Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > PetFinder Lounge > Coffee Room

Coffee Room Gossip on the latest topics or just mingle around and enjoy the atmosphere!

Old 01-10-2011, 01:55 AM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation
Default Irish tourist dies after being attacked by two dogs at Penang

GEORGE TOWN: An Irish tourist died after he was attacked by two dogs at an organic farm in Teluk Bahang, about 25km from here.

Both the ears of Sullivan Maurice, 50, were severed and his chin almost torn off in the attack at about 10am Sunday. He also had multiple injuries and bites on his body. He died on the spot.

It is learnt that Maurice had earlier gone to the farm with his 28-year-old Polish girfriend to take pictures of durian trees being planted.

He had gotten to know the farm owner less than 24 hours earlier.

The farm owner’s wife said the couple had also gone to the farm on Saturday during which they had played with both dogs.

She was surprised why the canines had attacked Maurice who was on his own at the time of the incident. The dogs were not tied up at that time.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:58 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Irish tourist dies after being attacked by two dogs at Penang

Hi, Clement --

Yes, this story is so terrible...

On one hand, I was pleased to read in The Star yesterday that Penang animal welfare groups have spoken up to ask that the dogs not be euthanised, claiming that they can be rehabilitated.

On the other hand, rehabilitating aggressive dogs takes experience and knowledge. If a rescuer does in fact get a chance to try and save these dogs, I pray that he or she has that experience and knowledge. I'm not in favor of automatically euthanising them, but it does worry me that they attacked so savagely. This wasn't defensive behaviour. What do you think? Do you think there are dog rescuers in Penang who are up to the job?

Either way, I pray for both the dogs and the loved ones of the Irish man who died.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:50 PM
Animal Lover

Rocky is on a distinguished road

So sad to hear the bad news. From the picture the dog that attacked Sullivan is not a normal mongrel it a crossbreed. That is the danger in cross breeding coz we never know their real temperament.
IMO.. Why the dog attached Sullivan even though he has play with them the day before. I assume that when he play with the dogs on Saturday the owner is around and the dog doesn’t feel threaten that Sullivan is there to do anything harm. But on Sunday when he is left alone taking pictures he might have moved some items at the organic farm example…flower pot to take pictures at that instance the dogs feel threaten than Sullivan is taking things which belong to his master. It the nature instinct of the dog to protect his property. The dog won’t have attack straight away it will give a warning by barking. There might be some kind of body action Sullivan has done or eyes contacts which provoke the dog to attacked. It the nature instinct for dog to attack and bite without any form of training. Even normal household dog will bite in the absent of his owner. The multiple injuries causes were due to crossbreeding and powerful jaw. Danger of crossbreeding is we never know the real temperament, it a genetic change of the animals.
So sad that an innocent life has been taken away.
Pray that Sullivan rest in peace.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:16 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation

dog wagging tail to humen, no mean it is friendly dog. Always remember those dog no belong to us, always need caution. dog attack to humen always have few reason, they step in to Territoriality and possessions, also dog can read the humen body language like scare and fear.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Animal Lover

Rocky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog is my buddy View Post
dog wagging tail to humen, no mean it is friendly dog. Always remember those dog no belong to us, always need caution. dog attack to humen always have few reason, they step in to Territoriality and possessions, also dog can read the humen body language like scare and fear.
Fully agreeeeeeeeeeeee..............d