Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your cat's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 07-27-2011, 09:56 PM
Animal Lover

NorraAbdullah is on a distinguished road
Default Kittens muntah

Hi Petfinders..

Saya ada 6 ekor kittens umur dalam 3-4 bulan. Semua saya bagi Blackwood kitten.

Lately kucing muntah-muntah kuning. Mula-mula ingatkan sekor, skg tengok dalam 2-3 ekor muntah. Air dorang saya bagi air paip je. Saya takut air kotor, jd skg saya boh air masak.

Bila bawak jumpa vet, vet kata sume sehat takde masalah. Selera makan pun okey. Buntu betul.

Sapa-sapa bole tolong saya?
Old 07-28-2011, 11:20 AM
Animal Lover

khommy24 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kittens muntah

Hi. I had the same problem with my cats when i was feeding blackwood. And then a quick search on the internet gave me some answers. Cats are carnivorous so they are not meant to take plant-based foods such as starch, corn and gluten. some cats show an extreme reaction and start hvg diarrhoea, vomitting etc. If you see Blackwood ingredient composition, it is more heavy on plant based ingredients rather than animal meat. Bau dia pun more like cereal! So since then I switched to Acana and raw diet. So they get one meal Acana prairie/grassland and one meal raw chicken/turkey thigh, heart and liver. I also feed the rib bones for calcium. Dah dua tahun...no problem with poo or vomitting anymore.

Also, have your cats been vaccinated? And yellow-orange vomit is sometimes the gastric juice from the stomach...meaning they're eaither not eating and are getting gastritis or their stomach is over-producing gastric acid due to some stressful condition. if it continues go for a second opinion to another vet. UPM has got some of the best vet doctors.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:42 AM
PetFinder Guru

Felix The Cat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by khommy24 View Post
Hi. I had the same problem with my cats when i was feeding blackwood. And then a quick search on the internet gave me some answers. Cats are carnivorous so they are not meant to take plant-based foods such as starch, corn and gluten. some cats show an extreme reaction and start hvg diarrhoea, vomitting etc. If you see Blackwood ingredient composition, it is more heavy on plant based ingredients rather than animal meat. Bau dia pun more like cereal! So since then I switched to Acana and raw diet. So they get one meal Acana prairie/grassland and one meal raw chicken/turkey thigh, heart and liver. I also feed the rib bones for calcium. Dah dua tahun...no problem with poo or vomitting anymore.

Also, have your cats been vaccinated? And yellow-orange vomit is sometimes the gastric juice from the stomach...meaning they're eaither not eating and are getting gastritis or their stomach is over-producing gastric acid due to some stressful condition. if it continues go for a second opinion to another vet. UPM has got some of the best vet doctors.
Hi Khommy,

I have been a avid user of Blackwood and have so far not encountered any major problems with it. Infact after consuming Blackwood my cats have become plump and is shedding less. Their feaces are nicely formed and less odour compared to whilst I was feeding with Rc and Iams.

For your information, the ingredients used in Blackwood does NOT contained CORN Gluten or any form of grain as you mentioned. Please find below the ingredients taken from Blackwood kitten. As you can see they are using Chicken, Fish, Lamb meat in their products. They also have ground corn but this is used to form the kibbles.

Ingredients
Chicken Meal, Chicken, Rice Flour, Whole Ground Corn, Chicken Fat [Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols (Source of Vitamin E)and Citric Acid], Dried Plain Beet Pulp (Sugar Removed), Dried Whole Eggs, Herring Fish Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Natural Flavors, Lecithin, Lamb Meal, Fish Oil, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Poultry Liver Meal, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Taurine, Natural Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Garlic, Ascorbic Acid (Source of Vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vegetable Oil, Thiamine Mononitrate, Boitin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Citric Acid, Menadione Dimethylypyrimidinol Bisulfate (Source of Vitamin D3), Folic Acid, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate.

If you compare Blackwood Ingredients to RC and IAMS you can see that RC and IAMS are using a lot of grain and of course Corn Gluten. Corn Gluten is known as starch and this is used to act as fillers. So when your cat eats the food, it will make your cat feel full a lot faster.

Just my two cents.

Felix The Cat - Dee wonderful wonderful cat!
http://felixthecats.weebly.com
http://livinginmyworld-phyllis.blogspot.com/
Old 07-28-2011, 11:55 AM
hafiz90

hafiz90 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by khommy24 View Post

Harap maklum ye...... blackwood tidak mengandungi gluten corn meal, tapi hanya ground corn sahaja yg digunakan sebagai bahan utk membentuk cat food itu. kalau x percaya tengok di atas tu kak nurul dah letakkan apa kandungan Blackwood kitten.......
Old 07-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Animal Lover

khommy24 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix The Cat View Post
Hi Khommy,

I have been a avid user of Blackwood and have so far not encountered any major problems with it. Infact after consuming Blackwood my cats have become plump and is shedding less. Their feaces are nicely formed and less odour compared to whilst I was feeding with Rc and Iams.

For your information, the ingredients used in Blackwood does NOT contained CORN Gluten or any form of grain as you mentioned. Please find below the ingredients taken from Blackwood kitten. As you can see they are using Chicken, Fish, Lamb meat in their products. They also have ground corn but this is used to form the kibbles.

Ingredients
Chicken Meal, Chicken, Rice Flour, Whole Ground Corn, Chicken Fat [Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols (Source of Vitamin E)and Citric Acid], Dried Plain Beet Pulp (Sugar Removed), Dried Whole Eggs, Herring Fish Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Natural Flavors, Lecithin, Lamb Meal, Fish Oil, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Poultry Liver Meal, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Taurine, Natural Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Garlic, Ascorbic Acid (Source of Vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vegetable Oil, Thiamine Mononitrate, Boitin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Citric Acid, Menadione Dimethylypyrimidinol Bisulfate (Source of Vitamin D3), Folic Acid, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate.

If you compare Blackwood Ingredients to RC and IAMS you can see that RC and IAMS are using a lot of grain and of course Corn Gluten. Corn Gluten is known as starch and this is used to act as fillers. So when your cat eats the food, it will make your cat feel full a lot faster.

Just my two cents.
Thanks Felix. As i said, some cats have severe reaction to corn, starch and gluten. If you read my reply above, you will see that i said gluten, corn and generally grains are not for cats (including rice). I did not say they were necessarily all found in Blackwood. And i agree with you that RC and Iams are even worse, which is why I never suggested either one. In any case, corn, ground or not is not food for a carnivore. And it being the 4th ingredient means it is present in substantial amounts. Perhaps your cats are lucky they can tolerate blackwood. My 5 cats over time developed dietary problems that hv never cropped up once I made the switch from Blackwood to Acana+raw. Acana and Orijen hv both been developed to mimic a cat's natural diet and that perhaps explains why they are better tolerated by my cats' digestive system. Just my two cents too
Old 11-18-2011, 09:57 AM
Animal Lover

AzeaF is on a distinguished road

dear cat lover....

saya rasa blackwood ada grain... it is not GRAIN free food...

brown rice also grains...

normally diorng letak corn or brown rice utk tambah kandungan protein dan juga sbg filler...

tetapi kucing kita carnivore yg memerlukan sumber protein dari HAIWAN, bukan dari tumbuhuhan...

saya rasa your cat allergy to grain... maybe... saya tak tahu or maybe u tukar food dia drastik sgt....
you should introduce gradually...

just my 2cents
Old 11-19-2011, 01:35 AM
Animal Lover

AlexThen is on a distinguished road

Dear NorraAbdullah,

why dont u try mix it with Royal canin for kitten.. i think its should be ok after that... i do it to my kitten before. Same situation.

For me i dun like to give my kitten just a blackwood after the incidence.. i will mix it with RC or Orejin... so far all my cat having no problem after that...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Twinkl...09772235798582