Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies

Dogs & Puppies General information and discussions on taking care of your canine buddy

Old 01-16-2013, 12:14 PM
Animal Lover

jamunah is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Help me please.. My golden..

my golden is 4 years old.. she is on heat now.. i want to mate her and she never mate before.. yesterday i went walking with my other dogs and met my friend with her dog in field. When her male dog wanted to smell my golden, my golden behaved very aggressively toward him.. My heart broken when i saw that.. how am i suppose to mate my golden who had such temper? im worried about it and i really want to mate her.. can i mate her or shouldn't i? is it normal..? please help me..

Last edited by Maneki Neko; 01-16-2013 at 04:55 PM. Reason: forum guideline violation
Old 01-16-2013, 05:03 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help me please.. My golden..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamunah View Post
my golden is 4 years old.. she is on heat now.. i want to mate her and she never mate before.. yesterday i went walking with my other dogs and met my friend with her dog in field. When her male dog wanted to smell my golden, my golden behaved very aggressively toward him.. My heart broken when i saw that.. how am i suppose to mate my golden who had such temper? im worried about it and i really want to mate her.. can i mate her or shouldn't i? is it normal..? please help me..
Hi, Jamunah -- First, I would recommend doing some reading about breeding your dog. It's not quite as simple as throwing a dog and a bitch together and hoping for puppies. As you noted, your bitch, although in heat, does not appear receptive. Second, golden retrievers are one of the breeds that are sadly prone to hip dysplasia. Before considering breeding her, you should have her screened for this genetic disorder, and the dog with whom you hope to mate her should be screened as well, so they don't pass this crippling problem on to a litter of pups. A vet can tell by looking at an x-ray whether or not your girl has it, and frankly, you should have the vet give her a thorough physical exam before you even think about breeding her.

Also, please ask yourself why you want to do this. Do you have homes lined up for the pups? Do you have confidence that you will find suitable homes for them? If not, please don't breed. There are already thousands of homeless dogs in Malaysia, mixed-breed as well as countless pedigreed dogs, all either living miserably as strays and all too often being euthanised in shelters.

Finally, please remember that the Petfinder forum rules prohibit either seeking or selling stud services. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2013, 06:07 PM
Animal Lover

JoePrince is on a distinguished road

Good advice by Maneki. Take heart if your golden acts the way she does. I had a Spitz that was very very selective about her mate and the end results was beautiful puppies.

She would reject other dogs and go for the Alpha dog.

But get your golden check-up by a vet first.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:39 PM
Animal Lover

jamunah is on a distinguished road

well selling dogs are not my type since all my dogs are adopted.
i just love my golden to bit..
and about ur word on health well i will make sure that since im very particular about their health.. im just worried cause all this while she was normal and now when she is on heat she is acting in weird way..
n thank for your advice.. :)
Old 08-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Animal Lover

Rambo's Mum is on a distinguished road

Although this thread was posted in January and also I'm a newcomer but I simply has to reply.

DO NOT BREED YOUR DOG unless you are very sure it will end up with good homes who truly loves dogs especially Goldens!

Goldens are really people dogs. They love attentions! They love to be around people and crave attentions and approvals just like Labradors.

Often time potential owner thinks that it's simple to have a dog. Yes! Buying a dog is simple. Owning a dog is easy BUT taking care of a dog is an uphill task.

I'll share my experience with you about owning a Golden or a dog.

I've a beautiful (yeah, ok I'm tooting my own horn) 22 months old neutered golden boy. He is the apple of my eye (seriously I love him to death).

I brought him home when he was two months old. The third month he contracted Canine Distemper and almost died. He was puking and shitting blood I really thought he was a goner. Ok, it was my fault he contracted CD. I took him to all the dog shops just to show off. I supposed he got stress out and it so happened there was a sick dog in one of the dog shop hence he contracted it and him being a puppy obviously he has low immune system to defend against the disease. Phew luckily he pulled through but that's not the end of the trouble for my little boy.

He got well alright but his immune system went south and he constantly develop hotspots and whatsnot. So, I changed his diet from kibbles to raw. You would think he would be fine after the change? Nope, he couldn't tolerate chicken/duck/beef/bison meat/mutton/salmon/cod! These are the easiest and cheaper available meat in the market yet he has to be allergic to them. The only meat he could tolerate is turkey! So, I went hunting for raw turkey to feed him never mind the price. After the change still he is not doing that fantastic. Before the change of his diet we were like at the vet almost every other week well at least after the change to turkey we still visit the vet but it's now like monthly basis! He visit the vet more than I visit a human doc! His monthly food and medical bill eats into a chunk of my salary. Still I persist with him. What can I do? I love him so much that the thought of anything bad happen to him will cause me to tear up.

Almost every day I'll be scouring the internet looking for solutions to help him with his skin allergies. I've also spent loads of money buying supplement for him; pre and probiotics, vitamins and minerals. Well, that helps to minimise his skin problems but definitely not a solution.

So, if you are planning to have a golden do think twice, triple heck even quadruple! Goldens love, love, love attentions and affections. My little boy would seek me out an hour later after his meals just to play with him. I would be sitting at the computer or reading newspaper and he would trot up to me, push at my hands, nose me so I could pay him attention and rub him. I thought if I got him a companion he would be happy off. So, I got a lab girl for him (yeah, I spayed her) to play with him. Hah! He still want my attention and affection. I got them toys to play with and thought he would leave me alone. Nope, he ditched the toy and the lab girl then when to sulk.

Many times owners think that 'oh, as long I provide food and shelter that would be sufficient.' Well, I hate to burst your bubble that it don't. Goldens need affection and lots of it. They will go into depressions if you neglect them in the affection department.

Yeah, golden shed a lot even on normal days. So, if you are not prepared to pick up those tumbleweeds of its' hair don't bother owning one. I've seen too many Goldens in my housing estate being neglected. They were locked out of the house. Day and night chained up at the compound with a water bowl and food bowl. No affections, no loving, no exercises. Yup, Goldens need exercises, ok, all dogs need exercises but those idiotic owners didn't bother to walk them.

Goldens are simply adorable, cute, intelligent and sensitive and if you don't have the time of the day to care for it, please don't get it. Hell, don't get a dog at all if you can't fulfilled the 3 basic needs; Love, Food, Shelter (not in any particular order) If you think you just want a dog to guard your house I suggest you get an alarm!

And don't breed your dog if you can't assured all its' puppies will get a good home! Spay and neutered your dogs! Adopt!