Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens

Cats & Kittens General information and discussions on taking care of your feline buddy

Old 05-04-2012, 09:51 AM
PetFinder Guru

Meffy is on a distinguished road
Default Do you bathe your cats?

I do it every 2 weeks Since she never protested, I think she likes it. And I like how her fur is so soft and fluffy after a bath

What about you guys?
Old 05-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Do you bathe your cats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meffy View Post
I do it every 2 weeks Since she never protested, I think she likes it. And I like how her fur is so soft and fluffy after a bath

What about you guys?
Hi, Meffy! Both of my girls are absolutely terrified of water, so no baths in our house. Fortunately for me, they're both DSH so don't really need bathing. (Heaven help me if they get some skin problem that requires a bath...) I just brush them once in a while, mostly because they love it so much, and occasionally run a damp cloth over their coats, which they despise but tolerate. They do a fine job of keeping themselves really clean.

Have you finally won your war against the fleas? I hope so!
Old 05-04-2012, 10:55 PM
PetFinder Guru

Rayquaza17 is on a distinguished road

hehehe, I do bath my cats and they are alright with it. Just no blow for them but wipe and they will do themselves. I bathed them when I feel they are dirty. Maybe 2 weeks once? Or if I am lazy, 1-3 months also no bath hahaha. Luckily my cats are those tidy type. Don't like dirt hehe :D
Old 05-07-2012, 10:07 PM
Animal Lover

shazshera is on a distinguished road

Hmm I only bathe my cats when they are extremely dirty. :) They hate bath time n if I decided to do it the weather must be hot. Then again they r quite clean as they are caged most of the time. if I let them out it will only be inside the hse, except for the adults.
As they were strays before, I do let them out of the hse. but only for short period of time. Sometimes I will send them for grooming if I have free grooming vouchers, by rotation every month. BTW my cats are all DSH. A friend once advised me to bathe my cats not more than 2 weeks once, otw they r prone to get runny nose. Betul ke?
Old 05-08-2012, 12:49 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Hi, Meffy! Both of my girls are absolutely terrified of water, so no baths in our house. Fortunately for me, they're both DSH so don't really need bathing. (Heaven help me if they get some skin problem that requires a bath...) I just brush them once in a while, mostly because they love it so much, and occasionally run a damp cloth over their coats, which they despise but tolerate. They do a fine job of keeping themselves really clean.

Have you finally won your war against the fleas? I hope so!
Hi Amanda! The fleas are all gone now since I started using Advantage. I'm so happy Thank you so much for helping me buy it. If you're visiting the pet shop again, do drop me a PM.

My cat is clean all the time too since she never goes outside. But sometimes I feel her coat isn't as fluffy after awhile from her body oil so it's bath time! I think she got used to baths because I bathed her since I brought her home as a kitten. However, she hates cold baths and being inside a sink or tub. The water must be warm and bath must be on the floor.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:53 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazshera View Post
Hmm I only bathe my cats when they are extremely dirty. :) They hate bath time n if I decided to do it the weather must be hot. Then again they r quite clean as they are caged most of the time. if I let them out it will only be inside the hse, except for the adults.
As they were strays before, I do let them out of the hse. but only for short period of time. Sometimes I will send them for grooming if I have free grooming vouchers, by rotation every month. BTW my cats are all DSH. A friend once advised me to bathe my cats not more than 2 weeks once, otw they r prone to get runny nose. Betul ke?
My cat is also DSH but so far, no runny nose. I use warm water and make sure she's as dry as possible after bath. Too bad she's scared of the hairdryer otherwise she can dry faster :D

I live in apartment. My cat will sometimes try to run out when I open the door She'll go next door to smell some of my neighbour's shoes and then come back.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:56 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayquaza17 View Post
hehehe, I do bath my cats and they are alright with it. Just no blow for them but wipe and they will do themselves. I bathed them when I feel they are dirty. Maybe 2 weeks once? Or if I am lazy, 1-3 months also no bath hahaha. Luckily my cats are those tidy type. Don't like dirt hehe :D
Hehe..ya...I think my cat will live longer than me because she's always indoors and not exposed to dirt or pollution Even her feet are cleaner than mine.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:18 PM
Gentle Giant

Coony is on a distinguished road

It doesn't mean when you don't see the dirt in your cat & it is clean. I have heard of cases whereby a cat owner become allergic to the cat after a few years & in most of this cases it is due to the cleanliness of their cats, like not bathing the cat for a long long time even though it doesn't look dirty at all. There are thing that are far worst then dirt that you can see with your eye, for instant like germ, bacteria & cat dander that can cause allergy.

Cat dander consists of microscopic pieces of dry cat skin which becomes airborne, landing on bedding, curtains, carpeting, and other surfaces, including humans' skin and clothing. Cat dander particles are tiny, about 1/10th the size of dust mites. Dry skin particles wouldn't be particularly allergenic except for this factor: Fel D1(Fel d-1, Fel d 1)

Fel D1 may come from the Latin Felis Domestica. It is a glycoprotein found in the cat's sebaceous glands under the skin, to a lesser degree in cats' saliva, and in cats' urine. When a cat grooms his coat, the Fel D1 present in his saliva lands on the cats' skin and hairs, and combined with the Fel D1 from the sebaceous glands, creates a sort of "double whammy" to allergy sufferers.

Interestingly, the production of Fel D1 appears to be more or less prolific in different types of cats:
Whole cats produce more Fel D1 than neutered cats
Male cats, particularly unaltered, produce more allergens than female cats.

Best Maine Coon Cattery in CFA ID Asia/LA since 2004
The only Maine Coon cattery with 3 DM, 3 Top Ten MCO National & produce the most GC/GP (30) & DW (12) in CFA ID Asia/LA
Old 05-08-2012, 03:03 PM
PetFinder Guru

Hi Coony,

Thanks for the info. Cat dander is another reason why I bathe my cat often. The effects are very bad on people suffering from asthma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coony View Post
It doesn't mean when you don't see the dirt in your cat & it is clean. I have heard of cases whereby a cat owner become allergic to the cat after a few years & in most of this cases it is due to the cleanliness of their cats, like not bathing the cat for a long long time even though it doesn't look dirty at all. There are thing that are far worst then dirt that you can see with your eye, for instant like germ, bacteria & cat dander that can cause allergy.

Cat dander consists of microscopic pieces of dry cat skin which becomes airborne, landing on bedding, curtains, carpeting, and other surfaces, including humans' skin and clothing. Cat dander particles are tiny, about 1/10th the size of dust mites. Dry skin particles wouldn't be particularly allergenic except for this factor: Fel D1(Fel d-1, Fel d 1)

Fel D1 may come from the Latin Felis Domestica. It is a glycoprotein found in the cat's sebaceous glands under the skin, to a lesser degree in cats' saliva, and in cats' urine. When a cat grooms his coat, the Fel D1 present in his saliva lands on the cats' skin and hairs, and combined with the Fel D1 from the sebaceous glands, creates a sort of "double whammy" to allergy sufferers.

Interestingly, the production of Fel D1 appears to be more or less prolific in different types of cats:
Whole cats produce more Fel D1 than neutered cats
Male cats, particularly unaltered, produce more allergens than female cats.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Animal Lover

shazshera is on a distinguished road

Good info Coony. Thanks. Meaning now I have to start bathing my cats more often. During a chat with my vet he did mention to me that the saliva of the cats are the ones or the real culprit that trigger asthma. So I guess he was saying the same thing that you mentioned. He added that there is only one breed of cat that has less side effect to asthmatic people. Short haired. Unfortunately I forgot the the name of the breed. The pix of the cat was amongst the many breeds available shown in a cat's poster at the vet's clinic. Anybody know about this?
Old 05-08-2012, 11:57 PM
PetFinder Guru

Could it be the Sphinx? That breed is bald I doubt it can hold much dander with that extremely fine fur.
Quote:
Good info Coony. Thanks. Meaning now I have to start bathing my cats more often. During a chat with my vet he did mention to me that the saliva of the cats are the ones or the real culprit that trigger asthma. So I guess he was saying the same thing that you mentioned. He added that there is only one breed of cat that has less side effect to asthmatic people. Short haired. Unfortunately I forgot the the name of the breed. The pix of the cat was amongst the many breeds available shown in a cat's poster at the vet's clinic. Anybody know about this?
Old 05-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Gentle Giant

Coony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It is actually a long hair breed, the Siberian which is the 3rd family member of the forest cat among the Maine Coon & the Norwegian.

Best Maine Coon Cattery in CFA ID Asia/LA since 2004
The only Maine Coon cattery with 3 DM, 3 Top Ten MCO National & produce the most GC/GP (30) & DW (12) in CFA ID Asia/LA

Last edited by Coony; 05-10-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:10 PM
PetFinder Guru

I googled the pics. They're beautiful cats and they do look a bit like the MCs. I wonder if they're smaller.

@Coony : Since your MCs are long haired, do they have to be in a/c room all the time? Will our tropical weather be harsh on their fur?
Old 05-14-2012, 09:05 AM
Junior Breeder

archivelore is on a distinguished road

siberian can do well in malaysia just like mc... yes it produce less del f1... i think the pics that u said beautiful is a line of siberian breed...

like some other breeds which has sub-breed... (eg himalayan from persian, highland fold from scottish fold) siberian also has one very unique sub-breed... you can distinguished them from any other siberian base on their coat pattern which is color point... we called them as 'nevskii masquerade' in russian language which translated into the sky masquerade... it is belief that this sub-breed was once a domestic cat for the tsar of russian...

and yes... siberian can grow as big as maine coon... but they are more agile... don't be surprise if they can jump higher than you when you doing your high jump... ^^,

for long hair fan... you need to know that siberian has 3 layers coat... which means... regular grooming please...
Old 05-14-2012, 09:14 PM
PetFinder Guru

Rayquaza17 is on a distinguished road

As far as I know from owning a MC, if you let them at hot whether, their fur might shed a lot but if they are use to it, their fur will adjust to a single layer one so they won't be that hot. If you keep them at A/C room, their fur will adjust back to double layer so it would keep warm. But that is just what I see. Coony will know more bout MC :D
Old 05-15-2012, 09:02 PM
Animal Lover

JonTempleton is on a distinguished road

I asked this question as well. I think bathing the cat is potentially bad for the person who endeavors to do so. At least that would be the case with my cat.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:06 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonTempleton View Post
I asked this question as well. I think bathing the cat is potentially bad for the person who endeavors to do so. At least that would be the case with my cat.
What happened?
Old 05-16-2012, 10:10 PM
PetFinder Guru

I don't think I'm up for that. My cat is short-haired and I already see her fur everywhere. I brush her 2-3 times a week. I don't know what'll happen if I had a long-haired cat D: I might drown in fur

Quote:
Originally Posted by archivelore View Post
siberian can do well in malaysia just like mc... yes it produce less del f1... i think the pics that u said beautiful is a line of siberian breed...

like some other breeds which has sub-breed... (eg himalayan from persian, highland fold from scottish fold) siberian also has one very unique sub-breed... you can distinguished them from any other siberian base on their coat pattern which is color point... we called them as 'nevskii masquerade' in russian language which translated into the sky masquerade... it is belief that this sub-breed was once a domestic cat for the tsar of russian...

and yes... siberian can grow as big as maine coon... but they are more agile... don't be surprise if they can jump higher than you when you doing your high jump... ^^,

for long hair fan... you need to know that siberian has 3 layers coat... which means... regular grooming please...
Old 05-17-2012, 04:47 PM
Animal Lover

tiavanhooper is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

Actually I bathe my cat twice a week or sometimes more. So far he seems to like it, he even purr when I bathe him. I always bathe him with warm water, and apply conditioner after. His fur is extremely soft since he just a normal domestic medium haired cat.

As I read from few internet pages, its is not advisable to bathe cat too frequent as they actually bathe themselves.