Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens

Cats & Kittens General information and discussions on taking care of your feline buddy

Old 11-26-2012, 10:03 AM
Animal Lover

kapit937 is on a distinguished road
Default Bad littering behaviour

Salam and hello,

We have two cats, one male and female (perhaps one can refer to previous thread on BSH/Korat and SFP advices needed). At present, both of them are getting better in terms of interaction with each other. However, their littering behaviours are in downward trend - not covering their feaces with sand, 'miss fire' (aim at the litter box wall, not on the sand), and this morning, the SFP is pooing on the floor, and we can see traces of his waste in various area. Is something wrong with them? Their feaces is not wattery. I guess normal.

As far as I observe, they are healthy, eat and play normally (since I'm the one who always give them food and interact with them). I give them a mixture of ANF and Whiskas kibbles (1:1). Every two days I give additional whiskas wet food with brewers yeast (add them with kibbles) and last saturday I've introduced cooked meat to them (however, only BSH/Korat ate it). Ah yes, last night I saw them drinking water more than usual (maybe it is normal, since I'm not at home during the day).

The litter sand is a mixture of clumping sand (can't remember the brand) and non clumping sand (Purina). I know it is not a good mixture (still in learning process). Will change to complete clumping once the Purina sand is finish.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:19 PM
PetFinder Guru

Rayquaza17 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bad littering behaviour

Probably you need to litter train them again. Cage them with the litter once 15 minutes after they eat. Only with litter box inside. If it's not working, might be sand issues or either, seek a opinion from vet.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:25 AM
Animal Lover

izzati marno is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapit937 View Post
Salam and hello,

We have two cats, one male and female (perhaps one can refer to previous thread on BSH/Korat and SFP advices needed). At present, both of them are getting better in terms of interaction with each other. However, their littering behaviours are in downward trend - not covering their feaces with sand, 'miss fire' (aim at the litter box wall, not on the sand), and this morning, the SFP is pooing on the floor, and we can see traces of his waste in various area. Is something wrong with them? Their feaces is not wattery. I guess normal.

As far as I observe, they are healthy, eat and play normally (since I'm the one who always give them food and interact with them). I give them a mixture of ANF and Whiskas kibbles (1:1). Every two days I give additional whiskas wet food with brewers yeast (add them with kibbles) and last saturday I've introduced cooked meat to them (however, only BSH/Korat ate it). Ah yes, last night I saw them drinking water more than usual (maybe it is normal, since I'm not at home during the day).

The litter sand is a mixture of clumping sand (can't remember the brand) and non clumping sand (Purina). I know it is not a good mixture (still in learning process). Will change to complete clumping once the Purina sand is finish.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
From my experience, you just need them to be caged until the really know their litter box.
Or, the kitten might know their litter box in the cage, but once you let them play outside the cage, they cannot remember where the litter box location.
You can try to put litterbox where they can easily remember and have full access. It might help. :)
Old 11-27-2012, 07:17 AM
Animal Lover

Thanks Rayquaza and Izzati Marno,

Have tried this, but end up with both of them laid in the litter box on top of their feaces! Sign of protest I think especially the BSH (she will be struggling finding her way out from the cage, at one time mess up her waste all over the cage). Yup, the cage is rather small (about 50 X 50 X 45cm) but since we are planning to make them indoor cats, buying a large cage will not be our main concern (at this moment).

We prepared two litter boxes, one in the cage and another is outside. We found out that both will go the box inside the cage to do their business, but for the outside box, only DSH will go. The inside box is smaller than outside box.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Animal Lover

aidamd is on a distinguished road

some cats are very 'penggeli' if there's more than 'few items' in the litter box. some of my cats would just go in n do their business n run out as fast as they could without covering the poo. even the way they walk on the sand is weird like they try to have as minimal contact wt the sand as possible. sometimes, the 'geli-ness' is too much that the just pooped just outside the box. maybe ur cats are 'penggeli' as well. are they caged? how many litter box they have?
Old 12-03-2012, 09:11 PM
Animal Lover

Adamid,

I have two litterboxes. One is inside the cage, the other just next to the cage. At present, it looks like they starting to clean their bowel properly, aimed perfectly. But they seem to prefer the litter box inside the cage. They seldom used outside box, occasionaly peed in it. The inside one, however, is smaller and less taller than outside. So like you said, 'geliness' can be seen. But they also didn't cover the poo (I've seen they try to cover, but most of the time they paws landed on the box cover, lastly they just leave the poo uncovered). Thats why when the second cat comes, he/she seems to be bit irritated.

Am thinking to keep the smaller litterbox, and put the larger one inside. Lets see whether the cage is the reason for them to poo inside (not the litter box).

Another issue, (don't think it will be worth to create a new thread). Last saturday I shaved and trim the hair around the anus of my SFP (or rather DLH, I'm not sure). Reasons? His poo will stick with the hair. Imagine that he then walk happily around the house.

But then, last night, when I check the shaved area, it is bit watery and reddish (imflamation?). I afraid that maybe the skin was scracthed or cut during trimming process. Is it possible? Or some kind of rash? What should I do? Can I just apply minyak gamat on the affected area? The cat looks normal, not sick and playing well.