Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies

Dogs & Puppies General information and discussions on taking care of your canine buddy

Old 12-26-2010, 08:18 AM
Animal Lover

kc1506 is on a distinguished road
Angry Is it necessary to silence a dog

Recently I heard a dog barking with hoarse voice as if it is down with a bad sore throat at a pet shop in Puchong. The groomer told me that these are the show dogs owned by the owner and it is a standard requirement for the show dogs not to bark loudly, therefore they all underwent a surgery to make the voice very low. How inhuman. First of all if it is the standard then we should remove that standard. Next the vets please dont entertain all sorts of request from customers just for fast cash. Have a heart
Old 12-26-2010, 08:55 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is it necessary to silence a dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc1506 View Post
Recently I heard a dog barking with hoarse voice as if it is down with a bad sore throat at a pet shop in Puchong. The groomer told me that these are the show dogs owned by the owner and it is a standard requirement for the show dogs not to bark loudly, therefore they all underwent a surgery to make the voice very low. How inhuman. First of all if it is the standard then we should remove that standard. Next the vets please dont entertain all sorts of request from customers just for fast cash. Have a heart
Hi, kc1506 --

Out of curiosity, what breed were these dogs?

I've never heard of any such show standard. I know that in the US, following the standards of the American Kennel Club (AKC), any dog that had been surgically altered would be immediately disqualified! The point of showing dogs is to select the best examples of each breed. If you're breeding dogs with an unwanted behaviour (such as excessive barking), then you're not improving the breed, you're degrading it. If you have a dog that barks compulsively and disruptively, why on earth breed it??

Beagles, for example, tend to bark a lot. This is because they were originally bred to track wild rabbits, with hunters in pursuit. Their barking helped the hunters to follow them. Because of this, show judges expect beagles to 'give voice'. They understand that it's part of the breed's nature. Unfortunately for the many people who find beagles adorable housepets, this constant barking is not so pleasant. I've heard of some desperate beagle owners, not wanting to give up their pets, asking vets to perform this 'de-bark' surgery. For them, it was their last hope of being able to keep the dog. I think this highlights the importance of learning about dog breeds before rushing out to buy a cute puppy. Do your homework! Buy a beagle = get a barker.

I'll be interested to hear what people who have shown dogs in Malaysia have to say about your experience. I agree with you completely -- this should not be a show standard, nor even a common practice.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:11 PM
PetFinder Guru

Marcelleve is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Marcelleve Send a message via Yahoo to Marcelleve Send a message via Skype™ to Marcelleve
Default Re: Is it necessary to silence a dog

I agree with Mane kineko - Amanda.

Actually one of the qualifications included not neutered or spayed 'coz they wanted to see its breeding , discipline and health.
Well- here in Malaysia humane law is not applied since pet owners themselves wanted it as long as the dog looks cuter and less barking but dog shows standard only approve tail docking for sporting or working dogs to upgrade their capability and against brushing their tail to obstacles that might hurt them.
Debarking is a procedure of cutting or scarring a dog's vocal cords. A cosmetic surgery for a dog is not allowed in dog show and it is banned by humane law but some countries allow it unless the dog causes complaint and problems to neighbors (disturbance of peace) , dogs should be under anesthesia.
Pet owners should look what their lifestyles can offer. There are breed of dogs that are naturally stubborn and there are dogs that naturally kept barking same as cats. There are breeds that are stubborn, have demands and very noisy cats. The breeding of dogs/cats should meet the quality standard.

The dogs are group by their natural purposes and instincts since it is a great factor for their personality unlike cats are in general, coat and their own temperament.

The standard breeding is divided this way for dogs.

7 group of dog breed standards:
1. Sporting - These dogs were bred to hunt game birds both on land and in the water. The breeds in this group include Pointers, Retrievers, Setters and Spaniels.

2.Hounds - These breeds were bred for hunting other game by sight or scent. These breeds include such dogs as Beagles, Bassets, Dachshunds and Greyhounds.

3.Working - These dogs were bred to pull carts, guard property and perform search and rescue services. Among the breeds in this group are the Akita, Boxer, Doberman Pinscher and St. Bernard.

4. Terrier - This group includes breeds such as the Airedale, Cairn Terrier and Scottish Terrier. Terriers were bred to rid property of vermin such as rats.

5. Toy - These dogs were bred to be household companions. This group includes little dogs such as the Chihuahua, Maltese, Pomeranian and Pug.

6. Non-Sporting - This diverse group includes the Chow Chow, Bulldog, Dalmatian and Poodle. These dogs vary in size and function, and many are considered companion dogs.

7. Herding - These dogs were bred to help shepherds and ranchers herd their livestock. The Briard, Collie, German Shepherd Dog and Old English Sheepdog are some of the breeds in this group.

Numbers 1,2,7 are naturally barkers.
Spaniels or Retrievers must look for the bird after the hunter shoots it down in far distance... then their dogs retrieve it back to their trainers/owners and some gave a short abrupt bark when they find it before retrieving it to their owner. Most of the times, the judges in dog show clocked the dog which is the fastest and which dog can find most.
While hounds can look for fox or rabbit to hunt them down and gave it to their owners.

Police dogs are mostly German Shepherd who are trained to search (drugs, missing person or dead body) & grab a suspect. They bark if they found something/someone or they identify a suspect or give a signal to their trainer.
Logically, why would I pet a sporting dog if I live in urban homes especially in an apartment? Why would I go for hounds, beagle or Pekingese if I don't have time to train them? Hounds or beagles are sweet loving and loyal but known to have a stubborn personality and quite a demanding dog. They rather be doing a hunting game or play with you and if something caught their attention they want you to know and will rattle the whole household to seize your attention - well that includes your neighbor.
To silence a dog is very inhumane and selfish act. It is not the dog's fault that they are in a wrong place and in a wrong time to bark.

Last edited by Marcelleve; 12-26-2010 at 03:10 PM.