Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Latest News & Happenings > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself to our fun community and meet some new friends here!

Old 12-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Animal Lover

krislmk is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie need advice

Hi all,

I am new to the forum so am not sure where to post this. My cat has just been diagnosed with sporotricosis and the vet I brought him to does not have the blood test kit to test how severe the infection is. I have called 2 other vets and they too do not have the kit. Is there anyone who knows where I can get him checked out properly? We live in Sri Petaling but anywhere within the Klang Valley is fine. Also, how long does it take for the results to come back? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Gentle Giant

Coony is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Newbie need advice

Contact Gasing Veterinary Hospital at 03-7782 3553, they are at Gasing Indah, not too far from Sri Petaling. They are quite fully equip & their price are quite reasonable compare to some veterinary hospital in town. I'm also from Sri Petaling & refer most of my cases to them.

Best Maine Coon Cattery in CFA ID Asia/LA since 2004
The only Maine Coon cattery with 3 DM, 3 Top Ten MCO National & produce the most GC/GP (30) & DW (12) in CFA ID Asia/LA
Old 12-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Animal Lover

Thanks for the info. I called and spoke to the doctor, he says there's no blood test to check how severe the infection is, it's just based on treatment (which we already have from our previous vet). He mentioned if it is superficial it can be healed but may recur.

From reading all the other posts on Petfinder regarding sporotrichosis, it seems to be fatal and the best thing to do is to put him to sleep but I don't want to do that without being sure. Any suggestions on what else we can do?

Last edited by krislmk; 12-11-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:54 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krislmk View Post
Thanks for the info. I called and spoke to the doctor, he says there's no blood test to check how severe the infection is, it's just based on treatment (which we already have from our previous vet). He mentioned if it is superficial it can be healed but may recur.

From reading all the other posts on Petfinder regarding sporotrichosis, it seems to be fatal and the best thing to do is to put him to sleep but I don't want to do that without being sure. Any suggestions on what else we can do?
Hi, krislmk, let me start by saying I have no personal experience with sporo infections. I do understand from what I've read that it's highly contagious, so your infected cat needs to be isolated from other cats.

Chan Kah Yein, who runs Myanimalcare, has blogged about some successful attempts to treat and clear up sporo. She has also blogged about some failed efforts. Still, I would encourage you to look back through her blog listings to see how others have dealt with this. www.myanimalcare.org

Please keep us posted, if you would. Your experiences may help others facing the same dilemma. Thanks!
Old 12-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Animal Lover

Hi Maneki Neko, thanks for your advice. Looking at her experiences, he may have a shot at recovering so we will continue to bring him to the vet for treatment. He's currently being treated with iodine for cleaning, anti-fungal powder and oral Iatraconazole. Hopefully we will see some positive results soon. Thanks.