Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > General Discussion

General Discussion General information and discuss on animal rescue, adoption and advocacy

Old 06-21-2010, 01:15 AM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation
Default What to Do if You Suspect Pet Abuse. Please Report to us

What Are the Signs?

There is a difference between unintentional or intentional neglect and outright abuse. Unintentional neglect includes not being aware of how to take care of a pet:

The owner is ignorant of the type and amount of food to feed the animal.

The owner doesn't know that the pet needs to be regularly brushed and groomed.

The owner may not understand the signs of disease or distress in their pet.

The owner may not be aware that someone else, their child perhaps, is hurting the animal. The child may not even understand the consequence of his or her actions.

Intentional neglect is just that – the owner purposefully doesn't feed or water the animal; leaves the pet outside in harsh weather; and/or forces the pet to live in dangerous, unsanitary conditions.

Abuse is much easier to identify: choking, beating, kicking, forcing an animal's head under water, etc.

What Should You Do

1. First assess the situation. If the animal appears neglected, you may in fact not be seeing the times when the animal is fed, groomed and watered. Recommends that you observe the pet at different times of the day before taking the next step.

2. If you see outright abuse or neglect, resist the impulse to confront the owner. This is for your safety and in the pet's long-term interest. Call your local humane officer or police department.

3. If possible, videotape or photograph the neglect or abuse. In cases of neglect, many of the situations are caused by simple ignorance. Abused pets, however, may be taken away by the city or county for their own safety. The owner may try to get another pet – if this happens, contact the police or humane officer immediately.

The Problem of Animal Collectors

Multiple-pet households brings up the problem of animal collectors. Many of these people appear to "love" animals; they often claim they are rescuing animals from euthanasia. But in fact they are addicted to collecting animals that they cannot properly feed, maintain or house.

Because it is a symptom of a disorder, animal collectors are often unaware of the suffering they cause animals, and they deny reality; they will insist ill animals are healthy. Collectors often know how to elicit public sympathy – even to the point of getting public funds.

Here are some of the things to look out for:

A strong urine or feces smell.

An equally strong desire for privacy on the part of the collector; they don't allow people in their homes.

A very large number of animals around the house.

Refusal to part with animals through adoption. Collectors often do not even part with dead animals.

The regular arrival of new animals.

Large piles of garbage, newspapers, or other material - animal collectors sometimes collect things other than just animals.

Again, you should contact your local humane officer or police department if you suspect abuse or neglect.

Please Report to us http://forums.petfinder.my

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:47 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What to Do if You Suspect Pet Abuse. Please Report to us

Thank you for posting this, DIMB!

I've read that in some countries, police are learning to pay close attention to reports of animal abuse. Why? They are discovering that people who deliberately abuse or carelessly neglect animals may be doing the same to their children.

For example, a vet in the US was treating a dog's injuries. He felt certain that the dog's broken bones were from repeated beatings. He notified the police, and when they went to the home, they found a badly bruised and terrified little boy inside the house.

Regardless, animals deserve protection, and it's good to know who to call when we notice a problem. Thanks again.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:44 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

Malaysia is very, very far behind these developed countries. The KTM dog issue is still pending, furious as the public may be. The Langkawi case where the neighbour killed someone's puppy which wandered into his compound pun dah senyap. The Pulau Ketam dog-dumping on deserted islands has resumed ...

Even spousal abuse in this country where the woman is beaten up is brushed off as a trivial domestic problem when she tries to make a police report, enabling many abusive men to blatantly taunt their female partners with words like, " You go to the police lah, see if anyone helps you ....". This is sadly reported to marriage counsellors and authorities doing research on abused women in the country.
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 09-14-2010, 12:06 AM
Animal Lover

Djaa87 is on a distinguished road

this is wut i had learned recently, if u come across a case that u fell u need to report, u have to take action fast n dun giv up trying to!!

Recently, I'd juz moved into a house with my frens. The first night we were there, we heard the sound of dog barking nonstop till morning. I thought the dogs were fighting. so when i got up, I went to the back of the house n I saw a dog in a very sad condition. The place were dirty and he was struggling to get himself free from a collar that was tied to the fence. I guess he was barking all night bcoz it was cold, rainy and he's stuck with the collar.

The first few days I call police to report about it. I said the owner neglect the animal n cause discomfort to the residence as the dog was barking all night long. n guess wut? nothing happened..even after I report it the 2nd time. at that time I didnt call spca bcoz i didnt manage to get their no.

I get spca ampang no from internt, then I call them. They said I have to make report online. Juz one day after I make the report, one of the staff call me to rectify the location. I was at my parent's house so i didnt know how they get to talk to the owner. In the evening, they call back n said they have met the owner n tell him/her to take better care of the dog. For now, I dont know the status n i cant wait to see whether the owner had listen to spca or not. Hopefully he does, im going update abt it when i get back home.

anw, wut I can say here, the police might not care abt such cases, but spca did!! they take action n u can count on them. PLEASE report the case if u feel like u have to. Take picture as evidence. Believe me, it's worth trying.

If u dont help the animals, who will? stop thinking that there might be sumbody else reporting the case bcoz usually there r none. So be an aware citizen, u can change the life of the ones u help..
Old 09-14-2010, 09:04 AM
PetFinder Guru

MidnightMaiden is on a distinguished road

Thanks Djaa, for taking action and not giving up after the first try. You might just have saved the life of a helpless animal in need.

Perhaps you can post here the link for the page where people can make the online report to SPCA for such cases. This would give easy access to those in a similar position, wanting to report abuse of animals, but not knowing what to do & who to turn to.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:11 PM
PetFinder Guru

adrianng87 is on a distinguished road

a very good job there Djaa87.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:32 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianng87 View Post
a very good job there Djaa87.
Friend, amacam kita punya Whisky and Snow White cun-cun?
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 09-14-2010, 02:42 PM
PetFinder Guru

hi furkids,
hehehe, mestila cun...
nnt bile i da snap gmba whisky (aka kacang) i will post kat thread about die punye recovery.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:33 PM
Animal Lover

wohtur is on a distinguished road

i want advise. dogs in shelter skin problem n sick. food no enough. owner dont care, what to do?
Old 11-05-2010, 08:28 PM
PetFinder Buddy

sphinxlover is on a distinguished road

what if its a school that is negleting its pets who do i contact???? I saw some rabbits at my brother sekolah rendah and they were in very bad shape. Kurap everywhere and one rabbit had a very bad cut on its body, it was soo sad. I wanted to just take the rabbits and send it to the vet myself. But then I'll be filed for theft... Do i go and talk to the principle???
Old 11-05-2010, 08:56 PM
PetFinder Guru

It's worth a try I guess. If principle is not paying attention, you might wanna ask who is in-charge of the rabbits.