Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Training & Behavioral Issues

Training & Behavioral Issues Does your cat have an attitude, or just simply refuses to listen to you? Share it with your peers here and learn more about a cat's behavior and training methods

Old 02-02-2009, 11:46 AM
Puppet Master~

chemonk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do Cats Respond to Their Name Being Called?

Unlike dogs, cats do not fetch their owner's newspaper or slippers. Nor do they insist on going for a walk in the park every day. But despite these obvious differences between cats and dogs, cats dese
rve their dues. They are loyal, loving pets that can brighten up their owner's day within moments. However, does it end there? Do cats respond to their name when their owners call them? This article will explore this thought in more depth.

People have a different interpretation of the word "respond". To parents, a response to a question will mean their children will give an answer soon after the question has been asked. But when this principle is applied to pets, pet owners cannot expect their cat to answer them in the same way. That is not to say that cats are completely aloof to their owner's attempts to communicate with them. Cats do not ignore their owners; they just respond differently to them.

When you first adopt a kitten or older cat, you cannot expect the cat to respond to its name immediately, particularly if you have changed the cat's name from its original name. It will take time for the cat to get used to hearing its new name and making the proper connection.

But a cat who is aware of its name will acknowledge this in three basic ways. Some cats simply look up at their owner and meow once when they are called by name, as if to say "Yes, I hear you."

Other cats will not even bother to meow. As you call their name, watch their tail. It will wag once or twice. Even if you call your cat by its name while it is sleeping, it will still wag its tail at you in acknowledgement, without opening its eyes. Multiple name calls will result in multiple tail wags. But if you carry this on for too long, the cat will get tired of your game and refuse to co-operate.

A third ways in which cats respond to their name is to look up at you when they hear their name. This does not have to be accompanied by a meow to be an acknowledgement. Some cats prefer to respond in this way, particularly if they are not very vocal.

Cats may not show their obvious enthusiasm by being called by name as dogs are apt to do, but they are still capable of recognising their name and responding to it in their own way.

source by Sophie from www.associatedcontent.com

my cats respond to their name by looking at me and "kenyit mata"... hihihi
Old 02-02-2009, 12:01 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Do Cats Respond to Their Name Being Called?

Yer ker, friend? Or they respond to the sound of your voice ... heheheehhhh!!! I may be wrong but from my observations, it is more the sound of your voice rather than their names or the words you utter ... and the tone and volume too ... soft, gentle sayang voice (come, come, makan and cuddles) or a sharp "No!" (this means "Stop!!" or "Lari !!!!!").

I say, "Hellooooooooooo, cayang, my love ..." and they go "Meow!!!" and jump towards me for cuddles.
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 02-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Puppet Master~

erm.. xpasti plak pasal tu.. sebab when i call one of them.. i look at only the one that i called... do not bother on others... the one that i called will immediately look at me and "kenyit mata" until i bend my knees down sambil depakan tangan.. baru la yg dipanggil tu dtg... yg lain akan dtg if i look in their face pulak... well... it maybe the sound+tone that they recognize.. kalau words.. i guess mmy depa tak kenal... since i use a very different names to all of them... tak susah nak train diorg to respond only to the specific sound...
Old 02-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

I think cats do respond to their names. When Blackie is not in the same room as me and I call him, he'll come running and look at me with an enquiring look on his face like as if he's saying "yeah, what?"

He also understands us. For example, it has become a routine for me to feed him some salmon every night before bedtime. And I usually ask him to sayang me first before I hand feed him.

He usually complies, but 2 nights ago, he decided instead to sayang my hubby who was sitting across from me, watching him. He walked over, sayang my hubby's toes and was about to lie down for a belly rub from my hubby when I said sternly, "no, silly, I want you to sayang me, not him."

Immediately, he stopped halfway, got up and walked to me and rubbed his head against my leg, then sat down looking up at me in anticipation. Not satisfied becos he went and sayang my hubby first..., I told him, "sayang one more time", and he got up and rubbed his head a 2nd time.

I could go on and on, giving other examples of how Blackie responded to words that I had taught him to understand, like "dirty", "tsunami" (this means shower time), "sleep", "play", "clean ears", "cut nails", "food", "snack", "salmon", "toy", "naughty", "birds", "sayang", "toilet", "poo-poo", "pee-pee", "come", "out", "home", but that will take pages and pages.

In short, cats not only recognise their name but can be taught some simple vocabulary so you can communicate effectively with them.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:26 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemonk View Post
erm.. xpasti plak pasal tu.. sebab when i call one of them.. i look at only the one that i called... do not bother on others... the one that i called will immediately look at me and "kenyit mata" until i bend my knees down sambil depakan tangan.. baru la yg dipanggil tu dtg... yg lain akan dtg if i look in their face pulak... well... it maybe the sound+tone that they recognize.. kalau words.. i guess mmy depa tak kenal... since i use a very different names to all of them... tak susah nak train diorg to respond only to the specific sound...
Chemonk, when you look at a particular cat, that is the connection you make with him and he will come, not the others. It is the LOOK you gave him (communication through eye contact).

Example, when I am sitting at the dinner table eating and all of them are sitting quietly all around behaving themselves but LOOKING AT ME, the moment I turn to look at one of them making eye contact (without saying a single word), that ONE will immediate take a step towards me. It is the eye contact, I find. In the animal world, they are very conscious of the eye contact. That is why when you approach a frightened cat, you must not look direct at it, you squint your eyes into half-closed slits and look at it out of the corner of your eyes so not to scare him like you wanna makan him.
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 02-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post
I think cats do respond to their names. When Blackie is not in the same room as me and I call him, he'll come running and look at me with an enquiring look on his face like as if he's saying "yeah, what?"

He also understands us. For example, it has become a routine for me to feed him some salmon every night before bedtime. And I usually ask him to sayang me first before I hand feed him.

He usually complies, but 2 nights ago, he decided instead to sayang my hubby who was sitting across from me, watching him. He walked over, sayang my hubby's toes and was about to lie down for a belly rub from my hubby when I said sternly, "no, silly, I want you to sayang me, not him."

Immediately, he stopped halfway, got up and walked to me and rubbed his head against my leg, then sat down looking up at me in anticipation. Not satisfied becos he went and sayang my hubby first..., I told him, "sayang one more time", and he got up and rubbed his head a 2nd time.

I could go on and on, giving other examples of how Blackie responded to words that I had taught him to understand, like "dirty", "tsunami" (this means shower time), "sleep", "play", "clean ears", "cut nails", "food", "snack", "salmon", "toy", "naughty", "birds", "sayang", "toilet", "poo-poo", "pee-pee", "come", "out", "home", but that will take pages and pages.

In short, cats not only recognise their name but can be taught some simple vocabulary so you can communicate effectively with them.
Blackie Mama, tonite you try cooing, "Whitieeeeee, Whiteeeee ..." and see he respond to Mama or not? Report to us tomorrow, ahhhhh???
Old 02-02-2009, 12:31 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I do think cats respond to their names. My Peterpan and Gemok respond to me when I call them even when they are in the other room. When I said "come Peter sit on my lap he will come and sit on my lap.When I call "come Gemok, come.She meow very loudly and come to me.That's the time I always say "good girl' and rubbed her tummy and back of her tail.She like it very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post

Old 02-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Oooi furkids, tak percaya ke? Come to my home and I'll show you la....

I tried changing his name to Obama, but he didn't respond. He also didn't respond to Brownie, his brother's name. My mum and I tested him before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurKids View Post
Blackie Mama, tonite you try cooing, "Whitieeeeee, Whiteeeee ..." and see he respond to Mama or not? Report to us tomorrow, ahhhhh???
Old 02-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Puppet Master~

ah~ susahnyer nak train kucing.. huhuhu.. nak bela anjing plak la mcm ni... senang sikit nak suruh suruh buang rantin2 pokok kat sekeliling umah...
Old 02-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Kucing is our master, we are the slaves. Anjing tuh lain, dia slave, kitorang master.

So, klu chemonk nak train buang rantin2 pokok kat sekeliling umah, lebih effective klu bela seorang maid....

Quote:
ah~ susahnyer nak train kucing.. huhuhu.. nak bela anjing plak la mcm ni... senang sikit nak suruh suruh buang rantin2 pokok kat sekeliling umah...
Old 02-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Yeah, I do think cats respond to their names. My Peterpan and Gemok respond to me when I call them even when they are in the other room. When I said "come Peter sit on my lap he will come and sit on my lap.When I call "come Gemok, come.She meow very loudly and come to me.That's the time I always say "good girl' and rubbed her tummy and back of her tail.She like it very much.
June, tonite you use your sweetest voice and call, "Kuali! Kualiiiiii!!" or "Supermodel!!! Supermodellll!!!" and see is both cats come running ...

I have a cat who will stop in her tracks while running in opposite direction and turn to look at me when I call, "Snoooooowyyyyy!!!" but does not respond when I talk to the group or say other things.

My Kotak Monster also will do a U-turn while running away and dash towards me the moment he hears his name.

I have several other cats that I think know and definitelyl respond to their names but others respond to my voice and eye contact (body language) only. I tested this out on my cats.

Yes, it is very interesting.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:43 PM
Puppet Master~

blackie... bukan tanak bela maid... tapi org bujang tak bleh maaaa.. nanti kene tangkap wooo... since my neighbor's dog selalu masuk compound saya dan curi kasut2 saya bawak pegi umah sebelah... i'm think that would be useful if we can train our pet... mula mula train to call them specifically by their name.. kemudian train jadi org gaji plak.... step by step.. tapi mcm susah je kucing ni... cat can never be as clever as dog.. huhuhu... betul la kata u.. kita slave aja... huhuhu sapu bilik diorg... susan balik scratching pad diorg yg tah kemana mana diorg tarik... haih~
Old 02-02-2009, 12:45 PM
Animal lover

mew mew is on a distinguished road

Blackie, your cat so intelligent, ar...knows sooo many words. How you teach your cat? Do you repeat the words everyday until he knows?
Old 02-02-2009, 12:47 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Ooohhh, macam nie ke??
Ok, Chemonk train la anjing neighbour ko instead....train him to not curi your kasut2, tapi instead, buat kerja utk Chemonk.

Quote:
blackie... bukan tanak bela maid... tapi org bujang tak bleh maaaa.. nanti kene tangkap wooo... since my neighbor's dog selalu masuk compound saya dan curi kasut2 saya bawak pegi umah sebelah... i'm think that would be useful if we can train our pet... mula mula train to call them specifically by their name.. kemudian train jadi org gaji plak.... step by step.. tapi mcm susah je kucing ni... cat can never be as clever as dog.. huhuhu... betul la kata u.. kita slave aja... huhuhu sapu bilik diorg... susan balik scratching pad diorg yg tah kemana mana diorg tarik... haih~
Old 02-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Animal lover

furkids, do you call your kotak monster....kotak monster will come to you? Kotak monster destroy alot of kotaks ke?
Old 02-02-2009, 12:54 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Yup, I sit down with him every day and give him English lessons.

For words like food, snack, salmon, easy....each time show him the item, repeat the words, then give it to him. For words like sleep, tsunami, it's by action. Push him down gently until he's lying down on my bed, then I lie down myself, say "sleep", yawn, close my eyes, and repeat it until he does the same. Then say stroke him and say, clever, good boy.

You see, at night, he doesn't want to sleep, prefers to play so we have to tell him, "good night, Blackie, sleep".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mew mew View Post
Blackie, your cat so intelligent, ar...knows sooo many words. How you teach your cat? Do you repeat the words everyday until he knows?
Old 02-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road

sudah pernah.dulu Gemok I named her Tomtom.tp because she's the fattest among all kita panggil gemok smp skrg walaupun dia sd slim down after ikut my diet programme dia tak response klu panggil Tomtom,klu Gemok baru dia lari berkejar2 kuar dari bilik.Peterpan blm pernah pula panggil dgn nama lain cuma klu dia main2 dlm bilik bila I call him to come to my room dia pun lari2 dtg.tp kucing2 lain tak response pun klu dipanggil nama durang. as u said,klu pandang mata dia baru durang response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurKids View Post
June, tonite you use your sweetest voice and call, "Kuali! Kualiiiiii!!" or "Supermodel!!! Supermodellll!!!" and see is both cats come running ...

I have a cat who will stop in her tracks while running in opposite direction and turn to look at me when I call, "Snoooooowyyyyy!!!" but does not respond when I talk to the group or say other things.

My Kotak Monster also will do a U-turn while running away and dash towards me the moment he hears his name.

I have several other cats that I think know and definitelyl respond to their names but others respond to my voice and eye contact (body language) only. I tested this out on my cats.

Yes, it is very interesting.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Animal lover

June, when you look at your cat's eyes...it's like hypnotize them, then they'll listen to what you say.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Mamiauww...

shareen_natasha is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to shareen_natasha
Talking Re: Do Cats Respond to Their Name Being Called?

c.kiah akn respond bila kita ketuk2 brg mainan dia.. lari mencicit mai... nk main punya pasai... rasa2nya kna ulang2 banyak kali bila nk ajr ssuatu lar... my newbies kt umh ni xtau la...buaih ya amat....
Old 02-02-2009, 03:18 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mew mew View Post
furkids, do you call your kotak monster....kotak monster will come to you? Kotak monster destroy alot of kotaks ke?
No, he very good and sweet boboy ... he just hides in the kotak and ambushes the pretty girls (with sexy legs) ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B47JRM04.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	3219   Click image for larger version

Name:	B47JRM06.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	3220   Click image for larger version

Name:	B47JRM05.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	3221