Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens

Cats & Kittens General information and discussions on taking care of your feline buddy

Old 04-14-2011, 11:33 PM
Animal Lover

manja is on a distinguished road
Default Fip

My cat is suspected with FIP. I feel so helpless. He is now on antibiotics and liver medication. Vet said it could also be liver problems but I just feel that is not so. He is getting weaker. He is eating and drinking less. He is getting dehydrated by the day. I know I may loose him but I am still hoping for a miracle.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:07 AM
Animal Lover

ah loy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fip

Quote:
Originally Posted by manja View Post
My cat is suspected with FIP. I feel so helpless. He is now on antibiotics and liver medication. Vet said it could also be liver problems but I just feel that is not so. He is getting weaker. He is eating and drinking less. He is getting dehydrated by the day. I know I may loose him but I am still hoping for a miracle.
hope he get better soon
Old 04-15-2011, 08:44 AM
PetFinder Guru

sharina is on a distinguished road

*hugs* we hope for the best...
Old 04-15-2011, 09:41 AM
PetFinder Guru

Felix The Cat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I am so sorry to hear about your cat.
I lost a cat a few years back to FIP and it was not easy
First of all you need to diagnosed if your cat is suffering from FIP.
Get a blood test done for RM60.00
You can get the results within 20 minutes.
Then the Vet will advise you what to do and what medication can be given to prolonge your cats life.
Remember, there is no cure for FIP only medication to boost up its immune system and make it stronger to fight the virus.
There is no guarantee that your cat will survive but there had been cases whereby cats with FIP had lived for a few years.
Also, cats with FIP cannot be mixed with other cats so you have to make sure that the other cats are being isolated from this sick one.
No sharing of food, water and litter box.
Disinfect your house with clorex diluted in water so that the virus germs can be killed.
Also make sure that the cat with FIP is not stressed as stress will make it even more sick.
If you want you can also try transfer factor but its very expensive and not sure if you are willing to give it a try or not.

Good Luck and be strong!

Felix The Cat - Dee wonderful wonderful cat!
http://felixthecats.weebly.com
http://livinginmyworld-phyllis.blogspot.com/
Old 04-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Animal Lover

My cat was admitted at the vet yesterday evening to extract fluid from his abdomen. Temporarily it will give him a big relief but the fluid will return. As the vet said there is no cure and i have to consider putting him to sleep and at the moment i cannot bear to think about it. I know i must consider too of his suffering but do i have the right to take his life away?
Old 04-17-2011, 10:49 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
My cat was admitted at the vet yesterday evening to extract fluid from his abdomen. Temporarily it will give him a big relief but the fluid will return. As the vet said there is no cure and i have to consider putting him to sleep and at the moment i cannot bear to think about it. I know i must consider too of his suffering but do i have the right to take his life away?
Hi Manja,

I am so sorry to hear about that.
I know the pain and anguish that you are going through right now as I have been through that myself with Georgio. I had to make the decision to put him to sleep as his left lung had collasped due to wet FIP. It was so painful that it took time for me to recover. Try to make the best decision for your cat. I know that you will do the very best for him.

Take care.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:43 PM
Animal Lover

Default Re: Fip..I need some advise

My cat is going downhill very fast. Now he is totally not eating and drinking and I had to force feed him water. It seems difficult for him to swallow. He is now very weak. I know even the vet can't save him now and they can only advise me to put him to sleep or take him home and wait for him to die. I still could not bear to put him to sleep. Please...let me hear all your opinion to make the right decision.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:01 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fip..I need some advise

Quote:
My cat is going downhill very fast. Now he is totally not eating and drinking and I had to force feed him water. It seems difficult for him to swallow. He is now very weak. I know even the vet can't save him now and they can only advise me to put him to sleep or take him home and wait for him to die. I still could not bear to put him to sleep. Please...let me hear all your opinion to make the right decision.
Oh, Manja, my heart aches just to read your message.

I don't know that there is a "right decision". I think you will find plenty of people on either side of the fence -- those in favour of euthanasia to spare your cat additional suffering, and those in favour of allowing nature to take its course, making him as comfortable as possible until he dies.

Ultimately, this very difficult decision is yours, and you must follow your conscience and your instinct. I would just say that whichever decision you make, try to spend as much time with your cat as possible, even at the very end.

If it were my cat, I would probably choose to put him to sleep rather than extend his suffering, but I would be right there holding him the whole time, probably crying my eyes out. I don't think, though, that anyone would criticise your decision, no matter which way you go. Most of all, I think all of us who have loved and lost cats will just sympathise with you.

All the best,
Maneki Neko
Old 04-20-2011, 09:33 PM
Animal Lover

Default FIP... help me make the right decision

Old 04-20-2011, 09:47 PM
PetFinder Buddy

angah1234 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: FIP... help me make the right decision

Quote:
nak tanye ape penyakit kucing awak sebenarnye?sory for my noob english
Old 04-20-2011, 11:00 PM
Rescue & Foster

CT YEOH is on a distinguished road

I too lost 1 of my cat due to wet type FIP last year. He survived for 3 months after being diagnosed. My vet refuses to put him to sleep, telling us to take him home and spend time with him.
The first 2 months, we fed him what he likes, and he was eating. We had to send him to the vet to extract the fluid from the stomach. According to the vet, the procedure is painful, but he did not flinch. It was during the 4th day of CNY, when we return home early, and found him struggling to breath. We rushed him to the vet and put him to sleep.
It is like someone in the family diagnosed with critical illness, and during the short period, we try to give what he likes and pray for miracle. Yes, it is very painful seeing him fading away. But the memories with him will last forever.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:01 AM
Animal Lover

wann12 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
hi manja,
sorry to hear bout your cat..i ada 1 alternative,,tp agak costly..u boleh try bg ur cat mkn transfer factor..it is known 2 cure kanser..kita boleh cuba drpda nak put him to sleep..atleast we could do something for him kan..if your interested boleh email i..
my email-green_bbhome@yahoo.com

tabahkan hati ya..so sorry to hear it..
Old 04-21-2011, 08:45 AM
PetFinder Guru

x-rulez is on a distinguished road

im sorry to hear about your cat...i know how u fell coz i lost 2 cats due to FIP too...1 wet type and the other one is dry type...the dry type is bit difficult to identify...the second of my cat died 1 week apart from the first one...the hard decision i have to make is to put the second one to sleep...but i a bit relieved becoz she did not suffer for a long period...not like the first one he suffered a lot until the last breath at the veterinar who wrongly dignosed that he is having 'demam kuning' but he is actually having the cruelty disease...

for what ever your decision is....give whats the best for your cat...
Old 04-21-2011, 08:47 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Manja,

Because both of your threads discussed the same topic, I have merged them to limit confusion.

Best wishes,

Maneki Neko,
Forum moderator
Old 04-21-2011, 09:49 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wann12 View Post
hi manja,
sorry to hear bout your cat..i ada 1 alternative,,tp agak costly..u boleh try bg ur cat mkn transfer factor..it is known 2 cure kanser..kita boleh cuba drpda nak put him to sleep..atleast we could do something for him kan..if your interested boleh email i..
my email-green_bbhome@yahoo.com

tabahkan hati ya..so sorry to hear it..
Yes, Manja I agree with Wann12 about Tranfer Factor.
It is the best medication to boost one immune's system to fight any viral attack.
I have heard cats having the dealy Parvo Virus that took Transfer Factor actually been cured but I am not sure about FIP
Its worth a try if you want to save your cats life.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:41 PM
Animal Lover

My cat is probably in the last stage of FIP. Would transfer factor be beneficial at this stage? All I could do now is give him all the loving tender care.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:23 PM
Rescue & Foster

CT YEOH is on a distinguished road

I seriously doubt the transfer can help at this ending stage. My cat had fluid extracted twice before his lungs collapsed. During the 3 months, we gave him plenty of multi vitamins and liver supplements. He was eating well, and at one stage, he looks like he recovered.
If you need to put him to sleep, do it when his stomach swell again.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:47 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
My cat is probably in the last stage of FIP. Would transfer factor be beneficial at this stage? All I could do now is give him all the loving tender care.
Manja, if you love your cat try not to give up so easily.
Call Wan and find out if the Transfer Factor can help your cat even in the last stage of FIP. Miracles happen you know. I myself will get demotivated very fast if I know my cat is suffering from FIP but with all my friends around me and with their support, I grew strong. So I hope with all the support you get from here be it positve or negative, dont lose hope. Try it and see if God will work a Mircale on you and your cat!

Good Luck!

Old 04-22-2011, 11:26 AM
Animal Lover

I'm not giving up on Oyen. He is still fighting. He's a fighter. But seeing him struggling for his life is unbearable. My only worry is that his organs are slowly shutting down. I do not want to see him suffer any longer but how can I bring myself to make the decision to put him to sleep. I'm not strong as Oyen. I wish Oyen could tell me if he wants it that way. Or he would like the chance to fight until the end. I do not want to make the wrong decision and regret it later knowing that if I give Oyen some more time and try all there is he could get better. If only God can give me a sign. But right now I'm still hoping and praying for a miracle and that Oyen could fight this through.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:55 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
I'm not giving up on Oyen. He is still fighting. He's a fighter. But seeing him struggling for his life is unbearable. My only worry is that his organs are slowly shutting down. I do not want to see him suffer any longer but how can I bring myself to make the decision to put him to sleep. I'm not strong as Oyen. I wish Oyen could tell me if he wants it that way. Or he would like the chance to fight until the end. I do not want to make the wrong decision and regret it later knowing that if I give Oyen some more time and try all there is he could get better. If only God can give me a sign. But right now I'm still hoping and praying for a miracle and that Oyen could fight this through.
Hi Manja,

I am so glad that you are not giving up on Oyen At this point of time, Oyen really needs your love and strength to carry on. I am sure that Oyen is fighting because Oyen does not want to leave you . I know that you dont want Oyen to suffer and go through all the pain but if you love Oyen very much do give Transfer Factor a try. I have heard a few stories of miracles happening with Transfer Factor and I am positive that it can help Oyen. I have a few tablets at home and I am willing to give it to you but I am not sure that it will be enough for your Oyen as Oyen will need to eat a few tablets right now to get his immune system up. Manja, praying and hoping will not help Oyen but a little bit of action from you will help Oyen. Dont wait any longer. Do contact Wan and see if Transfer Factor can help you and Oyen!

Take care!