Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > General Discussion

General Discussion General information and discuss on animal rescue, adoption and advocacy

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 05:33 PM
PetFinder Buddy

pugsnmutts is on a distinguished road
Default Letter from an Animal Shelter Manager - the sad truth

Education people, EDUCATION!! Let's pray that 2009 spares more lives than the 11 million killed this year...
(do not stop reading until you've reached the end)

A Letter from a Shelter Manager:

I think our society needs a huge " Wake-up" call. As a shelter manager, I am going to share a little insight with you all. ..a view from the inside if you will.

First off, all of you breeders/sellers should be made to work in the "back" of an animal shelter for just one day.

Maybe if you saw the life drain from a few sad, lost, confused eyes, you would change your mind about breeding
and selling to people you don't even know. That puppy you just sold will most likely end up in my shelter when
it's not a cute little puppy anymore.

So how would you feel if you knew that there's about a > 90% chance that dog will never walk out of the shelter
it is going to be dumped at? Purebred or not! About 50% of all of the dogs that are "owner surrenders" or "strays"
that come into my shelter are purebred dogs.

The most common excuses I hear are;

"We are moving and we can't take our dog (or cat).
" Really? Where are you moving to that doesn't allow pets
and why did you choose that place instead of a pet friendly
home?

Or they say "The dog got bigger than we thought it would".
How big did you think a German Shepherd would get?

"We don't have time for her". Really? I work a 10- 12 hour
day and still have time for my 6 dogs!

"She' s tearing up our yard". How about making her a part
of your family?

They always tell me: "We just don't want to have to stress
about finding a place for her we know she'll get adopted, she's
a good dog."

Odds are your pet won't get adopted & how stressful do you think being in a shelter is? Well, let me tell you,
your pet has 72 hours to find a new family from the moment you drop it off. Sometimes a little longer if the shelter
isn't full and your dog manages to stay completely healthy. If it sniffles, it dies.

Your pet will be confined to a small run/kennel in a room with about 25 other barking or crying animals. It will have
to relieve itself where it eats and sleeps.

It will be depressed and it will cry constantly for the family that abandoned it.

If your pet is lucky, I will have enough volunteers in that day to take him/her for a walk. If I don't, your pet
won't get any attention besides having a bowl of food slid under the kennel door and the waste sprayed out of its
pen with a high-powered hose.

If your dog is big, black or any of the "Bully" breeds (pit bull, rottie, mastiff, etc) it was pretty much
dead when you walked it through the front door. Those dogs just don't get adopted.

It doesn't matter how 'sweet' or 'well behaved' they are. If your dog doesn't get adopted within its 72 hours and the shelter is full, it will be destroyed.

If the shelter isn't full and your dog is good enough, and of a desirable enough breed it may get a stay of
execution, but not for long.

Most dogs get very kennel protective after about a week and are destroyed for showing aggression. Even the
sweetest dogs will turn in this environment.

If your pet makes it over all of those hurdles chances are it will get kennel cough or an upper respiratory infection
and will be destroyed because shelters just don't have the funds to pay for even a $100 treatment.

Here's a little euthanasia 101 for those of you that have never witnessed a perfectly healthy, scared animal
being "put-down"....

First, your pet will be taken from its kennel on a leash. They always look like they think they are going for a walk -
happy, wagging their tails.

Until, they get to "The Room", every one of them freak out and put the brakes on when we get to the door. It
must smell like death or they can feel the sad souls that are left in there, it's strange, but it happens with
every one of them.

Your dog or cat will be restrained, held down by 1 or 2 vet techs depending on the size and how freaked out they are.

Then a euthanasia tech or a vet will start the process. They will find a vein in the front leg and inject a lethal
dose of the "pink stuff".

Hopefully your pet doesn't panic from being restrained and jerk. I've seen the needles tear out of a leg and
been covered with the resulting blood and been deafened by the yelps and screams.

They all don't just "go to sleep", sometimes they spasm for a while, gasp for air and defecate on themselves.

When it all ends, your pet's corpse will be stacked like firewood in a large freezer in the back with all of the
other animals that were killed waiting to be picked up like garbage.

What happens next? Cremated? Taken to the dump? Rendered into pet food? You'll never know and it probably
won't even cross your mind. It was just an animal and you can always buy another one, right?

I hope that those of you that have read this are bawling your eyes out and can't get the pictures out of your
head I deal with everyday on the way home from work.

I hate my job, I hate that it exists & I hate that it will always be there unless you people make some changes and
realize that the lives you are affecting go much further than the pets you dump at a shelter.

Between 9 and 11 MILLION animals die every year in shelters and only you can stop it. I do my best to save every life I can but rescues are always full, and there are more animals coming in everyday than there are homes.

My point to all of this: DON'T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!

Hate me if you want to. The truth hurts and reality is what it is.

I just hope I maybe changed one person's mind about breeding their dog, taking their loving pet to a shelter, or
buying a dog.

I hope that someone will walk into my shelter and say "I saw this and it made me want to adopt." THAT
WOULD MAKE IT WORTH IT!

PLEASE FORWARD, CROSS POST, CIRCULATE TO YOUR FRIENDS. FAMILY, & CONTACTS!!!!
Old 03-06-2009, 06:06 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Letter from an Animal Shelter Manager - the sad truth

I would also like to forward this letter to all the people who have left comments on Petfinder claiming that spaying or neutering pets is a bad idea, because it's "unnatural" or "cruel" or "against my religion" or "too expensive". I only wish the Shelter Manager had included the numbers of offspring that unneutered dogs and cats can produce in a year -- the numbers are staggering! OK, I'm done now. I'm going off to cry for a while with my cat.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

Quote:
First, your pet will be taken from its kennel on a leash. They always look like they think they are going for a walk -
happy, wagging their tails.

Until, they get to "The Room", every one of them freak out and put the brakes on when we get to the door. It
must smell like death or they can feel the sad souls that are left in there, it's strange, but it happens with
every one of them.

Your dog or cat will be restrained, held down by 1 or 2 vet techs depending on the size and how freaked out they are.

Then a euthanasia tech or a vet will start the process. They will find a vein in the front leg and inject a lethal
dose of the "pink stuff".

Hopefully your pet doesn't panic from being restrained and jerk. I've seen the needles tear out of a leg and
been covered with the resulting blood and been deafened by the yelps and screams.

They all don't just "go to sleep", sometimes they spasm for a while, gasp for air and defecate on themselves.

When it all ends, your pet's corpse will be stacked like firewood in a large freezer in the back with all of the
other animals that were killed waiting to be picked up like garbage.
this is why i avoid volunteering at spca or paws. to see them in their cages, and then knowing their time is limited.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:26 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default Letter from an Animal Shelter Manager - the sad truth

Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post
this is why i avoid volunteering at spca or paws. to see them in their cages, and then knowing their time is limited.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:56 PM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road

this is why people need to spay/neuter their pets.. they also need to think twice before giving up a pet!! there is ALWAYS a way to keep your pet. giving it up is the EASY WAY OUT and shows that they never really cared in the first place.

i always hear about people giving up their dogs and cats because they are moving from a house to a condo that doesn't allow pets.. that's retarded!! then why move there?? DUH!!
Old 03-13-2009, 03:32 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road
Question HKSPCA CCCP is already into its 6th year ... why are we still killing our animals over here?

From Hong Kong SPCA website:

Studies suggest that if 60% of the female population is de-sexed, then the population will remain static, higher numbers can lead to decreasing populations. With education people can see the great benefits to both animal welfare and the community as a result of this effective and humane programme. It's time to be proactive and stop unnecessary killing.

The Hong Kong SPCA Cat Colony Care Programme (CCCP) is already into its 6th year of implementation ... succeeding in control strays overpopulation and reaping good benefits all round ...

... so my soalan cepumas is, "Why are our local SPCA, animal shelters and local authorities still killing our animals as THE solution to the problem instead of actively and aggressively implementing TNR?"

Answer: Bolehland as usual "X Boleh!!!!"

------------------------------------------------------

The HK SPCA Cat Colony Care Programme

Cats in our society occupy a spectrum that runs from the cherished, indoors-only pet to ferals who may have little or no human contact or support. Some of these felines were born in parks or alleyways, and will never become accustomed to people. Others may be "marginally owned", living in someone's backyard or garage, or travelling from doorstep to doorstep in search of food and occasional shelter or some others may even have been cruelly abandoned by their owners. As neighbourhood cats, these felines may still be used to some human contact.

At the HK SPCA, we strongly believe that all feral cats deserve our compassion and protection, and that there are humane, effective ways to control their populations. We support the efforts of compassionate caregivers who are working hard to make life better for feral cats. Many people in our city complain about these cats, but simply killing them is not the answer to reducing their numbers. In recognising this, we have introduced an animal birth control programme, the HKSPCA Cat Colony Care Programme to provide FREE spay/neuter surgery for our ferals.

see related link in forum: http://forums.petfinder.my/showthrea...34208&posted=1
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies

Last edited by FurKids; 03-13-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:32 PM
PetFinder Guru

meira is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to meira

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynielime View Post
this is why people need to spay/neuter their pets.. they also need to think twice before giving up a pet!! there is ALWAYS a way to keep your pet. giving it up is the EASY WAY OUT and shows that they never really cared in the first place.

i always hear about people giving up their dogs and cats because they are moving from a house to a condo that doesn't allow pets.. that's retarded!! then why move there?? DUH!!
Some people do not have any choice.some people only can rent the house, most of the owners of the house wont allow to pet any animals.

with a fix budget, people do not have more choices and have to choose which one.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:41 PM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road

there are always better options than leaving your pet at an animal shelter. rehome it yourself!! people KNOW what happens at shelters and yet they continue to dump their pets there then complain about the shelters euthanizing animals.. what they are incapable of understanding is, the shelters wouldn't be so crowded in the first place if the owners themselves didn't dump their pets there.

and when it comes to personal housing, like i said there are ALWAYS choices. keep looking for a place till you find one that allows pets. i rent my house and its not in a great neighborhood but that's what i could find in my budget that allows pets. you ahve to make sacrifices.

i could easily have lived somewhere nicer or in a more convenient location at a better price if i had ditched my pets.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:43 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynielime View Post
there are always better options than leaving your pet at an animal shelter. rehome it yourself!! people KNOW what happens at shelters and yet they continue to dump their pets there then complain about the shelters euthanizing animals.. what they are incapable of understanding is, the shelters wouldn't be so crowded in the first place if the owners themselves didn't dump their pets there.

and when it comes to personal housing, like i said there are ALWAYS choices. keep looking for a place till you find one that allows pets. i rent my house and its not in a great neighborhood but that's what i could find in my budget that allows pets. you ahve to make sacrifices.

i could easily have lived somewhere nicer or in a more convenient location at a better price if i had ditched my pets.

Lynie is right. When my hubby and I were looking to buy a new home, besides asking about 2 designated covered car-parks for each unit which is a must for us, I made sure the management of the condo allows cats as pets. There were many nice ones in Mont Kiara that we had to pass as they don't allow cats.

To say the new housing does not allow pets is taking the easy way out. The pet owner should adopt the attitude that if his pets are not welcomed, then he is not going to move there.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:04 PM
PetFinder Guru

meira is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to meira

xde ke non killing shelter kt malaysia eh?mcm kisah makcik tu yg ade buat tempat utk cats n dogs without killing them and no cage etc ect.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:28 PM
PetFinder Guru

daphne1985 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to daphne1985

pugsnmutts ,

Sorry, may I ask u a question? Are u from SPCA or PAWS coz u are saying ur job is to shelter the animal.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Animal Lover

YanDaniial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne1985 View Post
pugsnmutts ,

Sorry, may I ask u a question? Are u from SPCA or PAWS coz u are saying ur job is to shelter the animal.
hehehe.... this Letter is from an ANIMAL SHELTER MANAGER..
Old 03-16-2009, 09:20 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
Originally Posted by YanDaniial View Post
pugsnmutts, your designation should read "ANIMAL EXTERMINATION MANAGER", no?
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 03-16-2009, 10:55 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by YanDaniial View Post
Sorry, I still dont noe where is Animal Shelter Center bside SPCA and PAWS.. Erm, coz i hope i can give my help.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:38 AM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road

this letter may have been an opened letter written to and for the consumption of the public - which public whether it is in the USA or MSIA, it doesn't matter because it speaks the truth.

i can truly identify with the descriptions in the letter even though i have not worked at SPCA nor have i volunteered at SPCA. i've been to SPCA and i saw the sad conditions at SPCA, the lack of space, the lack of resource be it human or financial or anything else that matters.

the source of the problem is not the animals but us - those who think they love animal and is willing to show this "love" by buying an animal as a pet but is not willing to do what it takes to provide a loving home, safe shelter/environment and good health and nutrition to their companion animal because to them it is just a means to sastify their "ego" and in end dumping the animals on the streets or at the animal shelters (be it with kill or no-kill policies)

the source of the problem is not the animals but us - those of us what are only into making a profit and who thinks animals are merely the means to profit they think animals are merely inanimate objects mean for trade. the ends justify the means - they don't think that the animal is a sentient being that have emotions and feelings and have just needs and wants (be it physical or emotional) that have to be taken care off for well being.

the source of the problem is not the animals but us - those of us who are still ignorant or self-centered or self-absorbed and refuse to do the right thing by the homeless animals - be it to render actual help through fostering or rescuing and rehoming homeless animals and/or sponsoring or getting either own pets and/or ainmals at shelters or homeless animals .

the source of the problem is not the animals but us - those of us that are so self-absorbed and so self-centered they can't see beyond themselves. period.

the source of the problem is not the animals but us - those of us who think that "there's always that some stupid or naive who can help the animals - let them do it - it has nothing to do with us - joe someone or ms somebody is already helping out - they don't need us...

the source of the problem is not the animals nor the animal shelters but us - us human beings so think we are deserving of compassion and understanding and love and happiness but do not think any any beings whether lesser or greater than us, deserve the same.

i do agree with the realities mentioned in the letter : all of us should volunteer at an animal shelter for a week - just volunteer your time and if at the end of the week, you still think the problem is the animals and the animal shelter and doesn't concern you, i 've nothing more to say.

there has to be more than enough loving homes for the animals at the shelter, the number of animals at the shelter cannot be more than and cannot exceed the number of msian citizens in the klang valley alone.

be true - be fair - be objective, think bout the situation at the animal shelters, the situation that brought about homeless animals in the first place (be it abandonment, non-sterilisation/spaying/neutering, greed of people by breeding and breeding more animals to be sold for profit) - what does it really about us as a society and as a human being?

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Ghandi

I'd say the greatness of a person and his/her moral progress can be judged by the way he or she treat an animal for it is the person that makes up the society and form the future of the society by the virtues/social norms/behaviours/values that it passes through the children.

for those who are truly doing more than their best for the homeless animals, i salute you

for those of you who think that it is someone's responsibility and non-of your business - it is really so?
Old 03-16-2009, 02:26 PM
PetFinder Guru

Actually I wish to work as a volunteer to SPCA and PAWS but I do not have transport to go there, what I can do is take public transport only. Last time Andy did send me a map but is a bit far from my place and do not have public transport if I not mistaken.

Therefore, I thought if the Animal Shelter Center of ur working place is not SPCA or PAWS, may I noe the location, see if I can go there by public transport or not.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:15 PM
PetFinder Buddy

daphne1985, YanDaniial, FurKids,

do let me make clear that this letter is a forwarded letter which i received in the email, and eventually decided to post it here for awareness purpose...
i am NOT an animal shelter manager nor am i working for spca or paws...

and for those who still think that animal shelters are mercilessly exterminating the animals, do pay spca or paws a visit one day, n try to understand the situation from their side...
Old 03-18-2009, 12:46 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Default Local SPCA and other kill shelters, embrace change in order to stay relevant ...

pugsnmutts "... and for those who still think that animal shelters are mercilessly exterminating the animals, do pay spca or paws a visit one day, n try to understand the situation from their side... "

Rather than keep asking people to understand them and justify why they need to continue with their killings of many healthy animals, our local kill-shelters like SPCA should get internet savvy and surf the internet in order to update and enlighten themselves to see what their modern counterparts around the world are doing in order to successfully solve similar stray animal problems and why they have drastically changed (abandoned) their approaches/practices from the traditional cruel methods of operations which they now openly deem as unsuccessful, ineffective (not to mention cruel and inhumane) and does not solve the problem (though they cost so much more).

They are numerous, but one such fine example is the Hong Kong SPCA:

(From http://www.spca.org.hk/eng/welfare/cccp.html)
Cats in our society occupy a spectrum that runs from the cherished, indoors-only pet to ferals who may have little or no human contact or support. Some of these felines were born in parks or alleyways, and will never become accustomed to people. Others may be "marginally owned", living in someone's backyard or garage, or travelling from doorstep to doorstep in search of food and occasional shelter or some others may even have been cruelly abandoned by their owners. As neighbourhood cats, these felines may still be used to some human contact.

At the SPCA, we strongly believe that all feral cats deserve our compassion and protection, and that there are humane, effective ways to control their populations. We support the efforts of compassionate caregivers who are working hard to make life better for feral cats. Many people in our city complain about these cats, but simply killing them is not the answer to reducing their numbers. In recognising this, we have introduced an animal birth control programme, the HKSPCA Cat Colony Care Programme to provide FREE spay/neuter surgery for our ferals.

What is the Cat Colony Care Programme?

Established in August 2000, the SPCA's Cat Colony Care Programme (CCCP) mobilises a dedicated army of volunteers who feed and watch over "families" of street cats in Hong Kong. The aim is to improve the lives and health of these animals and to stabilise and eventually reduce the numbers of stray and feral cats in the community through the coordinated Trap, Neuter and Return (TNR) effort.

Volunteers are equipped with humane traps and trained in street cat care. In addition to feeding, watering and monitoring their colonies, they catch and transport "their" cats to the SPCA headquarters in Wanchai for de-sexing. The Society's vets also provide general medical treatment when the cats are brought into for surgery. Friendly kittens and adults are placed in our adoption programme. Those deemed not suitable for domestication are returned to their respective colonies to pick up their lives again under the watchful eyes of their carers.

How TNR Works

De-sexed cat colonies first stabilise and then decrease as the breeding rate declines. De-sexed cats vocalize, roam and spray less, resulting in fewer complaints from the surrounding community. It is also likely to be ineffective in controlling numbers because cats from further a field tend to move in to fill the vacuum.Culling healthy cats is inhumane. The colony may actually expand..

------------------------------------------------
Statistics from the States show that

"An un-spayed female, her mate and all of their offspring, producing 2 litters per year, with 2.8 surviving kittens per litter can total in 1 year: 12 extra cats; in 5 years: 11,801 extra cats!!"

An amazing figure and one of the reasons why we, at the SPCA, are on occasion left with no choice but to humanely destroy healthy, unwanted cats. Studies suggest that if 60% of the female population is de-sexed, then the population will remain static, higher numbers can lead to decreasing populations. With education people can see the great benefits to both animal welfare and the community as a result of this effective and humane programme. It's time to be proactive and stop unnecessary killing.

At the SPCA, every feral cat brought to our centre by the registered carer is assessed before being de-sexed. They are also microchiped, vaccinated, “de-flead”, de-wormed, and treated for ear mites and other minor health problems before being sent back to where they were trapped to live out the rest of their natural lives. There is no monetary charge to our carers for this work. The costs are met from our welfare funds and donations received from members of the public.

Feral cats on the streets may not welcome. They can cause the public to complain to the Government about their habits, e.g: crying at night in the breeding season, trespassing and marking territory with urine and faeces, raiding rubbish. The sight of unhealthy kittens and adults huddled together in alleyways is distressing.

Through this humane programme via both education of the community and action to improve the welfare of the street cats and decrease their numbers, people should be more able to accept the cats place in the community. Spay / Neuter Assistance Programme

-------------------------------------------------------------
Spay / Neuter Assistance Programme from http://www.spca.org.hk/eng/welfare/snap.html

Every year many thousands of unwanted puppies and kittens are born in Hong Kong, some of these litters are the result of accidental matings by pet dogs and cats.

To prevent this problem the SPCA advocates that all pet cats and dogs should be neutered (this also can have added health benefits).

The SPCA realises that in some cases there may be financial concerns such that whilst a pet owner may be willing to "de-sex" their pet they do not have the financial means to do so.

The SPCA can offer assistance with the "de-sexing" of pet cats and dogs in certain instances such as the owner is a recipient of Comprehensive Social Security Assistance or is referred by a Social Worker.

Last edited by FurKids; 03-18-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:03 PM
PetFinder Buddy

furkids, may i suggest that u write in to the chairperson of spca or even have a meeting with them on ur findings and perhaps it could, like u said, enlighten them on more humane approaches on controlling the over population of pets?

i too, would like to see change...
Old 03-18-2009, 03:31 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Tak kuasa la aku, kawan ... hehehehhhh!!! Nanti dia throw her hands in the air like the other day semasa DBKL Dog Cruelty huhaa, citing "... we don't have the powahhhh..."

We can lead a horse to water but we cannot make it drink ....
Closed Thread