Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies

Dogs & Puppies General information and discussions on taking care of your canine buddy

Old 08-03-2013, 01:37 PM
Animal Lover

kshong85 is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for Goldern Retriever / Beagle for adoption in Puchong

Hi i'm staying with my gf in puncak jalil and we are looking for a dog for adoption.
We previously have a poodle mix but was stolen in a friends house few years back. :(
We would be glad to get a new one.

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2013, 09:47 AM
Animal Lover

Jazzli is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Looking for Goldern Retriever / Beagle for adoption in Puchong

Hi have you adopted any? Do you consider 6 months old mountain dog.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:37 PM
Animal Lover

Rambo's Mum is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Looking for Goldern Retriever / Beagle for adoption in Puchong

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshong85 View Post
Hi i'm staying with my gf in puncak jalil and we are looking for a dog for adoption.
We previously have a poodle mix but was stolen in a friends house few years back. :(
We would be glad to get a new one.

Thanks!
Have you considered all possibilities of owning a golden? If not don't! Owning goldens must have 100% dedication. Let me share with you my experience of owning a golden.

I have a beautiful golden boy aged 22 months old only. He looks good on the surface but far from it. Majority goldens are very susceptible to skin problems. Mine is due to food and environment. Almost every other week we will be trotting off to the vet office because of his skin. Oh, yes they are famous for Malassezia too. He would break out in rashes or hotspots should he ingested something wrong. I've to be extra careful with his food and treats. Right now he is dining on turkey! Yup, raw turkey! Which is extremely hard to find in JB not to mention expensive! Thank god I can manage to buy it from Singapore since I work there. Any other protein and he would break out! His treats is only venison. Strictly no wheat, corn, flour or any other protein. My boyfriend gave him a few dog biscuits last week Thursday and this Monday he came down with rashes on his flanks and off we went to the vet. Food and med bills take up a chunk of my salary. If you can't afford the food and med bills don't own one!

Goldens are really family dogs meaning they are very attached to you. My golden never sleep outside the house compound at all not even when I goes to work. I trained him well where he will potty/peed at a certain spot inside the house. Sadly my little boy would rather hold his pee/poo till I comes home which worries the hell out of me.

They are 100% attention and affection seekers. They don't like to be ignore or neglected. Whenever I'm home he would seek me out for loving. You neglect them, they will go into depression. Yes, dogs can go into depressions and depressions can also lead to health problems for them. So you need to pay them lots of attention like taking them out for long walks, play or swim. Make them happy and they make you happy. I take him out for walks morning and evening for at least 45 mins each session! No matter how late I got home, I will make it a point to walk him. Plus walking him is bonding with him. No stinging on that. They need the exercises. So, if you can't give him the time of the day, don't own a golden!

Goldens shed a lot I mean really a lot! They shed heavier still every twice a year which I prefer to call it molting (changing of hair) Their fur/hairs get into everywhere in the house, on you and even your food. So you need to combed their fur/hair every day. No neglect in that department. I swept/vacuum/mopped the house twice a day! So, if you can't handle their fur/hair forget about owning one!

Goldens are not for everybody. It's easy to get one but it's definitely not easy to take care of one.

Goldens are high maintenance. If you asked me if I was given the second chance to own a dog again and what kind would I choose. I would still go for goldens. To me they are worth the work and efforts.

Everyone in my neighbourhood even the security guards commented how handsome and well-cared for my boy is but they didn't know the amount of hard work I put in to make him look good and well-mannered. Yup, I enrolled him in training school. Yes, everyone can teach the basic of sit, down, stay but enrolling him in school ensure that he has exercise and interaction with other dogs.

Bottom line is, if you don't have the resources and the time of the day for your dog don't own it. I've seen tons of golden owners that neglect, abused and even abandon their goldens when they could not coop or overwhelmed with their problems. Don't own a golden for the sake of owning one. Get a mongrel! If you think of getting a dog just to guard your house hell, just install a CCTV with alarm!

Just my two sen!

Last edited by Rambo's Mum; 08-11-2013 at 02:27 PM.