Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your cat's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 09-24-2008, 11:47 AM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Feeding My Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by herher View Post
hi, can i bring at least 2 kittens? i just found them yesterday in a lorong behind a cafe in uptown. they are 5 of them, i went to the vet, will bring them back for check up in a week time.

vet said they can eat dry food but turn out they only fancy canned food
my room(renting outside myself) is not cat-proof, they're all in two boxes (3 & 2), put litter sand inside too. one of them is really really skinny which worried me
hi herher
wow 5 foster kittens in your bedroom is a lot to handle! what you're doing is wonderful and its so great of you to bring them all to the vet. if the little kitties won't eat the dry food, maybe you can try mixing it with a spoonful of the canned food. that's what i did to get my foster kittens to eat the dry food.. i keep putting less and less canned food until they are just eating totally dry food and they don't even realize it.. i think all that canned food must be quite smelly in your room but it sounds like you're coping well. good luck!
Old 09-24-2008, 05:31 PM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pet Adoption Drive - Bangsar Village, Oct 4

hi herher

oh, maybe the kibbles are too hard for the kitten's baby teeth. that happened to me too when i found my kittens. too hard for them to crunch. you can add a bit of water to soften it or like what lynie suggested, add some canned food to the kibbles in gradually lessening amount.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:56 PM
Animal Lover

herher is on a distinguished road

i did add in canned food to the dry food but they're smart... they will leave the rest alone and keep meowing for more canned food..

ya, my room kinda smells due to the canned food and kittens, vet said not to clean them but its ok to wipe them right? well, i did.. they're smell are too strong. hopefully i can bring for a once and for all grooming and from then its much easier to clean them (just found out they have fleas!)

hmm, good idea mayb i should soak them! tq!

wanted to adopt at least one from the listing seen some of u are going for the drive :) will God knows it better i guess and thank goodness they're not aggressive and all. came back from The Pet Family after class, 2 were outside the box but they didnt wonder around or go under the bed, sat beside the box waiting for me to feed them

bought ear mite remedy (bf did some research too ), scoop for poo, repellent for after they get clean up and walk freely in my room, canned food and more canned food ><

one prob tho, they like to turn the water bowl over which wet the box and litter sand!! wanna replace the water for them (they're quite heaty, i wonder why) but it goes again and again. is it ok i only give them water when i feed them and take the water out? and im suppose to feed them 4 times a day right?
Old 09-25-2008, 02:23 PM
Banned

hi herher

1) water bowl - not sure what type of water bowl you bought for them - perhaps it is too high at the sides causing them to climb on it and tip it over? or that the vessel is too light? another way is to put a those shallow aluminium baking tray underneath the water bowl so it the water bowl is tipped over, the water is collected inside the tray

please give fresh water to your kittens. it's advisable even for adult cats. cats are very fastidious animals. they will not drink if the water surface has something on it (i.e. their fur, etc)

2) if you want to mix in canned food, put the amount of kibble you want in a small container (the smaller the better), next spoon in the amount of canned food you want to use onto of the kibble, next using the bottom of your spoon (the convex part), mash down on the canned food until it is properly "lumat" (if it is in chunk type), then mix the kibble and the canned food around and around until both properly mix. you can't just give it a few whisk it won't do. that's the trick i used for my anna - she's so good at going for the fish chunk rather than kibble.

if you're soaking the kibble with water, pls bear in mind that after awhile, the softened kibble will dry up.

3) leaving food out for them, if you can afford to feed them several times a day then by all means do it (i.e. you're at home). if not then it is suggested to provide them free choice (meaning leaving the food out for them the whole day and topping it up when it's low).

4) bathing kitten - actually i'm not sure whether this should be done or how - i only gave my cats their 1st bath just before going for the neutery surgery and sometimes they smelled a bit.

what you can do is wipe them down but make sure you rinse your towel/cloth in warm water (hotter than lukewarm) but remember to do a dip test to check on water temperature. from what i read, a cat can sense temperature only on their nose and their paw pad, they can't really sense increase in temperature that well anyway on their body so pls make sure your bath water is not too hot for them. wiping them down is more advisable as this will help reduce risk of them catching cold.

if you make it a habit of "grooming" them, i.e. giving them freqeuent wipe-down, it may help you to bond with them and familiarise themselves with being handled by human. when "grooming", pls also make it a point to gently check their ears, their gums and teeth, their paw pads, run your hand gently through their furs all over their body, to see if there's any bumps or cuts or odd stuff sticking to them. check if there's any flea faeces leftover on their skin and in their fur - dots of black or dark brown.

maybe they smell because they dirtied when they poo2 and didn't know how to clean themselves up.

5) for the fleas problem, if you're thinking of using a flea solution, and if you have a vet to visit, pls get advise from your vet whether you can use the flea solution on the kitten (seems like can only use them when they're of a certain age and of a certain weight, something like that but can't remember exactly how and what).

6) germisep - a very very useful "tool". it's actually disinfectant in tablet form and it's safe for animals and humans. widely used by those in animal industry including animal hospital, etc (according to the brochure). it's in tablet form, it will dissolve in water, you mix up one tablet with one big bottle of water (like your 1.5l or 2l coke bottle) and from there you can portion out any quantity you want to use and dilute this amount further for your use. it will last a long long time. and it's good for wiping down your room and even your kittens (pls make sure you dilute it even further). you can add the diluted amount to your moping water, spray upon surfaces and let air dry, etc, etc.

the whole bottle of germispe is expensive but i bought it loose - Rm6 for 20 tablets. and it lasts me a long time.

6) please don't use repellent or air freshener - if possible because the chemical in the air freshener may irritate the kitten's nose, i know this is a tall order. can you try to find other alternative? if you need to use air-freshener, and if it's not too expensive, try to use those freshener sold at pet shop meant to be used for animals too.

for myself, i spray diluted germisep into the air around their litter box..the smell will disperse in a while.

if your kittens are consistently having runny poo, pls observe for signs of illnessess.

that's all i can think of to "scare" you for now
Old 09-25-2008, 02:26 PM
Banned

hi andy/ezer

if our posts on herher's kitten is "off tangent" from the original post of adoption drive please help us move it to the appropriate section in petfinder.my

thanks
Old 09-25-2008, 03:09 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

AndyKoh has disabled reputation
Default Re: Feeding My Kittens

Ashley, I've moved this post to a new thread "Feeding My Kittens" in the relevant category as requested.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:47 PM
Banned

Hi andy

thanks. this is great. at least the postings in the adoption drive will stay on that topic and newcomers or readers will won't to wade through different topics under that thread.

thanks
Old 09-26-2008, 01:49 AM
Animal Lover

herher is on a distinguished road

Thanks ashley and lynie! :)

Well just to ask a few more questions,

On the repellent, it's actually to make sure my kittens don't go to areas that i don't want them to. I actually tried spraying and it seems that it has no effect whatsoever on them. What do you use to make sure your cat doesn't go to forbidden areas?

I also discovered that my kittens has ear mites as I used the earmite remedy on them. However, I doubt that I entirely cleared the ear mites from them as I'm not sure how deep I can insert the cotton bud into their ears. I don't wanna hurt them! Please guide me on how to treat them carefully.

On hygiene, since they are stray, they are still quite dirty after a few days of trying to clean them up. You can literally see the difference of fur colour caused by the dirt. I tried wiping them but with room temperature water, still the dirt sticks to their fur. Is there any other method besides wiping them with hot water? I have problems with preparing hot water.. :S

I also have problems with their food portions for one meal. How to know how much is enough for them? A rough measurement (a size of an oreo, a size of a donut.. etc. for one kitten)? I worry that I may feed them too little or too much..

On a good note, I bought royal canin for my kittens and they're happily chewing on them! :D Is there any other recommendations? And where to find Accana and Ojine (Sorry if i got the spelling wrong).

Thanks in advance! God bless!

A note for Ashley, I rather want more information than you scaring me
Old 09-26-2008, 09:44 AM
Banned

hi herher

we're all pleased that you're doing your best to help your kittens even though they may be temporarily staying with you.

i'm afraid i can't advice you on how to clean the ears because i always get my vet to do it for us. let me see if i can remember what my vet said about ear cleaning. the ear has its own mechanism of cleaning up and the ear wax will move out, we don't really need to clean it up that such because the cat will help each other groom itself. if there's a lot of wax buildup until you can really see it, it's a sign of mites or something like that - suspected but a vet can verify this by using an ear equipment to check the ear.

if you want to clean up the ear, try not poking the inner ear with sharp objects and not even dull objects like cotton bud. use cotton bud to clear the outer area gently and moist the cotton bud a bit. just clear out the extra gunk don't dig deep inside. then use the ear mite solution you have. you need to use it consistently.

that's why if possible try to get vet advisable for this mite problem. the solution you buy over the counter at pet shops may not be that effective. mite problem can be persistent. as to whether the mites can hide and survive anywhere else other than on the kitten, i'm afraid i don't know that much. perhaps other forumers here can advise?

aaaah,...your kittens didn't learn from its mommy how to groom themselevs. well, then you need to be their mommy and show them. well, you don't lick them.. but after you wiped them down, you can mime grooming and licking yourself on your hand and using your hand as if a paw, mime the motion of grooming your face and licking your hand.

that's how i communicated with ginger when he came back after dissapearing for 5 months. he was scared out of his mind of human beings but he came home all the same. we managed to cage him and he was so afraid we couldn't approach him to groom him. so we mimed grooming and licking and after he watched us, he groomed himself and looked so much better after that. it's worth a try.

at the back of the food bag, there's always suggested / recommended feeding guidelines by manufacturer. you can try following that if you have something to measure with.

oh btw, if you pass by any pet shop and they sell science hill you can always ask for a measuring cup. they give for each purchase of science hill but you just ask for one , don't have to buy, if they won't give, just say you have bought one last week and you weren't given the cup.

another alternative is to leave the food out for the kittens the whole day, give them lots of food in bowls and just top up when they finish.

as for orijen / acana, may i know where you're residing? at least we can tell you whether the shops we patronise is close enough to you.

i'm humbled that you think i can help you..but i feel more scared that i might tell you the wrong thing
Old 09-26-2008, 11:16 AM
Kucing Garong

Bareen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Bareen Send a message via Yahoo to Bareen Send a message via Skype™ to Bareen

Quote:
I also discovered that my kittens has ear mites as I used the earmite remedy on them. However, I doubt that I entirely cleared the ear mites from them as I'm not sure how deep I can insert the cotton bud into their ears. I don't wanna hurt them! Please guide me on how to treat them carefully.
Cat's ear channel are in "L" shape compare to human that is straight. You dont have to worry about damaging the cat's ear drum as you cant reach it that easy. One you feel you had reach the corner, that is your limit but make sure to use cotton bud made for baby.

On ear mite, have your cat ear clean and you can spray FrontLine to the ear. When bathing, clean the ear using medicated shampoo.

Quote:
On hygiene, since they are stray, they are still quite dirty after a few days of trying to clean them up. You can literally see the difference of fur colour caused by the dirt. I tried wiping them but with room temperature water, still the dirt sticks to their fur. Is there any other method besides wiping them with hot water? I have problems with preparing hot water.. :S
A good shampoo will do the trick. Just get them use to bathing and you stop worry about whether to use hot or cold tap water. When come to bathing, dont spoilt your kitten too much, you may end up hurting yourself when they grow up.

Quote:
I also have problems with their food portions for one meal. How to know how much is enough for them? A rough measurement (a size of an oreo, a size of a donut.. etc. for one kitten)? I worry that I may feed them too little or too much..
For kitten, it best to give them free feed. For a kitten, there's no such thing as too much or too little. When your cat turn adult then you can start worry about what to feed, how much to feed, when to feed. Just keep the bowl filled at all time. Use bowl made of ceramic or steel as it heavier.

Quote:
On a good note, I bought royal canin for my kittens and they're happily chewing on them! :D Is there any other recommendations? And where to find Accana and Ojine (Sorry if i got the spelling wrong).
As stray, a cat digestive system is very different from indoor cat. Go easy on commercial food. If you find your kitten ok with one brand, stay with it. If you need to change, do it gradually by mixing old brand with new brand over a week.

Monitor your kitten's poo poo with the food you feeding them. This will help you manage your kitties litterbox and help you keep smelly odour off your home.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Banned

hi bareen

thanks for sharing on how to clean the ears of cats - are you sure you're not a vet lurking here?
Old 09-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Kucing Garong

Send a message via MSN to Bareen Send a message via Yahoo to Bareen Send a message via Skype™ to Bareen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleywong View Post
hi bareen

thanks for sharing on how to clean the ears of cats - are you sure you're not a vet lurking here?
I am just a humble IT person and not even close to a vet.

With 8 cats at home, I hardly use cotton bud to clean their ear. For my four 5 month old kittens, I never use cotton bud on their ears.

Just rub a little FrontLine on the kitten's ears when they are still very young. This will help to prevent mites infection on it initial stage. Nursing mother ears had to be treated too.

When ear chankers/mites had infected the ear, it almost impossible for not to clean the ear as those oily sticky wax tend to buildup with time.

Always check on the cat's ears for lumps. Healthy ears feel even and soft. If you sense lumps or harden skin on the ears, it a sign of mite infection. Immediately apply the ear with FrontLine. Or you can use Troy's Rascar Medicated shampoo, dilute with water apply externally around the ear.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:47 AM
Banned

is it safe to apply frontline on nursing queen's ears?

the diluted shampoo method - won't the cat ingest it when it grooms itself? if is safe for ingestion? just a thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bareen View Post
I am just a humble IT person and not even close to a vet.

With 8 cats at home, I hardly use cotton bud to clean their ear. For my four 5 month old kittens, I never use cotton bud on their ears.

Just rub a little FrontLine on the kitten's ears when they are still very young. This will help to prevent mites infection on it initial stage. Nursing mother ears had to be treated too.

When ear chankers/mites had infected the ear, it almost impossible for not to clean the ear as those oily sticky wax tend to buildup with time.

Always check on the cat's ears for lumps. Healthy ears feel even and soft. If you sense lumps or harden skin on the ears, it a sign of mite infection. Immediately apply the ear with FrontLine. Or you can use Troy's Rascar Medicated shampoo, dilute with water apply externally around the ear.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:12 PM
Kucing Garong

on Rascar usage instruction, after 1st shampoo, the 2nd repeat shampoo should not be rinse completely. To avoid cat smallow access water, completely dry them up using hairdryer. Rinsing thoroughly when using medicated shampoo is a very common mistake. Worse if follow by normal shampoo. Mistake with a good intention.
FrontLine on nursing mother can be apply on the head and tail, not on the tummy. It safe on newborn too. Spray on beding will help too.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:13 PM
PetFinder Guru

filinlee is on a distinguished road

Hye..wanna tumpang ur thread here...

when can i feed my 3-4 weeks old kittens soaked kibbles..? are they old enuff or do i have to wait...
Old 10-08-2008, 11:11 PM
Banned

hi filinlee

no problem, appropriate question boleh tumpang,

let me see, what i've learned from my vet and from speaking to people who has fostered small kittens.

3-4 weeks kittens - if it is still nursing and prefer to nurse, let it nurse...the kitten will automatically learn to eat food (other than milk) from observing its mother.

however if you wish to train it to take on food, you can do so but only if you let it continue to nurse for milk because kittens are vulnerable this early stage and needs its mother milk for the protein it needs - it is better than what commercial kitten food can provide.

have said this, if you wish to try to wean it,what you can do is soak the kibble with water or AD canned food (hill science), mass it so it is easy to eat and chew and digest.

then offer to kitten, if it eats, then fine, it not let the kitten be. let the queen eat it up, no point in keeping the food in hope the kitten will eat it up so as not to waste.

my vet advised using AD because it contains higher protein and in very "lumat" form other canned food may contain traces of meat that kitten doesn't know how to chew yet. also don;t make it too dry a paste. i think you know how to adjust

above all, please don't use cow's milk. it is not safe for kitten. cats are lactose intolerance and taking cow milk can lead to diarrhea which can be fatal in kittens.

so go with the flow, don't rush it and just observe and let nature take its course

are you going to wean your kitten so that your cat can help nurse lynie's kittens?

so sad, lynie told me one of the kittens died. left only two now.

hope i'm giving you proper advice, you better ask for second opinion too. why not call and ask your vet?
Old 10-09-2008, 07:51 PM
PetFinder Guru

filinlee is on a distinguished road

ooo...i think i'll buy ad... ehehe... but not now.. tried yesterday.. but they dun wan... all they think now is how to get out of the cage...n hanging all over the cage climbing here and there like monkeys... screaming their heads of like hyenas...ahahahha.. couldnt sleep at all....
Old 10-09-2008, 11:54 PM
Kucing Garong

Quote:
Originally Posted by filinlee View Post
ooo...i think i'll buy ad... ehehe... but not now.. tried yesterday.. but they dun wan... all they think now is how to get out of the cage...n hanging all over the cage climbing here and there like monkeys... screaming their heads of like hyenas...ahahahha.. couldnt sleep at all....
Anak kucing aku sebaya ngan awak punya. Lom reti makan lagi jugak. Tapi aku notice dia dah pee dalam litterbox. Tadi aku catch dia cuba kunyah kertas litter. Esok start nak bagi kitten kibble yg dikisar halus camqur KRM.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:35 AM
PetFinder Guru

Celis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bareen View Post
Anak kucing aku sebaya ngan awak punya. Lom reti makan lagi jugak. Tapi aku notice dia dah pee dalam litterbox. Tadi aku catch dia cuba kunyah kertas litter. Esok start nak bagi kitten kibble yg dikisar halus camqur KRM.
Bareen my fren, one q, even im not having any kittens and just for my knowledge sake..is KRM milk replacement easily found in Kuching?In JB i never seen in any pet shops...KL been try to look and couldn.t found in few pet shops too..bareen or anyone..pls let me know, if they are selling KRM anywhere...tq
Old 10-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Kucing Garong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celis View Post
Bareen my fren, one q, even im not having any kittens and just for my knowledge sake..is KRM milk replacement easily found in Kuching?In JB i never seen in any pet shops...KL been try to look and couldn.t found in few pet shops too..bareen or anyone..pls let me know, if they are selling KRM anywhere...tq

There's few brand I noticed available at my regular petshop, Troy's Animalac Plus, Petalac and Neu Zea. Problem is, these KMR brand are not available all together at all time i.e if Neu Zea is on the shelf, Petalac or Animalac wont be available. If Animalac is available, the others aren't. There's no choice if one really need KMR. The last purchase I made was Petalac