing the wound and all that sort, and of course she's traumatized with these visits.

Despite of this, her appetite and activity is all ok. Her current condition is that her wound got better, but the lumps are still there. at times her tummy would be wet, because the lumps kinda burst like pimples.

Now, the dilemma is should she keep going for operations? one after another, until the lump is all gone? which most definitely stressful for the girl.

and if not, then any advice?

ni wound yg 1st dgn anjing dl tu. that was nothing. now it's along bwh badan dia, sepanjang2 tu :(
Old 03-19-2010, 12:16 PM
PetFinder Guru

alamak.. terlebih bsr plk gmbr dia tu.. sowwie...

yups.. sian kan dia kak nurul.. tp active dia cm biasa ja.. cuma my mom perasan dia mcm lebih manja ni.. risau2 la pulak if tu tanda2

Kak June, iya.. many visits and procedure sda she went through. mammary cancer ka klu xsilap.

at first, there was one lump. then operate buang. during wound recovery, timbul pula beberapa lump baru (di tepi2 tempat lump yang 1st dulu tu). buka and buang lagi. pastu menunggu luka baik, buka tutup luka lagi. then yg skrg ni, luka tutup sda, but ada few lumps br lagi. dalam 2-3 lumps la. ada yg kcl2 tu dia pecah cam jerawat, hilang la jgk. tp yg bsr2 skt masih begitu sjalah. currently active and nampak healthy. so now thinking. pa mau buat lg ni...

lumps yg baru tu.. xtau la yg lama punya ka, atau tumbuh baru. tp lepas operate, mmg nmpk all flat as in xda lump, tp lm2 obvious blk tu lump tp not necessarily di tempat yg sama.

my mom ckp kesian dia, mmg trauma ni pi vet. lgpun kan stressful tu kena board, kena kurung apa suma. kta pun sedih tgk. while klu x dia ok ja gembira2 main2, tp xla melompat tinggi sb dia gumuk . so mcm tu la my mom say, mau keep hantar operate (which kiki doesn't enjoy la) or let her be with the lumps (she looks happy and healthy)... errrmm...
Old 03-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

Nana,

Lebih baik kalau you speak with the vet. Discuss dengan dia terus-terang, and ask for his/her opinion, whether you should just leave Kiki as she is (comfortable, active, can eat & play) or whether she must go through the operations again. What to expect kalau continue treatment, and what to expect kalau tak nak continue treatment. And if possible, for go second opinion, too (if you have a 2nd vet).

Then, with all the facts from a qualified vet who knows what he/she is talking about, you will be in a better position to decide what action to take or not to take for your beloved Kiki.

Poor Kiki. My heart goes out to her and you. Hope she gets well soon.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:05 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Hello, Nana --

Your Kiki is so lovely! I agree with Blackie that getting a 2nd opinion from another vet is a good idea.

I've also heard many people saying very good things about Dr. Susanna Brida, who does veterinary acupuncture. She's a European-trained vet who studied acupuncture for animals in Asia. If Kiki does really have cancer, I doubt acupuncture could cure it, but it might help Kiki be more comfortable? Anyway, you can find out more at
www.asiapaws.com. Best of luck to you and Kiki! :-)
Old 03-19-2010, 10:19 PM
PetFinder Guru

Sashy is on a distinguished road

I agree, get a second opinion. Especially since the lumps are originating from the wound (dog bite?). It may be some infection or something? Hope she gets better, poor thing to have so many ops already
Old 03-20-2010, 12:30 AM
PetFinder Guru

Hi all thanks. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post
Nana,

Lebih baik kalau you speak with the vet. Discuss dengan dia terus-terang, and ask for his/her opinion, whether you should just leave Kiki as she is (comfortable, active, can eat & play) or whether she must go through the operations again. What to expect kalau continue treatment, and what to expect kalau tak nak continue treatment. And if possible, for go second opinion, too (if you have a 2nd vet).

Then, with all the facts from a qualified vet who knows what he/she is talking about, you will be in a better position to decide what action to take or not to take for your beloved Kiki.

Poor Kiki. My heart goes out to her and you. Hope she gets well soon.
Hey Blackie.. (long time haven't 'talked' wt you. if you and others remember SUNSHINE, she's back with me, aaaahh.. happy ending)

Kiki is back at my hometown in Sabah, so my mom is her main carer. It is her who went through all that with Kiki. My mom was saying that the vet has kinda already mentioned, that if the lumps keep coming back, that means they would keep opening her up. From what I hear, he's a caring and so far so good vet, I suppose it is his opinion of the case. You're right bout going for 2nd opinion. I shall pass this on to my mom. But judging from all this, I think my mom may as well be traumatized with the vet heeee....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Hello, Nana --

Your Kiki is so lovely! I agree with Blackie that getting a 2nd opinion from another vet is a good idea.

I've also heard many people saying very good things about Dr. Susanna Brida, who does veterinary acupuncture. She's a European-trained vet who studied acupuncture for animals in Asia. If Kiki does really have cancer, I doubt acupuncture could cure it, but it might help Kiki be more comfortable? Anyway, you can find out more at
www.asiapaws.com. Best of luck to you and Kiki! :-)
Thank you Maneki Neko =). She is an elegant girl with attitude, hence, it's sooo saddening to see her look so down during recovery.

Ya, I'm also agreeing to getting a second opinion. Although I think my mom is also dreading the vet visits, but who wouldn't ya. Especially when you bring in a happy smiling cat and return with a frowning angry cat. Thanks for the info, my mom is checking it out, as I type this.... (hey, I think you also might remember my SUNSHINE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashy View Post
I agree, get a second opinion. Especially since the lumps are originating from the wound (dog bite?). It may be some infection or something? Hope she gets better, poor thing to have so many ops already
Yups. I think that's to do now. that's the thing, good thing to point out, but if i'm not mistaken they said the wound frm that incident had healed and it's not related. it wasn't a bite, more of a scratch I think. Kiki climbed up a tree, smart heh! but the 6-7 huge dogs kept taking turn dragging her down, hence the wound. till now she's no longer keen of escaping to go out anymore. I couldn't get over the image of this incident, and now this. poor girl ya.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:14 AM
PetFinder Guru

Kiki is on the way to see a new vet today. talked to my mom on the phone. Kiki was screamingly meowing in the car. She used to enjoy car rides, now it's no more fun for her :(
Old 03-20-2010, 10:19 AM
PetFinder Guru

Really poor Kiki. Her life is so drastically changed now. Did they biopsy the lumps they removed?

Last edited by Sashy; 03-20-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:17 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Yes Nana, I remember Sunshine. Am glad to know that she's with you now. :)

I can understand what your mum is going through. It's quite traumatising to see one's beloved pet suffers. Not only the pet is hurting, but the owner is, too.

Please keep us updated on Kiki. May she recover completely soon.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:39 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Really poor Kiki. Her life is so drastically changed now. Did they biopsy the lumps they removed?
Sashy, the vet today asked the same thing. and the answer is no. and so how did they know it was cancer. am not sure.

The situation now is, they'd like to know whether the mass was benign or malignant. as in if it was benign, then it probably would've been fine to leave in, in the first place. but since they've opened kiki up, it may have just complicate the case, when we are unsure if the 1st op to remove the lump was needed or not.

So today, they extracted pus-like fluid from the lumps, and she's prescribed with antibiotic until next week. Once they know 'what' it is that's inside Kiki, and whether its benign or malignant, then only they'll decide on what's best to do next.

Kiki had to be left there the whole day today, as she wasn't very cooperative. They too noticed that she's traumatized, in their words, it was as if Kiki recognize vets and their tools, and Kiki showed reactions when they came near her and brought out the tools. eeerrrm... poor Kiki. And they mentioned that Kiki is actually in pain .
Old 03-20-2010, 11:36 PM
PetFinder Guru

I forgot to check, you said the lumps burst, what happened to them after they burst? Do they heal or just refill? Are they going to biopsy or examine the fluid they extracted?
Old 03-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default cat with cancer: ada nasihat x??

Nana,kucing ko di KK kah skrg?? yg kakak tau tu vet Dr Rashid jak.yg lain ndak pasti pula. klu ko blm pigi Dr Rashid,cuba ko minta mama ko pi sana. Dekat Luyang tu.klu ko ndak pasti pls let me know. nanti kakak call my mum minta nombor telefon klinik Dr Rashid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana View Post
Sashy, the vet today asked the same thing. and the answer is no. and so how did they know it was cancer. am not sure.

The situation now is, they'd like to know whether the mass was benign or malignant. as in if it was benign, then it probably would've been fine to leave in, in the first place. but since they've opened kiki up, it may have just complicate the case, when we are unsure if the 1st op to remove the lump was needed or not.

So today, they extracted pus-like fluid from the lumps, and she's prescribed with antibiotic until next week. Once they know 'what' it is that's inside Kiki, and whether its benign or malignant, then only they'll decide on what's best to do next.

Kiki had to be left there the whole day today, as she wasn't very cooperative. They too noticed that she's traumatized, in their words, it was as if Kiki recognize vets and their tools, and Kiki showed reactions when they came near her and brought out the tools. eeerrrm... poor Kiki. And they mentioned that Kiki is actually in pain .
Old 03-23-2010, 04:00 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
I forgot to check, you said the lumps burst, what happened to them after they burst? Do they heal or just refill? Are they going to biopsy or examine the fluid they extracted?
acc to my mom, after they burst, then considered heal, at least externally. But that only happens for the smaller lumps. Yeah, Kiki is on antibiotic now, and if it doesn't help, then they'll do further testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Nana,kucing ko di KK kah skrg?? yg kakak tau tu vet Dr Rashid jak.yg lain ndak pasti pula. klu ko blm pigi Dr Rashid,cuba ko minta mama ko pi sana. Dekat Luyang tu.klu ko ndak pasti pls let me know. nanti kakak call my mum minta nombor telefon klinik Dr Rashid.
kak june, ya, itu kucing drg di sana ba. sy pun xpasti tu vet mn my mom pegi. nanti I'll cek wt her.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:06 PM
PetFinder Guru

Just updating..

that Kiki had since been reviewed weekly. The inflammations have subsided, and she was noted to be in a better state for the operation. She was admitted of Friday, and they've done the operation and my mom was told it was a BIG mass . I haven't heard of what result of the biopsy turned out to be. Just hoping for the best of her recovery.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:49 AM
Petfinder Moderator

glad to hear that kiki is in a better state, and the inflammation has subsided. hope kiki gets better and better as each day passes. stay strong, nana.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:22 PM
PetFinder Guru

Thanks for your well wishes

Kiki is home =) with about 20 stitches on her 5 parallel cuts . She's a strong girl.

Result of biopsy will come in about 7 days. But from their gross examination, it contained milk & pus. Suggesting her spaying wasn't done properly/completely because it meant that her mammary glands were still active. That's the theory..

I haven't seen her, but I hear they're quite satisfied with the vet's work