Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies

Dogs & Puppies General information and discussions on taking care of your canine buddy

Old 09-25-2008, 12:22 AM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation
Exclamation ommon Mistakes Dog Owners Make - Please Avoid Them-Dr. Jon

Hi dog lover,

I recently had someone ask me (over dinner) - what are the most common mistakes that pet owners make with their pets?

I had to think for a few minutes, but 6 major things came to mind. I thought I'd share them with you in hopes that we can prevent a problem with your pet.

Here are six mistakes many pet owners make:

1. Not having a yearly examination done on their pets. Yearly exams are important and can isolate potential health problems early while they are still treatable.

2. Don't keep a current ID tag on their pet or embed microchip. Many pets don't have a current ID tag or microchip. These two items provide the BEST information so your lost pet can be returned to you. At the clinics - we often see pets brought in without a tag or microchip for identification. Without Identification, many of these pets are never reunited with their owners and are either put up for adoption or in more sad cases, euthanized.

3. Allow their dog to run free. This is a problem for many reasons. Dogs that are permitted to "run free" often get into trash, ingest toxins or are traumatized by being hit by a car or in a fight with another animal. This can be prevented by keeping a dog within a fenced yard or on a leash.

4. Skimping on nutrition. A good quality food is important to dogs. Skimping on nutrition can be a problem. Dogs need a high quality balanced diet that is formulated to meet their life-stage needs.

5. Don't monitor their dogs. It is important to monitor dogs on a daily basis. Dogs are so good at hiding their illnesses that often by the time we notice - the disease may be quite advanced. For this reason - it is important to look for early signs of problems. Monitor your dog's urinations, defecations, attitude and appetite every day.

6. Lastly, many pet owners don't pay attention to toxins and medications that may be laying around and accessible to their dog. It is important to dog-proof your home to ensure your dog can't get into common toxins such as rat poison, anti-freeze, medications (dog and human) or the trash.

I know that feeding a high quality diet costs a bit more, but in my opinion it is an investment in your dog's well being. I know that in the current economy saving money is a top priority, so I want to make you aware that Hill's
Whatever you do, keep your dog safe. Most importantly, ensure your dog is being fed a good quality food, sees your veterinarian yearly. Also, make sure your home is "dog-proof".

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:27 AM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ommon Mistakes Dog Owners Make - Please Avoid Them-Dr. Jon

hi dog is my buddy,
thanks for the info
i'd also like to add that another mistake dog owners make, especially here in malaysia, is leashing their dogs for long periods of time. i see this all the time. almost everytime i pass a house with a dog, i see that it is leashed all day and all night. worse, sometimes the leashes are too short. this leashing habit that malaysians have with their dogs must stop. it is terribly unhealthy, uncomfortable, and cruel. it limits their movement, prevents them from getting exercising, and makes the poor dogs incredibly bored.

i think that if people adopt dogs and just leash them all the time, then they just shouldn't have dogs at all.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:39 AM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation
Default Re: ommon Mistakes Dog Owners Make - Please Avoid Them-Dr. Jon

At Malaysia dog owner family have 3 kind living with dog,
1: Dog is human best friend, treat them as family as well. They are free and happy in living. Getting the best from owner. Training and social with other dog as well.

2. Dog is working to human, they are use as watch house, the job is barking, eat, and sleep. Almost this dog is useless beside barking. It is owner foul.

3.Treat they as pet, staying at home, when meet the owner, the dog will wagging tail and let owner hold in hand. this life might boring for a dog. Eat, Wagging tail, and Sleep.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.