Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies

Dogs & Puppies General information and discussions on taking care of your canine buddy

Old 03-16-2009, 12:24 AM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation
Default Bathe Your Dog in 5 Minutes or Less

Do you dread giving your dog a bath? Is it a big soapy mess? Do you let your dog go without a bath for weeks because it is too much of a hassle?

There are other challenges to washing your dog.

Large dogs can be more of a handful just because of their size. Dogs with thick coats are always more difficult to bathe because it's hard to clean through the fur, down to the skin. In some climates, it can be too cold to wash your dog outdoors during winter months - but for some dogs, the job is just too messy to be done indoors. Professional groomers are always a good option ... provided it's in your budget (not always the case -- especially these days).

If bathing your dog has become a challenge or you want to give it a try to save some money, then I have a few tips for you.

Here they are:

1. Never wash your dog outside if the weather is cold. This is particularly true for puppies, who have trouble regulating their body temperatures. Puppies should be at least four weeks old before they receive their first bath.

2. Before bathing, comb and brush out all mats. Otherwise, the water will turn the mats into solid masses, which will require clippers to remove. If your dog's hair is matted with paint, tar or some other sticky material, trim with clippers or soak the area with vegetable or mineral oil for 24 hours. (You may want to speak with a professional groomer if the tangles are really difficult.)

3. Prep your dog. Put a drop of mineral oil in the eyes to protect them from suds. Some people use cotton balls in the ears. If you use cotton balls, make sure they're the right size for your dog's ears; if they're too small, they may slip down the ear canal.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:40 PM
Vivien Wuz Ere

Location: Earth - where every human beings have to live together with animals
vivienlpl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bathe Your Dog in 5 Minutes or Less

mind me asking
do dogs love bathing?

i know cats dont.......... some dogs love.....
what if they dont - how do you get them to bath?
i know it can be really messy...

last time my neighbour got dogs..
wash her dogs..then tie them to the gate sun dry geeee not hot ?

Last edited by vivienlpl; 03-16-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:18 PM
PetFinder Wowwow

vivi is on a distinguished road

Hahah vivien,
ur neighbour tot the doggie are like baju.
sidai sampai kering.
poor dog.

dimb,
i've read that post.
It's from dr jon rite?
Old 03-16-2009, 04:04 PM
PetFinder Moderator

Vivienlpl,
I have 3 dogs, When I calling who want bath first, all run away. I recall again who want the treats. All came and sit in position.
I not sure don't like bath or not, but I know them no bath will going bad smell.
I hate that smell. Bath for dog is easy, only dry up them took time. I think one dog need take 1 1/2 hour bath and dry up + cleaning ears. One more need powerful dryer too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivienlpl View Post
mind me asking
do dogs love bathing?

i know cats done........... some dogs love.....
what if they dont - how do you get them to bath?
i know it can be really messy...

last time my neighbour got dogs..
wash her dogs..then tie them to the gate sun dry geeee not hot ?

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:46 PM
Vivien Wuz Ere

DIMB, so generally they dont hehehe.......

so how do you get them to bath...you can personally cheat them with treats right? hehee

yeah they do need a bath .... smell..... smelly dogs :)

blow dry some more ..

nowadays trend they love what spa..goodness
do the dogs really enjoy it or force to do it because owner said so?
Old 03-16-2009, 08:57 PM
PetFinder Moderator

Vivienlpl,
I think my dogs like bath, because they knew when bad smell, nobody want them. We have gave them hot water, smelly shampoo. I think them like it. hahahahahh
Quote:
DIMB, so generally they dont hehehe.......

so how do you get them to bath...you can personally cheat them with treats right? hehee

yeah they do need a bath .... smell..... smelly dogs :)

blow dry some more ..

nowadays trend they love what spa..goodness
do the dogs really enjoy it or force to do it because owner said so?

Old 03-18-2009, 10:47 AM
Vivien Wuz Ere

why you give your dog smelly shampoo one/
Old 03-18-2009, 11:55 AM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

hahahahhaha.

but i think clement meant that he gave his dogs shampoo meant for removing smell, u know, like anti-odour kind of shampoo.

Quote:
why you give your dog smelly shampoo one/
Old 03-18-2009, 06:12 PM
PetFinder Moderator

vivienlpl and 007,
Original miniature schnauzer with no trace of a doggy odor, the smell is from some where on Muzzle, and Wrist, also ears. They using peppermint shampoo with Peppermint-spearmint essential oil provides moisture for skin and naturally deodorizes. Today I going bath them, because I too free at evening.
see you around at mi night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post
hahahahhaha.

but i think clement meant that he gave his dogs shampoo meant for removing smell, u know, like anti-odour kind of shampoo.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:37 PM
Petfinder Moderator

OIC. ok, see u around midnight, after the clock strikes 12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog is my buddy View Post
vivienlpl and 007,
Original miniature schnauzer with no trace of a doggy odor, the smell is from some where on Muzzle, and Wrist, also ears. They using peppermint shampoo with Peppermint-spearmint essential oil provides moisture for skin and naturally deodorizes. Today I going bath them, because I too free at evening.
see you around at mi night.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:33 AM
PetFinder Moderator

My dogs look like happy after bath.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:15 AM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road

my dogs hate baths too.. i have to drag them to the hose and then i have to leash them so they don't run away when i turn on the water. when i spray them with the water, they keep shaking it off, then i have to wet them again and again!! they make the baths longer than they ahve to be. but the silly thing is, when it rains, they like to run around in the rain!! of course after that i have to bathe them, coz wet dogs smell like stinky feet

after the baths they smell like yummy green apples. we towel dry them and then tony will be cranky for the rest of the day, spike will be hyper and run around in crazy circles..
Old 03-19-2009, 10:00 AM
Vivien Wuz Ere

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynielime View Post
my dogs hate baths too.. i have to drag them to the hose and then i have to leash them so they don't run away when i turn on the water. when i spray them with the water, they keep shaking it off, then i have to wet them again and again!! they make the baths longer than they ahve to be. but the silly thing is, when it rains, they like to run around in the rain!! of course after that i have to bathe them, coz wet dogs smell like stinky feet

after the baths they smell like yummy green apples. we towel dry them and then tony will be cranky for the rest of the day, spike will be hyper and run around in crazy circles..
wow.............drag them some more hahahahaa....

i guess instead of the dog get wet....you end up ....soaky with water more than the dogs right???

yeah some of friends told me dogs love rain aiks? is it true?

i know they love sun bathing
sleep directly under the hot sun
Old 03-19-2009, 10:17 AM
PetFinder Guru

yes you're right!! i do end up more soaked than my dogs.. i even get their shampoo bubbles all over myself.. everytime they shake off the water, they spray me

tony refuses to sit still and spike will keep trying to lick the shampoo i wish someone would bathe them for me. any volunteers? hahahahaha just kidding!!!
Old 03-19-2009, 11:43 AM
Petfinder Moderator

i'm also looking for volunteers to bathe my cat.

wow, i can't imagine what it's like for u to bathe your dogs when they're so much bigger and heavier than a cat.

i can't chain blackie and need my mum to hold the shower screen door tight each time i shower blackie as he has learned how to open the shower screen door and run out, causing my bathroom floor & rug to get wet like a tsunami has crashed in.

Quote:
yes you're right!! i do end up more soaked than my dogs.. i even get their shampoo bubbles all over myself.. everytime they shake off the water, they spray me

tony refuses to sit still and spike will keep trying to lick the shampoo i wish someone would bathe them for me. any volunteers? hahahahaha just kidding!!!
Old 03-19-2009, 02:32 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
i'm also looking for volunteers to bathe my cat.

wow, i can't imagine what it's like for u to bathe your dogs when they're so much bigger and heavier than a cat.

i can't chain blackie and need my mum to hold the shower screen door tight each time i shower blackie as he has learned how to open the shower screen door and run out, causing my bathroom floor & rug to get wet like a tsunami has crashed in.
i've given up on bathing my cats.. i don't dare bathe coco, she would surely get her revenge by pooing on something of mine. fatfat cowers in a corner in total pathetic misery. oscar the girl screams at the top of her lungs the entire time.. horrible, loud, piercing shrieks of terror/agony/fright/complete and utter despair/anger that can be heard throughout the house.. she screams so much that water gets in her mouth and that upsets her even more. you'd think i was killing her. i don't bathe sparks as he's already a very shy boy and scared of people. he'd avoid me for months if i did.. i'm still trying to get his trust back since deworming him in december i'd rather bathe my dogs 10 times than bathe my cats even once..
Old 03-19-2009, 03:21 PM
Petfinder Moderator

wow, u just made me appreciate blackie so much more.

he doesn't scream, only make those tiny, piteous kittenish meows & look at me with such sorrow in his eyes like as if I had betrayed him big time. now that he can't open the shower screen door and escape, he goes through these motions over and over again.....first, stick his head into my chest like someone seeking comfort, then, he'll put his front paws onto my shoulders and try to climb up on me, after i push him down, he'll crawl under me (I'm squatting) to the back, then try to climb up the glass cubicle but would slip down, and the whole cycle is repeated.....

my mum is always amused, she says she doesn't know who's the one getting the shower, blackie or me, since i'm as wet as him by the time i'm done.

after we're done, and i'm rubbing him dry, he turns fierce, growls and hisses at me, and smacking me real hard with his paws whenever he gets the opportunity.

but this is nothing compared to what you have to go through.

Quote:
i've given up on bathing my cats.. i don't dare bathe coco, she would surely get her revenge by pooing on something of mine. fatfat cowers in a corner in total pathetic misery. oscar the girl screams at the top of her lungs the entire time.. horrible, loud, piercing shrieks of terror/agony/fright/complete and utter despair/anger that can be heard throughout the house.. she screams so much that water gets in her mouth and that upsets her even more. you'd think i was killing her. i don't bathe sparks as he's already a very shy boy and scared of people. he'd avoid me for months if i did.. i'm still trying to get his trust back since deworming him in december i'd rather bathe my dogs 10 times than bathe my cats even once..
Old 03-19-2009, 04:38 PM
PetFinder Guru

aww... poor widdle blackie. good thing cats don't stink anyway so don't have to be bathed often

the thing about my dogs is if i don't bathe them every weekend, my whole house smells like dogs and so do i.

Quote:
wow, u just made me appreciate blackie so much more.

he doesn't scream, only make those tiny, piteous kittenish meows & look at me with such sorrow in his eyes like as if I had betrayed him big time. now that he can't open the shower screen door and escape, he goes through these motions over and over again.....first, stick his head into my chest like someone seeking comfort, then, he'll put his front paws onto my shoulders and try to climb up on me, after i push him down, he'll crawl under me (I'm squatting) to the back, then try to climb up the glass cubicle but would slip down, and the whole cycle is repeated.....

my mum is always amused, she says she doesn't know who's the one getting the shower, blackie or me, since i'm as wet as him by the time i'm done.

after we're done, and i'm rubbing him dry, he turns fierce, growls and hisses at me, and smacking me real hard with his paws whenever he gets the opportunity.

but this is nothing compared to what you have to go through.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:01 PM
Petfinder Moderator

so that was u! that day i saw a very pretty lass that smelled like a dog walking down pets people.

aww.....sorry, sorry, a thousand apologies, i was just kidding. i didn't see anybody that smelled like a dog.

Quote:
aww... poor widdle blackie. good thing cats don't stink anyway so don't have to be bathed often

the thing about my dogs is if i don't bathe them every weekend, my whole house smells like dogs and so do i.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:04 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
so that was u! that day i saw a very pretty lass that smelled like a dog walking down pets people.

aww.....sorry, sorry, a thousand apologies, i was just kidding. i didn't see anybody that smelled like a dog.

if you did see someone that smelled like a dog in pets people, it probably really was me