Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > Animal Protection Laws & Rights

Animal Protection Laws & Rights Discuss on the enacted animal protection laws and how to better protect their rights

Old 05-01-2008, 12:27 AM
Founder, PetFinder.my

AndyKoh has disabled reputation
Default Stopping Abuses In Puppy Mills

A win for the poor doggies in Pennsylvania!

Our government should conduct inspections in local puppy mills as well to ensure decent breeding conditions.

Source: http://www.philly.com/inquirer/opini...ppy_mills.html

Another similar case here: http://www.herald-coaster.com/articl...ews/news02.txt

Quote:
Stopping Abuses In Puppy Mills
New regulations in Pa. would require safe, sanitary housing.

By Bryan R. Lentz

Recently, viewers of the Oprah Winfrey Show tuned into a widely publicized television show devoted to exposing horrific living conditions and abuses in puppy mills. Unfortunately, puppy mills in Pennsylvania played a major role in this broadcast.

Several Pennsylvania puppy mills, where there was widespread neglect and deplorable conditions, were toured. Small dogs were stuffed into rabbit hutches. Kennel operators dragged dogs by their front legs. Of the 20 dogs that were rescued, nearly all were suffering from dental disease. One ill puppy later died in a veterinary hospital.

Gov. Rendell, an adamant dog lover, has come out on offense against these abuses. He proposed several regulations to protect dogs from abusive treatment in puppy mills. These regulations, under the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture, would provide new oversight and update Pennsylvania's Dog Law to address practices that were not common when the regulations were last revised in 1996.

One example of the inhumane treatment in these puppy mills is the practice of stacking dog cages to allow for keeping as many dogs as possible to breed. There have been instances of dog cages being stacked so high that dog wardens needed to climb ladders to see into them. Today, dogs in puppy mills are put into these cages and are never allowed out their entire lives.

These practices may comply with existing regulations and law, but they are not always in the best interest of the animals. Dog wardens regularly receive reports of dogs permanently housed in small cages with no exercise, dogs placed in the cold with no bedding, and dogs with no water for up to 18 hours.

The state legislature is taking aim at this problem. New legislation set to be introduced next May would improve the health and safety of dogs and raise minimum standards for people who own or work with dogs.

The legislation will call for commercial breeding kennels to maintain safe and sanitary housing with adequate space and comfortable temperatures, and for stricter enforceable vaccination standards. Puppies 12 weeks of age or older could be housed in cages with wire floors, but the flooring would have to be in good repair. Stacking of cages would be limited to two rows of cages and to 4.5 feet in height for inspection purposes during the first 12 weeks of life. Dogs in kennels would have to have an exercise plan, and minimum temperature standards would be implemented. Kennels would be required to have smoke alarms, fire extinguishers, and possibly sprinkler systems. Tethering would be eliminated, and there would be an increase in the availability of water.

The proposed legislation would also allow the state's dog wardens to enforce the cruelty provisions of the Dog Law; mandate that dog owners pay the costs of care for their dogs during appeals; issue civil penalties for violations of the Dog Law; strengthen criminal penalties in both the Dog Law and cruelty statutes; and cite unlicensed kennels and provide wardens with the ability to inspect unlicensed kennels. It would mandate the revocation of a kennel license for owners convicted of cruelty and provide other enforcement tools.

Additional legislative initiatives aimed at improving the nature of dog breeding in Pennsylvania include House Bill 365, which would allow for the suspension or refusal of kennel licenses for certain violations, including lying on kennel license applications; H.B. 2416, which would place reporting requirements on police officers when detaining dogs; and H.B. 1065, which would place restrictions on the tethering of dogs and introduce criminal sanctions for violations.

I support these efforts and will continue to monitor their progress as well as other Dog Law initiatives to improve the breeding and living conditions for dogs in Pennsylvania.

In the meantime, I will keep citizens' views in mind when these initiatives come before the legislature for a vote and share them with my colleagues in the General Assembly.

It is our responsibility to be a voice for the animals that cannot speak for themselves. We must protect defenseless animals from abuse and neglect, and ensure that the deplorable conditions exposed on national television are remedied.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:56 PM
PetFinder Guru

somebunny is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Stopping Abuses In Puppy Mills

Have you watched that segment? I heard its really really sad, even grown men cry.. i don't think i have the heart to watch it, i've seen some pics on oprah's site and already it made me sick.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:05 PM
Animal Lover

Juztiny is on a distinguished road

Recently there is an international puppy miller setting up a petshop in my neighbourhood, Taman Segar Cheras. I heard they also have local syndicate connection setting up puppy miller farm in Seremban.

Here are some pictures I got from website. So sad to see those puppies are bred and put into big crates like that waiting for sale distribution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aseanpuppy.2.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	83   Click image for larger version

Name:	aseanpuppy.1.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	84  

Last edited by Juztiny; 07-20-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:32 AM
PetFinder Buddy

ChewChew1987 is on a distinguished road

What to do?? People keep demanding pets. Even if we complain to the government, how long do you think the complain will last?? Have them set up these regulation??? Dream on. Even if these regulation is set up, do you really believe they will stay true to it??

I gave up believing them a long time ago.

I am being bitter, sorry. They remind me of something sad.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:05 AM
PetFinder Buddy

RoyBlue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewChew1987 View Post
What to do?? People keep demanding pets. Even if we complain to the government, how long do you think the complain will last?? Have them set up these regulation??? Dream on. Even if these regulation is set up, do you really believe they will stay true to it??

I gave up believing them a long time ago.

I am being bitter, sorry. They remind me of something sad.
YEP ME TOO. I GAVE UP BELIEVING AND HOPING FOR SOMETHING LIKE THAT AGES AGO!!!! Therefore I decided to go and do things on my own with my own two hands!!!
Old 07-23-2008, 05:42 PM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road

Hi

maybe my comment is not related to this thread but how do we ensure that no operators of puppy mills advertise through petfinder?

just my two cents.

regards
ashley
Old 07-24-2008, 04:42 AM
CEO, EzerNET

Ezer has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleywong View Post
Hi

maybe my comment is not related to this thread but how do we ensure that no operators of puppy mills advertise through petfinder?

just my two cents.

regards
ashley
Ashley, we'll set up a Pet Merchant profile for them and then ppl can give comments and testimonials.. and if a puppy mill is found, we'll just ban that merchant from listing his pets here.

Also, maybe this is a silly question. Say you have a puppy mill and you sell your puppy really fast, is that bad? Rather than have the puppy grow up in the mill, wouldn't it be better if they are sold fast and found a home. But then that would encourage even more puppy mills.. so, I guess back to square one.

Cause you know, I think cow farms and chicken farms are also extremely cruel. There are chicken farms in the US where the chickens are bred in tiny cages and force fed and they don't even see the light of day before being chopped up.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:44 PM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road

hi ezer,

i do agree with you, it's the same concept. the things we justify as a collective group - chicken farm, cow farm where they 're brought up to be slaughtered, maybe in "humane" conditons to our eyes (or justificatioN) but still bad.

i guess breeders who are responsible are not termed as "millers" as they do ensure the animals under their care do get the appropriate care and quality of life. our concern would be those inhuman, immoral and unscrupulous out for quick bucks for nothing. it is these people who are giving the pet breeding industry a bad name and they're the ones who should be subjected to the pain, misery and suffering they inflicted upon the hapless animals 1million thousand fold.

is there any way we can all help to push for proper legislation to be enacted? I guess it's only a field dream, right?
Old 07-24-2008, 05:36 PM
CEO, EzerNET

Ezer has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleywong View Post
is there any way we can all help to push for proper legislation to be enacted? I guess it's only a field dream, right?
It's not a field dream.

It's only a field dream because every talks about it and no one does anything. We do have elections and many malaysians don't bother to vote. About 50% of the voting public actually cast their votes. The rest is just plain ol lazy, and only interested in complaining.

If Malaysians feel their current government, hired by it's people, is not doing it's job, then go out and vote someone else into office.

I am sure if enough people put pressure on the government on certain issues, things will start to happen.

Even talking about it on public forums will help change things.