Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > PetFinder Lounge > Tech & Computers

Tech & Computers For the tech guy or gal. Find help on your computers and os or other techie stuff.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:10 PM
PetFinder Guru

Marcelleve is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Marcelleve Send a message via Yahoo to Marcelleve Send a message via Skype™ to Marcelleve
Talking Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab vs. the iPad: Compare For Yourself

Hi Andy and friends,

MERRY XMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Why only Singapore can receive it earlier?

I will try there 'coz supposedly living in Langkawi is tax free zone but the gadgets are more expensive than KL...don't understand really.
Anyway in KL got ZONE duty free, price doesn't have any difference.
Food/housing/Techs prices are almost same in KL but in very inconvenient time and day. At least in KL you can choose shops and a lot of offers/promos.
There is only mini-shops (some mini-shops are closed) & club opens after 10 pm and ATM mostly Offline or no cash.You have to go town to deposit or get some cash where you can go shopping as well. This is general info for someone who live almost 1 year here.

One day, I pray I hope I can open a mini pet shop for food/accessories for dogs & cats.

Heck..I can be a victim of recon or pirated when buying hasty tech gadgets here. I will wait until KL or try in Apple Store that you have mentioned.

Merry Xmas and Happy 2011!!!! Have fun & enjoy.

Best Regards to all,
Eve
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKoh View Post
Yup, there are going to be many competitors rushing out with tablets to exploit the market built by Apple, just like iPhone.

Then again, unless you have access to a foreign country's store, Malaysia almost always receives Apple products a few months later than others, so iPad 2 might only arrive second half of 2011.

That actually gives the competitors a headstart in Malaysia with their newer models that'd most likely arrive first next year.

I usually recommend people buying it from Singapore's Apple Store, which receives the item much faster than Malaysia, unless you have friends in US who can ship it over to you.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:19 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

AndyKoh has disabled reputation
Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab vs. the iPad: Compare For Yourself

Hmm, I haven't tried this before. This probably converts the video to a much smaller-sized file that your iPad's Movies app can play and can by synced via iTunes, as opposed to apps like VLC Player which plays desktop video formats with large size.

You might want to try out its trial first and see if it meets your needs, or search for some alternative freeware video converters.

Let me know how it goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coony View Post
Ok! I found this software call DVD to iPad Video Converter Suite (http://ipad-software-store.com/DVDtoiPad.htm) it is quite good but I think it's a bit pricey compare to most ipad app
Old 12-26-2010, 02:23 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Merry Christmas to you too, Eve!

Well, you see, Apple devices are in hot demand, and they only become available in stages at other countries, starting from those that have a high customer base. Malaysia definitely does not fall into their Tier 1 category... so we always have to wait a few months at least.

And like you see, iPad was launched in April in United States, but only become available more than half a year later here. Singapore is prioritized over Malaysia, so they always receive the devices earlier than us.

Well, you get fresher air and nicer views at Langkawi as opposed to the concrete jungle, exhaust fumes and noise pollution over here in KL
Old 12-26-2010, 02:35 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Oh, and Eve -- your new avatar photo of you with Ashanta on your shoulder is adorable!

Yes, yes, I know. I'm off topic. So report me to one of the moderators.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:53 PM
PetFinder Guru

Send a message via AIM to Marcelleve Send a message via Yahoo to Marcelleve Send a message via Skype™ to Marcelleve

Yes, Andy , so true. There are pros & cons in our daily life even to the place we called 'home'. We just make the best out of it. I'm still missing KL but if I'm there in KL, all I miss only Langkawi's sandy beach and breezy fresh air...
Nokia & Acer will be launching their tabs ,so too, can compete with iPad II. Now I can't wait for that version as it is sizzling topic currently, I can't wait my hands are all over it....
What is the hot thing about it anyway? It makes me curious more.
Any ideas, what's the juicy buzz about iPad II?

Quote:
Merry Christmas to you too, Eve!

Well, you see, Apple devices are in hot demand, and they only become available in stages at other countries, starting from those that have a high customer base. Malaysia definitely does not fall into their Tier 1 category... so we always have to wait a few months at least.

And like you see, iPad was launched in April in United States, but only become available more than half a year later here. Singapore is prioritized over Malaysia, so they always receive the devices earlier than us.

Well, you get fresher air and nicer views at Langkawi as opposed to the concrete jungle, exhaust fumes and noise pollution over here in KL
Old 12-26-2010, 03:03 PM
PetFinder Guru

LOL!!! Sometimes, I'm off too.

Thank you very much and Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you, Amanda.
What are you getting next year? Tabs? New gizmos? I'm thinking either Galaxy Tab .. not so sure yet. I love reading books near the beach or just outside the balcony while Ashanta is in frantic seeing wild birds getting closer to her.
But iPad is quite bulky and heavy for my lady fingers . I think it is best suited for men.
I don't know iPad II looks like yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Oh, and Eve -- your new avatar photo of you with Ashanta on your shoulder is adorable!

Yes, yes, I know. I'm off topic. So report me to one of the moderators.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:16 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcelleve View Post
What are you getting next year? Tabs? New gizmos? I'm thinking either Galaxy Tab .. not so sure yet. I love reading books near the beach or just outside the balcony while Ashanta is in frantic seeing wild birds getting closer to her.
But iPad is quite bulky and heavy for my lady fingers . I think it is best suited for men.
I looked at a friend's iPad. As she showed me its features, I found myself saying, "Hmmm, that's cool. That's cool. That's cool."

I got home later and thought to myself, yes, it's very cool, but I have no idea what on earth I'd use it for. You mention that it's bulky -- I would add that the wallet is much less bulky after buying it.

I read A LOT. As I mentioned, I can see some selling points to e-book readers. At RM1000-1200, though, I'm not willing to buy one just to see if I like using it. What about you? Do you like reading on the electronic devices? :-)
Old 12-26-2010, 03:46 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Hi Amanda,

I've posted a review of the Kindle & ebook reader at this new thread:
http://forums.petfinder.my/showthread.php?t=5180

Hope it helps and let me know if you need more info!
Old 12-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Hi Marcel,

I think what makes it "hot" is largely Apple (or more specifically, Steve Jobs') ability to hype things out of proportion and the more secretive he makes things appear, the more enthusiastic people are in speculating and spreading rumours.

Other brands would adopt the sit-and-wait approach, to see what and how apple does it, then follow closely behind to reap the benefits of a new market.

I think most importantly you test out the device and make sure it meets your needs and like the feel of it. Sometimes a touch is worth a thousand words
Old 12-27-2010, 02:34 AM
PetFinder Guru

Hi Andy,

I agree.

Quote:
Hi Marcel,

I think what makes it "hot" is largely Apple (or more specifically, Steve Jobs') ability to hype things out of proportion and the more secretive he makes things appear, the more enthusiastic people are in speculating and spreading rumours.

Other brands would adopt the sit-and-wait approach, to see what and how apple does it, then follow closely behind to reap the benefits of a new market.

I think most importantly you test out the device and make sure it meets your needs and like the feel of it. Sometimes a touch is worth a thousand words
Old 12-27-2010, 02:49 AM
PetFinder Guru

Smile Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab vs. the iPad: Compare For Yourself

Hi Amanda,
Getting Kindle won't hurt a penny. I got loads of book that I had to send away except my mom's Hardy Boys & Nancy Drew...those are priceless collections. Well,as Andy mentioned, glaring in iPad is really tiring.
I might be getting e-book reader instead, Kindle is worth to try.
I have a book right now that is very heavy but can't keep my eyes off of it.
At least I won't throw my RM's to those pricey non-fiction books then end up having all my books stack up in boxes ready to give away again.
I have to get e-book reader.Save some space and trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
I looked at a friend's iPad. As she showed me its features, I found myself saying, "Hmmm, that's cool. That's cool. That's cool."

I got home later and thought to myself, yes, it's very cool, but I have no idea what on earth I'd use it for. You mention that it's bulky -- I would add that the wallet is much less bulky after buying it.

I read A LOT. As I mentioned, I can see some selling points to e-book readers. At RM1000-1200, though, I'm not willing to buy one just to see if I like using it. What about you? Do you like reading on the electronic devices? :-)
Old 12-28-2010, 08:03 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation

Raja Petra said on Twitter, Samsung Galaxy in UK is RM2000 versus RN2,300 in Thailand and RM2,700 in Malaysia according to Amarjit Sidhu my lawyer.
added some
Maxis Packages http://www.maxis.com.my/personal/tab...s_Packages.asp

Digi Packages
http://www.digi.com.my/internet/smar...galaxytab.html

Celcom Packages Unknow

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.

Last edited by dog is my buddy; 12-28-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:16 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

I just tested out a Samsung Galaxy Tab yesterday.. and here's my opinion of it:

1) It's a really, really close imitation of iPad.. The icons, look and feel, slide to unlock and various user interface components are like a straight copy from iPad without much innovation. Even the address book, ebook reader, etc apps are so similar. I'm surprised they followed so closely.

2) It's easier and lighter to carry around, with a 7" screen. In fact, carrying it around is not unlike carrying a Kindle.

3) It wins iPad by having a phone and camera. But in my opinion, the phone feature is not important - I for one definitely would not be carrying around a 7" phone haha.. and if that becomes your main phone, it'll definitely be a hassle to carry it wherever you go, and easy to lose it as you have to always put it on the table.

4) It is definitely more extendable than iPad by having USB connection and supports SD card. iPad is like a blackbox, and you cannot extend its storage space or easily transfer data into it.

5) In terms of gaming and apps, iPad wins hands down, with over 350,000 apps and games to choose from. Android market is fast improving, but the variety of quality apps is still quite lacking behind.

6) Samsung Galaxy's Android Froyo 2.2 operating system and UI is more configurable than iPad's. That's really something Apple should learn - openness and configurability.

7) Watching videos and playing games don't give me as good a feel as the iPad, which has a much larger and nicer screen.

8) It was sold at a price of RM2600+, which I think is quite overpriced. You can get an iPad 16Gb for RM1600+ or 32Gb for RM1800+.

Here's my summary in short:

1) A hybrid phone-tablet device like Samsung Galaxy doesn't seem effective and convenient to me. It's too bulky for a phone, and too small for a tablet.

2) If you want a gaming or media consumption device, get an iPad. If you want to make calls, get a good phone - iPhone, HTC or any others, that can fit into your pocket!
Old 12-29-2010, 09:33 PM
PetFinder Guru

Hi Andy,
Thank you for sharing the info.
Now, I have to focus on Kindle or any e-book reader out there.

It is true about 7" for a phone (LOL)... Nah too bulky for a phone and for a tab is not suitable if you can't enjoy the application on the screen, why having it in the 1st place? You are right. It is not convenient for a 'tab'.

Thanks again for 'free' marketing.

Best Regards,
Eve

Quote:
I just tested out a Samsung Galaxy Tab yesterday.. and here's my opinion of it:

1) It's a really, really close imitation of iPad.. The icons, look and feel, slide to unlock and various user interface components are like a straight copy from iPad without much innovation. Even the address book, ebook reader, etc apps are so similar. I'm surprised they followed so closely.

2) It's easier and lighter to carry around, with a 7" screen. In fact, carrying it around is not unlike carrying a Kindle.

3) It wins iPad by having a phone and camera. But in my opinion, the phone feature is not important - I for one definitely would not be carrying around a 7" phone haha.. and if that becomes your main phone, it'll definitely be a hassle to carry it wherever you go, and easy to lose it as you have to always put it on the table.

4) It is definitely more extendable than iPad by having USB connection and supports SD card. iPad is like a blackbox, and you cannot extend its storage space or easily transfer data into it.

5) In terms of gaming and apps, iPad wins hands down, with over 350,000 apps and games to choose from. Android market is fast improving, but the variety of quality apps is still quite lacking behind.

6) Samsung Galaxy's Android Froyo 2.2 operating system and UI is more configurable than iPad's. That's really something Apple should learn - openness and configurability.

7) Watching videos and playing games don't give me as good a feel as the iPad, which has a much larger and nicer screen.

8) It was sold at a price of RM2600+, which I think is quite overpriced. You can get an iPad 16Gb for RM1600+ or 32Gb for RM1800+.

Here's my summary in short:

1) A hybrid phone-tablet device like Samsung Galaxy doesn't seem effective and convenient to me. It's too bulky for a phone, and too small for a tablet.

2) If you want a gaming or media consumption device, get an iPad. If you want to make calls, get a good phone - iPhone, HTC or any others, that can fit into your pocket!
Old 12-29-2010, 09:52 PM
PetFinder Moderator

Good review ANdy. I still cannot find the demo sample at Penang

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:06 PM
PetFinder Moderator

it'll definitely be a hassle to carry it wherever you go, and easy to lose it as you have to always put it on the table. Isnt look like photo!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Forget to take Samsung Galaxy.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	10499  

Old 12-29-2010, 11:11 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcelleve View Post
Hi Andy,
Thank you for sharing the info.
Now, I have to focus on Kindle or any e-book reader out there.
No problem, Eve! Do share with us your feedback once you've tested out the e-readers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog is my buddy View Post
it'll definitely be a hassle to carry it wherever you go, and easy to lose it as you have to always put it on the table. Isnt look like photo!
Hahaha... Clement, this photo very accurately illustrates the expression people would have if they lost their Galaxy.. I like the funny face!
Old 12-30-2010, 04:12 AM
PetFinder Guru

Oh absolutely and an additional sales promoter in PF besides you, Andy, with no extra income or even extra kaching-kaching from iPad & Kindle etc..LOL

Quote:
No problem, Eve! Do share with us your feedback once you've tested out the e-readers!

Hahaha... Clement, this photo very accurately illustrates the expression people would have if they lost their Galaxy.. I like the funny face!