Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > PetFinder Lounge > Coffee Room

Coffee Room Gossip on the latest topics or just mingle around and enjoy the atmosphere!

Old 08-29-2012, 04:37 PM
Animal Lover

mddb.mccp is on a distinguished road
Default A Thousand Letters To Our Local Council

Removing strays from an area by killing or relocating them is not only cruel – it’s pointless. Our council has blindly perpetuated this futile approach for decades but obviously it has proven that catch and kill doesn’t permanently clear an area off strays, given that the number of strays continue to increase.

Each time strays are removed, the population will rebound through a natural phenomenon known as the “vacuum effect”, drawing the community into a costly, endless cycle of trapping and killing. The vacuum effect describes what happens when even a portion of an animal population is permanently removed from its home range. Sooner or later, the empty habitat attracts other members of the species from neighboring areas, who move in to take advantage of the same resources that attracted the first group (like shelter and food). Killing or removing the original population does nothing to eliminate these resources; it only creates a “vacuum” that will inevitably draw in other animals living nearby.

Trap, Neuter & Release (TNR) stabilizes stray populations. The strays are humanely trapped, vaccinated and neutered, so no more litters will be born. They are then returned to their original location to live out their lives in their outdoor home. Not only is Trap, Neuter & Release the humane option for strays, it also improves their lives by relieving them off the stresses of mating and pregnancy. In the end, unlike catch and kill, TNR works!

It's time to learn from past mistakes and move forward instead of going around in circles – it’s time to stop fighting the endless battle of catch and kill and protect the innocent animals’ lives.

We are currently collecting "A Thousand Letters" to forward to our local council to voice our concern on continuous killing and instead suggest them to adopt TNR. We have met up with our local council on 19th July to share our view on TNR but sadly they seems rather reluctant to commit to TNR though they said to give them some time to consider. However, we could wait no longer.

We have to act NOW!

Please help us make our voice heard by contributing a letter each.

Kindly forward your letter to the below persons:

Dr. Judy Shoba A/P Robert Raja
Pengarah Perkhidmatan Perbandaran, Kesihatan Awam & Perlesenan
Jabatan Perkhidmatan Perbandaran, Kesihatan Awam & Perlesenan
Tingkat 4, Komtar,
10675 Pulau Pinang.
Tel: 04-2592189
Fax: 04-2626942
Email: judyshoba@mppp.gov.my

c.c. Name: Mr. Ong Ah Teong
Position: Penang Municipal Councilors
Email: atong07@streamyx.com

c.c Name: Mr. Lim Cheng Hoe
Email: chlim1976@live.com

c.c mddb.mccp@gmail.com

Thanking everyone in advance for caring for the strays.

Cheers!

Warmest Regards,
Ellen Chan
MDDB & MCCP (Northern Region)
Old 08-29-2012, 04:42 PM
Animal Lover

mddb.mccp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A Thousand Letters To Our Local Council

A sample letter for reference:

Quote:
28 August 2012

Dr. Judy Shoba A/P Robert Raja
Pengarah Perkhidmatan Perbandaran, Kesihatan Awam & Perlesenan
Jabatan Perkhidmatan Perbandaran, Kesihatan Awam & Perlesenan
Tingkat 4, Komtar,
10675 Pulau Pinang.
Tel: 04-2592189
Fax: 04-2626942
Email: judyshoba@mppp.gov.my

c.c. Name: Mr. Ong Ah Teong
Email: atong07@streamyx.com

c.c Name: Mr. Lim Cheng Hoe
Email: chlim1976@live.com

Dear Dr. Judy,

RE: Stop Putting Strays to Sleep and Practice TNR (Trap, Neuter & Release)

In regards to the above matter, I as the citizen of Penang would like to appeal to the council to stop the killing of strays and instead, support TNR (Trap, Neuter & Release). This program has been widely adopt and accepted by many countries worldwide (Sri Lanka , Bali, Thailand and India) and has proven to help in strays’ reduction. As a matter of fact, it’s a more humane solution compared to euthanasia and will be able to give our State a more positive image.

“Quotes from Gandhi: The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated”

The current method that has been in practice for decades, “Catch & Kill” has proven unsuccessful in curbing with the increasing number of strays. Aside from being inhumane, it’s not a long term solution. As some strays are taken out of their territory, others will move in to replace them, which render the initial removal ineffective. Continuous killing will eventually impact our country’s image and investors’ view on us.

TNR (Trap, Neuter & Release) is the only solution to end the re-production cycle, reduce the population of strays and eventually ends the suffering of innocent animals hence I would like to again plea for your kind attention to seriously look into this matter as I believe not only me, but a lot of citizens here are very much concern about this issue.

Thank you.

Yours Sincerely,