Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your dog's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 08-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Super Hyper Animal Lover

pinkpuppy is on a distinguished road
Smile Blackwood puppy-Good or bad?

I have been feeding Blackwood puppy on my 11 weeks old toy poodle as I found it quite good for my previous dog. But now after searching for some reviews on the Internet, it seems that it has quite many negative reviews, stating that it contains filler and unknown chemicals in the making. So, I wonder if anyone had tried this (both Blackwood puppy and adult food) or not as I am thinking of changing it to Acana, Addiction, Artemis, Natural Balanca, etc. which costs around the same but is of higher quality (according to reviews and ratings). Any suggestion on if I should change its puppy food right away (to maintain his health/coat quality) or wait until he is grown up, or change after he finishes this packet (1.5kg+-)? Or stay on on Blackwood?
Old 08-02-2011, 09:46 AM
Animal Lover

feltan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Blackwood puppy-Good or bad?

I used to feed my puppy with Blackwood puppy food as recommended by the breeder.
I have not much of experience about dog food at that time because it was my first time having a puppy. But one thing for sure, the poop is very smelly and my puppy did not like the food very much. I switched to many brands before starting with Orijen as recommended by my friend. She likes it but is a bit expenses.
I feed her with Orijen for 6 months and now I found Evo which is similar to Orijen which both are grain free dog food. Evo is much more cheaper compared with Orijen. Further more, the poop is less smelly and solid. The coat is showing better improvement since taking Evo. I am happy with it
I also feed my Golden with raw chicken mince with fruit and vegetable which I brought from local producer. She like raw food a lot. However, it is really expensive that is why she only get it alternative days.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:04 AM
PetFinder Guru

Marcelleve is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Marcelleve Send a message via Yahoo to Marcelleve Send a message via Skype™ to Marcelleve
Default Re: Blackwood puppy-Good or bad?

Hi,

Just a suggestion....

If your puppy is not good for Orijen, go for Acana, less protein content. It is same company.
I had a dog and she can't bear too much protein from Orijen and Evo but when we switch to Acana she is ok with it and her coat is still shiny - same results you will be getting from Orijen and Evo but depends on how your puppy's tolerance and tastes.
EVO for canine is quite gassy for our dogs and maybe u can read some reviews in the net besides my mom complaint about her dogs' gassy situation.
We have dogs who farted but 'ok' with Orijen. So some of them were fed on Orijen and some on Acana. They have trial packs about 2 kg.
BARF is way better.... as Feltan did.
Start from young - healthy pets always start early.
Same like human, younger ones are more prone to sickness. They need all the nutrients they can get to help their immune system and other body developments while they're growing up.

Thanks and regards,
Eve

Last edited by Marcelleve; 08-03-2011 at 04:17 AM.