Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies > Doggy TV & Photos

Doggy TV & Photos Post photos of your dogs or embed YouTube videos. Nice place to show off your puppies and doggy buddies.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:18 AM
.:: Baby, I dig you! ::.

Location: Subang Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia, World of Animal Lurve...
BabyZee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BabyZee
Cool .:: Made in Japanese Dogs..(^_^) ::.

ok, I'm just giving the title a slightly catchy sound..
But for sure all the dog breeds I'm going to talk about are all originated from Japan and that's what make them so special..

I wanted to know more about Japanese dog breeds after I watched A Tale of Mari and Three Puppies and you can read it more at the A Tale of Mari and Three Puppies thread..
I just can't get enough of Mari's cuteness!!!
Kawaii!!(means cute in Japanese, hope the spelling is right tho..huhu)

Neway as I googled to know more about what Mari breed is, then I know there are several Japanese dog breeds..wah..so special..
So lets start 101 on made in Japanese dogs..

Quote:
The native dogs of Japan are of the classic northern type. They have the typical Akita face, square bodies, wedge-shaped heads, small upright ears, short, thick stand-off coats, and the tail is curled up over the back. They are believed to have special characteristics associated with the concepts of spirit, obedience, loyalty and bravery and their temperaments are always calm and considerate, with great dignity. The eyes tend to be triangular and recessed, "suggesting the burning spirit within."

Most of the Japanese breeds of dogs are associated with particular areas of Japan. They include the Akita inu, Tosa inu, Hokkaido inu, Kishu inu, Kai inu, and Shikoku inu. The only breed which is not associated with a particular area is the Shiba inu ("Shiba" means "brushwood" (kindling) in Japanese, and probably refers to the small size of the breed. Both the terms inu and ken translate into the word "dog".

Many of the Japanese breeds originally carried one of these terms after their names, but modern usage tends to drop the suffix.

The breed differences lie in the sizes, colors, uses and a few other minor features. In fact, they are so much alike that in Japan, these native breeds are shown in one classification, divided into sub-groups: large (Akita), medium (Kai, Kishu, Ainu, Shikoku) and small (Shiba).
The Hokkaido dog, the Kai inu, the Kishu dog, the Shiba inu and the Shikoku inu are undoubtedly the native Japanese breeds. They were bred for hunting by ancient hunters of Japan, called "matagi."

The Japanese Spitz, the Japanese Chin, and Japanese Terrier are not considered native Japanese dogs.

In 1928 Nihon Ken Hozonkai (Nippo), what can be translated as "The organization for the preservation of the Japanese dogs", was founded. The organisation was recognized by the Japanese government as the official body with as mission statement to save the native Japanese dogs from extinction. The first Nippo dog show was held in 1928.
During World War II, the number of the Japanese breeds decreased sharply. But, thanks to the efforts of dog fanciers and the preservation societies, the breeds are now more protected than ever.
In 1948 the Japanese Kennel Club (JKC) was founded and was recognized by the Japanese government as a "common association for all dog breeds". Nippo and JKC work hand in hand for the preservation of the native dogs of Japan.

Most native Japanese breeds are known to be very quiet dogs, only barking "when there is something to bark about". Although they have a history of hunting dogs, they need to be raised in-doors, as member of the family. When left unattended in the backyard, they tend to develop "personality" problems and become very destructive. They are highly pack oriented, thus, isolating them from the pack (i.e. owner and human family) causes them great stress.

Originally both the Akita-Inu, the largest of the Japanese dog of the spitz type, and the Tosa-Inu were considered native Japanese dogs. Strictly speaking, they are not pure native Japanese dog breeds. This is especially true for the Tosa inu, which was bred with various Western breeds. The history of the Akita Inu is somehow different. The first Akitas imported to the US were either of the fighting dog type or of the German Shepherd type. By the time the breed was recognized by the AKC in 1973, the Akitas bred in the US were substantially different from the ancient type Akita, the type promoted by the Japanese conservation societies. The Japan Kennel Club as well as AKIHO (the parent club for the Akita breed in Japan), did not recognize the American Akitas anymore as true Akitas. Over several years Japan convinced the FCI countries to ban any Akitas with black masks, pinto markings, or any black color on the body, from the shows, eventually leading to a seperate entry for this Akita-type under the name Great Japanese Dog (formerly American Akita).

In the United States, Canada, Britain, and the rest of the non-FCI all colors are allowed and no difference in type is made between the American Akita and Japanese Akita. However the differences are not merely a question of color. The Japanese dogs are not as large or massive and heavy boned as the American Akitas. They are square in proportion and have a much more pronounced tuck-up. The head proportions are about 50/50 whereas the American standard recommends a 40/60 ratio between muzzle and top skull. The red and brindle Japanese dogs must have white shading on the face, chest and inner part of the legs and under the tail.

The Tosa is also known as the Japanese Mastiff or Japanese fighting dog 土佐闘犬 and is probably the only dog in the world which is still used quite legally to this day for dog fights. However, the Japanese developed a type of fight according to their mentality that bears no comparison with the notorious pit dog fights held illegally in other parts of the world. More about the Tosa inu.
Taken from Japanese Dog Breeds

Japanese Dog Breeds
The Canine Information Library 2003-2008 © All rights reserved by
www.bulldoginformation.com

Last edited by BabyZee; 11-15-2008 at 07:21 AM.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:33 AM

Default .:: Shiba Inu (Shiba, Shiba Ken, Shiba dog) ::.

Quote:
The Shiba Inu (柴犬) is the smallest of the six original Japanese breeds of dog. With their typical face, square bodies, wedge-shaped heads, small upright ears and their tail curled up over the back, Shibas ressemble a small Akita.

Unlike the Akita and most of the other Japanese dog breeds, for example, the Hokkaido inu, the Kai inu, the Kishu inu, the Tosa inu and the Shikoku inu, the Shiba Inu is not associated with a particular area in Japan. The Kanji Shiba 柴 originally means "brushwood", "firewood" (i.e. small branches, kindling) and was probably used symbolically to refer to the small size of this breed. Other popular explanations are that the dogs were named after the brushwood bushes where they hunted or after the autumn color of the leaves of these same brushwood bushes which resemble the dog's coat color. The japanese word inu translates into "dog", but modern usage tends to drop the suffix. In translations, these explanations are often combined and the Shiba is then referred to as the "little brushwood dog." These explanations are, however, unlikely. A first indication is that the Japanese translate the Kanji combination Shiba Inu 柴犬 into "midget dog" in English. A second proof is the existence of other words where the Kanji Shiba 柴 is used as a diminutive, for example in 柴 栗 shiba guri, meaning "dwarf chestnut", where shiba stands for "dwarf".

The Shiba dog is also believed to be one of Japan's most ancient breeds. It is thought that the Shiba came to Japan with the peoples who migrated to Japan from the south in the Jomon Period (about 8000 B.C. to 200 B.C.). Genetic variability studies carried out on a sample of 11 Asian dogs also showed that among the East Asian dog breeds the Shiba exhibited the lowest genetic diversity, indicating again that this is one of the most ancient and most "primitive" of dog breeds.
Read more on Shiba Inu, here...

Old 11-15-2008, 06:41 AM

Default .:: Kai Inu (japanese Kai Dog, Tora Dog, Kai Ken) ::.

Quote:
The Kai inu 甲斐犬 originated from medium-sized dogs that existed in Japan in the ancient times. It became established as a breed in the Kai district (Yamanashi Prefecture), which is surrounded by mountains, where it served as a tireless, all-weather hunting breed. Like the other native Japanese dog breeds, the Japanese Kai dog is a stocky, spitz-type breed with a thick neck, pricked ears and a tightly curled tail. He can be distinguished from the other Japanese dogs by his narrower skull and slightly more tapered head.

Another name for this breed is "Kai tora-ken", tora meaning tiger. Fanciers of the breed believe the dog's wild, untamable disposition influenced the choice, but it is more likely derived from the dog's brindle coat. A distinguishing feature in this dog is, indeed, its black (Kuro-Tora), red (Aka-Tora) or red-black (Chu-Tora) brindled coat. Puppies are all born solid-colored and the brindle pattern emerges as the puppy matures, but may not be apparent until after six months of age.

As former hunting dogs of the matagi for the hunt on wild bear and deer, they were often referred to as "deerhounds".

Their strong inclination to form a pack is thought to have contributed towards maintaining the purity of the breed. With his "wild", untamed temperament, the Kai dog was long considered too rough to make a good house pet. However, when living within the family, the Kai dog is a one-man dog with people and very loyal to his master. The breed was designated as a "natural monument" in 1934.

The first Kai dogs, three females and one male, were imported to the US in 1990.
Know more about Kai Inu here...

Old 11-15-2008, 06:49 AM

Default .:: Hokkaido Inu (Ainu ken, Hokkaido ken, Ainu dog, Hokkaido dog, choken) ::.

Quote:
The Hokkaido Inu 北海道犬 or Ainu dog is considered by some to be the oldest and the "wildest" of the Japanese breeds. It is said to have originated from medium-sized Japanese dogs that accompanied migrants from Honshu (the main island of Japan) to Hokkaido during the Kamakura era (in the 1140s), when exchanges were developing between Hokkaido and the Tohoku District. It also came to be known as the "Ainu-ken" since 1869 when a British gentleman T. Blakiston named the dog the Ainu Dog, after the Ainu, the former inhabitants of Hokkaido. "Ainu" means "human." Actually, the Ainu people were the indigenous people of Japan archipelago who were driven to the remote northern island of Hokkaido on the arrival of the Yamato people. They were described by the new conquerors as a "strange, white, hairy-bodied" race". These traits were overly exaggerated, leading many scholars to think that the Ainu were actually Caucasians, who only seemed "hairy-bodied and strange" from the Japanese point of view.

The Ainu people managed to survive in the rugged, often freezing conditions as gathereres-hunters and from the earliest times had dogs with them who they revered and buried in the same fashion as humans.
They seem to have been sedentary fishers and marine hunters, and their dogs were apparently trained to catch salmon during the heavy spring salmon runs. The only land animal that was hunted was the bear where the the Ainu dog, with his fearless and sharp character also proved very helpful

Although the Ainu dog is strongly related to the history of the Ainu people, these dogs have almost always been called Hokkaido-Ken by the Japanese. In 1937 Hokkaido-inu was declared the official name of the breed.

The physique of the Hokkaido enables it to withstand severe cold and heavy snowfalls. It is a wild and powerful dog by nature. It is always alert and suspicious by nature, making him an excellent watch dog. In addition to being a fearless hunter, it is extremely loyal and devoted to its owner. To show its owner that he is happy to see him, the Hokkaido inu howls like a wolf. He is impulsive and fast and has a light gait. Coat colors are usually red or white, but black, sesame, brindle and fawn are also acceptable. Most dogs have black spots on their tongue, suggesting an ancestral genetic link with the Chinese Chow Chow and the Shar pei.
Read more at here...

Sorry, can't find many pics for this breed..huhu..

Last edited by BabyZee; 11-15-2008 at 06:57 AM.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:59 AM

Default .:: Kishu Inu (Kishu Ken,Kyushu) ::.

Read more about Kishu Inu here..
Sorry, didn't manage to copy paste some of the infos here..huhu..

Old 11-15-2008, 07:04 AM

Default .:: Shikoku Inu (Shikoku dog, Kochi ken, Kochi dog) ::.

Quote:
The Shikoku inu 四国犬 is one of the native Japanese breeds intermediate in size between the large Akita and the small Shiba inu. It was bred as a hunting dog, mainly for hunting deer and boar in the mountainous districts of Kochi Prefecture. It is sometimes called "Kochi-ken".

A study of the 1930s carried out by the Japanese cynologist Haruo Isogai classified all native Japanese dog breeds into three categories: large, medium and small sized. The Shikoku belongs to the Shika-inus, i.e. the medium-sized dogs. Ohter medium-sized dogs are the Kai inu and the Kishu inu. They are all very similar with overlapping colors and only minor differences in size and morphological points, with the Shikoku being the smallest of the three Shika inus. Like the Kai dog, the Shikoku inu was used for hunting deers and were often referred to as "deerhounds".
Read more on Shikoku Inu here...

Old 11-15-2008, 07:09 AM

Default .:: Tosa Inu, Tosa Ken ::.

Read more about Tosa Inu here..
Sorry, didn't manage to copy paste some of the infos here too..huhu..

Old 11-15-2008, 07:17 AM

Default .:: Akita Inu (Akita, Akita Dog, Japanese Akita) ::.

Know more on Akita Inu here...
Sorry, didn't manage to copy paste some infos on Akita breed too..huhu..

Japanese Dog Breeds
The Canine Information Library 2003-2008 © All rights reserved by
www.bulldoginformation.com
Old 11-15-2008, 10:07 AM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation
Default Re: .:: Akita Inu (Akita, Akita Dog, Japanese Akita) ::.

Hi,
This breed my member Mitsuru Matsukihira and Joey. This dog don't like other dog. It will fight. He record for fighting is zero loss.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog is my buddy View Post
Hi,
This breed my member Mitsuru Matsukihira and Joey. This dog don't like other dog. It will fight. He record for fighting is zero loss.

are they staying in malaysia?heh..
cause i really never see an akita inu or shiba inu breed in malaysia...
hardly never...
and i like the way they look, very fluffy, and love the rounded tail so much!
Old 11-15-2008, 03:41 PM
PetFinder Moderator

baby,
Yea, we meet at every week end. He have a local chinese wife.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:04 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

Clement, is this the guy who owned the St. Bernard?

Quote:
baby,
Yea, we meet at every week end. He have a local chinese wife.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:55 PM
PetFinder Moderator

Yea, He owned the St.Bernard. The Akita only have one friend is St.bernard.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:31 PM
LeenMaF|a

Lyn_Cat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: .:: Made in Japanese Dogs..(^_^) ::.

But i still loved kimora Lee pomeranian ( black & white) cuteeee......
like this....

Old 11-17-2008, 01:05 AM
PetFinder Moderator

hi,
here akita Chiro and his only friend taro.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:29 AM
PetFinder Wowwow

vivi is on a distinguished road

Dog is my buddy, Is ur friend a dog trainer? Wow what a nice training place.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:36 AM
PetFinder Moderator

Vivi,
We are a non-profit organization dog club at penang, we do every week end at Dalat international school. We have few voluntee dog trainer. The agility is fun.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:54 PM
PetFinder Wowwow

vivi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Vivi,
We are a non-profit organization dog club at penang, we do every week end at Dalat international school. We have few voluntee dog trainer. The agility is fun.
Buddy,
Gee.... wish here also got volunteer trainer here.