Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies

Dogs & Puppies General information and discussions on taking care of your canine buddy

Old 12-01-2010, 09:44 AM
Animal Lover

phikli is on a distinguished road
Default Does your male dog still roam & want to hump after neutered?

Hi,

Just wanna ask if a dog will still roam and try to find a female in heat after being neutered?

Is there also a clinic that provides free neutering here in KL/PJ?
Old 12-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Does your male dog still roam & want to hump after neutered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phikli View Post

Just wanna ask if a dog will still roam and try to find a female in heat after being neutered?

Is there also a clinic that provides free neutering here in KL/PJ?
Hi, Phikli --

In answer to your first question, neutered male dogs will no longer be driven by their hormones to go out roaming in search of females in heat. This doesn't mean, of course, that your dog will suddenly understand the boundaries of your property and never leave it. Dogs are social creatures, and they leave their owners' properties for a number of reasons -- maybe just to play with other dogs nearby, or because someone has just walked past the gate with some food that smells delicious, or because a lightning storm has frightened them. In short, a neutered male is less likely to roam, but we must still be responsible owners and not allow our dogs to roam around freely, right?

Likewise, a neutered male dog will be less likely to hump, but there's no guarantee that he will stop. Some dogs hump other dogs (or people's legs) not from sexual drive but to show dominance. Even dominant female dogs will do this. Chances are good, though, that your neutered male will stop this behaviour.

There are many, many good reasons to neuter your dog. Some of them are here:
http://www.petfinder.my/library/12_W...uter_Your_Pet/

Finally, you asked if there are any free clinics in the KL area. Not that I know of. Klinik Kembiri offers what is probably the best price in town, at RM60 to neuter a male dog. You can find out more about Klinik Kembiri here: http://www.spca.org.my/neuter.htm

Petfinder members Felix the Cat and Prinz38i have been working with the good folks at Klinik Kembiri to arrange a programme to offer even lower prices to PF members who want to spay and neuter stray animals, and perhaps a separate programme for pets. Contact them for more info. Good luck!

Last edited by Maneki Neko; 12-01-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Likewise, a neutered male dog will be less likely to hump, but there's no guarantee that he will stop. Some dogs hump other dogs (or people's legs) not from sexual drive but to show dominance. Even dominant female dogs will do this.
Simon's Stripey humped my leg when I was standing up, and humped my back when I was sitting on the floor.

And we've seen a female dog humping another female dog! Simon thinks she's a lesbian. Anyway, the vet found that she's on heat, and she's now at the clinic, being spayed. :)
Old 12-10-2010, 05:55 AM
PetFinder Guru

acsyen is on a distinguished road

To answer your query directly, if they are neutered at an older age they might still have the urge to look for a female on heat. I have come across cases of neutered males still mating with a female but of cos the female won't get pregnant.

No, there are no clinics that provides free neutering. Klinik Kembiri does it at a reduced cost as there is sponsorship from SPCA but subjected to local dogs and cats only. IF you are owning a pedigree it will be the normal rate as charged by other vets. Someone still has to pay for the salary of the vets and workers and surgery materials so there is no free lunch.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by acsyen View Post
To answer your query directly, if they are neutered at an older age they might still have the urge to look for a female on heat. I have come across cases of neutered males still mating with a female but of cos the female won't get pregnant.

No, there are no clinics that provides free neutering. Klinik Kembiri does it at a reduced cost as there is sponsorship from SPCA but subjected to local dogs and cats only. IF you are owning a pedigree it will be the normal rate as charged by other vets. Someone still has to pay for the salary of the vets and workers and surgery materials so there is no free lunch.
Sorry for the stupid question then.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:58 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post
Simon's Stripey humped my leg when I was standing up, and humped my back when I was sitting on the floor.

And we've seen a female dog humping another female dog! Simon thinks she's a lesbian. Anyway, the vet found that she's on heat, and she's now at the clinic, being spayed. :)
Sorry, not sure I know who Simon is.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:09 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Does your male dog still roam & want to hump after neutered?

Quote:
Hi, Phikli --

No, I don't think it's a stupid question at all. It just does not have a simple answer!

As both acsyen and I mentioned, the age at which you neuter the dog is a big factor. You will often read that neutering will stop dogs from humping and roaming, but with older dogs, they may still exhibit these behaviours, although maybe to a lesser extent.

The most important aspect of neutering: better for health, and no more puppies. Since overpopulation results in 5 million+ animals being euthanised in Malaysia every year, neutering is essential.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:59 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Hi, Phikli --

In answer to your first question, neutered male dogs will no longer be driven by their hormones to go out roaming in search of females in heat. This doesn't mean, of course, that your dog will suddenly understand the boundaries of your property and never leave it. Dogs are social creatures, and they leave their owners' properties for a number of reasons -- maybe just to play with other dogs nearby, or because someone has just walked past the gate with some food that smells delicious, or because a lightning storm has frightened them. In short, a neutered male is less likely to roam, but we must still be responsible owners and not allow our dogs to roam around freely, right?

Likewise, a neutered male dog will be less likely to hump, but there's no guarantee that he will stop. Some dogs hump other dogs (or people's legs) not from sexual drive but to show dominance. Even dominant female dogs will do this. Chances are good, though, that your neutered male will stop this behaviour.

There are many, many good reasons to neuter your dog. Some of them are here:
http://www.petfinder.my/library/12_W...uter_Your_Pet/

Finally, you asked if there are any free clinics in the KL area. Not that I know of. Klinik Kembiri offers what is probably the best price in town, at RM60 to neuter a male dog. You can find out more about Klinik Kembiri here: http://www.spca.org.my/neuter.htm

Petfinder members Felix the Cat and Prinz38i have been working with the good folks at Klinik Kembiri to arrange a programme to offer even lower prices to PF members who want to spay and neuter stray animals, and perhaps a separate programme for pets. Contact them for more info. Good luck!

Thanks I appreciate your humble opinions.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:16 AM
PetFinder Guru

acsyen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No it is not a stupid question. This just shows you at least did some research and is concerned about your dog's future.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:29 PM
Animal Lover

littlelit is on a distinguished road

My two dogs were nutered at the recommended age....they do hump a bit and roam alot if we happen to accidently leave the gate unlatch ( one of them can open gate by himself). So the answer would be "yes" so have to make sure the home is secure and latched all the time just incase your doggie learnt how to let himself out.

Have fun with your dog.. :o)