Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your cat's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 10-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road
Default Fatty Liver Disease in Cats AKA Feline Hepatic Lipidosis

Fatty Liver Disease in Cats

AKA Feline Hepatic Lipidosis

By Franny Syufy, About.com

See More About:

Geriatric cats are prone to a number of diseases and conditions, and one of the more common ones is Fatty Liver Disease, which is an accumulation of fats (lipids) in the liver tissue. Although the disease is presently considered idiopathic (no known cause), it is thought that it might result from the way cats metabolize proteins and fats. The disease progresses this way:
  • A previously overweight cat stops eating for whatever reason
  • Lacking food, the body starts sending fat cells to the liver to process into lipoproteins for fuel.
  • Cats' livers are not terribly efficient at processing fat, and much of the fat is stored in the liver cells.
  • Left untreated, eventually the liver fails and the cat dies.
Whatever the cause, the symptoms are common: A previously overweight older cat suddenly becomes anorexic (quits eating), loses weight, and may salivate excessively or vomit. The cat may become very lethargic and may show jaundice (yellowing of eyes and skin). However, anorexia and weight loss can also be symptoms of other diseases, such as liver cancer or pancreatic disease, and FLS (Fatty Liver Syndrome) can only be accurately diagnosed conclusively through tests. A complete blood profile may indicate increased liver enzymes, and the diagnosis can be confirmed with a liver biopsy done under light anesthesia, with a large needle through the skin.

FLS is Reversible if Caught in Time
The treatment for Fatty Liver Disease is dietary, and works quite well in reversing the condition if diagnosed early. The idea is to force feed the cat enough nutrients to reverse the metabolic malfunction that caused the condition in the first place. This is usually done with a feeding tube which is inserted into the esophogas or stomach by a veterinarian. The cat's caretaker then mixes a formula in a blender and using a syringe, feeds a small amount down the tube several times daily. After a few weeks of the forced diet, the cat can be offered food normally, to test his appetite, although the tubal feeding may need to be continued for up to six or eight weeks, until the cat's appetite has fully returned to normal.
Some caregivers who hesitate to encumber the cat with a tube have been successful with syringe feeding directly into their cat's mouth. Extreme care must be taken to feed slowly into the side of the mouth, to prevent aspiration of the food. A formula can be blended with a soft palatable food such as Hills A/D, mixed with low sodium broth or water. When I was syringe-feeding my Shannon, I added a small amount of canned pumpkin and a gel (in a tube) supplement. Your own veterinarian may prescribe a different formula for your cat.

FLS May be Secondary to Other Conditions
It is not unusual to see Fatty Liver Disease follow in a cat who is being treated for cancer, FIV, FeLV, or other serious conditions. This is likely to happen because a sick cat simply does not feel like eating, although there may be other factors involved.

Advanced Cases Need Additional Treatment
Cats presenting advanced symptoms (jaundice, seizures) will require hospitalization. Fluids may need to be injected to reverse dehydration, and if liver failure is present, the ensuing toxins will need to be dispersed. Other conditions which need veterinary intervention may also be present.

Timeliness is Essential
Although primary FLS can be readily treated if caught early, when left untreated, the disease moves rapidly, and is always fatal.

The good news is that with aggressive nutritional treatment, a cat can fully recover.One veterinarian estimates a 90% recovery rate if a cat with FLS is treated early enough.

Even if a cat has not yet developed FLS, a sudden and serious weight loss should be viewed seriously, and the cat should be coaxed to eat, in any way possible. Trying to tempt an anorexic cat to eat can be a frustrating experience, especially with an older cat, that might be easily stressed. I've assembled a list of helpful things to try, gleaned from suggestions by About Cats Forum members, as well as my experiences with my cat Shannon, who became anorexic in his final stages of FIV and CRF.

Keep Him Well-Hydrated
Dehydrated cats quickly lose their appetites. In fact, anorexic cats are more often than not dehydrated. Try flavoring his water with a small amount of sodium-free chicken broth, or even giving watered-down chicken broth a small teaspoon at a time. An automatic water dispenser may also tempt him to drink more water, which will also help guard against urinary tract problems.

Warm up Canned Food
Older cats' olifactory senses may deteriorate to the point that they can't smell their food. Try warming a small amount of canned food in a microwave oven. If it's too hot, add some more food right out of the can until it's a little warmer than room temperature. Then hold the dish right under his nose and let him get a good sniff. Alternatively, mix a small amount of hot water in the food and stir until it forms a sort of "gruel." Sometimes a senior cat's teeth and/or mouth may be sore, and they'd prefer a much softer food they can lick, rather than "chew."

Offer Canned Pumpkin
Plain canned pumpkin is loaded with vitamins, and more importantly, fiber. Most cats love the taste. Offer a small amount on the tip of a teaspoon, and if he likes it, give up to two teaspoons a day. Constipation goes along with anorexia, and the pumpkin will help. If your cat doesn't like it, you can always bake a pie with the remainder.

Human Baby Food
Plain meat is preferable, and make sure it doesn't contain onions. Try a number of flavors until you hit on one your cat likes. I also gave Shannon baby food squash and peas, and he readily ate both.

Try a New Food
Even if your cat has been on a premium quality diet, forget the labels for the time being, and look for "stinky" foods that might whet that ailing appetite.

Use "Add-Ons" to Enhance the Flavor

• Try Tuna Juice: Although tuna is not generally recommended in quanity for cats, try adding some tuna juice to his regular food to spice up the taste. Use the water from albacore tuna, rather than the pink varieties.
  • Clam Juice
  • Sardines, minced fine
  • Kitty Kaviar: This is available from most larger pet food stores. It is made of dried bonito (tuna), and is irresistible to cats. Dried bonito flakes are also marketed under Seagate Pet Gold Dried Bonito Flakes. You can also purchase dried Bonito flakes in bulk at some health food stores, or oriental markets - much more economical.
  • Tuna Dash: Dried powdered tuna
  • Jack Mackeral: Either chop up over his food or offer separately.
The point is that "desperate times call for desperate means," and right now, your main consideration is not in what your cat is eating, so much as actually getting him to eat something.
Any cat, particularly an older one, that stops eating and loses weight rapidly should be taken to the veterinarian immediately, because anorexia and weight loss can be symptoms of a number of other diseases. Discuss these suggestions with your veterinarian, since each cat has a different health history.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:07 PM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fatty Liver Disease in Cats AKA Feline Hepatic Lipidosis

oh that sounds scary. i suppose this is something that owners of overweight cats should look out for as their pets age.. would i be correct in saying that long-term obesity could lead to this disease?

i don't know if you remember, but, in your tribute to tabbies thread i mentioned that fat fat was around 5.5 kg.. well, turns out i'm wrong.. that was his weight LAST YEAR.

i brought him to the vet a couple of days ago for a routine check up and i'm ashamed to say that he has ballooned to 6.8 kg. naturally i was very very shocked because when he was 5.5 kg my vet already thought he was overweight and put him on a special diet food. however, i wasn't comfortable feeding him that longterm so after he slimmed down i switched back to normal adult cat food, two small meals a day. just a 1/4 of a cup at each meal, meaning only 1/2 cup of kibble a day. i thought this was adequate control. boy was i wrong. he put on 1.3kg in a year and now he is back on his special diet food for obese cats.

unfortunately for my poor boy, he gains weight very easily so even very small meals don't prevent him from being pudgy. now he is huge. what he needs is lots and lots of exercise, but the weight gain has made him sluggish. i had no idea he had gained so much weight. i thought he was the same.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fatty Liver Disease in Cats AKA Feline Hepatic Lipidosis

what i understand from this article is this is highly likely to happen when an obese cat is put on diet and his food is withheld - that's when the body mechanism kicks in to send fatty tissue to the liver to broken down and convert into lipopproteins.

it is okay to helpy our cat to trim of excess weight but always on vet's advice - don't put him a crash diet. also it also depends on what food you feed your cat - let your vet knows the brand you feed your cat, the recommended feeding guidefor different weight/age range provided by this brand (you can print out from their website) and how you should go about doing it.

not only for cats on diet - i read another article somewhere on this subject (but i can't locate it now), that this will also affect cats who are lost and suddenly can't find food - they experienced a suddenly drop in food to the body - hence this might kick in -

now i'm keeping an eye on ginger - he looks abit fat around the middle and i'm also asking my vets lots of question on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynielime View Post
oh that sounds scary. i suppose this is something that owners of overweight cats should look out for as their pets age.. would i be correct in saying that long-term obesity could lead to this disease?

i don't know if you remember, but, in your tribute to tabbies thread i mentioned that fat fat was around 5.5 kg.. well, turns out i'm wrong.. that was his weight LAST YEAR.

i brought him to the vet a couple of days ago for a routine check up and i'm ashamed to say that he has ballooned to 6.8 kg. naturally i was very very shocked because when he was 5.5 kg my vet already thought he was overweight and put him on a special diet food. however, i wasn't comfortable feeding him that longterm so after he slimmed down i switched back to normal adult cat food, two small meals a day. just a 1/4 of a cup at each meal, meaning only 1/2 cup of kibble a day. i thought this was adequate control. boy was i wrong. he put on 1.3kg in a year and now he is back on his special diet food for obese cats.

unfortunately for my poor boy, he gains weight very easily so even very small meals don't prevent him from being pudgy. now he is huge. what he needs is lots and lots of exercise, but the weight gain has made him sluggish. i had no idea he had gained so much weight. i thought he was the same.