Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your dog's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 08-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Animal Lover

molly is on a distinguished road
Default Distemper

Hi,

I would like to share with everyone that my puppy who was about 2.5 months who had distemper was saved by a Dr Agas, Urban Paw, Bandar Puteri Puchong.

Actually I had lost few rescued puppies due to distemper recently. Most of the Vet was not very confidence to save the young puppies, even Dr Agas. But Dr Agas try things with confidence & adviced me that beside medicine & technology, the love and caring also important to save them.

Beside distemper, many other critical problem with puppies had been treated by Dr Agas. I am not promoting him but just sharing my happiness & experience with others.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:00 PM
CEO, EzerNET

Ezer has disabled reputation
Default Re: Distemper

Molly,

You have the same name as my mom!! haha..

Anyways, distemper is a killer of dogs... That's why it's imperative that you vaccinate them every year.... I used to lose my dogs to distemper as well until I learned that you need to vaccinate them... after which, there were no more problems or issues.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Animal Lover

Fang01 is on a distinguished road

Being an owner who have lost dogs to distemper, i am glad that yours have survived. Please keep in mind that distemper is a long term disease and it can haunt you for many years to come. YOur vet, I am sure would be thanking his lucky stars since your dog got over the acute phase. In many situations, the survival of the dog/puppy depends a lot on their immune system's ability to defend itself. When i go to the vet for distemper (the dog not me), the vet asked me to take them home with medication for fear of the other dogs in the clinic gettng the disease. I don blame the vet but in some places have isolation spaces so they may be able to help more. My point is that your dogs survival may be largely due to good luck and good supportive care. I am sure most sane vets in their right mind would thank lady luck rather then claim they were able to cure distemper. I am not tring to make light of dr agas contribution but just pointing out what my vet told me. I have seen dr agos some years ago before i moved, he n Dr ding works very hard.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:44 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation

Distemper is caused by an airborne virus and is a potentially fatal disease. But today's vaccines have made it easy to combat. It is no highly contagious.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Animal Lover

molly is on a distinguished road

yeap vaccination can prevent the dogs but rescued young puppies (below 2 months) are not encouraged to vaccinate.

Therefore, a lot of things could happen to them during the period. This is first time i lost puppies due to distemper.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:44 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation

Molly,
Sorry to hear your lost. All rescuad dog need bring to vet for checking first and vaccination before take it home. It's safe for puppy and also dogs at home too.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.

Last edited by dog is my buddy; 08-05-2008 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:21 PM
PetFinder Guru

daphne1985 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to daphne1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
Hi,

I would like to share with everyone that my puppy who was about 2.5 months who had distemper was saved by a Dr Agas, Urban Paw, Bandar Puteri Puchong.

Actually I had lost few rescued puppies due to distemper recently. Most of the Vet was not very confidence to save the young puppies, even Dr Agas. But Dr Agas try things with confidence & adviced me that beside medicine & technology, the love and caring also important to save them.

Beside distemper, many other critical problem with puppies had been treated by Dr Agas. I am not promoting him but just sharing my happiness & experience with others.
Congratulation to your love puppy that was save by Dr Agas.. Thank for sharing the vet info with us, I will write it down the vet name under my note and also Dr Agas name..Thanks again for sharing your happiness..

My puppy was die due to parvovirus..
Old 04-11-2009, 10:17 AM
PetFinder Buddy

monkee94 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to monkee94

What's distemper? I've heard of it before but dont really know the full extent of this disease...
Old 04-11-2009, 01:13 PM
PetFinder Guru

mrsdolittle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkee94 View Post
What's distemper? I've heard of it before but dont really know the full extent of this disease...
Dear Monkee,

Hope this would help you and the rest...

What is Canine Distemper?

Canine Distemper is a highly contagious, viral disease which is often fatal. It affects the gastrointestinal, respiratory and central nervous systems. Canine distemper infects dogs but can be found in other animals:

Canidae: Wolf, coyote, fox, domestic dog
Procyonidae: Raccoon
Mustelidae: Ferret, mink, weasel, martin, fisher, otter, badger, skunk, wolverine

What are the symptoms of Canine Distemper

The many signs of distemper are not always typical. Symptoms may include

Fever 39C to 41C (103F to 106F)
Loss of appetite,
Depression,
Cough,
Nasal discharge,
Vomiting
Diarrhea
Eye inflammation
Pneumonia

Neurological Symptoms include

Seizures
Muscle twitching
Deterioration of mental abilities
Loss of motor skills
Complete or partial paralysis
Increased sensitivity to sensory stimuli, such as pain or touch (Hyperesthesia)

A fever is often the initial symptom but may go unnoticed. Symptoms become more serious and noticeable as the disease progresses. The symptoms become exacerbated by secondary bacterial infections.

Complications involving the eyes can also occur. Some complications of the eye can be serious enough to damage the optic nerve and cause the dog to go blind.

Encephalomyelitis is a complication that can develop. It is an inflammation of the brain and spinal cord.

Dogs who have recovered can also suffer chronic symptoms such as hardening of the foot and nose pads. Erosion of the teeth can occur if a puppy contracts the disease before its second teeth have erupted. (The virus kills the cells that make tooth enamel) It is possible to re-enamel the teeth.

Canine Distemper is a very serious, potentially fatal disease.
If your dog has any of the above symptoms take it to the vet immediately.

How is Canine Distemper contracted?

It is contracted primarily through airborne viral particles that the dog breathes in. Infected dogs shed the virus through bodily secretions such as respiratory secretions, and urine and feces excretions. Dogs contract the virus by direct contact with urine, feces, or secretions from infected dogs. Also contact with kennels, bedding, toys, or other objects that may also hold the virus. During the recovery period (which can last several weeks) dogs can still shed the virus even if all symptoms have disappeared. Once fully recovered previously infected dogs no longer shed the virus.

What is the treatment for canine Distemper?

At this time, there is no cure for the actual virus which causes canine Distemper. Treatment is supportive. That means that your vet will treat the symptoms as they occur. For example the dog may need an intravenous drip if it is dehydrated, or anticonvulsants if it is having seizures. The dog is kept as comfortable as possible with constant nursing in a warm dry draft free area.

...THE DAY I KNOW THE MEANING OF TRUE LOVE, LOYALTY, TRUST AND FRIENDSHIP...
...TIGER IN MEMORY...
Old 04-11-2009, 01:17 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Yikes..if it is contracted through airborne particles..then if we bring our pets to the vet wouldnt the have a chance of getting distemper?possibly parvo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdolittle View Post
Dear Monkee,

Hope this would help you and the rest...

What is Canine Distemper?

Canine Distemper is a highly contagious, viral disease which is often fatal. It affects the gastrointestinal, respiratory and central nervous systems. Canine distemper infects dogs but can be found in other animals:

Canidae: Wolf, coyote, fox, domestic dog
Procyonidae: Raccoon
Mustelidae: Ferret, mink, weasel, martin, fisher, otter, badger, skunk, wolverine

What are the symptoms of Canine Distemper

The many signs of distemper are not always typical. Symptoms may include

Fever 39C to 41C (103F to 106F)
Loss of appetite,
Depression,
Cough,
Nasal discharge,
Vomiting
Diarrhea
Eye inflammation
Pneumonia

Neurological Symptoms include

Seizures
Muscle twitching
Deterioration of mental abilities
Loss of motor skills
Complete or partial paralysis
Increased sensitivity to sensory stimuli, such as pain or touch (Hyperesthesia)

A fever is often the initial symptom but may go unnoticed. Symptoms become more serious and noticeable as the disease progresses. The symptoms become exacerbated by secondary bacterial infections.

Complications involving the eyes can also occur. Some complications of the eye can be serious enough to damage the optic nerve and cause the dog to go blind.

Encephalomyelitis is a complication that can develop. It is an inflammation of the brain and spinal cord.

Dogs who have recovered can also suffer chronic symptoms such as hardening of the foot and nose pads. Erosion of the teeth can occur if a puppy contracts the disease before its second teeth have erupted. (The virus kills the cells that make tooth enamel) It is possible to re-enamel the teeth.

Canine Distemper is a very serious, potentially fatal disease.
If your dog has any of the above symptoms take it to the vet immediately.

How is Canine Distemper contracted?

It is contracted primarily through airborne viral particles that the dog breathes in. Infected dogs shed the virus through bodily secretions such as respiratory secretions, and urine and feces excretions. Dogs contract the virus by direct contact with urine, feces, or secretions from infected dogs. Also contact with kennels, bedding, toys, or other objects that may also hold the virus. During the recovery period (which can last several weeks) dogs can still shed the virus even if all symptoms have disappeared. Once fully recovered previously infected dogs no longer shed the virus.

What is the treatment for canine Distemper?

At this time, there is no cure for the actual virus which causes canine Distemper. Treatment is supportive. That means that your vet will treat the symptoms as they occur. For example the dog may need an intravenous drip if it is dehydrated, or anticonvulsants if it is having seizures. The dog is kept as comfortable as possible with constant nursing in a warm dry draft free area.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:35 PM
PetFinder Guru

mrsdolittle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkee94 View Post
Yikes..if it is contracted through airborne particles..then if we bring our pets to the vet wouldnt the have a chance of getting distemper?possibly parvo?
Yes! Dear...

In most cases, the vets wouldn't want to take in any dogs with distemper, if they do, EUTHANASIA will be the answer...

The only place i know which would actually treat this cases would be,

THE HEALING ROOMS
Lot No. 29 Grd. Floor & 1st Floor
Wisma Dicor Jln SS17/1A
47500 Subang Jaya

It can be cured.

...THE DAY I KNOW THE MEANING OF TRUE LOVE, LOYALTY, TRUST AND FRIENDSHIP...
...TIGER IN MEMORY...
Old 04-11-2009, 02:12 PM
PetFinder Buddy

*gasp*thats just so heartless..vets should implement isolation rooms for dogs and cats with transferable disease..they should also bleach down their examination tables after each examination..I read that bleach can kill parvo virus effectively..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdolittle View Post
Yes! Dear...

In most cases, the vets wouldn't want to take in any dogs with distemper, if they do, EUTHANASIA will be the answer...

The only place i know which would actually treat this cases would be,

THE HEALING ROOMS
Lot No. 29 Grd. Floor & 1st Floor
Wisma Dicor Jln SS17/1A
47500 Subang Jaya

It can be cured.