Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > General Discussion

General Discussion General information and discuss on animal rescue, adoption and advocacy

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 09:13 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Letter from an Animal Shelter Manager - the sad truth

Sad to say, but if SPCA does not get real and changes the way it operates and manages things, until the day it dies, it will be continue to:

1) Have 30 kennels to shelter strays or pets brought in (because they do not have money to build more or even the land space);

2) Have 2 staff to run the centre (because they do not have money to hire more);

3) Can only give food which has been donated by the public or buy cheap kibbles and not those super premium ones because you need to feed the dogs at least twice a day (this is 30 dogs we are talking about);

4) Dream of spaying everything which comes through your door but each spaying cost RM150 each (a poor estimation);

5) Receive 600 dogs a month while getting 10 adoptions a month and getting less;

6) Try to sell all the items donated by the public hoping to generate some cash to buy essentials;

7) Struggle to feed medication, vaccination etc etc to those healthy dogs before they are homed (all this costs money);

8) Open their shelter to the public 6 days a week but hardly anyone walks in;

9) Spend time pondering whether the organisation can still survive another week with the RM200 you have left to run the shelter and everybody loses their jobs. Sit and hope that some kind souls will come this week to donate.
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 03-20-2009, 09:15 AM
PetFinder Guru

nivek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurKids View Post
If SPCA does not change the way it operates and manages things, until the day it dies, it will continue to:

1) Have 30 kennels to shelter strays or pets brought in (because they do not have money to build more or even the land space);

2) Have 2 staff to run the centre (because they do not have money to hire more);

3) Can only give food which has been donated by the public or buy cheap kibbles and not those super premium ones because you need to feed the dogs at least twice a day (this is 30 dogs we are talking about);

4) Dream of spaying everything which comes through your door but each spaying cost RM150 each (a poor estimation);

5) Receive 600 dogs a month while getting 10 adoptions a month and getting less;

6) Try to sell all the items donated by the public hoping to generate some cash to buy essentials;

7) Struggle to feed medication, vaccination etc etc to those healthy dogs before they are homed (all this costs money);

8) Open their shelter to the public 6 days a week but hardly anyone walks in;

9) Spend time pondering whether the organisation can still survive another week with the RM200 you have left to run the shelter and everybody loses their jobs. Sit and hope that some kind souls will come this week to donate.

Like I said. If you can do better why don't you go and open a shelter?
Old 03-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivek View Post
Like I said. If you can do better why don't you go and open a shelter?
What makes you think that we IPRs do not have any? That we do not flaunt does not mean that we do not have ...
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 03-20-2009, 09:19 AM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road

seriously people you don't have to like spca to do good anyway. every organization will have its critics and flaws no matter what.

whether you like them or not, go and help foster an animal please. for the sake of the animals!! that's what we are all here for. help spca reduce the number of euthanized animals. they don't WANT to euthanize animals, help them not to. foster a little one today. that's all i have to say.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:19 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
What makes you think that we IPRs do not have any? That we do not flaunt does not mean that we do not have ...
Well then good for you and the animals that get sheltered at your place :)
Old 03-20-2009, 09:30 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynielime View Post
seriously people you don't have to like spca to do good anyway. every organization will have its critics and flaws no matter what.

whether you like them or not, go and help foster an animal please. for the sake of the animals!! that's what we are all here for. help spca reduce the number of euthanized animals. they don't WANT to euthanize animals, help them not to. foster a little one today. that's all i have to say.
Lynie, you misunderstood the most important thing that we have been saying all along ... SPCA is NOT helping itself when it can and should be doing so!

They can really reduce their so-called "euthanising" of healthy animals if they start doing what their counterparts are doing overseas! Go aggressively step up the TNR efforts and to educate the public through programmes at residents community centres, shopping malls, and other big public avenues, aggressively move to get municipal councils to leave TNRed colonies alone, just like what their counterparts are doing, instead of simply throwing your hands in the air and say that you don't have the powah!

TNRs can effectively reduce the increasing volume of strays and abandoned pets.

There are many good and eager volunteers, tapi if SPCA does not step up the education drive, all the hardworking, self-motivating voluteers pun will die of exhaustion ... more animals coming in, much more coming ... lmusim mengawan oredi, more, more reproduction, more dumping ...less $$ ... finally, no more $$!
Old 03-20-2009, 09:33 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
Well then good for you and the animals that get sheltered at your place :)
Not so good for me, Nivek, but good for the animals.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:36 AM
Banned

khengteik is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to khengteik

Dear Mr Andy Koh

Just so you know... I have been in the act of criticizing SPCA left~right~up~down~center for quite some time now.... As i have and a few other forummers justified before, SPCA stands for SOCIETY OF THE PREVENTION OF CRUELTY OF ANIMALS... Does anyone freaking know what that means? It means that they are the people who have taken up a particular task... Which is to see to the prevention of animal cruelty... That should be their first priority... I don't freaking care how they do it... but as long as they do it... I'll cease to criticize them..

I quote:
Quote:
I know of a friend who emailed SPCA to report a pack of stray puppies discovered at a vacant house, and within 1 hour, received a call from SPCA for more information, and hours later, they have sent their van over to pick the puppies up. You might be able to give negative examples, but so can others give positive ones.
Do you not think that i have never done it before? From my point of view, they MIGHT be doing so because your friends found puppies and it might be near SPCA... I have called SPCA before regarding a stray dog at my old factory at Port Klang. That poor dog was bitten in the ear and infection sets in resulting a big hole on its head with maggots all over... I called SPCA to help... And their response, Klang is too far away... And they asked me to find a way to bring the dog to them.... If i am able to do so... I would not need to ask for help need I??

Quote:
Let's face it, there are thousands of strays everywhere and lots of calls for help, requests to surrender pets, investigations into abuse cases etc - do you think SPCA can efficiently respond to every single request and handle each case to your satisfaction? We are not even satisfied with the customer service of large corporations with hundreds of support staff, so there is an extent to how much SPCA can do with their limited resources.
I quote from The News Straits Times dated 02/03/2009 (i think)
Quote:
Since last year, the SPCA has been steadily getting each month about 650 pets which are given up by owners, compared with 500 in 2007.
More homeless animals are expected as the year rolls on.
IF SPCA would have done their job in the first place, this would be reduced drastically... I'm not saying that it would not happen anymore, but at least the number of people aware that animals cannot be treated like a piece of garbage. They need to do something and rethink what is their main objective... Since they already know/think that the number of pets being given away is going to increase, they should step up their awareness campaigns....

And i repeat... ESPECIALLY TO NON ANIMAL LOVERS and PARENTS!!!!!

My point again... Why can Noah's Ark Natural Animal Sanctuary in Johor able to cope? And from the news i read, NANAS actually took in 2 horses from SPCA to rehabilitate with NO CHARGES! With so many high and mighty financial backers I'm surprised with SPCA....

Quote:
It is always easy for you to criticize someone or some organization. Just like everyone who loves to complain about their jobs and bosses. BUT, put yourself into your boss' shoes, and you will see a whole different picture. There are many opposing forces, competing priorities, legal restraints and dozens of other issues to be considered when actions are to be taken, and red tape is bound to arise in organizations.
Been there, done that... That is why I stop to put myself in SPCA's shoes... Every time i do that, I think of more and more and more issues why SPCA is not doing what it is supposed to do.... Like I mentioned before and again and again, SPCA is supposed to prevent cruelty... Why cant people put it in their gd dmn thick head?
Old 03-20-2009, 09:44 AM
User Account Terminated

Jeffrey Read is an unknown quantity at this point

I cannot help myself but to jump right in again, knowing me! This forum appears to have a wide range of people but generally the fall into a couple of categories, in which I will call pre-SPCA, post-SPCA, .... .

Knowing which forumer that falls into which category will be able to predict what kind of answers they will usually provide, FurKids.

Back to topic, amazingly the real question now why is SPCA not wanting to adopt TNR practices although its not only economical and effective in the long-run? There must be hidden agendas, FurKids.

Strangely my request for accounts have remain unanswered by SPCA. To me, as long as the accounts remains undisclosed, SPCA does not warrant any action nor attention from my part hereof. Even an investor would want to see the accounts before investing.

T.ruth, with the above being said, I do not think changing the management of SPCA is that simple since they are sitting on "something". If you succeed, that will be great. At least there will be hope for real changes.

Those who continously say SPCA has no cash, you obviously missed the post when a SPCA spokesperson mentioned something about RM2 million acquisition of some property! Those who continously assist and volunteer SPCA, good keep it up at least it feeds your soul.

The problem with SPCA is that it has an internationally recognized name that is worth fighting for. Setting up any other shelter will never supercede what SPCA had achieved in terms of recognition. Same with burgers and McD's. If it wasn't for that name, I wouldn't even raise an eyebrow over these futile matters.

Last edited by Jeffrey Read; 03-20-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:46 AM
PetFinder Guru

For those who thinks SPCA is not doing anything well SPCA is carrying out awareness campaigns on spaying, animal care etc at schools, MNC's and during exhibitions. Recent programs were the one at the food fair at PISA Penang and at the Jelutong Primary school both held last weekend.

There will also be an upcoming Kids Camp in May. For those who are working in MNCs, ask permission from your HR to have SPCA come over to give a talk at your factories to generate more awareness.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:47 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Andy's post:
It is always easy for you to criticize someone or some organization. Just like everyone who loves to complain about their jobs and bosses. BUT, put yourself into your boss' shoes, and you will see a whole different picture. There are many opposing forces, competing priorities, legal restraints and dozens of other issues to be considered when actions are to be taken, and red tape is bound to arise in organizations.

KhengTeik's response:
Been there, done that... That is why I stop to put myself in SPCA's shoes... Every time i do that, I think of more and more and more issues why SPCA is not doing what it is supposed to do.... Like I mentioned before and again and again, SPCA is supposed to prevent cruelty... Why cant people put it in their gd dmn thick head?

Yes, Andy, in management, we are taught that the boss is not paid to complain about problems ... he is paid to solve problems. That is why the CEO is identified as the Senior Responsible Officer for projects and he is accountable and cannot push the blame to any of his staff.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:47 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Lynie, you misunderstood the most important thing that we have been saying all along ... SPCA is NOT helping itself when it can and should be doing so!

They can really reduce their so-called "euthanising" of healthy animals if they start doing what their counterparts are doing overseas! Go aggressively step up the TNR efforts and to educate the public through programmes at residents community centres, shopping malls, and other big public avenues, aggressively move to get municipal councils to leave TNRed colonies alone, just like what their counterparts are doing, instead of simply throwing your hands in the air and say that you don't have the powah!

TNRs can effectively reduce the increasing volume of strays and abandoned pets.

There are many good and eager volunteers, tapi if SPCA does not step up the education drive, all the hardworking, self-motivating voluteers pun will die of exhaustion ... more animals coming in, much more coming ... lmusim mengawan oredi, more, more reproduction, more dumping ...less $$ ... finally, no more $$!
Yes furkids i do realize that spca needs to make improvements in their strategy towards improving animal welfare in malaysia. i'm not a complete idiot thank you very much.

what i'm saying is, even with all this bitching and moaning about spca more members of the public should and can also do their part to help. it's everyones responsibility.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:57 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
For those who thinks SPCA is not doing anything well SPCA is carrying out awareness campaigns on spaying, animal care etc at schools, MNC's and during exhibitions. Recent programs were the one at the food fair at PISA Penang and at the Jelutong Primary school both held last weekend.

There will also be an upcoming Kids Camp in May. For those who are working in MNCs, ask permission from your HR to have SPCA come over to give a talk at your factories to generate more awareness.
Nivek, it is more urgent and effective for SPCA to go to the residents community committees rather than schools. They really need to address the hostile, animal hating parents and adults. The residents are the ones throwing away animals, beating them and preventing sympathetic animal lovers from helping the animals (many are strays) ... they want to starve them to death hoping the stray problems will go away. SPCA and most shelters are full already, the strays can be helped by the community committee spaying/neutering the strays and allow discreet feeding stations without hostile neighbours continually threatening to poison the animals. The spayed/neutered animals in the neighbourhood will not reproduce and continue to live out their natural lives. Nivek, there will never be enough space and $$ for shelters, that is why to reduce the killings at the shelter, another alternative as done by overseas SPCA is to release the spayed/neutered animals into the same place they were found but the neighbourhood animal hating people must be educated and persuaded that this is a non-cruel and humane choice. And this is where SPCA has the clout that others do not have because of the very name that they carry.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:58 AM
PetFinder Guru

some of us are going to go on follow-up visits and inspections of adoptions tomorrow morning at 10am. meet at spca office. send me a private message if you are interested in going with me.

daphne, i got the impression from your previous posts that you want to volunteer? message me.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:59 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Nivek, it is more urgent and effective for SPCA to go to the residents community committees rather than schools. They really need to address the hostile, animal hating parents and adults. The residents are the ones throwing away animals, beating them and preventing sympathetic animal lovers from helping the animals (many are strays) ... they want to starve them to death hoping the stray problems will go away. SPCA and most shelters are full already, the strays can be helped by the community committee spaying/neutering the strays and allow discreet feeding stations without hostile neighbours continually threatening to poison the animals. The spayed/neutered animals in the neighbourhood will not reproduce and continue to live out their natural lives. Nivek, there will never be enough space and $$ for shelters, that is why to reduce the killings at the shelter, another alternative as done by overseas SPCA is to release the spayed/neutered animals into the same place they were found but the neighbourhood animal hating people must be educated and persuaded that this is a non-cruel and humane choice. And this is where SPCA has the clout that others do not have because of the very name that they carry.
Again, why don't you take the initiative to start this and make SPCA redundant?
Old 03-20-2009, 10:01 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

People, PLEASE!

I go back to Blackie's sage comment: Imagine life in this area without SPCA. For just a moment, set down all your grievances with the way the agency runs, and imagine it GONE. I spent several hours at SPCA on the day I adopted my cat, and in that short time, the entry-way to the shelter had completely filled up with surrendered cats and kittens. There were 10-15 new souls there. These were not strays from feral communities, they were pets dropped off because owners couldn't or wouldn't keep them any longer. Will they be euthanized? Quite probably most of them will be. As much as that breaks my heart, I have to think it's a more humane ending than they would find if thrown out onto the streets in the absence of SPCA.

I would beg you before you write a post to ask yourself, is this constructive, or is it merely critical? Am I really doing anything to help animals by writing this post? Do I really want to drive SPCA out of business, and if not, what can I do to change it for the better? I hate to say this, but I don't think posting criticisms on Petfinder is going to end in any significant improvement, and it may do significant harm.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:06 AM
PetFinder Guru

melmel is on a distinguished road

well say, Maneki

u hv my full support
Old 03-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynielime View Post
Yes furkids i do realize that spca needs to make improvements in their strategy towards improving animal welfare in malaysia. i'm not a complete idiot thank you very much.

what i'm saying is, even with all this bitching and moaning about spca more members of the public should and can also do their part to help. it's everyones responsibility.
No, Lynie, no animal lover is ever an idiot! Anyway, you used the word, not me ... , no, you no idiot, Lynie!

But some people keep bemoaning that some people are not helping, neither are they donating, just criticising. What these stubbornly bemoaning people are not getting is the fact that these people are not helping nor donating due to the simple fact that they are disillussioned with SPCA but criticising SPCA because they claim to stand for something which they do not live up to.

It is not wrong to criticise. And many people label criticism as positive if it is what they long to hear, and label as negative if it is something they do not want to hear, however true or constructive. They have not learned to filter out their emotions (leave all their emotional baggage in the next room) and analyse logically.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:13 AM
PetFinder Guru

melmel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKoh View Post
Guys,

You have voiced your opinions on SPCA, and they have been heard by the rest of us. But, it now appears to be going well overboard and I see some people getting overly emotional with strong sentences attacking SPCA.

I agree that there is definitely room for improvement in SPCA, just like any organization. However, I definitely do not agree with claims that SPCA is of no purpose at all. There is no denying of SPCA's contribution to the animals and our community - whether it is on rescuing animals, rehoming them, or educating people. If you claim that they are not doing any of these, then you are likely so strongly prejudiced against them that you are selecting NOT to read/remember/recall the things that they have achieved. I am not saying that they are at their maximum efficiency, but there is still a lot achieved. I know of a friend who emailed SPCA to report a pack of stray puppies discovered at a vacant house, and within 1 hour, received a call from SPCA for more information, and hours later, they have sent their van over to pick the puppies up. You might be able to give negative examples, but so can others give positive ones.

Let's face it, there are thousands of strays everywhere and lots of calls for help, requests to surrender pets, investigations into abuse cases etc - do you think SPCA can efficiently respond to every single request and handle each case to your satisfaction? We are not even satisfied with the customer service of large corporations with hundreds of support staff, so there is an extent to how much SPCA can do with their limited resources.

Both SPCA and Independent pet rescuers are absolutely crucial, because there are never enough resources for any party to single-handedly resolve the issues. In fact, all these parties should be working hand-in-hand with the same mission and helping each other to improve, instead of pointing fingers at others' faults and belittling them.

What some of you are doing here is merely instilling dissatisfaction and hatred of SPCA among others, which I consider unacceptable. If this society fails to function properly, it is the animals that are going to suffer like what Blackie said, and the animal rescue, fostering, education, lobbying scenes would become even more chaotic.

I want to emphasize this - give constructive criticisms, but do not criticize and belittle others just for the sake of creating a tense atmosphere, making yourself heard or whatever personal agenda. Always think of the consequences and the big picture, put yourself into their shoes, and if you genuinely think you can do better, then by all means, join their organization and make the improvements instead of giving empty criticisms.
well said, Andy
Old 03-20-2009, 10:17 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
Again, why don't you take the initiative to start this and make SPCA redundant?
Many IPRs are already doing this, Nivek, and SPCA is already quite redundant. Furry Friends Farms, Sherrina Krishnan and T.Ruth are doing so much in a very discreet manner. That is why SPCA donations are already dwindling ... they are going to the no-kill shelters instead.

In order to remedy and redeem itself, SPCA must go out and do the education programmes and TNR initiatives that their counterparts are effectively doing and everyone will definitely look at them with new eyes and work with them. But until then, the IPRs will have to struggle on by themselves for the sake of the unfortunate animals.

Khengteik mentioned that he had already updated our local SPCA on the activities of their counterpart so they should already have ideas on how to solve the problems they keep saying they have. But he could only lead the horse to water, the horse refused to drink ...
Closed Thread