Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Fish & Aquariums

Fish & Aquariums For the underwater enthusiasts

Old 11-05-2008, 05:16 PM
Animal Lover

peeG is on a distinguished road
Red face Tortoises!

ok, i don't know what tortoise classifies under, so i guess its under "aquariums?!" . xD

anyway. i have two tortoises, my friend got me one (male) about 2-3years ago? and another (female) few months later. supposedly one is a male and one is a female, but i'm not really sure as i have no idea how to identify their genders, sometimes i feel that they are both males! okay so, i usually feed them "pallets" from pet shop coz i'm not really sure what veggie they eat! i know lar, so stoopid right? as a owner. HAHA. BUT, i know of 2-3 ppl who tortoises dies after a few months kay! i wonder what they did wrong -_-, they made it sound as if the tortoise is so fragile while looking after mine was a breeze! anyway the "male" one is about hand size now and the "female" is palm size! and they live in a "storage box", currently looking for a bigger sized one as they are growing bigger by the day. oh! and should i put the water level below their shells, above, or wayyyy above? and one more thing, they have really LONG nails, im wondering should i leave them be or cut them shorter? if so, what do i cut it with and how? cuz i dont wanna hurt them! hmm.

so er, does anyone here have tortoises? mind sharing some tips or advice? maybe even pictures!

thanks in advance! i'll upload them pictures of my tortoises soon!

Last edited by peeG; 11-05-2008 at 05:26 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Puppet Master~

chemonk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tortoises!

i think tortoise classified in reptile group.. hurmm not sure also where this family belongs to... my HQ office in kl also got tortoise.. they put inside the aquarium with water level until half of their shell.. can put water full also but make sure put some big stone inside the aquarium for landing purposes. i think no need to cut the nail as i think no specific equipment used for cutting tortoise's nails. can also ask petshop whether they sell those or not coz i also not so sure about this. later if i go to my HQ i'll get some of our company tortoise pictures.. hehehehe
Old 11-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Animal Lover

ahh ic! thanks for your reply! er may i ask, what do they feed the tortoise? hmm. i wanna cut the nails cuz it looks like its out of place you know, when you see them walking the nail sometimes bends, it looks as if it hurts ><! or maybe it doesnt?

well, i cant find my plug connecting my camera to my comp, but i do have a picture of them when they were about a few months old, here it is..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01821.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	1681  
Old 11-06-2008, 09:47 AM
Puppet Master~

i oso donno what they feed that guys overthere... but i think.. if you're shortage of tortoise food (buy from petshop) sure can feed them with white bread... they are omnivore creature right? no need to supply them with meat.. hihi
Old 11-06-2008, 09:57 AM
PetFinder Guru

nik_tropicana is on a distinguished road

dlu time skolah ade bela kura2...bela dlm bekas plastik isi minyak masak 5 liter tu..then telentangkn bekas tu n wat lubang..(ala2 wat akuarium guna botol air masa kemahiran hidup dlu2)...time tu minat sangat ngan kura2 tapi duit xde...so bg mkn isi ikan kembung yang dicincang..xpun klu musim hujan, g padang kat taman cari berudu yang kaler coklat (bukan yg kaler hitam) bg kura2 tu makan..last2 kura2 tu kitaorg adik beradik lepaskn kat sungai di kampung...
Old 11-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Vivien Wuz Ere

Location: Earth - where every human beings have to live together with animals
vivienlpl is on a distinguished road

i have 3 turtles too......

from 50 cents coin
now become like one big piece of rock hahahhaa

their diet consist of kangkung and cabbage

i dont feed them pellet anymore because it makes them grow even more like a monster hahaaha

there are more than 15 years already
i cannot tell which is male or female but some people said turn your turtle and you can see from the pattern mark..

they spend most of their time stacking up one of each other..
at times they love to swim..
at times i just leave them at the porch for roaming...but they dont end up together..one north, south / east or west...

my turtle eats kind of lot.
the moment the lights are on 630pm
the whole container will start rocking and they make sound asking me WHERE IS MY FOOD?????

after eating - then everything turn into silent....
i need to wash the swimming pool everyday because its very dirty with their shit hahahaa
their shits are good for fertilizer for plants

no wonder the flowers and leaves all fat fat....
thanks to my turtle murky green shits hahaha
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vivienturtle1.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	1683   Click image for larger version

Name:	vivienturtle2.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	1684  

Last edited by vivienlpl; 11-06-2008 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:42 PM
Animal Lover

che,
oh yea.. white bread! i saw some kids feeding bread to the tortoises in the Bukit Kiara park before.

nik,
O_O minyak masak?! kenapa nak guna tu? woah. kura2 makan berudu! tapi kenapa mesti kaler coklat? hitam ade bisa ke? haha, lepas kat sungai krn dah sangat besar??

viv,
50 cent coin and you got 3 turtles?! haha, cool!! mine i think was about 10+ or less! hmm, kangkung or cabbage.. how much do they usually eat? im feeding them pellets at the moment, once a day. 15years! woah! that is huge! didnt they get baby tortoises or something? xD!! anyway, how big is your container and where you get it? i cant find a BIG container anywhere! i want them to have a LOT of space! haha.
i heard about the pattern thing, but i still don't see the difference.. like exactly how to identify and all. ohh, i guess they stack up each other cuz they want dry land once in a while?

i wanna leave them roaming too, but they are still small compared to yours, so hard to spot -.- i don't wan them to end up missing! haha, one nearly went missing once, i tried using those fountain pots to keep them, next morning the bigger one ain't in there anymore.. but soon after my cousin found him under the fish tank xD!

everyday huh? i wash my container about once a week or sometimes two weeks. or till it gets stinky! haha, i'm lazy ><! swimming pool? you mean those baby pools? you keep them there?
shit as fertelizer! haha nice. you water the plants with the shit water? is it??

haha! anyway. pretty tortoises! :P oh btw, your tortoises, the nails are short! did you cut them?? with what?? my tortoises, which are like less then 3 years old has SUPER LONG nailss!!
Old 11-06-2008, 02:49 PM
PetFinder Guru

nik_tropicana is on a distinguished road

peeG, time tu saya sekolah rendah, no cash money to buy aquarium..so need some creative idea to make a bowl..hehehe...berudu yang kaler coklat tu dari katak tapi berudu yang kaler hitam plak da kodok/katak puru (if i not mistake la)..hehehehe..yup, lepas kura2 tu kat sungai sebab da besar..
Old 11-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Animal Lover

This is their recent photos taken yesterday (5thNov2008)

Front one; Female. Back one; Male. "supposedly."

Front (on rock); Male. Back; Female.

This is the male! Look at the front NAILS, so longg!

The male is bigger than the female, cause its older by a few months.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:02 PM
Puppet Master~

i heard rumor said that.. if you're seeing tortoise manage to cross the road safely... you can ask for no ekor.. the no. will appear on the shell... chihihihi... later i'll kidnap my company tortoise and put it beside damansara road... see can survive or not crossing such road... ahahahahahahahahah... just kidding..
Old 11-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Animal Lover

nik, ic, haha creative sangat bagi budak sekolah rendah tu :P i guna container storage box, beli dari JUSCO xD. tapi tak cukup tempat bagi kura2 i jalan sini sana :( kaler coklat dgn hitam x leh sangat tengok beza la tu, nanti bagi makan yang salah x baik kan? hahhaa.

che, haha so mean! kesian the tortoise la. but i've never seen number on it before. i wont even dare to let it out the road! cuz its still small, so cars cannot see it, and they walk quite fast cuz of their size, not really "slow" as tortoises should be, if you get what i mean xD! so later run away not good la right? hahaa!

Last edited by peeG; 11-06-2008 at 03:05 PM. Reason: type
Old 11-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Vivien Wuz Ere

peeG,

my 50 cent was the shape when i first bought them..
i still remembered that on the day itself i finally decided that i need to buy them - I walked in the dark for about 5km after realizing my usual night market uncle never come End result - my parents grounded me the whole week hahaha for this 3 turtles because i suddenly feel that i need to get these turtles......i paid almost RM7 (my pocket money all gone) for this 3 turtles

i got three at first but then 1 died - how? i bought the special turtle container got bridge and one coconut plastic tree ....one turn turtle. i came back from school then - KO liao

so i added another one...this time i put them into a aquarium container..
feed pellet....fatter..grown so fast less than a month..... - they start to look huge like a pau then..so must stop feeding pellet..... so i started to give them kangkung. You should see the way they open their mouth crunching the leaves..... they love it! When they are small - my turtles - one will end up in my bedroom, one in the toilet and one in the kitchen

Now i put them in a huge container - where i got it hhhmmm with rollers - i cannot remember hahaha.... ikea do have big container but i still find it a bit swallow and not deep enough....... turtles can escape one...when they do stacking up..i encountered once 1 of turtle head appeared and i was like so shock to see it trying to escape!

yes i have to wash them everyday because they are so huge already and if i dont - its stink hahaa... all dirty green waste........once a week - their green waste will go to the plants

my turtles dont have short nails, long and sharp.....im used in carrying them...they scratches me many times - got use to the scar here and there......you get use to it - turn them around...soft pat their bottom a bit...then they stop moving then quickly place them back into the container - that's the trick haha

When you wash them, gentle brush their shell, they love the brushing sensation...

how much they eat, my 3 turtles eat like one round container (medim size) every day. I used to feed them in the morning but now i skip - i only feed them once per day - i find them - they are the luckiest turtle on earth. Their diet is kangkung or cabbage or both mix.

The one i have here is actually turtle and not tortoise - brazilian turtle

tortoise is the one you can get brown hard shell - that does not need water;
mine need water - so they are the ninja turtles... . They do swimming one
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN5783.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1689   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5784.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1690   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5785.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1691  

Last edited by vivienlpl; 11-06-2008 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:00 AM
PetFinder Guru

BellXun is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Tortoises!

WAAAA tortise/ turtles... sooooooo cute~!!!.

I wann one~~~~~.... so nice so nice~. If i have one now I scare my dog will eat the turles. hahaha.. I remember I had a 50 cent size turtle when I am young.. feed cabbage... but rare for about one year... become almost palm side.. both also died... I was primary school... cried and burry him & her in the garden. so sad. We still dont know the cause of death. hiah.

I think u should cut his/her nails abit la. see the photos. sooo long. just use normal human nail cutter i guess its ok... dont cut too much... cut little bit of the edge will do... actually u can choose to not cut at all... animals usualy addapts to theier enviroment...so that they wont scratch themself everytime they walk. hehe.

Good luck with them.

:) cute~
Old 11-07-2008, 01:43 PM
Animal Lover

viv, haha ic, mis-intepreted! sorry! xD well i still dont really get the difference between tortoises and turtles! and someone told me before mine are teraphines? or something? haha. blur! but yeaa! next time i'll start feeding my BABIES veggie when they grow bigger :P! they r stacking up each other on the rock now, almost can climb out already. :0!!

bell, a few of my friends had them before and they passed away a few months after! i even have this one friend who bought them, and then it dies after a month and buys another one and the same thing happened again for a few times! she was heart broken, and jealous cuz mine lived so long :P but yea. on and off they do ask me "so is your tortoises still alive?" xD so mean right. haha! bell you should go get yourself some baby tortoises :P :P they r adorable! :) and they dont make noise! hehee.

yea but i dont think i can hold their "hands" still for my to cut! so im afraid i'll accidentally hurt them or something. >_<"
Old 11-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Animal Lover

Ferreted is an unknown quantity at this point

i had turtles before.. lots of them.. one thing for sure is that if they see their friend die in front of them, they will lose the will to live and go miserable, eventually just stop eating and die.. so if it happens to your turtles.. GASP!

there are some pellets that are supposed to keep them small (retard ppl!!) but they are just malnutritioned food. hehehe they eat all sorts of stuff, just give them nutrition, really good pellets and veggies (and mozzies in my case ^^)

i used to catch a lot of mosquitoes for them to eat, hehehe then the one that eat mst of it turn black in shell colour... ehehehe... i know they also like sunbathing so much, awww....

when sunbathing them careful later ganna snatched by cats/rats hohoho..
Old 11-07-2008, 03:03 PM
PetFinder Guru

filinlee is on a distinguished road

cute little tortoise... with long nails... eheheh
Old 11-08-2008, 03:27 AM
PetFinder Guru

BellXun is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Tortoises!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeG View Post
viv, haha ic, mis-intepreted! sorry! xD well i still dont really get the difference between tortoises and turtles! and someone told me before mine are teraphines? or something? haha. blur! but yeaa! next time i'll start feeding my BABIES veggie when they grow bigger :P! they r stacking up each other on the rock now, almost can climb out already. :0!!

bell, a few of my friends had them before and they passed away a few months after! i even have this one friend who bought them, and then it dies after a month and buys another one and the same thing happened again for a few times! she was heart broken, and jealous cuz mine lived so long :P but yea. on and off they do ask me "so is your tortoises still alive?" xD so mean right. haha! bell you should go get yourself some baby tortoises :P :P they r adorable! :) and they dont make noise! hehee.

yea but i dont think i can hold their "hands" still for my to cut! so im afraid i'll accidentally hurt them or something. >_<"

Haha, they dont make noise. thats an interesting fact.
Adding to that they dont claw me alive, dont bite my socks, dont bite me, dont go phyco and run around knocking things over, dont bite my guests, dont yelp real loud when i leave her alone, dont be picky on their food, dont shit and pee everywhere on the floor stairs celling etc, they dont bark at mirrows all the time, they dont do the jumping-bite & jumping-claw combo to you. and most imprtantly 'they dont make noise~'. Yeah!~ Thats about it. hehehehe. I wanna swap my puppy for turtle. kekeke. or feed my puppy to turtles. XP

Do u guys know where can i find one(turtles)? Last time pasar pagi sells them, now besides buying from pet shop, anywhere I can get them from? Try not to ask me go into the river or forest and catch. kekeke
Old 11-11-2008, 10:53 AM
Fast & Furry

CatMother is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Tortoises!

Juz to share my "tortoise" story in here with everybody.

True, cannot really differentiate whether they are male or female - tried to "check" the pattern marks but still couldn't tell hehe. I've got 2 tortoise - Toty & Tito. Toty is 4yro & Tito is 1.5yro. But Tito has grown bigger than Toty - odd though coz I've been feeding them with same food! That's how I can tell who is who.

Anyways, I juz bought a larger plastic tank for both of them - I used to keep them in separate tank but hoping that I could breed tortoise & keep them together (although not sure of their gender! haha). You can keep them in a normal plastic container - water level should be below their shell. Otherwise, put a stone/brick for landing spot. (Last night i bought 2pcs of wooden log from a petshop in Desa Pandan - RM3/each)

Yes, can feed them with kangkung also - in fact they love it! I feed them 2x a day - but if i forgot to feed them, they will start "digging" the pebbles and making noise! Otherwise, there's a economy pack palette (i think around <>RM20) that lasted up to >6 months!

Oh, I juz found out last night that you can also use the filter - so that you don't have to clean the aquarium every now & them. I change the 3x a week - kalau tidak... busyuk!! Hehe. Also, i will clean their shell using a toothbrush - coz it will be sticky & dirty from time to time.

You might hear "hissing" sound coming from them sometimes - hehe. All in all, try communicating with them - juz like other pets. Oh, one more thing - i heard people say be careful not to let them bite your hand etc. coz they won't let go easily! Dunno whether it's true but hey, not worth taking the risk leh!

::the 3d clanz::
Everything happens for a reason
Old 11-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Vivien Wuz Ere

aww another tortoise/turtle owner cool! thanks for sharing
small cute hor - now big they look like monster hahaa

your last part - if they bite - i think its true but i dont want to try haha
i am sure they wont let you go - so dont ever think of trying
but mostly before you put your finger near them, they retreat back - hiding...

my one at times will run away and believe me they are kind of fast!