Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your dog's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 03-06-2009, 02:52 PM
PetFinder Guru

daphne1985 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to daphne1985
Default Please Help My Schnauzer having some skin problem..

My bf brought me a new puppy, a schnauzer during Valentine day. The puppy is so cute and very energetic but I found him with some skin problem as below:

* his body with few tick
* inflammation on the skin
* some yellow liquid coming out
* very strong body odor coming out from the skin
* Itchy
* body full of white white thing something similar to dandruff

I did tried the shampoo for killing pest like tick and flea but the situation still the same. I dont noe what actually bite his skin, it is canine mange, flea, lice or tick..I'm very worry and will seek for vet tml.

Is anyone noe what happen on him? Please give me some advise..
Old 03-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Animal Lover

anne0723 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Please Help My Schnauzer having some skin problem..

Hi Daphne, Anne here. remember ? the one had misunderstanding with u the last time

about ur schnauzer's skin problem. Most of the schnauzer has sensitive skin/more prompt to get skin disease. Some have genetic problem call "schnauzer comedone syndrom" / known as schnauzer bumps.

dun have to worry too much on this problem as it is not life threatening but do give ur pup discomfort. All the problems u listed here are all linked.

1stly, the ticks. the redness and bumps could be caused by tick bites. the first thing u need or i'd say a must is to get a frontline spray. buy a small bottle will do, most petshops and vet clinics sell that. spray on the whole body, with more care on the eyes and face area (spray on ur hand and rub on these area carefully). It last for 1 month and will not be washed away even during bathing. I dun recommend to continue this spray if has no ticks, anything chemical is not good to prolong.

2ndly, buy a medicated shampoo called "malaseb" it is very good to cure skin problem. alternatively, can buy one called "dermocil" (by troy) it is milder for puppy. use twice a week till problem solved. then stop and follow by normal shampoo for sensitive skin for future use. (i recommend shampoo with coal tar or sulphur, one of the good ones i ever used is Mc Lee's coal tar or sulphur, u can also choose to use the one for puppy with sensitive skin) try not to use those heavily scented one as perfume may cause irritation especially schnauzer which tend to have more sensitive skin.

when u have solved the ticks and skin problem. it will also solve the body odour and itchiness too.

hope it helps. have a nice day. dun be hesitate to ask me questions, if u think i can help. its my pleasure. can also call or sms me 0102268223
Old 03-06-2009, 05:22 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation

anne,
Dont show the contact number at public forum. You might get spammed by someone unknow. It for you own good. You can PM to anyone you like.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:36 PM
PetFinder Moderator

Daphne,
Thank you for PM me notice this new thread, I hope myself able solve your problem base on my experience. Normally healthy skin is smooth and flexible with no visible scales, scab, growths or red area for Miniature schnauzer. Do you find any white ponder on the coat and skin? It is genetic problem.
Base from my 3 dog, only rocky have this problem, beside risky and rusty.
The problem can be solved; need take antibiotic and cream place on skin. The best is injection. This problem need take few months for recover back to normal.
Your dog need bath with high quality shampoo, later place the medical cream on it.

+the high quality shampoo, no mean is strong medical shampoo. high quality shampoo is very mild cleansing agent. Polyamodimethicone - a conditioning agent for gloss, manageability, softness and moisture. Hydrolyzed wheat protein - to repair and condition coat. Peppermint-spearmint essential oil - provides moisture for skin and naturally deodorizes. Aloe Vera, Chamomile & Eucalyptus - to soothe and heal dry and irritated skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne1985 View Post
My bf brought me a new puppy, a schnauzer during Valentine day. The puppy is so cute and very energetic but I found him with some skin problem as below:

* his body with few tick
* inflammation on the skin
* some yellow liquid coming out
* very strong body odor coming out from the skin
* Itchy
* body full of white white thing something similar to dandruff

I did tried the shampoo for killing pest like tick and flea but the situation still the same. I dont noe what actually bite his skin, it is canine mange, flea, lice or tick..I'm very worry and will seek for vet tml.

Is anyone noe what happen on him? Please give me some advise..

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.

Last edited by dog is my buddy; 03-06-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:58 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne0723 View Post
Hi Daphne, Anne here. remember ? the one had misunderstanding with u the last time

about ur schnauzer's skin problem. Most of the schnauzer has sensitive skin/more prompt to get skin disease. Some have genetic problem call "schnauzer comedone syndrom" / known as schnauzer bumps.

dun have to worry too much on this problem as it is not life threatening but do give ur pup discomfort. All the problems u listed here are all linked.

1stly, the ticks. the redness and bumps could be caused by tick bites. the first thing u need or i'd say a must is to get a frontline spray. buy a small bottle will do, most petshops and vet clinics sell that. spray on the whole body, with more care on the eyes and face area (spray on ur hand and rub on these area carefully). It last for 1 month and will not be washed away even during bathing. I dun recommend to continue this spray if has no ticks, anything chemical is not good to prolong.

2ndly, buy a medicated shampoo called "malaseb" it is very good to cure skin problem. alternatively, can buy one called "dermocil" (by troy) it is milder for puppy. use twice a week till problem solved. then stop and follow by normal shampoo for sensitive skin for future use. (i recommend shampoo with coal tar or sulphur, one of the good ones i ever used is Mc Lee's coal tar or sulphur, u can also choose to use the one for puppy with sensitive skin) try not to use those heavily scented one as perfume may cause irritation especially schnauzer which tend to have more sensitive skin.

when u have solved the ticks and skin problem. it will also solve the body odour and itchiness too.

hope it helps. have a nice day. dun be hesitate to ask me questions, if u think i can help. its my pleasure. can also call or sms me 0102268223
Thanks Anne for your information, I do noted it down..
Old 03-06-2009, 06:01 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog is my buddy View Post
Daphne,
Thank you for PM me notice this new thread, I hope myself able solve your problem base on my experience. Normally healthy skin is smooth and flexible with no visible scales, scab, growths or red area for Miniature schnauzer. Do you find any white ponder on the coat and skin? It is genetic problem.
Base from my 3 dog, only rocky have this problem, beside risky and rusty.
The problem can be solved; need take antibiotic and cream place on skin. The best is injection. This problem need take few months for recover back to normal.
Your dog need bath with high quality shampoo, later place the medical cream on it.

+the high quality shampoo, no mean is strong medical shampoo. high quality shampoo is very mild cleansing agent. Polyamodimethicone - a conditioning agent for gloss, manageability, softness and moisture. Hydrolyzed wheat protein - to repair and condition coat. Peppermint-spearmint essential oil - provides moisture for skin and naturally deodorizes. Aloe Vera, Chamomile & Eucalyptus - to soothe and heal dry and irritated skin.
ya, I found white ponder all over the body which i dont noe why. tat's why I 'm so worry. Okay, i will send him to vet for the injection and do consult the vet in regard the high quality shampoo that u mention as well as cream. So how is your Rocky now? Is him curve frm skin problem as my schnauzer?
Old 03-06-2009, 06:09 PM
PetFinder Moderator

yea, Rocky ok back after 6-7 month was puppy moment. Now my rocky already 3 year.

Quote:
ya, I found white ponder all over the body which i dont noe why. tat's why I 'm so worry. Okay, i will send him to vet for the injection and do consult the vet in regard the high quality shampoo that u mention as well as cream. So how is your Rocky now? Is him curve frm skin problem as my schnauzer?

Old 03-06-2009, 06:13 PM
PetFinder Guru

Hi Dog is my Buddy,

I found a lot white white thing that seems like dandruff all over the body and full of bum as what Anne mentioned too. Because of tis I keep groom him and clear out all the white white thing over his body. But still another day, it coming again haiz....headache

It is genetic? so how and if I send him for treatment will him cure? How's ur Rocky? Now he still having the problem? How long do u take for him to cure? Tml I'm going to him for vaccine, i dont think the vet will inject for him the antibiotic, maybe after a week from vaccine but will ask vet for the cream and shampoo.

Hope he get well soon, his fur is getting long now and get more bum and white white stuff..
Old 03-06-2009, 06:14 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
yea, Rocky ok back after 6-7 month was puppy moment. Now my rocky already 3 year.
wow..6 - 7 months...so long...haiz

anyway if can recover would be better than getting worse..
Old 03-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

daphne, don't worry, i'm sure can recover. the 2 experts (anne and dog is my buddy) think so.

Quote:

Old 03-06-2009, 06:31 PM
PetFinder Moderator

Now rocky 100% free of this kind skin problem. But the area infection got mark, that area coat color differ with other side color. That is bad.
Quote:

Old 03-07-2009, 03:44 PM
PetFinder Guru

Ya Blackie, I trusted both

Anyway Dog is My Buddy, I'm looking for shampoo with Aloe Vera, peppermint or Eucalyptus which to soothe and heal dry and irritated skin, can u suggest me. I need the brand name and where can I find it..

THanks So MUch.....Really appreciated your kindnest....thankssss...

Old 03-07-2009, 04:05 PM
PetFinder Moderator

daphne,
The shampoo is play a small part for cure. The most important get discuss with your veterinarian what should do. Forumer opinion only can take as review.
For me view your dog might get skin problem calling "Seborrhea" you can check online find more information.

Quote:
Ya Blackie, I trusted both

Anyway Dog is My Buddy, I'm looking for shampoo with Aloe Vera, peppermint or Eucalyptus which to soothe and heal dry and irritated skin, can u suggest me. I need the brand name and where can I find it..

THanks So MUch.....Really appreciated your kindnest....thankssss...

Old 03-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Animal Lover

anne0723 is on a distinguished road

Thanks to dog is my buddy. Daphne, last time i helped my fren sold his schnauzer to a girl, also got lots of white ponder like dandruff and it keeps coming back even few hours after bathing. She used malaseb for about a month and it cured. but is right, better to seek vet's advice
Old 03-08-2009, 01:55 AM
Animal Lover

miket is on a distinguished road

What kind of schnauzer - mini, std, or giant?

I'm assuming it's a mini - most common here - list of known diseases, see: http://www.simplyschnauzer.net/padgettlist.html

Best advice given above, go to a good vet. Self-diagnosis is not advisable.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:48 PM
PetFinder Guru

Yes, is a miniture schnauzer, I have send him to vet. According to the vet, he is only getting normal flea and ticks problem and some pimple on his body. Vet said it can heal naturally or tablet control. I do not want to use any tablet control coz he is still young for that so will use natural way to heal it.

Thanks Anne, I will try Malaseb as u mention. Ya,I did found frontline spray from the vet that I went.

Thanks anyways..
Old 03-10-2009, 01:54 PM
PetFinder Moderator

Great heard from you, need take those medical introduced by vet, if not the problem will repeat again and again.
Quote:
Yes, is a miniture schnauzer, I have send him to vet. According to the vet, he is only getting normal flea and ticks problem and some pimple on his body. Vet said it can heal naturally or tablet control. I do not want to use any tablet control coz he is still young for that so will use natural way to heal it.

Thanks Anne, I will try Malaseb as u mention. Ya,I did found frontline spray from the vet that I went.

Thanks anyways..

Old 03-10-2009, 03:48 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Great heard from you, need take those medical introduced by vet, if not the problem will repeat again and again.
okay, sure

thanks for your assistant tooI really appreciated
Old 08-19-2009, 12:22 AM
PetFinder Buddy

ChewChew1987 is on a distinguished road

Hi, i am not sure whether this experience will help, but will share it with you anyway.

I have two jack russells. One of them suffered from skin problem; pimpers, itchy, inflammation on skin. She will scratch and scratch whole day until there is blood (i was forced to put the Elizebeth collar on her to prevent scratching).

I brough her to see many docs before, they give tablets, antibiotic. It helps, but only for a moment and the problem arise again. The doc said the skin problem can due to many factors; gene, environment, food. Unless we can find out what causes the problem, then it can be cured. Until now, i can't figure what is the problem.

However, the doctor also mention that the dog will have this kind of reaction is also due to bacteria infection. So he suggested that i use Malaseb, but dont over use it because the shampoo will cause dryness on the skin. As for food, i changed all the chicken based product to fish based product (lamb also can) since chicken often cause allergies. I use fish based because fish is good for skin.

Then i bought a bottle of fish oil from the vet and feed it to my dog daily (on vet instruction). And i sometime feed my dog some steamed fish (be careful with the bones, take all out or dog will chocked). Anyway, i'm feeding my dog alot of fish.

It has been almost two months, and her skin condition has improved very much so far. No more pimpers, or inflammation.

By the way, Frontline is good but the ticks will get immune with this Frontline easily too if you use it all the time. My dog use to have ticks too and i bought Frontline. In the beginning it was good, but after a while the ticks came back. I asked my fren who owned a petshop, he told me ticks develop immunity for Frontline, so it is not recommended to use always. So i bought this pink little box...i forgot about the brand..but it cost around RM 19. Although it smell, but the ticks stay away from my dog (i don't dare to go near my dog too after she was bathed with it).
Old 02-05-2010, 12:14 AM
Animal Lover

ginafindadog is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Please Help My Schnauzer having some skin problem..

My dog, snickers, has had bad skin problems and I found this product that really seems to work well. Natural Oatmeal Anti-itch shampoo

Gina.