Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens

Cats & Kittens General information and discussions on taking care of your feline buddy

Old 12-02-2009, 02:19 AM
PetFinder Guru

Halim66 is on a distinguished road
Question Where's the balls?

Salam and hi...

Last Sunday night, i sent Rain for neuter but the operation was done on Monday, around 1400 i guess. Semalam balik dari ofis singgah tengok dia kat pets clinic tu. Still mabuk lagi, nampak mcm tidur but when i called his name, terus dia nak bangun tapi tak boleh... lepas tu muntah. Alahai, i really hate to see him like that. Tak sampai hati nak tengok i keluar, my mrs. still with him sambil i borak dgn staff kat situ. Then... baru lah i tau, neuter ni terus buang testis dia.. To be frank, i tot that it's only a method of "disconnect" the sperm channel becoz that's what i've been taught masa belajar dulu tapi pada kambing laa . Masa tu kalau tak silap i ada a few methods utk kembiri ni dan yg paling i ingat they used to have this tools, some sort like a plier... kepit pada pangkal testis kambing tu utk putuskan salur sperm... mmg ganas cara ni dan cara yg lain ialah dgn pembedahan utk putuskan salur sperm ( and the balls still intact cam biasa) tu but this method is a bit costly laa.

Anyway, Alhamdulillah... i dah bawak dia balik ptg tadi. He looks ok, cool and relax. Mcm-2 i tanya kat staff tu, ada ubat tak? mcm mana nak jaga dia masa ni tapi staff tu ckp takde apa lah cuma jgn bagi dia lasak sangat. Dlm kereta dia dah bising tak nak duduk dlm cage so my mrs lepaskan. Terus dia duduk atas lap i. Sampai rumah, tak sampai 5 minit dah berlari, melompat berkejar dgn Romeow. Tak sakit ker mamat ni?

Then 1 hal lagi... Rain kena hernia.. kucing pun kena hernia??? mmg dah perasan masa mula-2 ambik dia balik dulu, lepas mandikan dia i rasa ada lump kat betul-2 tengah-2 perut dia. Jadi masa hantar tu i dah pesan kat vet. tolong check kan sekali pasal lump tu. Tadi bila vet. tu ckp hernia i terkejut, dah takde testis cam mana boleh kena hernia lagi? then baru perasan... perut
kucing is the lowest part of the abdomen, manusia ni kat kangkang...

So, InsyaAllah next week, kena hantar lagi sekali for operation hernia plak... mudah-2an takde complication or whatsoever....

Moral of the story, kenalah cari byk lagi knowledge pasal nak bela kucing ni...
Old 12-02-2009, 10:39 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Where's the balls?

What do you mean kena hantar balik seminggu lagi utk operate on the umbilical hernia after neutering? And you mean to say that you are actually still going back to that incompetent vet at that clinic?

Normally kalau kucing tu ada umbilical hernia like your cat, if it has not resolved itself by the time you want to neuter your cat, any competent vet surgeon would tie up the hole (prevent the intestines from falling through the hole and can cause death in some cases) during the very same neuter/spay operation so that the cat would not be subjected to additional risk and stress encountered during any surgical operation. EVERY surgery operation carries a degree of risk which can cause death.

With internet, you can acquire a LOT of knowledge to make good decisions and not rely on incompetent vets, Halim. Do some Google-ing on umbilical hernia, kay friend? I always believe that as long as we have learned our alphabets and can read, we empower ourselves through learning free of charge via the internet.
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 12-02-2009, 12:35 PM
PetFinder Guru

Question Re: Where's the balls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurKids View Post
What do you mean kena hantar balik seminggu lagi utk operate on the umbilical hernia after neutering? And you mean to say that you are actually still going back to that incompetent vet at that clinic?

Normally kalau kucing tu ada umbilical hernia like your cat, if it has not resolved itself by the time you want to neuter your cat, any competent vet surgeon would tie up the hole (prevent the intestines from falling through the hole and can cause death in some cases) during the very same neuter/spay operation so that the cat would not be subjected to additional risk and stress encountered during any surgical operation. EVERY surgery operation carries a degree of risk which can cause death.

With internet, you can acquire a LOT of knowledge to make good decisions and not rely on incompetent vets, Halim. Do some Google-ing on umbilical hernia, kay friend? I always believe that as long as we have learned our alphabets and can read, we empower ourselves through learning free of charge via the internet.
That's the question laa, i called the vet at least 2 hours before the operation and told her to check for the lump and if there's a need to do a minor operation to remove it and if it's POSSIBLE to do it at the same time, then just go ahead.

Only after the operation was done she told me that Rain need to go for the hernia thing operation... i did asked her why can't she do it at the same time and she said it was a different operation and it's too risky to do it in 1 time.

She even asked me to let Rain stay for another 2 days for the hernia operation but there's no way i'm gonna let Rain to go through another operation in such a short period of time.

So, when and where should i take Rain for this hernia operation? I'm staying in Semenyih/Kajang and i'm not allowed to take any leave until mid Jan... so only weekend sajer yg free... pls advice.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Halim,

One possibility is that your vet neutered your cat using a local anaesthetic, just to numb the area where she was cutting. Castrating a male cat is a very minor operation, really, and there's no need to use general anaesthetic.

Perhaps the hernia repair will need general anaesthetic, which will put him to sleep during the surgery.

If that is the case, it would explain why she wouldn't do both procedures at the same time. I would not assume that your vet is incompetent, but getting a second opinion from another vet is always a good idea.

I'm sorry, I don't know about any of the vets in the Kajang area, but I can speak highly for the vets at Gasing Veterinary Hospital in PJ. They could certainly have a look at your kitten's hernia and give you their thoughts.

Best of luck to you and Rain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halim66 View Post
That's the question laa, i called the vet at least 2 hours before the operation and told her to check for the lump and if there's a need to do a minor operation to remove it and if it's POSSIBLE to do it at the same time, then just go ahead.

Only after the operation was done she told me that Rain need to go for the hernia thing operation... i did asked her why can't she do it at the same time and she said it was a different operation and it's too risky to do it in 1 time.

She even asked me to let Rain stay for another 2 days for the hernia operation but there's no way i'm gonna let Rain to go through another operation in such a short period of time.

So, when and where should i take Rain for this hernia operation? I'm staying in Semenyih/Kajang and i'm not allowed to take any leave until mid Jan... so only weekend sajer yg free... pls advice.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:33 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Halim,

One possibility is that your vet neutered your cat using a local anaesthetic, just to numb the area where she was cutting. Castrating a male cat is a very minor operation, really, and there's no need to use general anaesthetic.

Perhaps the hernia repair will need general anaesthetic, which will put him to sleep during the surgery.

If that is the case, it would explain why she wouldn't do both procedures at the same time. I would not assume that your vet is incompetent, but getting a second opinion from another vet is always a good idea.

I'm sorry, I don't know about any of the vets in the Kajang area, but I can speak highly for the vets at Gasing Veterinary Hospital in PJ. They could certainly have a look at your kitten's hernia and give you their thoughts.

Best of luck to you and Rain!
Nope, Rain's is fully knocked down, that's what i've been told and Rain is still struggling to get on his feet 4 hours after the operation and vomit.
It's a general, not local anaesthetic for sure.

As stated is my 1st posting, he recovered very well after the operation and i'm goin to make sure of that.. and it's a huge relief for me anyway. If anything goes wrong, than it's me to be blame la becoz i'm the 1 who made the decision.

Gasing Vet. hospital in PJ is under UPM is i'm not mistaken. If that's the case then i can take Rain to the Vet. hospital in Serdang... but the problem is the operational hours is only during weekdays... which is the big problem for me rite now....
Old 12-02-2009, 02:15 PM
PetFinder Buddy

gambate is on a distinguished road

Where in Kajang are you? I might be able to help, altho I'm in Bangi, I live in Serdang which is just beside the UPM gate..hehe
Old 12-02-2009, 04:03 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambate View Post
Where in Kajang are you? I might be able to help, altho I'm in Bangi, I live in Serdang which is just beside the UPM gate..hehe
I'm at Sunway Semenyih, Kajang...
Old 12-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Ooooff! Poor Rain! and poor you. But if something goes wrong, Halim, you are not to blame. You obviously care very much about your cat, and neutering him is the responsible thing to do. But the vet put him under general anaesthesia to neuter him and didn't fix the hernia at the same time?? That is indeed suspicious. Hmmm... :-(

Gasing Vet Clinic is independent, not part of UPM, and you might want to give them a call. They are open 24 hours, but they may charge higher rates if you come late at night. I know they're open on weekends. 03-7782 3553

Good luck!

Quote:
Nope, Rain's is fully knocked down, that's what i've been told and Rain is still struggling to get on his feet 4 hours after the operation and vomit.
It's a general, not local anaesthetic for sure.

As stated is my 1st posting, he recovered very well after the operation and i'm goin to make sure of that.. and it's a huge relief for me anyway. If anything goes wrong, than it's me to be blame la becoz i'm the 1 who made the decision.

Gasing Vet. hospital in PJ is under UPM is i'm not mistaken. If that's the case then i can take Rain to the Vet. hospital in Serdang... but the problem is the operational hours is only during weekdays... which is the big problem for me rite now....
Old 12-02-2009, 05:55 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Ooooff! Poor Rain! and poor you. But if something goes wrong, Halim, you are not to blame. You obviously care very much about your cat, and neutering him is the responsible thing to do. But the vet put him under general anaesthesia to neuter him and didn't fix the hernia at the same time?? That is indeed suspicious. Hmmm... :-(

Gasing Vet Clinic is independent, not part of UPM, and you might want to give them a call. They are open 24 hours, but they may charge higher rates if you come late at night. I know they're open on weekends. 03-7782 3553

Good luck!
Hmmm... without the hernia problem the vet. has done a very good job indeed... but since you guys told me the procedure can be done at the same time, she owes me an explaination and maybe she has one.

I'll find out and thanks guys for the info....
Old 12-02-2009, 05:58 PM
PetFinder Buddy

gambate is on a distinguished road

if u decided to go with UPM's vet, i can bring in Rain for you.

But u do the necessary calls to UPM to arrange stuff and to explain his condition etc.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:33 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambate View Post
if u decided to go with UPM's vet, i can bring in Rain for you.

But u do the necessary calls to UPM to arrange stuff and to explain his condition etc.

Thank you so much for your kindness. I'll let you know if i really need your help my fren...
Old 12-02-2009, 06:33 PM
LeenMaF|a

Lyn_Cat is on a distinguished road

Leh tumpang tanye kalo nak operate hernia di UPM brape kos? sbb kucing i pun ade hernia .Biasa kucing hernia dekat bwh perut, tp kucing i hernia dekat belakang .. Dah cek doktor, ade kesan koyak kat dlm..rasanya koyak sbb dulu dia pernah kena geget ngan anjing. Mungkin luaran dah baik tp yg bhgian dalam luka tak cantum balik..

Rasanya kalo buat kat UPM, prosedur pertama, kena xray dulu (itu dah rm50 kos)
Old 12-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
Hmmm... without the hernia problem the vet. has done a very good job indeed... but since you guys told me the procedure can be done at the same time, she owes me an explaination and maybe she has one.

I'll find out and thanks guys for the info....
Halim, don't waste your time and energy with the incompetent vet, just move on and focus on your cat. Buat penat bertekak dan buang masa dengar pelbagai alasan (banyak tactic nanti to intimidate you with medical jargon so that you as a so-called ignorant layman will back down in confusion, unethical professionals do this all the time). She saw your cat had 2 issues (neuter and umbilical hernia), rather than selecting the option to address them together (for yours and your cats' advantage and benefit), she opted to address them separately (unprofessionally of course, for hers and her business' benefit, nothing of yours or your cat's).

Anyway, since the neutering has been done, unless the umbilical hernia's condition is life threatening (eg. part of the intestine has fallen through the hole and is in danger of dying off due to loss of blood flow to the area caused by pressure and constriction by the hole, causing toxicity and sepsis), the second operation can wait till your cat has fully recovered from the first operation. Take your time, don't have to rush, what is done is done. Don't make another mistake in haste and panic. Kesian the cat .... sometimes the stress of the simple neuter operation can cause your cat to become ill some time later on kalau dia ada penyakit terpendam macam some of the immune deficiency penyakit where he did not show signs of succumbing when strong and healthy. So Halim tunggu lah next year kalau its condition is not life threatening.

How old is your cat? Examine if the bulge has been getting bigger or not since tiny kitten stage. Like one of my male kittens the hernia resolved by itself by the time I neutered him at 7 month(I always prefer to neuter my males kittens a little later at around 7 months) so I did not need to do any operation. That is why competent and knowledgeable vets will tell you to hold on for umbilical hernia conditions until neutering age so that they will do it one shot if it did not resolve by itself by then.

p.s. Maneki Neko, from my experience at Gasing Hospital, not all the vets and staff there are good (leaves very much to be desired from my own experience). Only the boss himself is, but he is running around all the time, dashing between upstairs and downstairs in the same clinic as well as between 2 clinics. And even though many say his charges are reasonable, a good many average income cat owners actually cannot afford him - they can only afford the cat :-) ... I see many beautiful long haired cat (bila saya tanya, they tell me diorang beli for so many hundred ringgit) brought to the government vet clinic in a plastic basket tied to a motorbike bila kucing sakit demam tak mau makan because the owners cannot even afford a Kancil!

Such is the love and drawing power of the long-haired feline! Tsk! Tsk!
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies

Last edited by FurKids; 12-03-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:47 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:

How old is your cat? Examine if the bulge has been getting bigger or not since tiny kitten stage. Like one of my male kittens the hernia resolved by itself by the time I neutered him at 7 month(I always prefer to neuter my males kittens a little later at around 7 months) so I did not need to do any operation. That is why competent and knowledgeable vets will tell you to hold on for umbilical hernia conditions until neutering age so that they will do it one shot if it did not resolve by itself by then.
Furkids,

i can't really tell how old is my cat. The previous owner told me he's about 5 months when i adopted him so plus another 1 1/2 months = 6 1/2 months old.

For the bulge, i can say that it remains the same, no difference since i took him back and noticed the bulge when i bath him. It's about the size of the pistacios nut. The area has been shaved by the vet, so it's quite obvious now.

So now, i think i have to settle my BumbleBee 1st laa..he's the next one to be neuter.... maklumlah kan, musim cuti sekolah ni mmg musim bersunat
then next year jer lah settle kan hernia problem Rain...
Old 12-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Default How to determine a cat's age

Halim, your vet can estimate the age of your cat/kitten (kittens sebelum 12 bulan paling senang dan tepat). You can do it too. I have attached a guide for you to read (or go to http://www.ruralareavet.org/PDF/Phys...ermine_Age.pdf) so that you can do it yourself at home with your cats. Tapi jangan paksa mereka, make sure you belai kaw-kaw, bisik lots of soft, gentle loving cayang-cayang words to them utk tenangkan hati mereka ... and of course, standby lots of daging dada ayam rebus for rasuah!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Physical_Exam-How_to_Determine_Age.pdf (29.1 KB, 1071 views)
Old 12-03-2009, 09:30 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Furkids, I based my comment upon my own experiences with Dr. Prem and his associates at the Brickfields clinic. Silly me -- it's my own personal bias (admittedly being the child of a veterinarian) to base my opinion upon the vets and not whether the cats in their clinic have long or short fur or in what type of vehicle they were brought there.

Halim, may you find a clinic with skilled vets, affordable prices and hours that fit with your schedule. Forgive me for suggesting one.

Quote:
Only the boss himself is, but he is running around all the time, dashing between upstairs and downstairs in the same clinic as well as between 2 clinics. And even though many say his charges are reasonable, a good many average income cat owners actually cannot afford him - they can only afford the cat :-) ... I see many beautiful long haired cat (bila saya tanya, they tell me diorang beli for so many hundred ringgit) brought to the government vet clinic in a plastic basket tied to a motorbike bila kucing sakit demam tak mau makan because the owners cannot even afford a Kancil!

Such is the love and drawing power of the long-haired feline! Tsk! Tsk!
Old 12-07-2009, 10:32 AM
PetFinder Guru

Salam and Hi to all,

i'm started to get worried Rain didn't poo the whole day yesterday... and vomit a few times. Makan pun tak rasanya. Tak sure bila dia start jadi mcm ni sebab i takde kat rumah until 10pm last nite. He was ok on Saturday. Masa keluar rumah dlm pukul 11am semalam dia slow semacam jer. Bila balik mlm tadi nampak bekas muntah then there's nothing dlm litter tray dia. Nak angkat dia keluar dari cage dia pun dia tak nak... dari mlm tadi i balik sampai nak keluar pergi ofis pagi ni dia still mcm tu jugak... risau dah ni. Is it that hernia problem boleh buat dia jadi mcm ni? the only thing yg lain dari biasa dia makan ialah dada ayam rebus... tapi Bee & Rain pun makan sama so nak kata makanan jadi punca mungkin tidak....

Anyway, kena cari jalan balik awal skit hari ni... nasib baik my mrs. cuti hari ni so at least ada orang kat rumah
Old 12-07-2009, 10:50 AM
PetFinder Guru

Location: Seri Kembangan, Selangor (Yeah, we got free water!)
sillylupie is on a distinguished road

Oh dear, send him to the vet quick - sounds worrying ..
BTW - where did you send him for neutering? I am certainly avoiding this clinic!

sillylupie-shop
http://sillylupie-shop.blogspot.com
Old 12-07-2009, 11:49 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillylupie View Post
Oh dear, send him to the vet quick - sounds worrying ..
BTW - where did you send him for neutering? I am certainly avoiding this clinic!
my wife just called, Rain is getting worst, dun care lah my boss nak cari ke tak, i'm leaving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-07-2009, 12:55 PM
PetFinder Guru

Location: Seri Kembangan, Selangor (Yeah, we got free water!)
sillylupie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
my wife just called, Rain is getting worst, dun care lah my boss nak cari ke tak, i'm leaving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can imagine how you are feeling now. I've been there before. Don't worry about your "boss" for now, Rain needs medical attention asap.
Just tell your boss "family emergency" he will understand....

Praying for Rain!

sillylupie-shop
http://sillylupie-shop.blogspot.com