Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies

Dogs & Puppies General information and discussions on taking care of your canine buddy

Old 05-20-2009, 03:13 PM
PetFinder Buddy

baca882004 is on a distinguished road
Default Should Buy? Should Not Buy?

Saw cute small breed puppy in Petshop. Some kind of mix breed, not pure. Six months already, grew up in a cage. Probably not much socialization skills. Heard she had slight medical needs, collapsed once.

I know I can give her better environment at home. Give her better medical attention too, proper blood tests and all that.

Question is, should one just leave her there to teach breeders a lesson? I mean, the more we buy, the more problematic puppies will be produced. But if not bring home, kasian see puppy there.

Susah, the choices we have to make.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Animal Lover

chino is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Should Buy? Should Not Buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by baca882004 View Post
Saw cute small breed puppy in Petshop. Some kind of mix breed, not pure. Six months already, grew up in a cage. Probably not much socialization skills. Heard she had slight medical needs, collapsed once.

I know I can give her better environment at home. Give her better medical attention too, proper blood tests and all that.

Question is, should one just leave her there to teach breeders a lesson? I mean, the more we buy, the more problematic puppies will be produced. But if not bring home, kasian see puppy there.

Susah, the choices we have to make.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:27 PM
Animal Lover

chino is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino View Post
Dear Baca,if we buy ..we save the puppy..if X laku the puppy...mayb will abandon by petshop owner,and got killed also.many petshop like this..wat to d0 ???really cant answer......but if the law to protect animals should b tighten for sure...just my thought !!!
Old 05-20-2009, 03:33 PM
PetFinder Guru

acsyen is on a distinguished road

Well you are right.. This is a hard choice. I personally never supported buying dogs. And the pet shops i go to don't sell pets. But there is 1 pet shop that I go to that sells pets. They will give the dog away for free if it is too old and can't be sold. They will ask me to find a good home for the dog.

But I do have a friend who will actually buy these pet shop dogs which are usually close to a yr old, neuter them and take care of the medical side then rehome the dogs to a good home. But my friend will press the pet shop till the price goes really low. If they return to breeder they won't make a profit and also they are getting bad karma for returning the dog to hell. This usually works.. :) So it is totally up to you to get the dog or not.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:38 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Thanks ladies, at least some ideas to bounce around.

It's been a week already and am still un-decided. Am giving it another week to let it simmer a bit longer. Will see how it goes.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

Once you clear that shelf space, it will be filled by another similar pup ... and after that another ... then another ... how many such sick and suffering pups are you (and other kind-hearted souls) gonna "save" with the breeder laughing all the way to the bank? They are using emotional blackmail to sell, knowing full well that sick and flawed pets will also sell because people will be moved out of pity. It is part of the cruel marketing strategy. I really hate such people and pray that they will be paid in full one day ....
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 05-20-2009, 06:15 PM
PetFinder Guru

Sashy is on a distinguished road

Agree with furkids. Every pup you buy, they breed more, then you condemn more pups and dogs to a miserable life. Feel bad for the sick pup .. but at least if he dies, then no profit, then hopefully they either improve their conditions and be more responsible, or stop doing this business.

If you really want a pure breed, buy from a responsible breeder, but check on them too. Not all home breeder are good. Backyard breeder at home also can say 'oh home bred'
Old 05-20-2009, 07:34 PM
PetFinder Buddy

fffrrr is on a distinguished road

This is a VERY tough decision to make. Although I agree with Furkid, but I can't help but feel for that one unfortunate pup. Sigh. I try to ignore what my heart wants for it but sometimes you can't let it go. Goodluck with whatever decision you make!
Old 05-20-2009, 07:41 PM
PetFinder Buddy

No, it's not the pedigree portion that I'm looking for. Just felt that I can give the little gal more than what she's getting now. Noticed her because her fur wasn't nice, then through the conversation with petshop, found that she may not be feeling well, not sure why also.

I think it's woman's instinct to wanna protect the weak loh. But I know all the problems that Sashy and Furkids said. That's why dilema now.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:35 PM
PetFinder Guru

Sashy is on a distinguished road

Also known as damned if you do, damned if you don't :(
Old 05-20-2009, 09:05 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation

Don't support pet shop selling backyard puppy. don't buy anything for those shop.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:13 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog is my buddy View Post
Don't support pet shop selling backyard puppy. don't buy anything for those shop.
Yes, trying...definitely trying to be supportive of only good petshops.
Unfortunately there are only like less than 10 PetShops that I know of in Kuching. So if I boycott some more, I have no where to shop already.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:27 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation

Hahahaha, no choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by baca882004 View Post
Yes, trying...definitely trying to be supportive of only good petshops.
Unfortunately there are only like less than 10 PetShops that I know of in Kuching. So if I boycott some more, I have no where to shop already.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:24 AM
i'm da devil.....

jenn is on a distinguished road

EM... mind me asking how much r they selling da doggy?
Old 05-22-2009, 11:38 AM
PetFinder Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn View Post
EM... mind me asking how much r they selling da doggy?
Not a lot lah. Around RM300++ I think.
This petshop has good staff & management and they have done a bit of rehoming themselves. But still, what kind of breeder will anyhow breed and not take good care of the puppies? A bit reluctant to support these type of breeders.

But on other hand, pity the little gal. I tried not to go back too much, nanti "jatuh hati" and won't be able to make rational decisions loh.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:29 PM
i'm da devil.....

jenn is on a distinguished road

HMPF... i'm just wondering will this people actually pick up all this cross breed and resell them or maybe they have some customer's pet accidently got pregnent and the pups been send to the pet shop? then they can get profit from all this cross breed?
Old 05-29-2009, 08:41 AM
PetFinder Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn View Post
HMPF... i'm just wondering will this people actually pick up all this cross breed and resell them or maybe they have some customer's pet accidently got pregnent and the pups been send to the pet shop? then they can get profit from all this cross breed?
By "this people", you mean the pet shop? Not sure for the rest, but in this case I believe breeders approaches them. However, if doubt if anybody can get much profit from cross breeds.