Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > PetFinder Lounge > Tech & Computers

Tech & Computers For the tech guy or gal. Find help on your computers and os or other techie stuff.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:32 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation
Default Samsung Galaxy Tab vs. the iPad: Compare For Yourself

Everyone in mind just had iPad, see how the powerful of Samsung Galaxy Tab
http://galaxytab.samsungmobile.com/
Powered by Android Operating System 2.2
http://source.android.com/index.html

add some
Release from Wiki
[edit] Africa
On 5 November 2010, Etisalat Nigeria became the first cellular network in Africa to launch the Galaxy Tab.[21]

On 6th December 2010, Vodafone Ghana launched the Galaxy Tab

[edit] Asia
The Samsung Galaxy Tab has been released in Indonesia and Thailand without contract and in Malaysia under contract by Maxis.

While in the Philippines under contract by Smart.

Under contract with NTT Docomo in Japan.

[edit] Australia
The Samsung Galaxy Tab was released on November 8, 2010. It is available without a contract from Harvey Norman, and under contract from Telstra, Optus and VHA.[22]

[edit] Brazil
The Samsung Galaxy Tab was released in Brazil on November 26, 2010. Brazilian version seems to have a better speed, the processor runs @ 1.2GHz and it has support for Analog TV and Digital SBTVD.

[edit] Europe
The Samsung Galaxy Tab was released in Germany on October 11, 2010. The UK version of the Tab was released on November 1, 2010.

[edit] Middle East
The Samsung Galaxy Tab has been officially released in the Middle east in Dubai's GITEX Shopper the largest gathering of the region’s leading ICT retailers and suppliers.

[edit] India
Samsung had launched the Galaxy tab in October.

[edit] United States
The Galaxy tab has been released in the US from T-Mobile USA, Sprint, AT&T and Verizon. As of November 22, 2010 the U.S. Cellular and the WiFi-only version of the Galaxy Tab have not been released.

T-Mobile USA started offering the Galaxy Tab on November 10.[23]

Sprint started offering the Galaxy Tab on November 14.[citation needed]

Verizon's version of the Galaxy Tab has a black back, as opposed to the standard white rear of the T-Mobile, Sprint, and AT&T versions.

AT&T began offering the Tab on November 21 with no contract requirement.[24]

The FCC approved a WiFi only version of the Galaxy Tab.[25] Some Best Buy advertisements appear to have been prematurely leaked about the WiFi only version of the Galaxy Tab.[26]

[edit] Sales
The Samsung Galaxy Tab sold around 600,000 units in the first seven days of being launched.[27] On the 4th of December, it was reported that the 1 millions mark was reached, two months after being launched.[28]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	204779-chart-galaxy-ipad-2_original.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	10462  

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.

Last edited by dog is my buddy; 12-16-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:55 AM
Founder, PetFinder.my

AndyKoh has disabled reputation
Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab vs. the iPad: Compare For Yourself

So which one do you have, Clement.. or you have both, one for you and one for your Ricky, Rusty and Rocky to share?

You know, the Veggie Samurai game on iPad even have a "Pet mode" for your dog to play, although I doubt any sane human would actually let their dog scratch madly at the iPad to cut vegetables hahaha... ( http://itunes.apple.com/my/app/veggi...379744292?mt=8 )

Google is also now beta-testing their Chrome notebooks that run their Chrome OS with cloud computing. I tested out many of their Chrome apps, and ironically many apps imitated the look-and-feel of the iPad versions hehe... i.e. NYTimes and Amazon Windowshop.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:08 AM
PetFinder Guru

adrianng87 is on a distinguished road

Wow, thanks for sharing, dog is my buddy.

Certainly the Samsung Galaxy tab does more than Apple as they still can't get along with Adobe Flash. Furthermore, to enable the pad to make phone calls is already making it the leading one.

I've played that Veggie Samurai game on iPhone! I wonder how pets will understand the slashing. He he he...
Old 12-17-2010, 01:08 AM
PetFinder Moderator

Andy,I not yet decide to order it. Yesterday when take a look demo iPad at harvey norman penang. Look it is great product and easy to use. I waiting the Samsung Galaxy Tab coming, see isnt good as review.The download and search internet very fast too from iPad.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:12 AM
PetFinder Moderator

Adrian,
Welcome. Adobe Flash very important for internet. Too bad this ipad cannot use as mobile phone. Miss one this function.
The Samsung Galaxy Tab look like can use as mobile phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianng87 View Post
Wow, thanks for sharing, dog is my buddy.

Certainly the Samsung Galaxy tab does more than Apple as they still can't get along with Adobe Flash. Furthermore, to enable the pad to make phone calls is already making it the leading one.

I've played that Veggie Samurai game on iPhone! I wonder how pets will understand the slashing. He he he...

Old 12-17-2010, 01:18 AM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianng87 View Post
I just hope the dog doesn't pee on the iPad in frustration haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog is my buddy View Post
Andy,I not yet decide to order it. Yesterday when take a look demo iPad at harvey norman penang. Look it is great product and easy to use. I waiting the Samsung Galaxy Tab coming, see isnt good as review.The download and search internet very fast too from iPad.
If you like gaming or quick reading, then iPad definitely gives you a smooth and fun experience, with some 50,000+ iPad apps to choose from, or 380,000+ if you count the iPhone ones as well. I use it mostly to read news, magazines and play some games (I like the adventure & rpg style ones hehe).. I find that it's great and comfortable for media consumption, but not for creation (i.e. word processing, image editing) which still performs best on computers and laptops. For long, serious reading, Kindle is still the best as it doesn't cause any glare or strain your eyes, and is way lighter than the iPad.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:55 AM
PetFinder Guru

Yeap, Adobe Flash is indeed a very important software. Apple just won't work closely with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog is my buddy View Post
Adrian,
Welcome. Adobe Flash very important for internet. Too bad this ipad cannot use as mobile phone. Miss one this function.
The Samsung Galaxy Tab look like can use as mobile phone.

Devices from Apple somehow have this good smooth scrolling better than any other touch screen devices, playing games with an iPad sure gives a superb impression. Can't wait to try the Samsung Galaxy Tab!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKoh View Post
If you like gaming or quick reading, then iPad definitely gives you a smooth and fun experience, with some 50,000+ iPad apps to choose from, or 380,000+ if you count the iPhone ones as well. I use it mostly to read news, magazines and play some games (I like the adventure & rpg style ones hehe).. I find that it's great and comfortable for media consumption, but not for creation (i.e. word processing, image editing) which still performs best on computers and laptops. For long, serious reading, Kindle is still the best as it doesn't cause any glare or strain your eyes, and is way lighter than the iPad.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:03 PM
PetFinder Guru

Hi all,

Look at this video about Galaxy's interactive project together with Vondafone.

Link to video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO2Sn...layer_embedded
Old 12-22-2010, 07:56 PM
Gentle Giant

Coony is on a distinguished road

If I know about the Galaxy Tablet earlier I wud have bought 1 ipad instead of 2. Then I cud have fun with 2 different pad of different feature in them. Now look like I have to live with the ipad only. I still can't figure out how to download movies anyone have any idea how it is done??

Best Maine Coon Cattery in CFA ID Asia/LA since 2004
The only Maine Coon cattery with 3 DM, 3 Top Ten MCO National & produce the most GC/GP (30) & DW (12) in CFA ID Asia/LA
Old 12-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Hi Jimmy,

There are 3 common ways to get movies onto your iPad.

1) Purchase and download them via iTunes on your PC / iPad.

2) Download your own movies via computer (usually in formats like Divx, Xvid, RM etc), then install iPad apps like VLC Player, CineXPlayer or OPlayer and transfer over these files to the app's documents folder to play them. You won't be able to store many movies in the iPad though as the file size would be relatively huge as these are formats for computer and not mobile device playback.

3) Install an iPad app like Air Display, and the corresponding Air Video Server on your PC. Then configure Air Video Server to read your movie files on the computer, and it would convert and broadcast the movie over to your iPad's Air Display app via wifi. You won't need to waste storage space on iPad, but it might be a bit laggy if your PC is slow, in which case you would need to have Air Video Server pre-convert the movie first instead of dynamically converting and playing on the fly.

Btw, since you have 2 iPads, you can use it to play various multi-player games that support it, like car racing, board games (i.e. Uno, Scrabble, Monopoly), etc
Old 12-23-2010, 03:16 PM
PetFinder Guru

Marcelleve is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Marcelleve Send a message via Yahoo to Marcelleve Send a message via Skype™ to Marcelleve
Thumbs up Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab vs. the iPad: Compare For Yourself

Hi Y'all,

Thanks for the info.
I can't keep my mind of with either those 2. When iPad arrived, my husband was all over it and I'm a girl, I prefer smaller so when I saw Samsung Galaxy tab, I got so excited. iPad is just an additional weight,too.
You know girls got make-up, h/p and some even got sunblock or lotion (LOL) the perks in our bag..

Thank you again.
Best Regards,
Eve
Old 12-23-2010, 03:22 PM
Gentle Giant

Quote:
Hi Jimmy,

There are 3 common ways to get movies onto your iPad.

1) Purchase and download them via iTunes on your PC / iPad.

Thanks Andy,

From where do you locate movies for download?

2) Download your own movies via computer (usually in formats like Divx, Xvid, RM etc), then install iPad apps like VLC Player, CineXPlayer or OPlayer and transfer over these files to the app's documents folder to play them. You won't be able to store many movies in the iPad though as the file size would be relatively huge as these are formats for computer and not mobile device playback.

How do you download movies from your DVD to the computer, do you need any particular software to do so? My idea of having some saved movies in my ipad is to pass time while on the travel. If I want to have more movies I can save them in my eternal drive which I actually can, isn't it?

3) Install an iPad app like Air Display, and the corresponding Air Video Server on your PC. Then configure Air Video Server to read your movie files on the computer, and it would convert and broadcast the movie over to your iPad's Air Display app via wifi. You won't need to waste storage space on iPad, but it might be a bit laggy if your PC is slow, in which case you would need to have Air Video Server pre-convert the movie first instead of dynamically converting and playing on the fly.

I will try the 2nd application first before I attempt with this.

Btw, since you have 2 iPads, you can use it to play various multi-player games that support it, like car racing, board games (i.e. Uno, Scrabble, Monopoly), etc

Multi player through 3G/wifi or Bluetooth.

The only Maine Coon cattery with 3 DM, 3 Top Ten MCO National & produce the most GC/GP (30) & DW (12) in CFA ID Asia/LA
Old 12-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Hi Jimmy,

1) From where do you locate movies for download?

In your computer's iTunes program, go to the iTunes Store, and there are sections for Movies, Music, etc. You can purchase the movies from there, which would then be downloaded to your PC and sync to your iPad. Or, you can run the iTunes app on your iPad and do the purchase & download directly.

2) How do you download movies from your DVD to the computer, do you need any particular software to do so? My idea of having some saved movies in my ipad is to pass time while on the travel. If I want to have more movies I can save them in my eternal drive which I actually can, isn't it?

If you already have existing DVDs, you will need to find a video converter software like WinAVI Converter (or any other DVD to AVI converter) that rips and converts it to common PC formats like AVI, which would then be playable by the iPad softwares I mentioned.

3) Multi player through 3G/wifi or Bluetooth.

It'd be via Wifi and/or Bluetooth, depending on the application, so it allows multiple iPads to play together or challenge each other.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:04 PM
PetFinder Guru

Marcelleve is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Marcelleve Send a message via Yahoo to Marcelleve Send a message via Skype™ to Marcelleve
Smile Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab vs. the iPad: Compare For Yourself

Hi,

My friend just told me and it is all over the news , don't get any tech gadgets yet until 2011 esp. Tablets and smart phones.
The price will drop for iPad I and Galaxy Tab as iPad II will be coming out next year and there are models might be coming up soon from CISCO, Blackberry, Dell and HP ..jeez even Norton. It is to compete against iPad II that will be available in US on March or April but features will be announced on January 2011, so hold on tightly to your budget maybe you can save more RM's.

Best Regards,
Eve
Old 12-24-2010, 01:08 PM
Gentle Giant

Quote:
Hi Jimmy,

1) From where do you locate movies for download?

In your computer's iTunes program, go to the iTunes Store, and there are sections for Movies, Music, etc. You can purchase the movies from there, which would then be downloaded to your PC and sync to your iPad. Or, you can run the iTunes app on your iPad and do the purchase & download directly.

2) How do you download movies from your DVD to the computer, do you need any particular software to do so? My idea of having some saved movies in my ipad is to pass time while on the travel. If I want to have more movies I can save them in my eternal drive which I actually can, isn't it?

If you already have existing DVDs, you will need to find a video converter software like WinAVI Converter (or any other DVD to AVI converter) that rips and converts it to common PC formats like AVI, which would then be playable by the iPad softwares I mentioned.

3) Multi player through 3G/wifi or Bluetooth.

It'd be via Wifi and/or Bluetooth, depending on the application, so it allows multiple iPads to play together or challenge each other.
Thanks Andy, will try it.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

No problem, Jimmy, let me know how it goes!

Btw, there's also an Apple TV-out cable where you can output the video from iPad to the TV.. might be useful when you're traveling too. But the cable can only be used for certain functions only like playing video from apps that support it, i.e. youtube, video player apps, some games, as well as some browser softwares like iCabMobile and Perfect Web Browser.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:23 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Yup, there are going to be many competitors rushing out with tablets to exploit the market built by Apple, just like iPhone.

Then again, unless you have access to a foreign country's store, Malaysia almost always receives Apple products a few months later than others, so iPad 2 might only arrive second half of 2011.

That actually gives the competitors a headstart in Malaysia with their newer models that'd most likely arrive first next year.

I usually recommend people buying it from Singapore's Apple Store, which receives the item much faster than Malaysia, unless you have friends in US who can ship it over to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcelleve View Post
Hi,

My friend just told me and it is all over the news , don't get any tech gadgets yet until 2011 esp. Tablets and smart phones.
The price will drop for iPad I and Galaxy Tab as iPad II will be coming out next year and there are models might be coming up soon from CISCO, Blackberry, Dell and HP ..jeez even Norton. It is to compete against iPad II that will be available in US on March or April but features will be announced on January 2011, so hold on tightly to your budget maybe you can save more RM's.

Best Regards,
Eve
Old 12-24-2010, 07:05 PM
Gentle Giant

Ok! I found this software call DVD to iPad Video Converter Suite (http://ipad-software-store.com/DVDtoiPad.htm) it is quite good but I think it's a bit pricey compare to most ipad app

Quote:
No problem, Jimmy, let me know how it goes!

Btw, there's also an Apple TV-out cable where you can output the video from iPad to the TV.. might be useful when you're traveling too. But the cable can only be used for certain functions only like playing video from apps that support it, i.e. youtube, video player apps, some games, as well as some browser softwares like iCabMobile and Perfect Web Browser.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:17 PM
PetFinder Moderator

Samsung GALAXY Tab Official Global TV Commercial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxp8K...eature=related

Old 12-24-2010, 08:22 PM
PetFinder Moderator

Eve,
Is fun to own one of Samsung Galaxy Tab or iPad. Myself is Nokia supporter, now i going changed my mind. Samsung Galaxy Tab or iPad is new choose to me.