Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens

Cats & Kittens General information and discussions on taking care of your feline buddy

Old 08-19-2008, 10:48 AM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road
Default Need help with taming feral kittens

hi everyone,
some of you know that i had been trying to catch a female cat and her three kittens for more than a month now. well, i have recently succeeded in doing just that. first catching two of the kittens on saturday night and catching mama and the remaining kitten early this morning. mama cat is very friendly and i believe that she was a pet at one point but her kittens are the wildest, scariest, most vicious kittens i have ever come across. they are feral x 1000 i have fostered 13 kittens in the past and though they may have been afraid at first, they quickly got over their fear as curiosity and playfulness inevitably took over. these guys are different, the first two kittens that i caught have been hiding in their hooded litter box since saturday. they will not come out. they are scared to death! i can't even clean the litter box because they are so scared. any suggestions as to how i can make them feel more comfortable and secure? help please!

they are so different from Little One, whom i have been fostering for over a month.. little one is a joy!!
Old 08-21-2008, 02:45 PM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need help with taming feral kittens

hi lynie

Part 2: Socialization of Feral Kittens

pls go to this link : http://cats.about.com/library/guest/ucfeature4b.htm

due to copyright issues, i can't post the whole article here only an excerpt and the link to this website. i've jsut found it and think it might be workable, it's worth a try,

good luck. except below :-

Part 2: Socialization of Feral Kittens

Lost or abandoned domestic female cats teach their offspring to be "feral." These latent instincts, acquired from their African Wildcat ancestors, help them to survive in nature. Feral cats are elusive, often nocturnal, and usually fearful of humans. Like most wild animals, they will not attack if unprovoked, but will defend themselves if threatened or cornered. Their strongest instinct is to run. If they feel trapped and escape is blocked they will bite or scratch.

Never try to catch a feral by hand. Always use a humane trap. I suggest a semi-heavy long sleeved shirt, jeans, and thick gloves, for your protection and depending on the age of the feral.

I know of two methods that for socializing ferals that will work:

* The one you are about to read, and I believe to be the one most commonly used.
* The other is something on the new side, called "The T Touch". I have heard some very positive comments about, but as of yet have not attempted it myself.

if you can't get the link let me know
Old 08-21-2008, 04:22 PM
PetFinder Guru

thanks! the article's very helpful. printed it out and will be giving it my best shot once i get home.. hopefully the little rascals will come around before too long.. i hope its not too late!! they look around 4 months old...

wish me luck!!
Old 08-21-2008, 04:50 PM
Banned

no worries, lynie. my cats were past 4 months old when i approached them and i spent the next 5-6 months trying to get them to trust me enough to take food from me. all taht time, i used to throw their kibbles out to them at my backyard, pieces by pieces!

i know you can do it...all the way behind you
Old 08-25-2008, 10:12 AM
PetFinder Guru

SIGHHHHH*
the kittens are not "deferalizing" at all. i don't understand what i'm doing wrong. i have spent hours everyday sitting in the room with them and being as gentle and non-threatening as humanly possible.
cleaning the litter boxes is still an ordeal.. topping up their water and food bowls is still traumatizing for them. everytime i enter the room they scuttle to their corners and make themselves as small as possible.. one of growls constantly.. the rest just hiss everytime i come near even though i don't look at them.. mama cat is no help.. though the kittens see that she is totally relaxed and friendly with me they do not follow her example at all. in fact they seem completely bewildered that she associates with such a horrible creature. what do i dooooooo? oh and one more thing and this you can relate to ashley, MAMA CAT IS PREGNANT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2008, 01:52 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynielime View Post
SIGHHHHH*
the kittens are not "deferalizing" at all. i don't understand what i'm doing wrong. i have spent hours everyday sitting in the room with them and being as gentle and non-threatening as humanly possible.
cleaning the litter boxes is still an ordeal.. topping up their water and food bowls is still traumatizing for them. everytime i enter the room they scuttle to their corners and make themselves as small as possible.. one of growls constantly.. the rest just hiss everytime i come near even though i don't look at them.. mama cat is no help.. though the kittens see that she is totally relaxed and friendly with me they do not follow her example at all. in fact they seem completely bewildered that she associates with such a horrible creature. what do i dooooooo? oh and one more thing and this you can relate to ashley, MAMA CAT IS PREGNANT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it takes time and patience, Lyn. The kittens were not socialized from "infanthood", so it's natural for them to feel scared. The hisses and growls are signs that they are terrified of you. They see you as the predator, and do not understand why their mama is not afraid of the predator. You have to be patient. It might take anything from 4 to 6 weeks for them to get used to you.

At my old home, there were a lot of stray families. I noticed that it was easier for me to feed the mothers than their kittens. Their mothers may continue to eat if I walk out and look at them, but the kittens would scurry away and hide under the cars immediately.

But do be mindful of their claws and little teeth. Until they are tamed, do not try to pick them up with your bare hands. The little kittens may bite or scratch you. And believe me, they will draw blood in their fear and terror of being handled. I'm speaking from experience. I had to go to a doctor once because I made the mistake of picking up a little kitten from inside a drain. It had fallen into a deep drain and I reached in and picked it up with my bare hands.

P/S: This article might be useful as a guide on how to socialize your kittens. http://catnet.stanford.edu/articles/...ialization.pdf
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Last edited by blackie007; 08-25-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:56 PM
PetFinder Guru

i already got scratched!! a zillion little scratches on my left leg and right hand.. ouch!! ahh well i've learned my lesson.. gloves and towel from now on...
Old 08-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road

Yes, lynie.They need time to be able to socialize with human.I have mother cat with 6 kittens that I regularly feed on the ground floor of our apartment.Facing the same problem.Mother is quite tame but the not the kittens.

4-6 weeks could be too early.Sometimes it takes up about 3 mths for the kittens to trust you. I experienced this before.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:09 PM
PetFinder Guru

up to 3 months??? argh!!!! mama cat would have given birth by then... i'll have a million cats and kittens in my house! i think i've bitten off more than i can chew.. i should've caught mama cat earlier.. was hoping she wouldn't get preggers so fast!!
Old 08-29-2008, 09:44 AM
PetFinder Guru

here are some photos of the 3 kittens and their mama. their names are Mama Cat, Socks, Mr Fluffers, and Cocochino.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20080828_02.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	501   Click image for larger version

Name:	20080828_04.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	502   Click image for larger version

Name:	20080828_12.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	503   Click image for larger version

Name:	20080828_07.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	504   Click image for larger version

Name:	20080829_19.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	505  

Old 08-29-2008, 09:47 AM
Animal Lover

aiyoh!! so cutelah liynie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they don't look feral at all.they have this manja look!! wuah!!! I want,I want.sob!!sob!! i wish I can have them.

Quote:
here are some photos of the 3 kittens and their mama. their names are Mama Cat, Socks, Mr Fluffers, and Cocochino.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:50 AM
PetFinder Guru

and more photos..... the siamese looking one has short hair. the black one and the dark brown ones have medium length hair and fluffy shaggy tails. they're all so cute!! the light grey one is mama cat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20080829_24.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	506   Click image for larger version

Name:	20080829_25.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	507   Click image for larger version

Name:	20080829_28.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	508   Click image for larger version

Name:	20080829_33.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	509   Click image for larger version

Name:	20080829_31.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	510  

Last edited by lynielime; 08-29-2008 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:56 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
aiyoh!! so cutelah liynie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they don't look feral at all.they have this manja look!! wuah!!! I want,I want.sob!!sob!! i wish I can have them.
yeah they are super cute! and gorgeous! its unbelievable, but the siamese looking one is the most ganas of all!! still growls and hisses at me.. i can't even check if that one is a girl or a boy.. i might lose a finger. but we are slowly making progress.. yesterday i bought them new toys and catnip and they played with me a bit.. still very cautious though.. the black one let me pet him last night and he took treats from my fingers and licked my hands.. the other two will only take treats from me if i put them on a spoon
Old 08-29-2008, 10:20 AM
Animal Lover

they all look so cute.wow!!! very ganas ah?? looks can be deceiving eh?? Did you bath them?? They look clean.Are you going to give them up for adoption??

Quote:
yeah they are super cute! and gorgeous! its unbelievable, but the siamese looking one is the most ganas of all!! still growls and hisses at me.. i can't even check if that one is a girl or a boy.. i might lose a finger. but we are slowly making progress.. yesterday i bought them new toys and catnip and they played with me a bit.. still very cautious though.. the black one let me pet him last night and he took treats from my fingers and licked my hands.. the other two will only take treats from me if i put them on a spoon
Old 08-29-2008, 10:47 AM
PetFinder Guru

nope i didn't bathe them.. omg they would be furious and totally terrified!! and my hands would be shredded!!! they are all for adoption. including mama cat after she is neutered. but since there is a possibility she is pregnant, that will not be possible for a few months.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:07 PM
PetFinder Guru

filinlee is on a distinguished road

I want this one....!~

eheheh... but cannot... sooooo cute...omg....i feel so geram wanna picit2 them oni....

yea la june.. the looks so deceiving one... where got the feral look.... ehehehehe
Old 08-29-2008, 12:36 PM
Animal Lover

kikikikikikikikikik!!! With this kind of look,your inbox will be flooded the moment you open for adoption.

Quote:
nope i didn't bathe them.. omg they would be furious and totally terrified!! and my hands would be shredded!!! they are all for adoption. including mama cat after she is neutered. but since there is a possibility she is pregnant, that will not be possible for a few months.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:01 PM
Banned

hi lynie

thanks for keeping us posted. you're doing a good job because they have that fearful look in their eyes. congrats..i'm sorrry i'm not able to help you.

hang in there...all they need is lots of love .

as for mama, you're right, it's either you get her to do abortion immediately (and that's tough right?) or let her go full term and neuter after delivery.

why don't you open up the kittens for adoption now? has the vet estimate how old they are?

you know what? when your mama cat delivers and samantha delivers, we're both going to sigh with relief and look forward to being "foster feline grandparents"?
Old 08-29-2008, 02:48 PM
PetFinder Guru

hatemetoday is on a distinguished road

Quote:
huwaaa huwaaaa..i wishhh i wishh...the black one...memang comel ...
Old 08-29-2008, 02:59 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by filinlee View Post

I want this one....!~

eheheh... but cannot... sooooo cute...omg....i feel so geram wanna picit2 them oni....

yea la june.. the looks so deceiving one... where got the feral look.... ehehehehe
hahahahahaha yeah i know!! they look so sweet and gorgeous! i'm dying to pick them up and give them a long cuddle. but they are too scared for that right now. i don't want to scar them emotionally any further...