Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Small Mammals - Furry & Cute

Small Mammals - Furry & Cute Home for the small, furry and cute mammals such as bunnies and hamsters

Old 06-24-2009, 08:12 PM
Mamiauww...

shareen_natasha is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to shareen_natasha
Talking How to take care suggies

~BOUT THEM~
Sugar gliders are marsupials that are originally from Australia and can live up to 15 years. They are fun pets for people who have the time and space to provide them with a good home and take care of their basic needs. Sugar gliders aren’t as high-maintenance as some pets, but they do need a particular kind of housing and a special diet.

What Are Sugar Gliders?

The scientific name for Sugar Gliders is Petaurus Breviceps, which is a species of small and tree dwelling marsupial. They are mainly native to countries, including Australia, Indonesia, New Guinea, and Tasmania. Sugar Gliders are known by this name because they are fond of sweet food and, also, they love to glide even from a height. These Sugar Gliders are also known as ‘pocket pets,’ because of the following two reasons. Firstly, they are small in size and, secondly, they like being carried in pockets or pouches. That is why many Sugar Glider owners keep these charming animals in their pockets to carry them wherever they go. These cute little critters are marsupials, which are young ones that are born immature. These immature babies develop in a mother’s punch until they become capable of surviving even without their mother’s body. These pocket pets are approximately 5-6 inches long and weigh around 4-6 ounces.

~SIMPLE STEPS~

Step 1
Allow space for the sugar glider to glide. The cage should be at least 30 inches wide and 36 inches tall in order to allow it plenty of space to roam around and leap through the air. The larger the cage is, the more space the glider will have and the more comfortable he will be. But, as long as his basic need to jump and glide are met, he will get adequate exercise. Get a cage with wire sides to allow the sugar glider to climb. Put a few platforms and ledges inside the cage that will allow the sugar glider a few places to jump from.

Step 2
Feed the sugar glider vegetables, fruits, a protein source and a dry food each day. All three of these components are important parts of a sugar glider’s diet. The fruits and vegetables should be fed in one small portion per day. The protein can be from meat, eggs or from bugs like mealworms. There are various dry foods on the market that are recommended for sugar gliders, but the dry food should not be a dog or cat food. Dry foods formulated for omnivores will generally have the recommended nutrition.

Step 3
Remove uneaten food from the cage after it’s been there for a day. This will prevent the food from growing mold.

Step 4
Keep the sugar glider happy by providing him with plenty of attention. Hold your pet for a little longer each day to get him used to being held. This will socialize him to life with humans. It can take time to form a bond with a sugar glider. After the bond is formed, make sure that you hold him often to keep him from becoming lonely. Some sugar glider owners leave a piece of their clothing inside the cage to keep their scent around their pet as another way to bond.

"`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'

Last edited by shareen_natasha; 06-24-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:18 PM
Mamiauww...

Thumbs up Re: How to take care suggies

The Pet Glider Diet

Ingredients:
(all amounts are approximate, mixture can be altered to suit taste or to make it thinner or thicker.)
~Unsweetened applesauce (1/4 entire mixture should consist of this) approximately 2/3 cup

~Non-fat plain or flavored yogurt approximately 4oz

~Frozen orange juice concentrate (no water added) approximately 3oz

~Wheat germ or ground flax seed, refrigerate! Approximately 1 tbsp

~Raisins, but use moderately (if at all)

~Old fashioned rolled oats (not the quick oats); mix in the oats so your batch isn’t runny but do not make it too thick and pasty (it needs to be quite moist for the gliders’ little pallet) approximately 3/4 cup

~Use the above mixture as a base. Mix the rest of the different fruit or vegetables as followed separate and add to the mixture at the time you feed the glider. This will help give your glider a variety of different fruits and vegetables. Freeze this separate.

~Fresh or frozen vegetables: cucumbers, squash, green bell peppers, chopped carrots and/or sweet potatoes, lima beans, green beans, peas, cauliflower, broccoli. 3/4 cup of 1-2 types of veggies

~Fresh or frozen fruit: papaya, oranges, bananas, strawberries, cantaloupe, grapes, mango, kiwi, peaches, honeydew melon, apple, pineapple, guava. 3/4 cup of 1-2 types of fruit

Directions:
Mix above in a blender or the food processor works well. Does not have to be puréed.

Split mixture into 3 base portions
a. Portion one; add 3 small or medium eggs
b. Portion two; add 3/4 lb. unseasoned, unsalted, broiled shredded chicken or turkey
c. Portion three, leave this plain for the nights you feed mealworms or crickets.

Offer the mixture fresh the first two nights.

Freeze the rest of the mixture in ice cube trays

This little recipe is for the gliders’ fruit and some vegetables. Extra vegetables could be served each night also, either fresh or mixed frozen (Wal-Mart mixed frozen veggies are the best). Do not use any mixtures that contain mostly corn. This recipe can be a stand-alone diet for the evening with no added frozen vegetables if you are out of the frozen veggies.

*Add broiled chicken, eggs, (no seasonings or salt), turkey or mealworms 4-5 nights a week. Live mealworms are a great protein treat but do not offer too many as they are fattening. If your glider tends to gain weight easily or be on the heavy side, give only a few. If your glider seems to stay thin, you can give more.

*Sprinkle with vitamin supplement before serving, use a dash of Multivitamins, Nectar, calcium, & Bee pollen.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'
Old 06-24-2009, 08:28 PM
Mamiauww...

Talking Re: How to take care suggies

Alternate Diet

~1 egg scrambled or boiled and cubed

~1/4 cup of apple juice unsweetened 100% apple juice

~4oz nonfat fruit flavored yogurt
Blend these items well

~5 oz broiled, plain chicken or turkey (do not use any seasoning as garlic, onion, or spices)

~1/4 cup wheat germ

~1/2 cup dry baby cereal rice or oatmeal
Blend these items well

~Use the above mixture as a base and the following as a separate mixture for variety.

~2-3 different steamed/fresh vegetable

~2-3 different fresh fruit

Gatorade may be given 3-4 times per week: change these liquids daily and use filtered water for the fresh water and to mix with your Gatorade. Use fruit flavored Gatorade, mix the granular kind to your glider likings. The flavored fruit mix encourages your glider to drink more liquid. It contains electrolytes, and also contains sucrose, which is a nectar substitute, both very important to him. Avoid feeding anything with preservatives, sugar or color additives. Gliders in the wild eat very low fat diets; in captivity they can become fat and develop health problems. Daily exercise is very important. Exercise helps the bones absorb calcium and stimulates bone thickening. A sizable cage, a running wheel and toys will promote good exercise and a stimulating atmosphere. In addition to these essentials, the best exercise is daily out of cage playtime.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:33 PM
Mamiauww...

Easy Protein Source

2 boiled eggs
2 cups dry human cereal high in protein (Special K, 19, Cheerios)
1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup apple juice

Crush the eggs and the cereal together, mix the honey in and then the apple juice, if too watery by chance add a little more cereal.

One tablespoon per 2 gliders.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:46 PM
Mamiauww...

~MEALWORM~

Meaworms are a great soruce of protein for animals that require or prefer live food such as birds, reptiles, amphibians and mammals both large and small such as hamster, gerbils and sugar gliders

Old 06-24-2009, 09:02 PM
PetFinder Guru

nik_tropicana is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How to take care suggies

take note!!huhuhu...tq kak sha..
Old 06-29-2009, 09:22 PM
Mamiauww...

~HOW TO BONDING UR SUGGIES~

Bonding with your sugar glider is a very rewarding experience.

But it will take time for your sugar glider to learn that he or she can totally trust you.

It will most likely not happen overnight. It can take 1 or 2 months to learn that it can trust you, but you are really in turn earning their trust as they are very smart loving souls.

The first thing that you have to do is to put yourself in that little sugar gliders place. Or try to visualize their world from their size and view of our world that they have been placed into.

Look at your size and picture their little size. Now imagine a HUGE, strange (thing to them) hand coming toward you and try to grab you, You would stand up and scream and do everything you could to keep that hand (thing) from grabbing you and doing who know's what to you!

That is what they are thinking and feeling when they see your strange face looking at them in their pouch that has been changed all of a sudden from what they have known when they wake up one day. The day that you have purchased your first glider(s) to love and care for.

They are scared and should be left alone for the first 2-3 days just to settle in.

They have new scents all of a sudden, new faces, surely not their breeders face that they once knew, and new sounds in their environment.

You can of course feed them, leave on a soft night light until you go to bed so that you can sit quietly and watch your new little pets explore their new life.

You can speak softly and lovingly to them, they may even come just close enough just to get a sense of who this new being is that is talking to them.

They rely on the scent of their surroundings. You will smell weird to them and they will not like it at first. They will make a huge strange and very loud noise called "crabbing" at you and it will scare you and make you feel bad as all you want to do is to let this little animal know that you will not hurt it.

The crabbing noise kind of sounds like an electric pencil sharpener. They will also bark at night, they sound like little mini dogs.

They will also make a "PSST" type of noise. Some people think that the glider is sick when in fact it is a "location" noise to locate other gliders or even their new humans. You can even do it back to them and they will know that it is you.

You will wonder why it is making this awful noise at you when all you want to do is hold it, and assure it that it is safe and loved. But it is only doing this because of being in a strange new place.

Do not bring friends over right away as this will only frighten it more. If you just have to show them something purchase a sugar glider book and read it together and show the pictures as you will have many years to have your new pet meet all of your friends.

You should have the cage pouch hanging inside the cage and the sugar glider will find it and curl up to sleep. This also helps with the first step of the bonding process.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:25 PM
Mamiauww...

~ Information On Diarrea And Sugar Gliders ~

This issue can be caused by many things.
Too much citrus
Lactose Intolerance (using raw milk)
And Gastroenteritis

Gliders that have consistant diarrea (watery poo) can become dehydrated quite quickly and die.
If it lasts any longer than 24 hours you should seek your Vet's help ASAP, this cannot be stressed STRONGLY ENOUGH!
You can give half Pedialyte (name or store brand is fine)and half water to try to counteract the problem, or at least help until you make it to your Doctor.
Grape Flavor Is Highly Accepted.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:20 PM
Mamiauww...

~~Decorations for sugar gliders cage~~

Fleece Wrap Rope

How I did it:

I started with two PVC caps, screwed holes in the top center of them, screwed in metal hooks, then hot glued those onto the ends of a ten foot piece of nylon rope. Next I laid out a six inch wide by ten foot long piece of fleece and folded it in half length wise. I used a rotary cutting blade to cut strips on the open end (cut about two and half inches in, I didn't measure, this is just an estimate). Then I unfolded the fleece and laid the rope in the center length wise, then tied the strips together anround the rope, and I was done.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Mamiauww...

~~~ TOYS FOR SUGGIES ~~~

Pom Pom Rebounder

COCONUT HANG OUT

Last edited by shareen_natasha; 06-29-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Animal Lover

suggie is on a distinguished road

Useful info especially the bonding part.. :D
Any other info..?
Old 10-01-2009, 11:37 PM
Mamiauww...

Quote:
Originally Posted by suggie View Post
Useful info especially the bonding part.. :D
Any other info..?
wil b updated soon.....................

Old 11-20-2009, 01:01 PM
PetFinder Guru

noor22710 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to noor22710

Hye...im thinking to have sugar glider...
soklan nya...

senang ke nak jaga??
berapa lama jangka hayat sugar glider ni ek??umur berapa consider as dewasa sugar glider??
sugar glider ni menggigit tak??
Old 03-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Say Whut? D:

SugarCoatedCandy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shareen_natasha View Post
~~Decorations for sugar gliders cage~~

Hi~ did u ever gotten the permission from the owner of this cage to use this pic?
Old 03-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Pet Nanny

juannasue is on a distinguished road

SugarCoatedCandy!!! miss you la wehh its me 'HelangPTC' (lowyat forum) ...
Old 03-09-2010, 03:34 PM
Say Whut? D:

SugarCoatedCandy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by juannasue View Post
SugarCoatedCandy!!! miss you la wehh its me 'HelangPTC' (lowyat forum) ...
Yes ofc ingat :) kenapa dah tak nampak sgt kat LYN?
Old 08-24-2010, 04:17 PM
Animal Lover

Angelsoo is on a distinguished road

Hi Shareen,

My sis is considering of getting a pair of sugies. Could you advice us on the best way to choose a healthy, suitable sugie. How would we know if the breeder/pet shop is an ethical sugie breeder? We read that some people sold the joey at extremely young age which is bad for the joey health coz it is wean fr it's mother milk too soon. At what age is the best time to purchase them?

Lastly, does a brown or dark grey sugie varied in characteristic or it does not matter? We understand that sugies originated fr Indo, Paupa, Australia etc. Does a sugie fr different region varied in character too?

Hope we didn't trouble you too much with so many questions. We just wanna make sure that we are well informed and throughly understand our future pet b4 making any commitment for next 10years.

Cheers!